The z10 and q10 are so simple to use that it takes all but a couple of hours to learn. These stories are made up and pathetic ones at that. A Lot of these bs stories on CB as of late.

Posted via CB10
    I totally agree. I played around with some android devices while I was at Verizon and they seem more difficult to navigate to me; too many screen or menu options. It's a myth that BlackBerry 10 is too challenging

Posted via CB10
    Lol pathetic made up bs stories on CB. A "myth".

LOL!!! Yeah, that's what they are /sarcasm.

Sent from CB forums app with... (you can't handle this, it's not a bb)
    Mr.Willie likes this.
    07-12-13 11:55 PM
    The biggest problem is, that gestures: Swiping from the side or down, etc., is a very unintuitive way to use a phone.

Unlike with a physical button, you might not even be aware that there is a gesture available, until somebody tell you.

IMHO Blackberry "over designed" BB10 and the Z10, in this regard. They went for form over function, and got rid of all the legacy buttons (like ''menu') not because it makes the phone better, but to try and give it a more 'modern' appearance.

But heck, buttons serve a purpose, and in many cases its a better and much more intuitive solution than swipes and gestures.

That's why Android handsets still have them (capacitive or not).

The legacy BB devices might have had too many buttons, but by completely omitting them, the Z10 isn't doing its users any service.
    07-13-13 05:03 AM
    The biggest problem is, that gestures: Swiping from the side or down, etc., is a very unintuitive way to use a phone.

Unlike with a physical button, you might not even be aware that there is a gesture available, until somebody tell you.

IMHO Blackberry "over designed" BB10 and the Z10, in this regard. They went for form over function, and got rid of all the legacy buttons (like ''menu') not because it makes the phone better, but to try and give it a more 'modern' appearance.

But heck, buttons serve a purpose, and in many cases its a better and much more intuitive solution than swipes and gestures.

That's why Android handsets still have them (capacitive or not).

The legacy BB devices might have had too many buttons, but by completely omitting them, the Z10 isn't doing its users any service.
    True but it is in my opinion still superior to having capacitative buttons like on Android. Did they really make a bad decision if it's technologically superior? I know, because I'm using a Nexus right now.

07-13-13 07:52 AM
    True but it is in my opinion still superior to having capacitative buttons like on Android. Did they really make a bad decision if it's technologically superior? I know, because I'm using a Nexus right now.

I think being technologically superior is good for us techies. But unfortunately it only makes the life more difficult for an average user. I have used several Android iOS and Blackberry phones including my current Z10. The problem here is that on iOS and Android one can just 'get by' without feeling totally lost. Where as if I had my Z10 to an average user I must sit with them and explain to them for them to even make the next step.
    agp101 likes this.
    07-13-13 09:04 AM
    I found the Z10 very easy and intuitive but I was a PlayBook owner first so I think that likely helped. Not to mention being a Crackberry junky and watching every video possible prior to release.

At one of my offices though I have 2 people that have upgraded that represent the opposite ends of the curve for the learning paradigm. They both have Q10s and are both men in their early 30's.

One of them loves the phone. Anytime he can't figure out how to do something he assumes there's a way, he just doesn't know it yet, so he calls me in to show him. And so far everything he has asked about I have been able to show him how to do.

The other hates it. He doesn't want to have to learn anything new. He is struggling along by himself. He does admit that the problem likely lies with himself and just not taking the time to learn.

I don't know what the answer is. The tutorial on the phone isn't very in depth but I think when people first get a new phone they are too excited to start playing with it to actually pay attention to the tutorial anyway. Add to that the idea 'it's a BlackBerry. How different can it be?' mentality and I think there are a fair number of users who get a bit of a shock when they first use it.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 09:05 AM
    Missing shortcuts could be one the reasons. Trackpad could be another. Hardware wise Q10 is far superior than legacy devices.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 10:30 AM
    The z10 and q10 are so simple to use that it takes all but a couple of hours to learn. These stories are made up and pathetic ones at that. A Lot of these bs stories on CB as of late.

Posted via CB10
    Yes we all know that BBRY is the most awesome company in the world and never does anything wrong and anyone that can't figure it out right away or doesn't think like you are trolls. Give it a rest man. Do you ever post anything besides posts like this or saying you've never not once ever seen a WP not even one?

At any rate it really isn't that difficult but some people do need to be shown.
    pantlesspenguin and Rello like this.
    07-13-13 10:45 AM
    This is one of the biggest problems we're facing. The total disregard that many reps have for doing their homework and learning how to properly operate the bb10 os.
    How do such reps get paid: Commission or by the hour, and if by the hour - how much per hour? My guess is that they figure they need to learn the ins and outs of the more popular devices about which folks tend to ask - and purchase.

If there is a tiny demand for a particular device, why waste time and energy learning about it - especially if one is paid on commission only?

Such folks likely have no particular brand loyalty. They just want to get paid, and that means knowing enough about the devices that sell.
    monil11 likes this.
    07-13-13 10:53 AM
    Good points, OP, thanks. Yeah, I've given a few tutorials myself on the new OS. I've used so many different OSes I forget that the average user can't be bothered spending any time to learn more than the basics.

This might be a good place to brainstorm ways of simplifying the OS for the average user?

EG: Add a "Hub" or "Messages" icon for people accustomed to having an icon on other platforms; Add a "Help" icon/shortcut to the "icon" row where the Phone, Search and camera icon resides (and make that more like the iOS dock in that users can customize what appears on that 'dock' so experienced users can remove the help icon and add other shortcuts)...
    monil11 likes this.
    07-13-13 11:03 AM
    How do such reps get paid: Commission or by the hour, and if by the hour - how much per hour? My guess is that they figure they need to learn the ins and outs of the more popular devices about which folks tend to ask - and purchase.

If there is a tiny demand for a particular device, why waste time and energy learning about it - especially if one is paid on commission only?

Such folks likely have no particular brand loyalty. They just want to get paid, and that means knowing enough about the devices that sell.
    That's a very valid point. To tackle this problem we have to look at the very basics of this situation. People buy more iOS n android products and therefore reps don't care enough or promote BlackBerry. People don't buy BlackBerry because of the negative sentiment, reviews highlighting lack of apps, bad past experience and lack of good marketing. Those average users who do end up buyin sometimes find it difficult as I explained in my original post. This leads to bad word of mouth and even more negative sentiment. To top all this we had bad carrier support and lackluster knowledge from reps. And in many instances downright discouraging potential buyers even if they are coming from legacy bbos.

This is a vicious circle. BlackBerry doesnt sell because carriers are discouraging a BlackBerry purchase because BlackBerry doesn't sell.

All BlackBerry can do is make sure other things like bad word of mouth, bad marketing and the negative sentiment around BlackBerry is some how eliminated. 3rd one being the most difficult and will mainly depend on how they perform.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 11:15 AM
    To answer the title;
    "Because Blackberry didn't pay attention to the core features which made us buy a Blackberry device"

Period.
    monil11 likes this.
    07-13-13 11:22 AM
    Good points, OP, thanks. Yeah, I've given a few tutorials myself on the new OS. I've used so many different OSes I forget that the average user can't be bothered spending any time to learn more than the basics.

This might be a good place to brainstorm ways of simplifying the OS for the average user?

EG: Add a "Hub" or "Messages" icon for people accustomed to having an icon on other platforms; Add a "Help" icon/shortcut to the "icon" row where the Phone, Search and camera icon resides (and make that more like the iOS dock in that users can customize what appears on that 'dock' so experienced users can remove the help icon and add other shortcuts)...
    All valid points. I would like to add that when using a galaxy phones for example there are tons and tons of hidden features which add convince and shortcuts. Some which are not apparent to even us techies. How they educate on this is they add pop ups with useful tips every time you are at the right place. These repeat till you want them to go away.

While bb10 doesn't have as many hidden features they could use such pop ups to educate users about basics. Because to some average users these basics are just not apparent.

Also adding a digital trackpad in messaging/mail based apps could help some feel comfortable.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 11:23 AM
    All valid points. I would like to add that when using a galaxy phones for example there are tons and tons of hidden features which add convince and shortcuts. Some which are not apparent to even us techies. How they educate on this is they add pop ups with useful tips every time you are at the right place. These repeat till you want them to go away.

While bb10 doesn't have as many hidden features they could use such pop ups to educate users about basics. Because to some average users these basics are just not apparent.

Also adding a digital trackpad in messaging/mail based apps could help some feel comfortable.

Posted via CB10
    I like the popups, good idea. And the digital trackpad has been discussed and seems like a good addition as well.

For the power users, they should also add the option of turning these features off as they might find them annoying.

Hopefully some of the investing BlackBerry is doing is ongoing Focus Groups to try and make the OS as user friendly as possible. I've watched some of the 10.2 videos from Kris and it looks like they're on that track. But it can't hurt for the CB community to contribute ideas that would make BB10 simpler for the average user.
    07-13-13 11:30 AM
    He has used previous BlackBerry devices and also had a galaxy note as his second device.
    That's his first mistake. Why have a Note 2 and use it only as a "second device"? It's an incredible phone that can more than serve as one's only device.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    07-13-13 12:07 PM
    I agree with OP. Coming from 9900, took me a while to find my way with Q10. But I like exploring, specially with my BB. But probably most of consumer will not bother to take time. As we see in CB forum, even many royal bb users are returning their new bb. BBRY has to come up with some way to educate people with their own "BB10 for dummies "

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 02:36 PM
    that's funny. I had to show my gf how to use her iphone the first time she got it. she had no idea how to get her contacts on there, or even how to get the wifi connected, or her bluetooth headset - among other things. even getting her own music from her ipod to her iphone took some effort. everytime I pick up her phone I have to take a second or two to remember how to use it.

bottom line, there's always going to be a learning curve. no matter what OS. its especially hard if there's no one there to show you.
    kbz1960 and anon(5624621) like this.
    07-13-13 03:13 PM

Point well taken. The problem is that many reps don't even take the time to learn the basics. I was at a rogers store and a customer who was looking at a z10 asked about video chat. The rep said the blackberry didn't have it but the iPhone has face time. I had to step in and correct her and bring up BBM video. She had know idea. I realise that being blackberry enthusiasts, we will know much more than most civilians, but there has ti be some sort of training program these people have to be put through.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 03:18 PM
    *no*

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 03:19 PM
    Sometimes perception is reality. My wife sought my guidance on a new phone purchase ( her first smartphone) . Since she is a happy Ipad user the suggestion to stay with Apple was easy. Zero learning curve, she is happy . Headaches averted.
    I did the same for my husband who was comfortable with his ipad. For me, I LOVE my Q10. CB10 has been very helpful, but I was able to start using it right away. BB 9000 was my first smartphone and it took me a month to learn it. However, I enjoyed learning it and found new things to do with it even 4 years later! iPhone is easy to learn, but I cannot type on it. I love typing on the Q.
    tetonica likes this.
    07-13-13 03:28 PM
    There are like two gestures lol and icons for things like settings or texts if you have a hard time adjusting. I just don't see how much more simple it can get.

Posted via CB10
    shief24 likes this.
    07-13-13 03:33 PM
    That's his first mistake. Why have a Note 2 and use it only as a "second device"? It's an incredible phone that can more than serve as one's only device.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Haha 1st of all he had the original note not note2. I do however have the note 2 (again as my second device) and it's a great phone. But I find the phone too big. S4 is closer to a comfortable size and my z10 seems to be the perfect size for me. Find myself using note 2 less and less often. And to answer your question, over here (Dubai) most people carry 2 phones. One BlackBerry and one android or iOS device. One of the reasons that BlackBerry still has a great market share here is that we buy phones outright and buy 2 phones. People here just want the best of both worlds.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 04:14 PM
    There are like two gestures lol and icons for things like settings or texts if you have a hard time adjusting. I just don't see how much more simple it can get.

Posted via CB10
    Let's see:

1. Swipe up to minimize apps.
    2. Swipe up and drag right for hub.
    3. Swipe down from top to bring settings or android bar when in an app.
    4. Swipe to right to use flow where applicable.
    5. Swipe left from the edge of the screen when in a message / mail / notification in the hub to exit the hub.
    6. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen for the same result as number 5.
    7. Swipe down from top when not in an app to bring up the quick settings. (when in a bbm chat accessed from the hub it will bring up quick settings but when in a bbm chat through bbm app it will bring up the app settings bar.)
    8. Swipe down with 2 fingers to minimize keyboard.

Just writing all this down kind of made me feel the pain of a non techie who has little help understanding all this.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 04:25 PM
    I figured out everything on my Q10/BB10 in like an hour. I don't get how someone could still be clueless after weeks. easiest OS.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 05:45 PM
    I figured out everything on my Q10/BB10 in like an hour. I don't get how someone could still be clueless after weeks. easiest OS.

Posted via CB10
    The fact that you frequent CB, have an account here, post on forums via your CB10 app would kind of give away the fact that you took very little time understanding the BB10 OS. This is about an average user which is to say a majority of smartphone users.
    07-13-13 08:10 PM
    The fact that you frequent CB, have an account here, post on forums via your CB10 app would kind of give away the fact that you took very little time understanding the BB10 OS. This is about an average user which is to say a majority of smartphone users.
    Maybe new BlackBerry phones should come with the CB10 app preinstalled and a user account tied to their PIN!
    m1a1mg likes this.
    07-13-13 08:13 PM
131 1234 ...