Nice work with the data. Sadly, a lot of people don't even know that blackberries are still being made. When people see that I have a blackberry they say: "Wow you still got one of those?!?" and I say "yeah and they still make them!"
    04-26-16 03:45 PM
    Absolutely right, but unfortunately mostly of this world's crazy and shallow people are just interested in good cameras, games and apps, sad it is. We're a minority
    This is the attitude that got BlackBerry in trouble. Conceit.
    04-26-16 04:03 PM
    We're a minority
    And that's a good thing.
    04-26-16 04:05 PM
    why is it crazy? the way tech has advanced has made it possible for a phone to be a gaming machine, a dependable camera, as well as an all around communication device.
    It's crazy because 16 year old teenagers are setting the course determining what phones companies build and what is "cool" currently at the moment, and that determines availability for the market for ALL of us.

Its also "crazy" that people get "bored" with a phone or OS after probably only a few months now because people have such a short attention span. We can only buy what the companies make. The "old days" being only a couple years ago, where there was lots of choice, are dwindling fast.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    TheAuthority likes this.
    04-26-16 04:17 PM
    Absolutely right, but unfortunately mostly of this world's crazy and shallow people are just interested in good cameras, games and apps, sad it is. We're a minority
    Wow. I remember the days when Apple fans were frequently called "smug" and "elitist" and "condescending," but I never encountered anyone that fit those descriptors better than this post.
    04-26-16 04:52 PM
    Thanks mate. I'm a former BBOS, z10 and Passport user too. I even just bought a Bold about 3 weeks ago as a backup. However, I'm also a realist and a Data Analyst by profession and totally understand the visualisation you've put up.

I totally agree with everything you said and it's the same reason why for personal, and for the love of BlackBerry that I moved to the Priv. I want them to survive as a handset maker and for now, the only way forward is to give the people what they want. Which means.. Android.

BlackBerry 10 is fantastic but it sure is not gonna keep BlackBerry in business as a handset maker. I really wish the die hards would be a lot more realistic and put their emotions to the side and just get the Priv. Keep your BlackBerry 10 phones of course but upgrade if you can afford it.

Keep BlackBerry in business or we all lose.

Posted via the BlackBerry Priv�
    The problem with that logic is that. Not every one wants android. I fall into that category. Just cause it has Blackberrys name on it doesn't make it a BlackBerry. I have used android and found it a mess. So android is not An option I want to be "FORCED " to use. I am came to BlackBerry to get away for Android. I have seen and played with the priv. I don't like it at all. 1. It's and Android phone. I can't stand that you have to 50 million things running just to make it a usable phone. 2. It's square edges. Don't like them. 3 it doesn't feel good in you hands. It top heavy with keyboards out they keys feel cheap. Like they will break any moment. I don't want one. And don't see why I should buy one just to support BlackBerry. I love my bb10 phone. I don't want to give it up. I will probably be forced to next year but have no plans on buy a square pos just cause it has a BlackBerry sticker on it.

#luvmybb10os
    04-26-16 05:13 PM
    It's crazy because 16 year old teenagers are setting the course determining what phones companies build and what is "cool" currently at the moment, and that determines availability for the market for ALL of us.

Its also "crazy" that people get "bored" with a phone or OS after probably only a few months now because people have such a short attention span. We can only buy what the companies make. The "old days" being only a couple years ago, where there was lots of choice, are dwindling fast.

didn't know 16 year olds had that kind of spending power. again, it's not crazy to want a phone that does a lot if technology allows for it. Sure, we used to have a few more choices before (bada, bbos, Symbian, me ego, Android, ios), but all of them failed to innovate. I guess my point is we shouldn't have to settle for basic communication on a phone when we can get much more, and bb didn't quite get that.
    MikeX74, JeepBB and TgeekB like this.
    04-26-16 06:01 PM
    BlackBerry's biggest failure was to not make bb10 disruptive. (and maybe name it bb10).

The QNX model of distributed computing had the ability to completely disrupt the market, but instead they didn't do anything with it.
    BlackBerry didn't learn from Apple iPhone's history and QNX's approach to development tools. All the dev kits were not available when the iPhone first arrived and Apple expected developers to use Web technologies for apps. BlackBerry was in a better situation because Android was open source and growing in developer popularity and could have considered Android to be the Qt for mobile. QNX chose a third party cross platform development tool for Neutrino while BlackBerry created a proprietary solution in Cascades.

Now, I am not suggesting that BlackBerry should have adopted Android as it is doing now, but that, had they focused on getting Android apps to provide the user experience of Flow they may have been able to deliver some of the unique functionality of Neutrino to Android apps within the similar time frame that BlackBerry required to deliver BB10. Thus "disrupting the market", as you said, while allowing developers to use their existing software assets and knowledge. Openess not closed gardeness and unique OS capabilities would have truly differentiated BB10 in the marketplace. In 2013 GMS was not present in apps like it is today.

Another interesting tidbit is that Android doesn't have to run on Linux it could run on top of Neutrino (or some other OS). It could be running on top of BB10 and out-of-the box it looks and acts like Android by running the Android Launcher (as an app) upon booting. The Android Compatibility Document suggests that alternative runtime environments could be utilized if encapsulated in a Java app. However, a third party app could simply reduce the Java Launcher to an Active Frame and expose BB10. Imagine a single SKU BlackBerry Android and BB10 device for the carrier stores. The OP has shown the decline in market share, but it is sales numbers that have made R&D required for the above premature. It just may happen that BBRY will determine that putting their proprietary OS under Android will be the best way to differentiate their products.
    04-26-16 06:06 PM
    didn't know 16 year olds had that kind of spending power. again, it's not crazy to want a phone that does a lot if technology allows for it.
    http://www.cnet.com/news/smartphones...f-teen-market/

And of course it is nice to have features, I have an iphone also and I like certain apps, but teens are a huge part of the Market and what they determine is "cool" sells. Unfortunately they do not run out and buy Blackberry anymore.

It is also "crazy" that most if not all the cellular commercials are geared towards youth. They know what they are doing to appeal to the ones that want these features, perhaps more than older age groups.

Companies have to have more FEATURES otherwise people get bored and migrate to something different, as BB learned the hard way.

04-26-16 06:19 PM
    BB10 (and/or maybe the Priv?) is like the Sega Dreamcast. A respectable effort with good traits but ultimately just not good enough.

Sega used to be one of the major players in the console gaming market, with the Sega Genesis practically being a household name at one point, but their popularity waned along with business, and while Sega is still alive and in much better shape than BB (they still have a ton of revenue from traditional arcades), they have not made any home consumer hardware since 2001 (when they killed the Dreamcast), and focus on making software for their former competitors.

That's what BB will likely become IMO (Android really is just too saturated, and just look at HTC's own woes... I don't have much faith in BB's Android efforts). It'll live on as a much smaller software company, and we'll probably be seeing a few more BB-developed apps on the Play Store and App Store in the coming years.
    silversmith75 likes this.
    04-26-16 06:24 PM
    http://www.cnet.com/news/smartphones...f-teen-market/

And of course it is nice to have features, I have an iphone also and I like certain apps, but teens are a huge part of the Market and what they determine is "cool" sells. Unfortunately they do not run out and buy Blackberry anymore.

It is also "crazy" that most if not all the cellular commercials are geared towards youth. They know what they are doing to appeal to the ones that want these features, perhaps more than older age groups.

Companies have to have more FEATURES otherwise people get bored and migrate to something different, as BB learned the hard way.

BlackBerry is unpopular in all demographics. People want apps and a good camera and they are not much interested in a PKB.

Speaking for myself, I like what BlackBerry has done with Android. I would be interested in a mid priced BlackBerry all touch. I find Android just as good as iOS. I will say that the BlackBerry VKB works just fine on Android.
    04-26-16 06:42 PM
    No matter how much you fine tune an android, it just fragments into pieces over a simple monthly usage. BB10 is the opposite. Keeps getting better once all the bits fall into their places.

Posted via CB10
    I've had an Android phone for a year and I'm still waiting for this magical slowdown that I keep reading about here. It might be true for some, but that's any device. Even BB10.
    04-26-16 06:46 PM
    I only use BlackBerry 10.

"Apps"? Rubbish.
    iOS? Rubbish.
    Google Spydroid? Rubbish.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 04-26-16 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Removal of generic insult.
    04-26-16 06:54 PM
    BlackBerry is unpopular in all demographics.
    correct, and unfortunate.

04-26-16 06:58 PM
    People want apps and a good camera and they are not much interested in a PKB.
    I agree BUT if this is true then the Priv should be right up there with a Galaxy S7 and Iphone 6S, but it isn't. I still think it comes down to the "coolness" factor. Of course there are many factors but something is missing.

04-26-16 07:02 PM
    I agree BUT if this is true then the Priv should be right up there with a Galaxy S7 and Iphone 6S, but it isn't. I still think it comes down to the "coolness" factor. Of course there are many factors but something is missing.

"Not much interested in a PKB" Few are willing to pay for a feature that they do not need.

The LG4 is very close to being a PRIV with no PKB. The LG4 is priced well under a PRIV. To be competitive, BlackBerry would need to make an all touch device that is priced in line with the LG.
    04-26-16 07:45 PM
    "Not much interested in a PKB" Few are willing to pay for a feature that they do not need.

The LG4 is very close to being a PRIV with no PKB. The LG4 is priced well under a PRIV. To be competitive, BlackBerry would need to make an all touch device that is priced in line with the LG.
    what do you think is more important to be successful, low PRICE or more FEATURES?

04-26-16 07:59 PM
    what do you think is more important to be successful, low PRICE or more FEATURES?

Value.. Perceived value. I would be looking for a sturdy, high quality built phone that would last at least three years. I would want a guarantee that OS updates etc would be available for a reasonable period no less than an Nexus. My own personal value / price point is somewhere between Nexus and Samsung.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-26-16 08:53 PM
    Value.. Perceived value. I would be looking for a sturdy, high quality built phone that would last at least three years. I would want a guarantee that OS updates etc would be available for a reasonable period no less than an Nexus. My own personal value / price point is somewhere between Nexus and Samsung.
    Ya I read that Google Nexus phones get Android updates before all other Android devices, but no idea if that is true or not. I have heard bad things about Android, such as 17% of apps being Malware and the app security is not well "controlled."

The ios podcats I listen to talks about the Android updates having only something like a 25% download rate compared to 80% or whatever to ios.
    I wonder if the DL rates are any different for Blackberry's Android software and if anyone here ever had an update with Android that was Malware?

So I am hearing that Blackberry WILL be offering 2 new devices this year BUT then on AppyGeek last night they said "Blackberry is officially done with Hardware" so what do we believe? If they are going through with the release this year I think its obvious they are trying to keep the loyal BB users by also offering a PKB and the VKB both. This is probably what they were doing by offering the PKB slider on the Priv as well.

04-26-16 09:06 PM
    Ya I read that Google Nexus phones get Android updates before all other Android devices, but no idea if that is true or not. I have heard bad things about Android, such as 17% of apps being Malware and the app security is not well "controlled."

The ios podcats I listen to talks about the Android updates having only something like a 25% download rate compared to 80% or whatever to ios.
    I wonder if the DL rates are any different for Blackberry's Android software and if anyone here ever had an update with Android that was Malware?

So I am hearing that Blackberry WILL be offering 2 new devices this year BUT then on AppyGeek last night they said "Blackberry is officially done with Hardware" so what do we believe? If they are going through with the release this year I think its obvious they are trying to keep the loyal BB users by also offering a PKB and the VKB both. This is probably what they were doing by offering the PKB slider on the Priv as well.

It's actually less than a percent for malware, and the Nexus devices receive monthly security updates as does the BlackBerry Priv. Safe to assume the rumored two devices slated for later this year will also be similarly updated which is a significant plus.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    04-26-16 09:15 PM
    It's actually less than a percent for malware, and the Nexus devices receive monthly security updates as does the BlackBerry Priv. Safe to assume the rumored two devices slated for later this year will also be similarly updated which is a significant plus.
    Awesome news. So I gotta be careful on the ios podcasts

Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    04-26-16 09:21 PM

There are two types of updates. One being the OS and the other being security updates. In this regard Nexus is superior to Samsung. There are many Android phones out there and if you buy a new Samsung that is not a flagship, you may not get an OS update and security updates might be tardy.

Blackberry needs to follow the Nexus methodology and not the Samsung practises.

Blackberry has no choice but to leave the market or to be a superior Android OEM.
    04-26-16 09:45 PM
    Why isn't Canada in this Data?
    04-26-16 10:01 PM
    Going Android was a stop gap measure. It will not be good for them in the long run. BlackBerry can not compete in the hardware war. All their devices the have release far have been released with specs far less that their competitors. The android market is tough and very crowded and dominated by Asian companies. BlackBerry doesn't have the resources to cut into this market. BB10 still remains their most viable option. Nothing sell itself these days. BB10 failed because of poor pricing and promotion.

BB10 or Nothing! BlackBerry Forever!
    And nearly a fatal lack of support. Many users weren't forgiving once the slide started, and saw the arrogance from the corporate side in full blossom.

I've seen some of the most ardent users say sayonara, permanently. Disappointment, facing denial, and finally accepting the change and getting over it. Some have completely gone off the radar, others I know on our sister sites now, some who even changed their name rather than be associated with their persona here.
    04-26-16 10:19 PM
    I've had an Android phone for a year and I'm still waiting for this magical slowdown that I keep reading about here. It might be true for some, but that's any device. Even BB10.
    The only phone I had a slowdown on was the S4 when it upgraded to Lollipop, which had so much in it that the poor 16 gig storage couldn't keep up. So my next was a 64 gig Note 5 and still singing sweetly.
    04-26-16 10:23 PM
133 1234 ...