Great, Its a rebranded Idol 4 with some extra security added.
    It's a great little phone, actually. I've been using it for about three weeks, and have absolutely no complaints as an all touch device. It's better than I expected, especially the battery. I easily get a day of moderate usage, the screen is fantastic, great audio quality overall (volume could be a bit higher)...

Who cares if it's a TCL device? We're talking about a slab phone, there's not a huge variety of design choices you can make on them. That's why everyone goes nuts on the internal specs like they're purchasing a car, lol. As much as I like it, I'm waiting on the Mercury / PKB BlackBerry. I'm satisfied with their take on Android, and I'm going to jump on the PKB as soon as it launches. But for my friends, I'll happily recommend this phone, especially at the reasonable price.
    08-28-16 08:22 PM
    Great, Its a rebranded Idol 4 with some extra security added.
    ... on the hardware level. And that's exactly what makes the difference and that really matters.

Also, I believe there will be a chip vetting process of some kind as they've done in the past, so no spyware chips are embedded... :-D

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    08-28-16 08:54 PM
    It's a great little phone, actually. I've been using it for about three weeks, and have absolutely no complaints as an all touch device. It's better than I expected, especially the battery. I easily get a day of moderate usage, the screen is fantastic, great audio quality overall (volume could be a bit higher)...

Who cares if it's a TCL device? We're talking about a slab phone, there's not a huge variety of design choices you can make on them. That's why everyone goes nuts on the internal specs like they're purchasing a car, lol. As much as I like it, I'm waiting on the Mercury / PKB BlackBerry. I'm satisfied with their take on Android, and I'm going to jump on the PKB as soon as it launches. But for my friends, I'll happily recommend this phone, especially at the reasonable price.
    I don't care that's it's a TCL device. I also own one and besides the battery I think it's a nice device.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    08-28-16 08:54 PM
    I don't care that's it's a TCL device. I also own one and besides the battery I think it's a nice device.
    Odd that you would buy it if its nothing but an idol 4 with a different back cover and BlackBerry software. Heck you could have bought an idol 4 with VR for much cheaper and just added the BlackBerry software suite from Google play now that it's available.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-28-16 08:59 PM
    Odd that you would buy it if its nothing but an idol 4 with a different back cover and BlackBerry software. Heck you could have bought an idol 4 with VR for much cheaper and just added the BlackBerry software suite from Google play now that it's available.

Ray you are always there for me. Thanks for being a good friend.
    08-28-16 09:02 PM
    From inside BlackBerry below (but I suppose you and donnation are more informed):

Security at the Chip Level: Our hardware root of trust adds security keys to DTEK50�s processor as it�s being built, rather than layering it on afterward with extra software, like our competitors do. Add-ons can create conflicts with other hardware or software on a device. Fewer potential conflicts means fewer malfunctioning devices and less employee downtime.

How is BlackBerry able to modify the processor (Snapdragon 617) when they don't make the processor?

Also, many of the features mentioned, such as secure boot, malware detection, etc. Are features of the Snapdragon processors.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/security

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/sn...processors/617

Posted via Nexus 6p
    08-28-16 11:46 PM
    How is BlackBerry able to modify the processor (Snapdragon 617) when they don't make the processor?

Also, many of the features mentioned, such as secure boot, malware detection, etc. Are features of the Snapdragon processors.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/security

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/sn...processors/617

Posted via Nexus 6p
    Another exert from inside BlackBerry:

Hardware Root of Trust: "During manufacturing, we establish a Hardware Root of Trust that adds security keys to the processor on every DTEK50 and PRIV as it is built. Those keys track, verify, and provision each device � meaning that the authenticity and integrity of your device is guaranteed, as is the safety of the data it holds."

Clearly Qualcomm allows BlackBerry to inject their own cryptographic keys during the manufacturing process.

Or BlackBerry is completely lying and the 2 people in this thread disputing that are really in the know. Ya that must be it.

There is a reason why every manufacturer who uses Qualcomm isn't instantly disputing BlackBerry's claim of having the world's most secure android.

bh7171 likes this.
    08-29-16 12:00 AM
    I have always said that an Android phone with a lable stuck on it (like the lastest Android) is NOT a Blackberry. I think their getting closer to this with every model released.
    08-29-16 01:05 AM
    You can say it's not a blackberry but it doesn't make it true, it is a blackberry, how where or by whom it's made does not alter the fact that it is what it's branding says it is.
    I design literally dozens and dozens of protein bars for various companies and they are the bars their packaging says they are, they aren't dcal1701 bars just because I made them..................

Posted via CB10
    08-29-16 02:44 AM
    You can say it's not a blackberry but it doesn't make it true, it is a blackberry, how where or by whom it's made does not alter the fact that it is what it's branding says it is.
    I design literally dozens and dozens of protein bars for various companies and they are the bars their packaging says they are, they aren't dcal1701 bars just because I made them..................

Posted via CB10
    No one is saying its not a Blackberry, at least I wasn't saying that. The OP asked why their was no logo on the front of the phone and the answer is because the phone is a rebranded Idol 4.
    08-29-16 05:51 AM
    Another exert from inside BlackBerry:

Hardware Root of Trust: "During manufacturing, we establish a Hardware Root of Trust that adds security keys to the processor on every DTEK50 and PRIV as it is built. Those keys track, verify, and provision each device – meaning that the authenticity and integrity of your device is guaranteed, as is the safety of the data it holds."

Clearly Qualcomm allows BlackBerry to inject their own cryptographic keys during the manufacturing process.

Or BlackBerry is completely lying and the 2 people in this thread disputing that are really in the know. Ya that must be it.

There is a reason why every manufacturer who uses Qualcomm isn't instantly disputing BlackBerry's claim of having the world's most secure android.

Root of Trust... Qualcomm had that befroe BlackBerry even taught of using Android.

As Troy said... if BlackBerry is having Qualcomm make them a small "special" batch of processors, if they then having TCL incorporate those processors on "special" chipsets designed for the Idol 4, and making "special" runs on the Idol 4 assembly lines. Then BlackBerry has LOST just about every cost savings that using an off the shelf product would have given them. And exposing themselves to a lot of inventory issues. Phones sell great... delays in getting all those "special" parts in place and built. Phones are a flop, bunch of "special" unsold parts.....

If these are "special" chips, we would see the same chip in every BlackBerry phone being released this year. In order to spread out the cost, and give BlackBerry some economy of scale to work with.

I'm not saying BlackBerry is lying in what they are saying... only that they are pushing the boundaries when they say "we". May here think instantly "we" is BlackBerry, when what I think "we" is more BlackBerry and the rest of their partners in building these phones.

But in the end it is a very secure phone... as I don't know that many Android OEM's are interested in securing their phones all that well. Many Android power users would avoid a phone locked down to that level.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    08-29-16 07:28 AM
    The lack of the BlackBerry name is probably a marketing ploy. A mistake in my opinion.
    08-29-16 09:37 AM
    I have always said that an Android phone with a lable stuck on it (like the lastest Android) is NOT a Blackberry. I think their getting closer to this with every model released.
    How BlackBerrys are made has changed. If all you can see is the external package, then clearly the DTEK50 is not for you.
    08-29-16 09:43 AM
    A modern microprocessor consists of multiple hardware chips, some of which are ROMs that have to be programmed after the bare hardware is manufactured. The security keys that BlackBerry refers to is BlackBerry's unique code that is programmed into those ROM chips.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-29-16 09:53 AM
    No one is saying its not a Blackberry, at least I wasn't saying that. The OP asked why their was no logo on the front of the phone and the answer is because the phone is a rebranded Idol 4.
    The post directly above mine said exactly that.........

Posted via CB10
    08-29-16 12:02 PM
    thank goodness that it took BlackBerry using another companies phone to stop smearing their logo fecies all over the place. There is no reason to have the word BlackBerry on the the front on the phone. Not one, zero.
    08-29-16 01:30 PM
    thank goodness that it took BlackBerry using another companies phone to stop smearing their logo fecies all over the place. There is no reason to have the word BlackBerry on the the front on the phone. Not one, zero.
    Yeah, don't mind the absence, but overall ambivalent about it. I like the logo on the back though. Whoever designed it back in the day did a great job, imho.

I'm guessing the Mercury will see it return though.
    08-29-16 02:44 PM
    If you look close enough you can see it, lol
    Sorry about being out of work that sucks.
    Maybe take it and have it engraved?
    Bbnivende likes this.
    08-29-16 02:47 PM
    I'm not saying BlackBerry is lying in what they are saying... only that they are pushing the boundaries when they say "we". May here think instantly "we" is BlackBerry, when what I think "we" is more BlackBerry and the rest of their partners in building these phones.
    This is it exactly. BB isn't adding any custom hardware, they are simply making use of existing Qualcomm features (via software) that many other Android vendors choose (often with good reason) not to use.

But it sounds better when BB Marketing makes it seem like they are doing it themselves and doing something unique.

As Obi-Wan once said, "What I told you is true... from a certain point of view." And that is exactly what marketing teams do: explain things from a point of view that implies advantages to their company. But I definitely don't believe there is any extra or different hardware in these phones compared to the Alcatel version.

And there doesn't NEED to be in order to support Root of Trust, because that is a Qualcomm feature anyway. Not every security feature has to be a BB created exclusive...

08-29-16 03:04 PM
    Because CHEN IS CHEAP

#soon, later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    08-29-16 03:13 PM
    This is it exactly. BB isn't adding any custom hardware, they are simply making use of existing Qualcomm features (via software) that many other Android vendors choose (often with good reason) not to use.

But it sounds better when BB Marketing makes it seem like they are doing it themselves and doing something unique.

As Obi-Wan once said, "What I told you is true... from a certain point of view." And that is exactly what marketing teams do: explain things from a point of view that implies advantages to their company. But I definitely don't believe there is any extra or different hardware in these phones compared to the Alcatel version.

And there doesn't NEED to be in order to support Root of Trust, because that is a Qualcomm feature anyway. Not every security feature has to be a BB created exclusive...

Wow. Thanks!!
    This!!!!

#soon, later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    08-29-16 03:15 PM

Once again this is all your opinion and nothing more. See below from a BlackBerry employee regarding the hardware posted in the beta zone when the device launched. Say what you will about marketing spin, I will take the word of BlackBerry and their employees over you and your opinions that have been wrong time and time again. Remember the "Z30 is the last device BlackBerry will put out" . How did that one work out for you Troy?

Quote below:

"As a side note, keep in mind that we work with partners for all of our recent devices. Though the DTEK50 used the Idol 4 as a reference device, it is not an Idol 4. The more changes you make to a reference, the more potential you have for your cost to increase (which means a higher price). Make no mistake though: the hardware specs are different, the outer hardware is different (I had the misfortune of watching an all-glass Idol4 hardware case slide off my keyboard tray sitting at a 15 degree angle -- my DTEK50s don't!), and BlackBerry's security is baked into the hardware right at the factory with no middlemen."

bh7171 likes this.
    08-29-16 03:36 PM
    Once again this is all your opinion and nothing more. See below from a BlackBerry employee regarding the hardware posted in the beta zone when the device launched. Say what you will about marketing spin, I will take the word of BlackBerry and their employees over you and your opinions that have been wrong time and time again. Remember the "Z30 is the last device BlackBerry will put out" . How did that one work out for you Troy?

Quote below:

"As a side note, keep in mind that we work with partners for all of our recent devices. Though the DTEK50 used the Idol 4 as a reference device, it is not an Idol 4. The more changes you make to a reference, the more potential you have for your cost to increase (which means a higher price). Make no mistake though: the hardware specs are different, the outer hardware is different (I had the misfortune of watching an all-glass Idol4 hardware case slide off my keyboard tray sitting at a 15 degree angle -- my DTEK50s don't!), and BlackBerry's security is baked into the hardware right at the factory with no middlemen."

Maybe we can all agree it's a TCL device, and the Idol 4 and DTEK50 are variations on a theme?

For me the DTEK50 beats the Idol 4 because I have more confidence that it'll get Google's monthly security updates, it'll be upgradable to Nougat, and I love the Hub, Swipe up on predictions and other BlackBerry special sauce. The Idol 4, by comparison, will likely be a black swan a year from now in favour of the Idol 5 and on the skinning front, there's nothing remarkable.
    08-29-16 07:52 PM
    What we need is a side by side documented tear down.
    08-29-16 10:25 PM
    What we need is a side by side documented tear down.
    Sure, then we'll be able compare the code differences in the boot ROMs, right?
    08-29-16 11:52 PM
65 123