Hey everyone! I've been lurking around the site and forums for a couple months now. Never had a reason to post anything, more just learn from everyone else. But I can never seem to find a post that answers my question, "why BB?" I currently have an iphone and I like it. It has a few quirks about it that I wish I could change, but it's a WHOLE lot better than the Tilt that I used to own. But I notice that a lot of people at my university, faculty and students use blackberries and I can't figure out why. In fact, it's getting me interested in wanting to get one.

I constantly read here how the email and messaging is top notch on BB, but when I use someone's phone, I can't see it. What am I missing? What else is it about BBs that are so awesome?
    11-16-09 01:12 AM
    Keyboard
    Push email
    Blackberry messenger
    Push notifications
    Old skool fast java os

That does it for me.

It gets the job done, its not fancy or flashy but heck its a workhorse and reliable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-09 03:14 AM
    if you have the cash buy one or a used one used it for a week or so and if you don't like it return it.

Honestly there are a lot of things other devices make look better. but if you want a trusty device that is fun to use give it a shot i guarantee you will love it.

i own a Bold 9000 a 32gb iphone 3gs and a 16gb iphone 3g the iphones are fun but unless you are in an app the phone is so boring. My bold feels like an extension of myself.
    11-16-09 03:59 AM
    if you have the cash buy one or a used one used it for a week or so and if you don't like it return it.

Honestly there are a lot of things other devices make look better. but if you want a trusty device that is fun to use give it a shot i guarantee you will love it.

i own a Bold 9000 a 32gb iphone 3gs and a 16gb iphone 3g the iphones are fun but unless you are in an app the phone is so boring. My bold feels like an extension of myself.
    It what ways are the BlackBerrys fun if not using one of the applications? O have heard that statentvmany times before aboutthe iPhone; that if you aren't using the apps, it will get boring. I am confused by these statements.

11-16-09 04:51 AM
    I'm hoping to find out what the big deal abut BlackBerries is, myself! I'm picking my first BB up here in a couple hours & I'm stoked. Of course I'm nervous about giving up my Sidekick (highly underrated phone). However, since the outage that caused me to lose all my stored data, I want a phone where I can manually back up my data & if I lose anything it's MY fault.

Since I've been using 3G on T-mobile for several months, I thought it would be logical to step into the first 3G BB! I'll try to come back to this thread & post what all the BB does better than the SK.

11-16-09 08:12 AM
    BlackBerry is the World's most sophisticated and reliable communications device, bar none.

On September 11, 2001, the attacks on America brought unprecedented demands on the nations communications infrastructure. Normal phone service was unavailable to many becasue of the call volumes. Many could not get through to their family and loved ones.

Worse yet, the Emergency Responders communications system was failing to cope with the demand.

Communications networks are built to accommodate normal peak demands. It is not economically possible to build in the redundancy to accommodate emergency perk demand.

The solution: data compression makes maximum use of the limited bandwidth available. The BlackBerry NOC stayed operational and signal use was optimized to get the message through.

That was the day BlackBerry shined. When nearly every other communications system was stressed to failure, BlackBerry email and messages were going through reliably.

A couple weeks later, another incident occured. Anthrax was detected in the mail at government and communications centers. They were shut down.

Again, communications systems were maxed out and BlackBerry was the only game in town. Government continued to function, on e-mail.

Governments and business all over the Planet have taken note, and the majority of them, including Russia and China, now conduct Government affairs on BlackBerry.

Why BlackBerry? Reliability.

11-16-09 09:44 AM
    Why BlackBerry?

[Belushi] *burp* Why Not?! [/Belushi]

Sorry. I couldn't resist. I love Animal House.

11-16-09 09:47 AM
    In no particular order:

- BES (killer for enterprise users)
    - Keyboard
    - Security
    - Reliability
    - Solid PIM
    - Push e-mail
    - UMA
    - Battery Life
    11-16-09 10:14 AM
    In no particular order:

- BES (killer for enterprise users)
    - Keyboard
    - Security
    - Reliability
    - Solid PIM
    - Push e-mail
    - UMA
    - Battery Life
    Is the push email different than the push gmail I'm using on my iphone? I use my email as much as I do texting. How reliable is it? And how good is the battery life?
    11-16-09 12:23 PM
    all the cool kids have blackberrys
    11-16-09 02:14 PM
    The iPhone browser is a light year better than the on on the BlackBerry.

Everything else, (multitasking OS), the Blackberry totally pwns the iToy.
    11-16-09 02:17 PM
    here's why i love the blackberry:

keyboard
    push notifications
    led alerts
    blackberry messenger
    tons of themes without jailbreaking (used to own an iphone)
    very customizable
    11-16-09 02:45 PM
    It what ways are the BlackBerrys fun if not using one of the applications? O have heard that statentvmany times before aboutthe iPhone; that if you aren't using the apps, it will get boring. I am confused by these statements.

you can install a bunch of different themes has a customizable interface!

the iphone is just a grid trust me i do enjoy my iphone from time to time but it seems like for the basic usage it can get very boring to look at every day.
    11-16-09 04:29 PM
    Don't get me wrong the Iphone is pretty cool but I love my blackberry. Ease of use, trackball, dedicated keyboard...Yea the iphone has a great browser but I don't think that makes up for the phone part that just plain sucks! Poor call quality and sound. I have an ipod touch I use for the browsing when I want to but when it comes to phone quality blackberry is hands down the best phone!
    11-16-09 07:25 PM
    Battery life :
    At first, I was complaining about BB' battery life : 2-3 days.
    (Emails, texting, browsing, facebook, 3G all day long)
    But when dad received his iPhone, I kinda changed my mind because the battery life of the 3GS is horrible.
    The most extravagant is that he's not browsing that much, very few calls and no sms.
    That's a shame for the iPhone.

In addition, I feel very comfortable with my BB,
    Highly customizable interface, parameters,
    Physical keyboard, trackball/trackpad,
    MULTITASKING,
    Speed of processor and apps,
    OS 5 with threaded sms (yeah soon official),
    Media player (simply easier to use than my iPod)
    Et c�tera...

I was about to trade my 9000 for an iPhone,
    But noway, I'll make the trade for the 9700 - nothing less.

Just my thoughts.

p�ce

11-16-09 07:41 PM
    Best mobile device and overall service I ever used.

Querty keyboard
    Push e-mail
    Custom apps and screens
    Overall ease of functiion
    Fine phone besides the functional stuff

My usage combines business and personal without music or video. No other device to date does what BB does in hands.

11-16-09 07:44 PM
    You really don't understand how good the BB email is until you get one. On a BB you don't have to ever check for email, the instant your email server receives the email is the instant your BB gets it. This applies to a BES email, your carrier's email address AND gmail. Other emails are supported also but they push like the iphone, and that is at intervals.
    11-16-09 07:51 PM
    The only reason I purchased my first Blackberry back in the day...was to look important... BUT now I can't live without it. It's an exceptional phone and a great PDA, and now with the different apps and social networking programs, I really feel like it is a complete device. I also like the password keeper, that's a life saver because I don't have to remember all my different log ins and all that junk and have to reset passwords when I forget what goes with what...it's just great; the camera has a flash! I also drop my phone a lot because that's just something that I do for some reason, and my phone still works great. Oh, and I can type on it without looking at the keys, that reason alone is why I still have the curve 8320 and refuse to upgrade...that and I'm just cheap...getting e-mails all the time without having to wait is a great feature too. When i got the phone I wasn't really a big e-mail person, but now it's just great, especially since other people I know have smartphones it's just the smart thing to do sometimes. I've never had an iphone but some of my friends do, and yes the browser is a lot better than the Blackberry browser as is Facebook...but after that I don't see a reason to switch, plus so many people have iphones now that having one doesn't make you feel special. Feeling special was a main reason I brought the Blackberry to begin with.

And now i'm done typing...but yes... I'm still bored at work..
    11-16-09 08:23 PM
    What kind of phone does Obama have? Yeah, thats right.
    11-16-09 10:18 PM
    Laptop broke and decided to replace it with a BB, been love since day one. ahaha
    11-16-09 10:44 PM
    blackberries are like oxygen. You do "need" oxygen, right?
    11-16-09 11:19 PM
    blackberries are like oxygen. You do "need" oxygen, right?
    Last time I checked? Yeah, you do.

11-16-09 11:29 PM
    BB has always been so reliable to me with verizon. I had my first bb which was a pearl and ever since I cant get away.
    11-16-09 11:48 PM
    What kind of phone does Obama have? Yeah, thats right.
    Actually they made him get a Sectera Edge, but he IS a BB fan and has an 87XX

Obama's new BlackBerry: The NSA's secure PDA? | Politics and Law - CNET News
    11-17-09 12:13 AM
    Is the push email different than the push gmail I'm using on my iphone? I use my email as much as I do texting. How reliable is it? And how good is the battery life?
    Push e-mail is one of the features that made blackberries popular and is a key feature since very early devices. If the g-mail on iPhone is truly push, it will be no different, but the key with blackberry is that it's a native feature, and can be setup with not only g-mail but any e-mail account. OS5.0 will also bring wireless contact synchronisation between handset and gmail.

The push e-mail on blackberry is very mature and extremely reliable.

Battery life depends on device, but generally speaking blackberry devices are pretty good. Some devices like the 8800 series are extremely good, albeit down on features/functionality.
    11-17-09 09:07 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD