Perhaps, but it will still be a serviceable Android device for years to come, and Android devices can be updated. I was no fan of Android and liked the BB10 interface better, but the fact remains that few out there support BB10 any more, while Android has all the support.
    The trouble is that BlackBerry is not willing to spend the amount of R +D money required to make BlackBerry relevant. Will they spend the money required to update their next three phones to the next iteration of Android ? Will they keep up with security patches? Will they ever make a phone that has a top notch build quality with few teething problems ? I suspect that the Alcatel deal is a precursor to a sale of the handset division. Hopefully, the next owner ,if there is one, will still want to make a PKB for those who need one.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-02-16 10:45 AM
    BB suffered from "Founder's Disease." Mike Lazaridis was a brilliant engineer who identified a set of problems with mobile, and, based on his early experience with Nokia's mobile data products, he created the 2-way BB pagers that eventually turned into early smartphones. But he fixated on these problems and solutions and refused to see that the world was changing and that, starting around 2005, there were new problems in search of new solutions.

Apple created the iPhone to solve those new problems and to make the (rapidly growing) power of smartphones easy for everyone to use. Google, who had already been working on the same idea, immediately adjusted their plans once the iPhone was announced, dropping work on their "Sooner" BB Bold-style phone and putting all their effort in the all-touch "Dream" concept (which became the HTC Dream/T-Mobile G1). But Mike, seeing the same thing Google saw, simply insisted that people really didn't want iPhones, touchscreens, cameras, mobile media, full web browsers, or apps - rather, he decided, physical keyboards (PKBs) and mobile email & messaging were all that mattered. Instead of immediately starting work on a next-gen OS (which should have been in the works long before the iPhone announcement), he focused on making touchscreens FEEL like a keyboard - something no one actually asked for. And a ton of time was invested in hacking their old, 1st-gen OS capable of working with a clickable touchscreen, cameras, and an improved web experience.

The Storm, the device in question, was a massive flop, requiring a replacement in the Storm 2 - which further wasted development time on the old OS when BB should have been focused in a new one. In fact, BB didn't even start development for 3 years after the iPhone launch, and took another 3 years to release a bug-filled version on older hardware at a high price. Again, it flopped, and truthfully BB didn't have a really stable, full-featured release for yet another full year - 7 years post-iPhone.

Seven years is an eternity in the tech business. BB effectively stood by and watched as Apple, and then Google ate their lunch and poached their business, and by the time they finally got into gear, the war had already been lost.

BB10 died in 2009, before the first line of code was even written, because that was the year that Apple and Google's ecosystems became so big and so diverse that they simply couldn't be caught, even with hundreds of billions of dollars in resources (I'm looking at Microsoft here).

Similarly, Microsoft had no excuse. They'd also been in the game for years, always half-heartedly, and that still really hasn't changed. By all rights, MS should be the kings of the mobile OS - they had a huge lead in many ways - but Ballmer just didn't understand mobile's importance, despite Bill Gates having been a mobile cheerleader for a decade before the iPhone.

Nokia and Palm also made similar mistakes, though to Palm's credit, they knew what was going on and were working on it - they just lacked the funds and were forced to sell themselves to HP, which was the kiss of death.

BB (Mike L) should have known better, but he thought 2001 problems were still the pressing issues in 2007, while the rest of the world had moved on.
    Amen, I could not have said it better myself.
    07-02-16 10:53 AM
    Never knew about Google's "Sooner" phone, so looked it up.

Interesting story.
    07-02-16 11:25 AM
    Perhaps, but it will still be a serviceable Android device for years to come, and Android devices can be updated. I was no fan of Android and liked the BB10 interface better, but the fact remains that few out there support BB10 any more, while Android has all the support.
    IIRC, the Priv has a locked-down boot loader. So, unless BB themselves release Android updates... you will be stuck.

I kind of agree with you in terms of the advantages of Android over BB10, but BB's Android devices are only supportable by BB. For the reasons I mentioned, I doubt BB's Android devices will stand out in a crowd... so I doubt they'll sell any better than the Priv... so BB won't make money on them... so the longer term support must be in doubt. And without BB support, you're stuck in an upgrade-less limbo.

Which is why I doubt BB Android devices have a bright future.
    07-02-16 11:42 AM
    To be fair, the cheap but good Samsung that I bought this past Christmas has had one security patch and no Marshmallow upgrade since.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-16 11:49 AM
    Never knew about Google's "Sooner" phone, so looked it up.

Interesting story.
    Good read, thanks.

The fact that Google could spin on a dime in response to the iPhone, and turn what was an obvious BB clone into an iPhone clone; makes MikeL's utter failure to respond to the iPhone for (literally!) years all the more spectacular.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    07-02-16 11:54 AM
    To be fair, the cheap but good Samsung that I bought this past Christmas has had one security patch and no Marshmallow upgrade since.
    ... and that's my thought concerning my PRIV. Even if it's never upgraded to MM and has no update patches, it's still a fully capable Android device that can run most applications on the market ... and it has a physical keyboard I like.
    07-02-16 01:00 PM
    I was putting down my Samsung. Never buy another. BlackBerry has to be better than Samsung.
    07-02-16 01:52 PM
    BlackBerry has to be better than Samsung
    So is it?
    07-02-16 02:44 PM
    I was putting down my Samsung. Never buy another. BlackBerry has to be better than Samsung.
    I can't believe how the tides turned.. BlackBerry was the definition of class while Samsung was the definition of crap, in phones that is..

Anyway, BlackBerry phones still get my attention more than Samsung.. I still think we've the class element..
    07-02-16 03:03 PM
    So is it?
    Too early to say. Hopefully they offer OS updates for a while. This is a real problem with Android devices. You can still use an iPhone 5 today. Not sure how an Android of the same vintage is holding up.

My issue with Samsung is their lack of support for devices lower spec'd than their flagship devices.
    07-02-16 05:35 PM
    Too early to say. Hopefully they offer OS updates for a while. This is a real problem with Android devices. You can still use an iPhone 5 today. Not sure how an Android of the same vintage is holding up.

My issue with Samsung is their lack of support for devices lower spec'd than their flagship devices.
    Try Nexus.. HTC also does a good job with updates.. They announced Android N is coming soon to M9,10 & A9.. While Samsung is MIA..
    07-02-16 06:37 PM
    Let me guess... you got one of those prepackaged LG Android prepaid phones, probably an Optimus still running Gingerbread or ICS that the carriers try to pass on as "smartphones" , which runs worse than a 10 year old flip phone...
    It was a contract phone from atnt, because I didn't know any better. LG Optimus Pro. It taught me to hate having a smartphone and I never forgave it. More apps being installed and forced on which previously could be disabled, gobbling my data. It was a nightmare. And from what I've read, android still behaves that way unless you learn how to root, and you have a rootable phone.
    07-02-16 10:16 PM
    It was a contract phone from atnt, because I didn't know any better. LG Optimus Pro. It taught me to hate having a smartphone and I never forgave it. More apps being installed and forced on which previously could be disabled, gobbling my data. It was a nightmare. And from what I've read, android still behaves that way unless you learn how to root, and you have a rootable phone.
    Your knowledge of Android is definitely stuck in 2010... nobody I know with Android phones root these days.
    TgeekB and 21stNow like this.
    07-02-16 10:26 PM
    Your knowledge of Android is definitely stuck in 2010... nobody I know with Android phones root these days.
    But don't they still have the app forced install forced update forced running data-eating issue?

It's all spyware, mostly. The phone's PRIMARY purpose is to track you; being a phone is secondary, I didn't own it, it owned me. It's just not that way with BlackBerry.
    07-02-16 10:39 PM
    But don't they still have the app forced install forced update forced running data-eating issue?

It's all spyware, mostly. The phone's PRIMARY purpose is to track you; being a phone is secondary, I didn't own it, it owned me. It's just not that way with BlackBerry.
    No and No but like what you like. You might want to get a back up BB10 or BBOS device.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-02-16 11:36 PM
    just do one change and BlackBerry will again rise
    I can't even imagine how many times I've seen ideas, most of them simply out of this world, just to get BlackBerry back the way they used to be
    07-03-16 12:12 AM

What forced install are you talking about? When carriers install their bloat to your phone? That happens on any carrier branded phone, even BlackBerry. I buy my phones off contract, so this is a non issue either way.

Background data eating issue? Android allows you to turn off background data on apps you want. Android consumes no more data then a BB10 device.

BlackBerry also collects your data. Third party apps which also have their own privacy policy, also collect your information.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    TgeekB, JeepBB, tabish4u and 3 others like this.
    07-03-16 12:47 AM
    Here is my opinion,BB didn't died today or yesterday it was happening long time ago when they refused to let people choose if they want to use BIS or local internet plan providers,that's what kills BB.If they let people to choose back in the days,more of them would had bought more an more BB devices and then the transition to BB OS10 would have been much easier and profitable.
    The rest of the story is predictable.
    katxeus likes this.
    07-03-16 04:54 AM
    Please no. again?

Posted via CB10
    Gotta have at least one a week. By Wednesday I'm sure another "BB10 can beat Apple with more marketing" topic will be created as well.
    Coachbulldog, JeepBB and MC_A_DOT like this.
    07-03-16 07:02 AM
    Gotta have at least one a week. By Wednesday I'm sure another "BB10 can beat Apple with more marketing" topic will be created as well.
    We're watching.
    07-03-16 12:03 PM
    ...in English?
    For a moderator your comment also leaves much to be desired. The OP's first language isn't English though we get the meaning of what he/ she is trying to convey, alas I am wasting my breath this is the "New CrackBerry ".

Posted via CB10
    07-03-16 02:02 PM
    Think a general discussion getting into android vs BlackBerry or ios and apps now.
    It was just a opinion open for more discussion thats it.
    And yes after new update my spacebar in q10 not picking up as well as h and a.
    07-03-16 03:22 PM
    BlackBerry left watsapp, not them. You never thretened them with a better bbm with better services, 20 dev made a app which in 3 years become 3 times more valuable to whole BlackBerry. Yes 20 dev team constitutes wats app.
    BlackBerry have 1k dev minimum, having a plateform, having a name called bbm, still in this world we cant send video in groups, its buggy, photos everything is so mess, and dont forget those annoying sticker pings(thats d most innovative thing they did to bbm).
    If BlackBerry would be a bit intrested they should have waited and come up with some innovative apps by themselves. They didnt.
    Pathetic team and minds working there what they made? A remember app, a blackberry protect(which dont work with other plateforms). They dont even bother to make a secure end to end drop box kinda thing, google apple all have those. What they did how to clone android runtime. Seriously.
    Now some enterprise talk. Do u know most of vpn available dont work in bb 10unlessit support cisco nd one more codecs. Why? Ok u wish to be secure. Did u tried tomake ur own vpn channel priced as same as others which are very cheap? Nope u didnt. You made it die u dead old minds in BlackBerry.
    Did u ever tried to have something which stands close to tht photo sharing app instagram so tht they feel thretned and make app for bb10?
    Did u tried to have a search engine by urself and let it grow?
    Did u tried to improve maps?
    Did you tried to have a cloud service like dropbox?
    Did you tried to have ur own email service?
    Did you tried to have your own os in desktop from so called qnx?
    Yes many of you will say its expensive to do, well let me put some examples to clear d air.
    Twitter: started with 8 employees, current 50.
    Wats app: 20 dev team, 300 server support team.
    Clash of clans: team of 30 ppl.
    Dropbox: team of 70
    Instagram: team of 60
    Shareit: team of 10
    Cant we make these kindof apps by BlackBerry and make it more better?

So I am done with my rant, nothing will change unless u get some fresh brains inside ur company who can give ideas, just do one change and BlackBerry will again rise: your brainstorming team.
    Nice told! Somehing to add, after long, long time using BB10 I bought Xperia Z3. First I loughed on craptoid, I was BB fan... Second, you know the battery was a weak point of Android, but...I had Passport and I was very happy that battery could last more than day (when you compare to other BB10 phones). Well it couldn' last two whole days, but I was very impressed! When I bought Z3, I was impressed more! For my needs battery last for TWO whole days! Speed is another advantage for Z3! Compare batt capacity, display dimensions...both phones released the same year. Camera, already someone said, is bad even on Passport (and slow), sad but true. I'd like to be BB fan again, but I obviously can't when BB10 is dead (for Android I'll use proved, more beautiful, faster... Android phone!) All this is for one purpose, it's another prove that BB10 is dead! Well, not dead, even the OS 7.1 and lower OSes isn't dead but will have the same destiny and that already started! SAD BUT TRUE...!
    07-03-16 05:13 PM
    BlackBerry left watsapp, not them. You never thretened them with a better bbm with better services, 20 dev made a app which in 3 years become 3 times more valuable to whole BlackBerry. Yes 20 dev team constitutes wats app.
    BlackBerry have 1k dev minimum, having a plateform, having a name called bbm, still in this world we cant send video in groups, its buggy, photos everything is so mess, and dont forget those annoying sticker pings(thats d most innovative thing they did to bbm).
    If BlackBerry would be a bit intrested they should have waited and come up with some innovative apps by themselves. They didnt.
    Pathetic team and minds working there what they made? A remember app, a blackberry protect(which dont work with other plateforms). They dont even bother to make a secure end to end drop box kinda thing, google apple all have those. What they did how to clone android runtime. Seriously.
    Now some enterprise talk. Do u know most of vpn available dont work in bb 10unlessit support cisco nd one more codecs. Why? Ok u wish to be secure. Did u tried tomake ur own vpn channel priced as same as others which are very cheap? Nope u didnt. You made it die u dead old minds in BlackBerry.
    Did u ever tried to have something which stands close to tht photo sharing app instagram so tht they feel thretned and make app for bb10?
    Did u tried to have a search engine by urself and let it grow?
    Did u tried to improve maps?
    Did you tried to have a cloud service like dropbox?
    Did you tried to have ur own email service?
    Did you tried to have your own os in desktop from so called qnx?
    Yes many of you will say its expensive to do, well let me put some examples to clear d air.
    Twitter: started with 8 employees, current 50.
    Wats app: 20 dev team, 300 server support team.
    Clash of clans: team of 30 ppl.
    Dropbox: team of 70
    Instagram: team of 60
    Shareit: team of 10
    Cant we make these kindof apps by BlackBerry and make it more better?

So I am done with my rant, nothing will change unless u get some fresh brains inside ur company who can give ideas, just do one change and BlackBerry will again rise: your brainstorming team.
    What are you saying exactly? Some things come through. A lot not so much. Perhaps some of your message lost in the rant...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    PygmySurfer likes this.
    07-03-16 08:43 PM
209 1234 ...