BlackBerry once again failed to make products people want.

Z10/Z30 - boring, bland looking glass slabs

Q10 - in a world with large HD screens, who wants a small square screen?

Leap - never seen one in public, but the specs sucked upon release

Passport - a gimmicky keyboard, with a square screen. To date, I've seen only one in public.

Priv - gimmicky keyboard, overpriced, and no real improvements to Android.

SD card slots and removable batteries are overrated as well.

Nexus 6p 64gb
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    07-08-16 06:34 PM
    i personally believe, apart from app gap there are certain features in closet of apps which is required by any mobile plateform.
    bb can still be part of harware if even android os carry some blend of bb signature,
    how about making a dropbox kind of app by using their noc for secure file sharing make it cross plateform and acessible to all.
    what about their good bb10 file manager add some more capability and be used by all os.
    how about data migration and mobile switch application like bb protect with more features.
    how about rebrand bbm and used as a customer service messenger for all small and medium enteprises, give them one phone number and ppl can connect to them. make it free.
    how about other migration tools, that will help
    once u start customers intrest with quality of service then they will be better positioned and have their brand name intact.
    just my 2 cents.
    They bought a cloud storage company and then sold it. Scuttlebutt was that it was too much overhead.

They already partner with existing storage providers. All of whom encrypt your data at rest.

BlackBerry really just needs to improve their apps for accessing these services. And maybe add support for Google Drive.
    07-08-16 07:04 PM
    There, I fixed it for you.

Chen wasn't hired to save BB hardware - the Board had already accepted that hardware was almost certainly going to fail for BB. Instead, Chen was hired to turn BB into a software company that would survive the failure of its hardware business. That's why Chen, a software turn-around expert, was hired instead of a hardware/logistics guy.
    But now mr. Chen is sure to make money out of BlackBerry hardware.

Go figure!

Posted via CB10
    07-09-16 03:36 AM
    RIM NEVER enjoyed even a tiny fraction of the financial resources, software talent, and consumer market savvy, of Apple & Google. Apple was no slouch with hardware capabilities, also. RIM's ride on top was doomed the instant those tech monsters stepped into the market. There's no way that ML and JB could not have been aware of this, imo. They naturally could not voice that awareness, but the net effect of their inexplicable denial, actions, statements & attitudes seems to bounce between fear of, and acceptance of, BB's inevitable niche market subsistence status? ??? Idk. Only ML & JB themselves know what they were thinking.

BB10 itself wasn't just a new OS version. It was, essentially, a new start up! Virtually a new smartphone division nursing an infantile app ecosystem. An aggressive undertaking for tech monsters enjoying >10X BB's comparatively pitiful resources. The ONLY asset RIM commanded, in 2010, that might have been beyond Apple & Google's reach was RIM's then superior smartphone experience. But, they intentionally surrendered THAT essential asset at the door of their "fresh start". After Mike read a silly book, it seems. Go figure.

Providing legitimate upgrade path, by incorporating more of legacy experience into BB10, was their best chance to successfully migrate legacy users. Stranding 60M+ legacy users effectively assured inadequate critical mass to jumpstart BB10's infant app ecosystem, imo. Here we are.

The story doesn't end there... Killing off legacy experience also destructively injured potential to leverage that experience into niche markets. Niche markets, by definition, can't be expected to reclaim market dominance. But they might have provided subsistence level market relevance?? Maybe??? Free markets are NOT winner take ALL, after all.

Unless, of course, you treat your largest client the way bb treated Verizon... But that's another book in itself... Lol.

In the end, afaik, BB's handset troubles have very little to do with hardware. SOME sort of inefficiency in their software development has been too painfully obvious, for the past 10+ years, imo. Now they're talking about resting their future on software? Not comforting, imo.
    07-09-16 08:09 AM
    BlackBerry once again failed to make products people want.

Z10/Z30 - boring, bland looking glass slabs

Leap - never seen one in public, but the specs sucked upon release

Passport - a gimmicky keyboard, with a square screen. To date, I've seen only one in public.

Priv - gimmicky keyboard, overpriced, and no real improvements to Android.

SD card slots and removable batteries are overrated as well.

Nexus 6p 64gb
    I think it is more accurate to say Blackberry didn't make the products people wanted at the right time (i.e. at least 2 1/2 years earlier than when each of those products was released).
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-09-16 08:42 AM
    RIM NEVER enjoyed even a tiny fraction of the financial resources, software talent, and consumer market savvy, of Apple & Google. Apple was no slouch with hardware capabilities, also. RIM's ride on top was doomed the instant those tech monsters stepped into the market. There's no way that ML and JB could not have been aware of this, imo. They naturally could not voice that awareness, but the net effect of their inexplicable denial, actions, statements & attitudes seems to bounce between fear of, and acceptance of, BB's inevitable niche market subsistence status? ??? Idk. Only ML & JB themselves know what they were thinking.

BB10 itself wasn't just a new OS version. It was, essentially, a new start up! Virtually a new smartphone division nursing an infantile app ecosystem. An aggressive undertaking for tech monsters enjoying >10X BB's comparatively pitiful resources. The ONLY asset RIM commanded, in 2010, that might have been beyond Apple & Google's reach was RIM's then superior smartphone experience. But, they intentionally surrendered THAT essential asset at the door of their "fresh start". After Mike read a silly book, it seems. Go figure.
    You do realize Google is a much younger company than RIM/Blackberry and Apple is only 8 years older than RIM/Blackberry, right?

The issue RIM/Blackberry faced is they failed to properly innovate and thought old technology could carry them through when a glimpse of the future arrived in 2007. End of story.
    TgeekB, JeepBB and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    07-09-16 08:47 AM
    You do realize Google is a much younger company than RIM/Blackberry and Apple is only 8 years older than RIM/Blackberry, right?

The issue RIM/Blackberry faced is they failed to properly innovate and thought old technology could carry them through when a glimpse of the future arrived in 2007. End of story.
    you do realize that Apple & Google's resources dwarfed RIM? It took Apple & Google YEARS to find success. RIM never, ever, stood a chance, imo. RIM's age gave it a natural smartphone experience asset. They surrendered even that. Chasing the Apple-Droid unicorn burned their bridges to niche survival. Imo, of course.
    07-09-16 09:14 AM
    you do realize that Apple & Google's resources dwarfed RIM? Only RIM's smartphone experience
    Yes, but whose fault is that? As he said, Google was a startup and built up those resources well after Blackberry was on top. If Blackberry had acted appropriately, they could have done something about it, but did not.
    07-09-16 09:21 AM
    Google was a fresh face who hadn't alienated Verizon....
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    07-09-16 09:24 AM
    Absolutely true.
    I think we agree Blackberry did not see, or act, on what was coming. Apple and Google did.
    07-09-16 09:29 AM
    Google stepped into Verizon with dominant software assets that RIM could never match. Yes, they might have held their own if they'd made the right R&D choices & investments in 2005. By 2010, they were doomed to niche status and BB10 was THEN designed to surrender experience that was essential to migrate even small percentages of legacy. Even another 10M of legacy migration would have doubled BB10's userbase... Maybe doubling odds of reaching app eco critical mass??
    07-09-16 09:35 AM
    you do realize that Apple & Google's resources dwarfed RIM? It took Apple & Google YEARS to find success. RIM never, ever, stood a chance, imo. RIM's age gave it a natural smartphone experience asset. They surrendered even that. Chasing the Apple-Droid unicorn burned their bridges to niche survival. Imo, of course.
    But they weren't shooting for niche survival. They were aiming to be a big player. It was the only way they were going to maintain their revenue and staffing levels.

It never occurred to BlackBerry that they would never be that successful again until after the flop of the BB10 launch.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    07-09-16 09:57 AM
    But they weren't shooting for niche survival. They were aiming to be a big player. It was the only way they were going to maintain their revenue and staffing levels.

It never occurred to BlackBerry that they would never be that successful again until after the flop of the BB10 launch.
    Exactly. They shot at the moon and missed. Using a shot that was needed to put "meat on the table". Lol.

They gambled their chance of survival on the long shot of dominance. When you gamble, there's always the chance you'll lose.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    07-09-16 10:13 AM
    Exactly. They shot at the moon and missed. Using a shot that was needed to put "meat on the table". Lol.

They gambled their chance of survival on the long shot of dominance. When you gamble, there's always the chance you'll lose.
    It was either gamble on staying big or folding before BB10.
    07-09-16 10:18 AM
    It was either gamble on staying big or folding before BB10.
    Well, I just don't see the either/or zero sum but then I'm not a fly on the boardroom wall... Lol. But if that was the reality of their constraints then that's life. All I can say is that when you're betting your survival on your last shot, you'd better not skimp on the powder charge!

BB10.0 wasn't even half baked, imo. BB stood for "Barely Baked" in my office during our Z/Q10 ordeal. Lol.

BB's software has been late & undercooked since the dawn of time. Obviously some inefficiency in their software division. Inefficiencies that Apple & Google successfully sorted out well BEFORE entering smartphones. Imo.
    TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
    07-09-16 10:48 AM
    It's not dead when you don't see its name.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    07-09-16 11:07 AM
    Bcoz concern less CEO in blackberry...

Posted via CB10
    07-09-16 11:12 AM
    I do. Best. Phone. Ever.

By the time I can no longer use it I am hoping Microsoft can dig up some old Nokia physical keyboard technology and make a Windows 10 Mobile Q10 lookalike.
    07-09-16 12:24 PM
    It's not dead when you don't see its name.

It's dead. People talk about dead people, Marilyn Monroe, Prince, Michael Jackson, etc. a lot, and guess what? They are dead.

Posted via the Diva's beautiful Red Passport!
    TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
    07-09-16 01:02 PM
    That's legendary legacy.

07-09-16 01:17 PM
    [QUOTE=AmirHossein 93;12499055]Oh common! What Android and Nexus phones look like?
    Answer: "boring, bland looking glass slabs"

some people still dont get it, some means some few 100 maybe. good part is ull find less now in cb.
    they simpe dont get an idea tht even company is not sure about bb10 hardware, forget the consumers lol.
    you can say its a good phone but not smart phone coz it lacks almost everything others give u.
    do u wanna say asking for better specs is stupid?
    o say a small square screen without hd is a good buy?
    or peopl just use droid or ios for instagram?
    come out of this mentality, i also own all bb device's but unfortunatly the guy u replied sarcastically is right.
    07-09-16 01:52 PM
    In the USA. BlackBerry went from its peak of popularity down to almost as low in popularity as it is now - all in one year - 2012. (Per Google Trends) . No new products and the unpopularity of PKB phones.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 07-09-16 at 05:38 PM.
    07-09-16 02:18 PM
    I do. Best. Phone. Ever.

By the time I can no longer use it I am hoping Microsoft can dig up some old Nokia physical keyboard technology and make a Windows 10 Mobile Q10 lookalike.
    Since 99.9% of consumers don't want that, I have my doubts it would ever happen.
    07-09-16 02:27 PM
    Since 99.9% of consumers don't want that, I have my doubts it would ever happen.
    Me too, hence the "I am hoping" part
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-09-16 02:47 PM
    It's not dead, if we find a way to remember it.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-16 03:04 PM
209 ... 45678 ...