Here's a visualization I created of Kantar WorldPanel data from the past 4 years.

This is why BlackBerry had to go Android-k.png

Click this link for the interactive dashboard: https://public.tableau.com/views/Kan...es&:showTabs=y

It's difficult to really understand how far BB10/BBOS market share has fallen - and how long it has been falling - until you see a visualization like this.

You see the purple section of the area chart? That's BlackBerry's BB10/BBOS. Even at its thickest back in 2012 it was only about 11% of the total worldwide market share (of the countries for which Kantar had data).

Now it is a few tenths of one percent.

BlackBerry needed to see that purple section get larger from 2013 forward in order to stay the course with BB10. But that didn't happen. They really had no other alternative but to go Android to try to save their handset business.

Despite what the armchair CEOs claim, no amount of marketing, apps, or bleeding-edge hardware specs could have stemmed the tide of iOS and Android. It's obvious that, to have any chance of remaining competitive in the handset market, BlackBerry needed to make drastic changes back when they were still called RIM and Mike and Jim were in charge.

At the end of the day, BB10 is my platform. I'm enjoying my Q10 and Z10 (I've also owned a Q5 and Z30 in the past) and plan to get a Passport. I'll ride the BB10 train to the end of the line and hope that by then BlackBerry's Android offerings are still around and much improved from the PRIV.
    04-25-16 02:31 PM
    11% and still the most efficient and solid OS I have ever used.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-25-16 02:43 PM
    Thanks mate. I'm a former BBOS, z10 and Passport user too. I even just bought a Bold about 3 weeks ago as a backup. However, I'm also a realist and a Data Analyst by profession and totally understand the visualisation you've put up.

I totally agree with everything you said and it's the same reason why for personal, and for the love of BlackBerry that I moved to the Priv. I want them to survive as a handset maker and for now, the only way forward is to give the people what they want. Which means.. Android.

BlackBerry 10 is fantastic but it sure is not gonna keep BlackBerry in business as a handset maker. I really wish the die hards would be a lot more realistic and put their emotions to the side and just get the Priv. Keep your BlackBerry 10 phones of course but upgrade if you can afford it.

Keep BlackBerry in business or we all lose.

Posted via the BlackBerry Priv�
    Last edited by naijab0y; 04-25-16 at 03:05 PM.
    04-25-16 02:53 PM
    A picture is worth a thousand words. Nicely done. It certainly gives perspective to the situation.
    04-25-16 03:00 PM
    Going Android was a stop gap measure. It will not be good for them in the long run. BlackBerry can not compete in the hardware war. All their devices the have release far have been released with specs far less that their competitors. The android market is tough and very crowded and dominated by Asian companies. BlackBerry doesn't have the resources to cut into this market. BB10 still remains their most viable option. Nothing sell itself these days. BB10 failed because of poor pricing and promotion.

BB10 or Nothing! BlackBerry Forever!
    04-25-16 03:04 PM
    Going Android was a stop gap measure. It will not be good for them in the long run. BlackBerry can not compete in the hardware war. All their devices the have release far have been released with specs far less that their competitors. The android market is tough and very crowded and dominated by Asian companies. BlackBerry doesn't have the resources to cut into this market. BB10 still remains their most viable option. Nothing sell itself these days. BB10 failed because of poor pricing and promotion.

I agree that going Android has its risks, but I disagree that BB10 failed because of pricing and bad marketing.

BB10 was DOA because it launched too late with too few big-name apps and was an incomplete and buggy experience on the Z10 at first.

No amount of "promotion" could have convinced millions of Android and iOS users to just abandon their well-established app and media ecosystems - and the money they had already invested in them - for an unproven, unknown, and initially unreliable platform.

Maybe they would have attracted more interest if they had priced the Z10 in the $400 range, but then they immediately lose whatever perception they may have had as a premium brand and they slash their profit margins so the outcome is the same - they don't make a profit and they can't sustain their handset business.
    TgeekB, Witmen, TGR1 and 5 others like this.
    04-25-16 03:22 PM
    You see the purple section of the area chart? That's BlackBerry's BB10/BBOS. Even at its thickest back in 2012 it was only about 11% of the total worldwide market share (of the countries for which Kantar had data).

Now it is a few tenths of one percent.

You forgot one thing, BBOS was in the "niche" market, thats why it had only 11%, android is a worldwide OS product, iOS is trying to become a worldwide OS, even WP is trying to become worldwide OS, in the mean time Blackberry CEO still keeping BB10 as a "niche" OS and keeps it in the "niche market" which does not exist in 2010's world.

in 2000's you could buy BBOS in the most of countries, even in the few European countries, but today with BB10 is nowhere to buy, no devices in the stores, it's a pain to buy even Priv, how they expet to make 10 million devices/per year if they do not sell them? For me.. it makes no sense.

Even BBOS poorly distributed, but in that time all devices success belonged to phone manufacturers itself, there was no apps to download, only what was in devices, BBOS with email service was huge advantage if you compare with Nokia Symbian devices. Well, that time pasted, today you need Operating System with app exosystem, but who the hell wants to spend money on apps for "niche" market device in 2010's?

If only John Chen made BB10 a worldwide OS product available everywhere where at least iOS are to become direct competitor with the half the price, BB10 could become as popular as iOS in seconds, just IMHO.
    04-25-16 03:37 PM
    4x post? a mod needs to delete some.
    04-25-16 03:52 PM
    BlackBerry's biggest failure was to not make bb10 disruptive. (and maybe name it bb10).

The QNX model of distributed computing had the ability to completely disrupt the market, but instead they didn't do anything with it.

Enterprise users dropping their phone on a dumb terminal to work or using a dumb tablet while having a personal or enterprise cloud to always work off of would have been incredibly disruptive. Dumb terminals on trains and planes would have added to this.

Add on your car and phone being 'one' and the whole thing could have been clinched.

It was all there. During the coming out party of bb10 they showed the (very leaked) hub and flow. Why wasn�t a QNX car and Tecknision home automation and a dumb terminal a part of that demonstration?

It could have been so different...

Posted via CB10
    DonHB and thedose like this.
    04-25-16 09:47 PM
    I read recently somewhere that 5 years ago Blackberry was 75% of the total cell phone sales globally, now they are less than 1% or specifically 0.2%. Not sure if that relates to your findings or not.

But no Android for me thanks.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    thedose and rt2567 like this.
    04-25-16 10:51 PM
    Why wasn�t a QNX car and Tecknision home automation and a dumb terminal a part of that demonstration?
    Seriously? A dumb terminal? You can buy a Google Chromebook for about $150 and it actually works as a computer. Are you talking about a terminal that is dumber and cheaper than that? Do you really expect people to allocate space at work, trains, planes, and cars to a dumb terminal that doesn't do anything unless the right kind of smartphone is dropped into it? Why would I want to put the smartphone in there if my content is in the cloud? You can't tell me that hooking up my smartphone to whatever terminal happens to be free is more convenient and secure than carrying around a Chromebook or some other notebook.

Blackberry can't even decide on a handset configuration so I can't imagine distributing any kind of hardware receptacle before their smartphone of the year has been discontinued.
    04-25-16 10:56 PM
    BB10 still remains their most viable option. Nothing sell itself these days. BB10 failed because of poor pricing and promotion.
    I agree that Android is not a fix but, BB10? Not even a hail mary option let alone a "Viable" one. BB10 failed because it was too little tool late. It was released as an unfinished product on mid level phones masquerading as high end devices. BB10 should have been in development waaaaay back in 2005-2006. Released around 2007 as an all touch device. This would have had the best chance of success. Releasing something that resembled an iPhone SIX YEARS after the iPhone swept the market was a blunder of epic proportions. I defy anyone to name a successful BB launch post 2013.
    04-25-16 11:22 PM
    No matter how much you fine tune an android, it just fragments into pieces over a simple monthly usage. BB10 is the opposite. Keeps getting better once all the bits fall into their places.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-16 12:07 AM
    I really wish the die hards would be a lot more realistic and put their emotions to the side and just get the Priv.
    If the "die hards" put their emotions completely to the side, most probably will not buy a Priv. There are lots of Android phones to choose from.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and GadgetTravel like this.
    04-26-16 12:22 AM
    I agree that Android is not a fix but, BB10? Not even a hail mary option let alone a "Viable" one. BB10 failed because it was too little tool late. It was released as an unfinished product on mid level phones masquerading as high end devices. BB10 should have been in development waaaaay back in 2005-2006. Released around 2007 as an all touch device. This would have had the best chance of success. Releasing something that resembled an iPhone SIX YEARS after the iPhone swept the market was a blunder of epic proportions. I defy anyone to name a successful BB launch post 2013.
    Developed way back in 2006? There was no need for that because BlackBerry had a system that was working. BB10 was not the problem, but rather a good solution implemented poorly. Research the capabilities of the QNX OS and you will realise that it is a disruptor if implemented properly. Like I said nothing sells itself. Had they gone around prompting it and also targeted markets were growth was occurring, they would have garnered enough numbers to keep developers interested and we wouldn't have this app gap.

They can still turn around this situation and bounce back. BlackBerry is no longer a prime brand so they can not expect to sell at the same price with high end devices from Apple and Samsung. They should price their devices in the mid range, promote and sell them in the emerging markets.

DonHB and thedose like this.
    04-26-16 12:50 AM
    Developed way back in 2006? There was no need for that because BlackBerry had a system that was working. BB10 was not the problem, but rather a good solution implemented poorly. Research the capabilities of the QNX OS and you will realise that it is a disruptor if implemented properly. Like I said nothing sells itself. Had they gone around prompting it and also targeted markets were growth was occurring, they would have garnered enough numbers to keep developers interested and we wouldn't have this app gap.

They can still turn around this situation and bounce back. BlackBerry is no longer a prime brand so they can not expect to sell at the same price with high end devices from Apple and Samsung. They should price their devices in the mid range, promote and sell them in the emerging markets.

The iPhone threat wasn't realized in time... :-(

Coaches like Michael Hyatt and others used to be BlackBerry users, now he's completely immersed in the Apple ecosystem, because it works for him.

I'm not sure, he probably won't return to BlackBerry Android because of Android's fragmentation problems. Also, devices are simply not supplied with updates long enough, as opposed to iDevices.

:-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    04-26-16 02:10 AM
    The iPhone threat wasn't realized in time... :-(

Coaches like Michael Hyatt and others used to be BlackBerry users, now he's completely immersed in the Apple ecosystem, because it works for him.

I'm not sure, he probably won't return to BlackBerry Android because of Android's fragmentation problems. Also, devices are simply not supplied with updates long enough, as opposed to iDevices.

:-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    Too bad Chen cannot release an "IoS phone by BlackBerry".
    He'd gloriously fail with that, too.

It wasn't BB10 that caused the lack of popularity of BlackBerry phones, although gesture control was a steep learning curve for some.
    It was poor execution, brand lack of popularity (not cool to sport a BlackBerry ), and lack of marketing.
    Those three led to app developers not supporting the platform.

Bb10 is good, and could have been developed to full mobile computing OS.
    Last edited by sorinv; 04-26-16 at 04:58 PM.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    04-26-16 06:10 AM
    you forgot one thing, one post is all you needed.

You forget one thing, BBOS was in the "niche" market so "their called" "business and government", thats why it had only 11%, android is a worldwide OS product, iOS is trying to become a worldwide OS, even WP is trying to become worldwide OS, in the mean time Blackberry CEO still keeping BB10 as a "niche" OS and keeps it in the "niche market" which does not exist in 2010's world.

in 2000's you could buy BBOS mostly in the US market, even in the few European countries, but today with BB10 is nowhere to buy, no devices in the stores, it's a pain to buy even Priv, how they expect to make 10 million devices/per year if they do not sell them? For me.. it makes no sense.

Even BBOS was poorly distributed, but in that time all devices success belonged to phone manufacturers itself, there was no apps to download, only what was in devices itself, BBOS with email service was huge advantage if you compare with Nokia Symbian devices. Well, that time pasted, today you need Operating System with app ecosystem, but who the hell wants to spend money on apps for "niche" market device in 2010's? Who the hell wants to make apps for few Americans and Canadians in 2010's world? No offense.

+ If only John Chen made BB10 a worldwide OS product available at least in all countries where iOS are to become direct competitor with the half the price or even the same, BB10 could become as popular as iOS in seconds, just IMHO.
    04-26-16 06:27 AM

That "no need" attitude is exactly what sunk BB. The situation will never turn around that's a pipe dream. The working system was dated and the industry was moving ahead fast. BB was arrogant in thinking that because they were the king of the hill they could just hit cruise control and coast. When you're at the top eveyone wants to knock you down and there is only one way to go when you are #1. That direction is down. BB started to lose ground and they were lucky enough to grab the last rung on the ladder. their grip is tenuous at best
    04-26-16 09:10 AM
    It was poor execution, brand lack of popularity (not cool to sport a BlackBerry ), and lack of marketing.
    Also just too much "HYPE." It was considered a "let down" after all the fuss was made for it.

anon(6038817) likes this.
    04-26-16 11:54 AM
    BlackBerry's biggest failure was to not make bb10 disruptive. (and maybe name it bb10).

The QNX model of distributed computing had the ability to completely disrupt the market, but instead they didn't do anything with it.

Enterprise users dropping their phone on a dumb terminal to work or using a dumb tablet while having a personal or enterprise cloud to always work off of would have been incredibly disruptive. Dumb terminals on trains and planes would have added to this.

Add on your car and phone being 'one' and the whole thing could have been clinched.

It was all there. During the coming out party of bb10 they showed the (very leaked) hub and flow. Why wasn’t a QNX car and Tecknision home automation and a dumb terminal a part of that demonstration?

It could have been so different...

Posted via CB10
    Distributed computing is indeed a brilliant and disruptive concept, but it wouldn't have saved BlackBerry handsets. The market was not ready for it. Only now are they even starting to come around to the concept.
    04-26-16 12:23 PM
    I read recently somewhere that 5 years ago Blackberry was 75% of the total cell phone sales globally, now they are less than 1% or specifically 0.2%. Not sure if that relates to your findings or not.

But no Android for me thanks.

Cell phone sales and OS market share are 2 completely different measures, of course, but the trend has surely been the same: declining.
    04-26-16 12:24 PM
    No matter how much you fine tune an android, it just fragments into pieces over a simple monthly usage.
    Hmm...I've been using my OnePlus One for 18 months. What exactly is this fragmentation into pieces that you say I'm experiencing? It's currently working better than when I bought it. With Marshmallow, battery life is now better than my Passport, with a smaller battery.

To listen to many people around here, my Android phone should be nearly unusable after 18 months. I'd like to know what, specifically, is supposed to be going wrong, so I can see if anything like that is happening.
    04-26-16 12:53 PM
    11% and still the most efficient and solid OS I have ever used.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Absolutely right, but unfortunately mostly of this world's crazy and shallow people are just interested in good cameras, games and apps, sad it is. We're a minority
    04-26-16 01:48 PM
    Absolutely right, but unfortunately mostly of this world's crazy and shallow people are just interested in good cameras, games and apps, sad it is. We're a minority
    why is it crazy? the way tech has advanced has made it possible for a phone to be a gaming machine, a dependable camera, as well as an all around communication device.
    JeepBB, TgeekB, Bbnivende and 3 others like this.
    04-26-16 03:34 PM
133 123 ...