The reason it failed, is because it was not advertised! Nobody knew about it! I love my Z30!
    07-03-16 10:07 PM
    Sometimes the simplest explanation is the best one. The market preferred other phones and other ecosystems.
    07-04-16 12:19 AM
    The reason it failed, is because it was not advertised! Nobody knew about it! I love my Z30!
    And apps. Let's not forget about the lack of apps on BB10.

Nexus 6p 64gb
    07-04-16 12:54 AM
    I think it was just bad timing, to little to late. iOS and Android had a strong grip at the market already. So the app gap was a issue, in a similar way like Windows Phone. If BB 10 had come to market just one or two years earlier maybe it would have been a different story.
    07-04-16 01:56 AM
    my two cents:

I'm a developer for mobile devices (Android, iOS, we also tried BB10).

Before BB10 was released, i was invited to the "BB Jam" in D�sseldorf, Germany, where the BB-devs showed us BB10, and how cool it is.
    I really liked the os and wanted a BB10 device.

BB sended us a Dev Alpha Device (Test Mule for the Z10), which was very nice itself.
    Then i started to figure out, how to code for BB10.

At first, i you want to make serious apps, you have to use C++, which is ok for me, but many other Devs hate this language.
    For Android you can(have to) use Java, which is more liked by many devs.
    -> 1. Its much easier to code for Android, than for BB10

Second:
    If you code for Android, you simply download Eclipe or Android Studio and start coding. Then you set the device into dev-mode and you can deploy your app onto the device, whitout any problems. Your app runs as long, as you wish

If you want to code for BB, you have to download momentics, register at BB, creaty and download vertificates, set the device to debug, enter debug passwort, create a debug token, which expires after 30days, sign your code and deploy it onto the device.
    after 30 days your dev-app has to be redeployed.
    This is very secure, but also very complicated. you simply cant just try out and play arround. you have to spent a serious amount of time to get your app running on a device.
    Its even harder to use the simulator, because you need a interface software for communication between the simulator and the IDE. Not a big deal, but its not well documentated...

This all makes coding for BB10 a lot more difficult, mostly at the beginning.

I later bougth a Z10. There was an idea for a simple app (just for me myself), that i wanted to realise, but i never started because of the above mentioned problems.

Now, i have a Priv, i can code for it easily, everything is fine

When BB10 was released, it was my task to figure out the effort for porting our last app (for iOS tablets) to BB10. Since our customer (owner of the app, we build for him) is very big, i had contact to one of the BB10 devs. But this guy almost never responded, and when he did, it was clear that he even did not read my mails carefully.
    So our customer decided, that the porting of the app will be canceled. So our app came to iOS, but not BB10.

I'm pretty sure, we were not the only ones.

Another problem was the price of the (first) BB10 devices.
    The Z10 was 650�, more than an equal iPhone.

if i'm a struggeling manucfaturer and want to establish a new OS, it will not succeed when the price so high, that nobody wants to spent the money on it.
    And if nobody buys the devices, noboby will code apps for it.
    Uzi, JeepBB, Gallofa and 7 others like this.
    07-04-16 02:38 AM
    I think it was just bad timing, to little to late. iOS and Android had a strong grip at the market already. So the app gap was a issue, in a similar way like Windows Phone. If BB 10 had come to market just one or two years earlier maybe it would have been a different story.
    One word to Windows Phone...

From the view of a programmer, the OS is a mess.
    - its very unstable
    - MS removed many functions, that are common in .net
    - these removals are not documentated!
    - the whole documentation is outdated and partly WRONG
    - the OS has bugs, that will not be fixed, e.d. using the camera-API in your app can crash the driver. MS' solution is "restart the device" (Answer from MS official)

Windows phone (or Win10-mobile) could be much better and then more ppl would buy it!
    Uzi, JeepBB and jegs2 like this.
    07-04-16 02:44 AM
    ^well said
    07-04-16 02:44 AM
    so sick and tired of the "lack of apps" argument! i've been able to find/install/use just about any app that i "have to have" in an alternative app store (if not already found in Amazon AppStore). It's not rocket science to download another app store and install from there. BB just needs to continue updating its Android RunTime for continued android app support. Granted, there are still a few out there which require Google Play Services, but these are usually not "must-haves" anyway.

If you like BB phones and want to see more, do your part and don't sabotage others' efforts! Don't buy Android/Apple phones. Do word-of-mouth advertising. Develop native BB apps if you can, or support those who do.
    07-04-16 03:52 AM
    Wait so you're telling me the early Privs with the clicky screen was a feature? :P
    HAHAHA this killed me LOL
    Ronindan and anon(9878325) like this.
    07-04-16 05:57 AM
    so sick and tired of the "lack of apps" argument! i've been able to find/install/use just about any app that i "have to have" in an alternative app store (if not already found in Amazon AppStore). It's not rocket science to download another app store and install from there. BB just needs to continue updating its Android RunTime for continued android app support. Granted, there are still a few out there which require Google Play Services, but these are usually not "must-haves" anyway.

If you like BB phones and want to see more, do your part and don't sabotage others' efforts! Don't buy Android/Apple phones. Do word-of-mouth advertising. Develop native BB apps if you can, or support those who do.

My company uses Salesforce and Salesforce is no longer supporting BB10. Guess what - my company is no longer supplying BB10 smartphones by the end of this year. My company is not going to choose Salesforce over BB. And don't even suggest that I should waste my time trying to jury rig a solution when I can just order a new iphone from my company.

There are industry specific apps that are not supporting BB10. The app gap covers both commercial and consumer apps - having a crippled app ecosystem is one of the key areas that led to BB current situation. Also BB can no longer update Android Run Time as BB is now an OHA member and OHA members are not allowed to sell forked android or piggyback to Google ecosystems (android run time). Also with a new version of android (Nougat) going to be released this fall - will mean android apps will be updated and will not be compatible with android run time.
    TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
    07-04-16 06:16 AM

- Android apps run a lot slower on BB10's emulator.
    - And also there is no GCM-Service, what means that you dont get push messages.
    - The emulator is unstable and crashes a lot.
    - Also the App-State is not saved properly, when going in background, what leads to missing data or crashes.
    - The emulator is suspended, when the App is suspended, so its not possible to run any backgorund tasks, even when the app is in "background"
    - The emulator runs on Android 4.3, we have Android 6 now, and Android 7 will be rolled out soon.
    JeepBB and web99 like this.
    07-04-16 06:18 AM
    Sometimes the simplest explanation is the best one. The market preferred other phones and other ecosystems.
    But....but if everybody said that there are no more forum drama - no more conspiracy theories on how the government, NSA, CIA, Media companies, banks, tin foil manufacturers, Google, Apple, Sybase, Palm, MS, Oracle, Pizza Hut, Santa Claus and Rick from accounting came together to bring down RIM/BB.
    TgeekB, JeepBB and oldtimeBBaddict like this.
    07-04-16 06:29 AM
    BB10 died because there was an absolute lack of adequate and catchy marketing. That is the single reason that is most responsible for it's decline. you can't sell handsets if nobody knows you're making them. Blackberry caused this all on their own. It is nobody's fault but their own. Im selling mine today and getting a samsuck.
    07-04-16 07:17 AM
    Im selling mine today and getting a samsuck.
    Sooooo.............you're selling your phone to buy a phone you don't like?

07-04-16 07:48 AM
    One word.....Timing.
    07-04-16 07:51 AM
    BB10 died because there was an absolute lack of adequate and catchy marketing. That is the single reason that is most responsible for it's decline. you can't sell handsets if nobody knows you're making them. Blackberry caused this all on their own. It is nobody's fault but their own. Im selling mine today and getting a samsuck.
    This is a very valid point.
    Most ppl didnt know about the os.
    The phones were'nt shown at the dealers, no ads anywhere.
    07-04-16 08:48 AM
    This is a very valid point.
    Most ppl didnt know about the os.
    The phones were'nt shown at the dealers, no ads anywhere.
    There was tons of advertising and news coverage in Canada . Canada also had a strong base of corporate clients and loyal consumer fans. BB10 failed here too.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB, Ronindan and TgeekB like this.
    07-04-16 09:14 AM
    Yes many of you will say its expensive to do, well let me put some examples to clear d air.
    Twitter: started with 8 employees, current 50.
    Wats app: 20 dev team, 300 server support team.
    Clash of clans: team of 30 ppl.
    Dropbox: team of 70
    Instagram: team of 60
    Shareit: team of 10
    Cant we make these kindof apps by BlackBerry and make it more better?
    Seriously?! You think it's that easy don't you? Why don't you get 10-70 people together and invent the whole mobile app universe yourself?

Do you know behind Whats App, how many startups are founded to solve the exact same problem and failed? Do you know behind every successful app, how many Angel/VC funding were wasted and went no where?

It's easy to look at those successful stories and say this is easy, I can do it if I have the opportunity. It's even easier to judge other people by saying, if they can do it, why can't you?

The truth is, innovation is hard, commercialization of innovations is even harder. There is a reason Venture Capital business starts its name with the word Venture. In this business, majority of the ventures fail.

Kudos to BlackBerry who tried their best to swim in the same water with those sharks... and brought us BB10 that I enjoyed a few years. Yes I am upgrading to a S7 Edge in a week or two, and yes they executed poorly in many aspects of their operation, but I am not going to judge them for that, because it's VERY VERY hard to do what they do.

Yes I now believe they won't have a chance to stay in device business for long... and it won't make sense for them to stay there anyway. IBM sold their PC business, Motorola got sold to Google and then to Lenovo. Because it makes sense to do so... But I have respect for those guys who work in BlackBerry doing what they do.

They did try to change the world for better, with action, not words.
    Ronindan, TgeekB, JeepBB and 2 others like this.
    07-04-16 10:28 AM
    IMO, Blackberry needs a HUGE MONEY form a private investor and a permanent shutdown for 2 or 3 years,
    If an investor can accumulate that kind of money by himself/herself, he/she will be smart enough than investing that kind of money in a team with a poor tracking record, without a clear business plan, and 2-3 years of time without no clear idea how to make that money back in folds.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-04-16 10:35 AM
    The reason it failed, is because it was not released earlier, Android and iPhone grabbed all the market before BB decided to upgrade their old OS.
    07-04-16 10:54 AM
    BlackBerry is allready dead without any significant update like new browser, Android runtime upgrade but still there is space in the market.

Now Android and Apple are copying a hub light/notification function and other stuff . BlackBerry is going for Google the data-mining company it's no use to buy an BlackBerry Device and that is why it's still weird the came out with a qwerty semi device with a high price tag? The OS is in coma and they could bring it back in a new os number with some smart update's and marketing . Android is still Android like nexus 5X ,moto G and cheaper to use, so why should users or companies go for a BlackBerry?

BlackBerry is one big flop in Marketing with great products and nice awards and best of the best competitions but that is not enough and still love BB10 and must say Android works but the gesture,swipe and HUB is great on BB10.
    Bossque likes this.
    07-04-16 11:36 AM

The fact that YOU can find all of the apps that YOU need doesn't mean that there's no app gap. Also, you shouldn't have to use an alternate app store in the first place, and you wouldn't have to if BB had done a better job cultivating relationships with developers.
    JeepBB and 21stNow like this.
    07-04-16 12:46 PM
    Some poeple dont understand that we live in a apps driven market and also de marketing is really important, whitout those two things is really dificult, at least here in my country BB was the leader but they delivered bad devices and they began calling bb devices the dumbphones
    07-04-16 12:52 PM
    U.S. Congress finally ditches the Blackberry

This latest news should further support this idea that the platform is basically dead. No support for these devices and developres walking away is end of life. It was already foreshadowing when they released an android device.
    07-04-16 02:33 PM
    The bottom line is that when Chen took the helm, BB10 was dead.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-16 02:42 PM
209 12345 ...