Honestly, I think BB10 failed because 99% of smartphone users prefer eye candy and simple social media apps over a true secure business productivity device.
    Did you just say "tools not toys"?
    07-05-16 10:48 AM
    Exactly. Obama spent more money in his first six months in office than ALL Presidents spent COMBINED before him. Why blame him? Blame those that voted for him.

On a serious note, I think BlackBerry is too edgy and complicated for the masses. iPhone, as an opposite extreme, is as easy as pie. Turn it on, set up your email, and you're done. The phone's eco-system is closed and simple. Evidently, tens of millions like that. I have an iPhone. It's fun as a play phone. Perhaps that's the key. The masses want something to play with, and an iPhone is fun.

Whatever the case, BlackBerry was the first through the wall. The first guy through the wall always gets the arrows in his chest. Ford invented the mass-produced automobile, yet most of my friends don't drive one. Neither do I. First is not always best.
    Lol "First through the modern wall." That makes absolutely zero sense. Blackberry was the last through the modern wall which is why BB10 never caught on. Blackberry refused until too late to actually walk up to the modern wall and when they did the enemy was there with guns while Blackberry only brought knives.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-05-16 10:51 AM
    I will tell you, I absolutely love the PKB. I hate screen keyboards.

That being said, I currently suffer the screen KB on an Android device because the rest of the experience is superior in the real world.

I tried a Priv the day it came out--hey, Android plus a BB PKB? what's not to like?--but the PKB on that is inferior to the slightly larger, slightly more substational PKB on the older "classic" BBs I grew up with.
    07-05-16 11:41 AM
    I will tell you, I absolutely love the PKB. I hate screen keyboards.

That being said, I currently suffer the screen KB on an Android device because the rest of the experience is superior in the real world.

I tried a Priv the day it came out--hey, Android plus a BB PKB? what's not to like?--but the PKB on that is inferior to the slightly larger, slightly more substational PKB on the older "classic" BBs I grew up with.
    If size is the only concern, adjustment is not immediate. I had to adjust from my even smaller Pre 3's Curve-esque keys to the Bold-type keys on the Classic, at first I thought the wider Classic was bad, then got used to it. Same thing happened when I moved from the Classic to the Priv, and I'm not used to typing on the Pre 3 now as I used to be.

It's simple muscle memory. As long as it's still tactile, you'll get used to it.
    07-05-16 12:08 PM
    Honestly, I think BB10 failed because 99% of smartphone users prefer eye candy and simple social media apps over a true secure business productivity device.
    If BlackBerry could only sell enough phones to the 1 percent , they would be happy. The 99 percent that you are referring to also includes 99 percent of Enterprise users.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-05-16 01:22 PM
    They could've been seriously competing if they moved to Android early on, like everyone did..
    Disagree with moving to Android. It has serious design flaws and is a security risk; BB would have become an almost-ran Android, and people usually want the 'original'. I don't know much would have changed.
    07-05-16 01:52 PM
    I dont blame Chen, he saved Blackberry from going down completely.

The best BBOS was my Bold 9900, even then I was constantly messing around with radio files to improve the phone. Playbook looked good, was ok for a year and then just got passed by. Classic and Z30 were the the best of OS10 for me, unfortunately to late for the developers and to limited to make an impact on the Brand.

I have to be honest tried a Priv, was ok for a while, started to look flakey and have now dissapointentedly moved to S7 Edge
    Why was the Z30 too late? I think BB doesn't get behind things enough. The Z30 has a great screen, is fast and light, has all the security of BB, and is durable. My BF has dropped his multiple times, still working, whilst friend's Samsungs have cracks. But MARKETING sucks. Better battery life than an Apple with that screen? It should have been aggressively pushed, instead it was nudged out and then abandoned.
    07-05-16 02:04 PM
    Do you blame them? I'm not using a BlackBerry because of security! I just like the UI and keyboard! If Iphones had keyboards I'd be long gone from this brand.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    07-05-16 03:34 PM
    Why was the Z30 too late? I think BB doesn't get behind things enough. The Z30 has a great screen, is fast and light, has all the security of BB, and is durable. My BF has dropped his multiple times, still working, whilst friend's Samsungs have cracks. But MARKETING sucks. Better battery life than an Apple with that screen? It should have been aggressively pushed, instead it was nudged out and then abandoned.
    BlackBerry was put up for sale during the Z30's release. Really bad timing. Scared away potential handset buyers.

*ME173X
    07-05-16 03:41 PM
    The OS was too late to market and thus didn't get the developer support that was promised. With the launch of the Z10, there was a sense of optimism... "they would come". By the time the Z30 was launched, BlackBerry was burning Billions each quarter and there was NO HOPE of developers coming to a platform that was already DOA. No amount of positive reviews or marketing would change the lack of the apps that consumers expected.

Sadly 2010 was probably too late....
    07-05-16 03:41 PM
    This again... market WHAT, exactly? WHAT does BB10 offer versus the 99% of phones that people are actually buying?

Almost none of the most popular apps work on it. I don't know why people around here pretend apps aren't important, when they are a multi-billion dollar industry.

Security? Really? Information gets stolen, celebrity nudes get leaked, the government wiretaps every device... people see the news and they just don't care. There is no true security. TOR isn't secure. VPN's aren't secure. Who really expects a phone to be secure?

BlackBerry phones have notably inferior cameras to their competition.

The Web browser is woeful and lacks contemporary features that people expect these days.

Privacy? Wait, aren't we posting on the Internet? Moving on...

So prithee, what exactly is there to market about BlackBerry 10 that anyone would care about? The OS has a slick UI and is easy to customize, but what else is there?

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    anon(9878325) and JeepBB like this.
    07-05-16 03:43 PM
    He did, pretty much.
    07-05-16 03:54 PM
    Unbelievably, he did. Some still don't get it.
    07-05-16 04:10 PM
    Unbelievably, he did. Some still don't get it.
    Some?? Here on CB that seems to be polite understatement.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-05-16 04:41 PM
    Some?? Here on CB that seems to be polite understatement.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Like I mentioned in another thread... there's enough "content" on this site to have several series of "BB10 Diehards Say the Darndest Things" ...
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-05-16 04:54 PM
    Blackberry never kept up with the app craze and they didn't launch and devices with the proper power and camera.

With top android and apple devices out there they launch the Leap, Passport and classic and none of them can compare to other platforms.

With the Priv Blackberry has a chance to survive if the launch devices that can compete in the cell phone market.

An Android based classic would be the best of both worlds!

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 08:36 PM
    Using my totally awesome BlackBerry Passport today, I got to thinking.....

This thing works damn good for a phone that's dead.
    anon(9878325) likes this.
    07-05-16 08:38 PM
    For the consumer , I think that your every day iPhone is just as secure and maybe even more secure.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    07-05-16 08:45 PM
    'because the general consumer is an _____'

Posted via CB10
    martinjdub likes this.
    07-05-16 09:27 PM
    Using my totally awesome BlackBerry Passport today, I got to thinking.....

This thing works damn good for a phone that's dead.
    Kudos for your awesome comment!

Posted via CB10
    to boldly go likes this.
    07-05-16 09:59 PM
    'because the general consumer is an _____'

Posted via CB10
    Funny thing is, BlackBerry would love to have those general consumers you speak of. No one on this forum would bat an eye, if people lined up days in advance, for the latest BlackBerry handset.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 10:06 PM
    Nothing is secure, unless you wrote the entire OS from the ground up. And there's still a chance that you missed something or used a code unintentionally that leaves your software vulnerable.
    Just as secure...Amir perhaps you should not own a smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-16 12:37 AM
    i personally believe, apart from app gap there are certain features in closet of apps which is required by any mobile plateform.
    bb can still be part of harware if even android os carry some blend of bb signature,
    how about making a dropbox kind of app by using their noc for secure file sharing make it cross plateform and acessible to all.
    what about their good bb10 file manager add some more capability and be used by all os.
    how about data migration and mobile switch application like bb protect with more features.
    how about rebrand bbm and used as a customer service messenger for all small and medium enteprises, give them one phone number and ppl can connect to them. make it free.
    how about other migration tools, that will help
    once u start customers intrest with quality of service then they will be better positioned and have their brand name intact.
    just my 2 cents.
    07-06-16 02:02 PM
    Kudos for your awesome comment!

Posted via CB10
    seriously, i keep on searching blogs whr u can get android in this b,tful device, still so sturdy and good phone.
    07-06-16 08:20 PM
    This thread has been very educational to me. I did not know much of anything about some of the real reasons the world's most awesome telephone is not selling well today. I still have hope and will stay with BB10 (AND BB7) until my last BB device has died and I can't get another one.

I have yet to have a BB device stop working, although I have a couple that can't use a simcard due to not being QUITE unlocked, or unlockable, when I bought them from Amazon.
    anon(9878325) likes this.
    07-08-16 08:30 AM
209 ... 34567 ...