can someone explains why big companies like "fb, instagram, viber etc dont care to create native apps for 10 os? i'm using apk apps but they dont run properly as u know coz they are made for android not for us!

any idea?

thanks.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 07:58 AM
    Imagine yourself as a developer or the software group of a major company. You've done great business building an app for the masses (ex. The 90% of consumers who own IOS or Android), and not only does so much of your time used to create new apps, but to support the old ones as well. The amount of work it takes building and maintaining/supporting an app has nothing to do with how many people own the supported OS. It takes the same amount of work and effort to build and support an IOS app as it does for BlackBerry 10.

Now here's the kicker, why will you invest XXX amount of time/effort for the 90% and then go forward to investing the SAME XXX time/effort for the <5%? It's results in a whole lot of opportunity cost and just doesn't make sense.

As market share grows, the app situation will get better. Slowly but surely
    01-14-15 08:07 AM
    can someone explains why big companies like "fb, instagram, viber etc dont care to create native apps for 10 os? i'm using apk apps but they dont run properly as u know coz they are made for android not for us!

any idea?

thanks.

Posted via CB10
    Read the forums. This. Dog is so dead it's dust.

BlackBerry hates America!
    01-14-15 08:08 AM
    Imagine yourself as a developer or the software group of a major company. You've done great business building an app for the masses (ex. The 90% of consumers who own IOS or Android), and not only does so much of your time used to create new apps, but to support the old ones as well. The amount of work it takes building and maintaining/supporting an app has nothing to do with how many people own the supported OS. It takes the same amount of work and effort to build and support an IOS app as it does for BlackBerry 10.

Now here's the kicker, why will you invest XXX amount of time/effort for the 90% and then go forward to investing the SAME XXX time/effort for the <5%? It's results in a whole lot of opportunity cost and just doesn't make sense.

But will the market share grow? I haven't seen much signs of it happening. Windows phone is the clear "winner" of the 3rd ecosystem position.
    01-14-15 09:22 AM

I think you would find that even with the growth they are currently experiencing... there is no growth in BlackBerry World. Several of the Apps I use are well over a year old and most likely will never see an update. There is a difference in adding a few million users each year... and adding the 10's if not 100's of million users it would take to make BlackBerry attractive to developers. As it stands, they can just build their Android versions and ignore the support problems... at least for now.

Even IF sales of the Classic take off... it will be because of enterprise users, who will most likely be limited in their installation and use of Apps - Balance is an option not a requirement.

Look at the Kindle Platform and Windows and the successes they are having... yet the difficulty that they are experiencing getting even big developers like Instagram to support them. BlackBerry sadly doesn't have a chance.
    01-14-15 09:35 AM
    I think you would find that even with the growth they are currently experiencing... there is no growth in BlackBerry World. Several of the Apps I use are well over a year old and most likely will never see an update. There is a difference in adding a few million users each year... and adding the 10's if not 100's of million users it would take to make BlackBerry attractive to developers. As it stands, they can just build their Android versions and ignore the support problems... at least for now.

Even IF sales of the Classic take off... it will be because of enterprise users, who will most likely be limited in their installation and use of Apps - Balance is an option not a requirement.

Look at the Kindle Platform and Windows and the successes they are having... yet the difficulty that they are experiencing getting even big developers like Instagram to support them. BlackBerry sadly doesn't have a chance.
    I definitely agree, but it's important to acknowledge that building a consumer base can't just happen with the release of a new device. IF it will happen, I think BlackBerry market share needs to make it to around 10-15% and that in itself can take 5-7 years? That's a BIG IF.

But another thing BlackBerry can have on its side is targeting those developers who may not be getting the distinction/recognization/success at the IOS/Android market due to the huge population of developers and consumers. Because of BlackBerry's relatively small size, it might be appealing to those developers

Posted via CB10
    jimlockhead likes this.
    01-14-15 09:47 AM
    I think this is a farq(frequently asked rhetorical question)
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-14-15 09:49 AM
    I think this is a farq(frequently asked rhetorical question)
    Very true but curiosity not a sin!

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 09:50 AM
    Plus those are consumer apps, BBRY isn't going after them so why try and get those big named apps.....remember? Tools not toys I believe it's said around here now.
    devin266 likes this.
    01-14-15 10:02 AM
    I definitely agree, but it's important to acknowledge that building a consumer base can't just happen with the release of a new device. IF it will happen, I think BlackBerry market share needs to make it to around 10-15% and that in itself can take 5-7 years? That's a BIG IF.

But another thing BlackBerry can have on its side is targeting those developers who may not be getting the distinction/recognization/success at the IOS/Android market due to the huge population of developers and consumers. Because of BlackBerry's relatively small size, it might be appealing to those developers

Posted via CB10
    The idea about developers finding success on BB10 because of its small size sounds good on paper, but the problem is that they would just go to WP8. Still smaller than iOS and Android, but a whole lot bigger than BB.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    01-14-15 10:03 AM
    Chen's current strategy is to kickstart BlackBerry brand again from the enterprise arena banking on BlackBerry's reputation on security and control, two highly prized features in enterprise but not so much for average consumers. Thorsten tried to do so from consumer arena and failed miserably. Whether he will succeed in the end the way he did with Sybase remains to be seen.
    01-14-15 11:22 AM
    Plus those are consumer apps, BBRY isn't going after them so why try and get those big named apps.....remember? Tools not toys I believe it's said around here now.
    If I hear this one more time... Even though BlackBerry is going after enterprise users, those users are still humans. They use Facebook, they use Instagram, they use Uber. And many young professionals are single and use/need dating apps. Just because you're a prosumer doesn't mean you have no social life.
    01-14-15 11:31 AM
    Yes but windows is growing or maybe just holding on in the low cost budget phone marketplace. I don't think there is a lot of paid app revenue there, people expect free.

BlackBerry has the Z3, but even that is not cheap. I suggest BlackBerry users are more able and used to paying for apps. Premium phones like the Passport generally attract higher income types.

I think BlackBerry would be a better app platform for paid apps vs windows phone. But maybe I am wrong. However Nemory can do well while telling his customers to take a hike if they don't like it. :^)

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 11:46 AM
    Because companies like to make money using as little resources as possible. Even Windows phone has app problems and Microsoft produces some of the best development tools in the business.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-14-15 11:47 AM
    Indeed I suspect the BB10 ecosystem for what it is has evolved into higher app prices on average... would be interesting to do a study. Crackberry get on it!

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 11:48 AM
    The idea about developers finding success on BB10 because of its small size sounds good on paper, but the problem is that they would just go to WP8. Still smaller than iOS and Android, but a whole lot bigger than BB.

Then add on the fact you can create universal apps that target Windows 8 then it does provide a good opportunity for the small developers to jump in on with Windows 8 having 13%+ off the desktop OS market.
    01-14-15 12:47 PM
    Well with out consumer support your not going to attract those developers, going after niche market is one thing trying to appease all is another. Your chasing away consumers everyday by not giving them what they need.
    Look around the forums, it's every where,... Tools not toys.

Pearl 8100->Pearl Flip->Storm->Torch 9800->Torch 9810-Bold 9900->Iphone 3g->Iphone 4g->Z10->Samsung S3->Z30->HTC m8->Note 4
    01-14-15 01:01 PM
    Well with out consumer support your not going to attract those developers, going after niche market is one thing trying to appease all is another. Your chasing away consumers everyday by not giving them what they need.
    Look around the forums, it's every where,... Tools not toys.

Pearl 8100->Pearl Flip->Storm->Torch 9800->Torch 9810-Bold 9900->Iphone 3g->Iphone 4g->Z10->Samsung S3->Z30->HTC m8->Note 4
    Tools not toys is an example of how out of touch blackberry was. To repeat it now merely shows blackberry as still out of touch.
    Do yourselves a favour and ditch that ridiculous mantra

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    01-14-15 01:08 PM
    Unfortunately even the mantra tools not toys is hard to hold up because BlackBerry 10 is still lacking many productivity oriented apps Android and iPhone users take for granted. I am obviously talking about native apps, Android ports or APKs downloaded directly is a stopgap measure only.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-15 05:53 PM

any idea?

thanks.

Posted via CB10
    There is only Android. Google Maps is a must for me. I do like one BB10 app - BlackBerry travel.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 01-21-15 at 01:22 AM.
    01-20-15 06:01 PM
    A case of bad timing.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-20-15 11:21 PM
    From what I understand, developing apps for BB10 is also substantially more difficult than for Android or iOS. That coupled with BlackBerry's dwindling market share is a recipe for disaster.

If they could only get instagram, snapchat and a few other big name essentials on board, they would be in much better shape.

Like it or not, enterprise is not going to win back a substantial market share. You have to attract consumers as well. Otherwise, failure is all but guaranteed.