BlackBerry left watsapp, not them. You never thretened them with a better bbm with better services, 20 dev made a app which in 3 years become 3 times more valuable to whole BlackBerry. Yes 20 dev team constitutes wats app.
    BlackBerry have 1k dev minimum, having a plateform, having a name called bbm, still in this world we cant send video in groups, its buggy, photos everything is so mess, and dont forget those annoying sticker pings(thats d most innovative thing they did to bbm).
    If BlackBerry would be a bit intrested they should have waited and come up with some innovative apps by themselves. They didnt.
    Pathetic team and minds working there what they made? A remember app, a blackberry protect(which dont work with other plateforms). They dont even bother to make a secure end to end drop box kinda thing, google apple all have those. What they did how to clone android runtime. Seriously.
    Now some enterprise talk. Do u know most of vpn available dont work in bb 10unlessit support cisco nd one more codecs. Why? Ok u wish to be secure. Did u tried tomake ur own vpn channel priced as same as others which are very cheap? Nope u didnt. You made it die u dead old minds in BlackBerry.
    Did u ever tried to have something which stands close to tht photo sharing app instagram so tht they feel thretned and make app for bb10?
    Did u tried to have a search engine by urself and let it grow?
    Did u tried to improve maps?
    Did you tried to have a cloud service like dropbox?
    Did you tried to have ur own email service?
    Did you tried to have your own os in desktop from so called qnx?
    Yes many of you will say its expensive to do, well let me put some examples to clear d air.
    Twitter: started with 8 employees, current 50.
    Wats app: 20 dev team, 300 server support team.
    Clash of clans: team of 30 ppl.
    Dropbox: team of 70
    Instagram: team of 60
    Shareit: team of 10
    Cant we make these kindof apps by BlackBerry and make it more better?

So I am done with my rant, nothing will change unless u get some fresh brains inside ur company who can give ideas, just do one change and BlackBerry will again rise: your brainstorming team.
    enrod87, JulesDB, Bratza and 3 others like this.
    07-01-16 08:01 PM
    Huh? Lol
    RoseBud68, gugomat, jegs2 and 16 others like this.
    07-01-16 08:02 PM
    BlackBerry left watsapp, not them. You never thretened them with a better bbm with better services, 20 dev made a app which in 3 years become 3 times more valuable to whole BlackBerry. Yes 20 dev team constitutes wats app.
    BlackBerry have 1k dev minimum, having a plateform, having a name called bbm, still in this world we cant send video in groups, its buggy, photos everything is so mess, and dont forget those annoying sticker pings(thats d most innovative thing they did to bbm).
    If BlackBerry would be a bit intrested they should have waited and come up with some innovative apps by themselves. They didnt.
    Pathetic team and minds working there what they made? A remember app, a blackberry protect(which dont work with other plateforms). They dont even bother to make a secure end to end drop box kinda thing, google apple all have those. What they did how to clone android runtime. Seriously.
    Now some enterprise talk. Do u know most of vpn available dont work in bb 10unlessit support cisco nd one more codecs. Why? Ok u wish to be secure. Did u tried tomake ur own vpn channel priced as same as others which are very cheap? Nope u didnt. You made it die u dead old minds in BlackBerry.
    Did u ever tried to have something which stands close to tht photo sharing app instagram so tht they feel thretned and make app for bb10?
    Did u tried to have a search engine by urself and let it grow?
    Did u tried to improve maps?
    Did you tried to have a cloud service like dropbox?
    Did you tried to have ur own email service?
    Did you tried to have your own os in desktop from so called qnx?
    Yes many of you will say its expensive to do, well let me put some examples to clear d air.
    Twitter: started with 8 employees, current 50.
    Wats app: 20 dev team, 300 server support team.
    Clash of clans: team of 30 ppl.
    Dropbox: team of 70
    Instagram: team of 60
    Shareit: team of 10
    Cant we make these kindof apps by BlackBerry and make it more better?

So I am done with my rant, nothing will change unless u get some fresh brains inside ur company who can give ideas, just do one change and BlackBerry will again rise: your brainstorming team.
    Sad, but true.

Posted via CB10
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    07-01-16 08:12 PM
    Once a plateform for executives and students become a plateform for "huh" guys.
    Not surprising, there is a difference of quality of replies in "the verge" and bgr.
    Anyways, I have 3 q10 nd one pp and soon will have none after watsapp confirmation. We cant hold much in india, priv is no show with so expensive tag and less value formoney than competetors at that segment.
    Yes I can afford it but why should I tbh when its old and buggy still. Ill money is not for charity I want best of value for my money.
    Velocitymj and chain13 like this.
    07-01-16 08:13 PM
    Sad, but true.

Posted via CB10
    Yes they killed by themselves, everyone else just played around ur bad decisions nd lack of innovations.
    When bb10 launched u knw why app dev dont come? Coz there was never been a code for running app in background unless its opened in a square tab. Coz I own a dev company nd we didnt made d app coz of tht.
    You know how much time it take to rectify and write a code? 1.5 years,yes u cant run app in background unless it is opened or say minimised.
    07-01-16 08:16 PM
    Once a plateform for executives and students become a plateform for "huh" guys.
    Not surprising, there is a difference of quality of replies in "the verge" and bgr.
    Anyways, I have 3 q10 nd one pp and soon will have none after watsapp confirmation. We cant hold much in india, priv is no show with so expensive tag and less value formoney than competetors at that segment.
    Yes I can afford it but why should I tbh when its old and buggy still. Ill money is not for charity I want best of value for my money.
    Haha India.....So behind in the times. This has been stated over and over how BB10 will be left behind but it take an App to get everyone all wound up. That in its self is sad.
    Velocitymj likes this.
    07-01-16 08:17 PM
    Haha India.....So behind in the times. This has been stated over and over how BB10 will be left behind but it take an App to get everyone all wound up. That in its self is sad.
    Do u even know how much smartphones sold in india in a month? Do google and confirm and compare to other places includin urs,
    Why apple ceo came to india do u realised? Do u even know brands like xiaomi? For ur behind d times thing, yes agreed, we are not ranting abt a app, a whole ecosystem as a whole, india was second biggest market share after nokia in 2008 for BlackBerry in india, do u even know that?
    Anyways as I said nothing much to talk abt it now
    skinnymike1 and chain13 like this.
    07-01-16 08:22 PM
    Do u even know how much smartphones sold in india in a month? Do google and confirm and compare to other places includin urs,
    Why apple ceo came to india do u realised? Do u even know brands like xiaomi? For ur behind d times thing, yes agreed, we are not ranting abt a app, a whole ecosystem as a whole, india was second biggest market share after nokia in 2008 for BlackBerry in india, do u even know that?
    Anyways as I said nothing much to talk abt it now
    What ever Dud, 2008....Really
    07-01-16 08:30 PM
    What ever Dud, 2008....Really
    Yeah, long time back, anyways just thinking wat cb have for all BlackBerry guys when bb10 oficially die. I dont think we will see 10.4 version thou.
    Glad we can exchange our working phones with some top up money on online retailers like flipkart.
    07-01-16 08:34 PM
    Yeah, long time back, anyways just thinking wat cb have for all BlackBerry guys when bb10 oficially die. I dont think we will see 10.4 version thou.
    Glad we can exchange our working phones with some top up money on online retailers like flipkart.
    Not here in the state, its a dead device. I'll use it till i cant no more. I'm not into Apps as other.
    07-01-16 08:38 PM
    BB suffered from "Founder's Disease." Mike Lazaridis was a brilliant engineer who identified a set of problems with mobile, and, based on his early experience with Nokia's mobile data products, he created the 2-way BB pagers that eventually turned into early smartphones. But he fixated on these problems and solutions and refused to see that the world was changing and that, starting around 2005, there were new problems in search of new solutions.

Apple created the iPhone to solve those new problems and to make the (rapidly growing) power of smartphones easy for everyone to use. Google, who had already been working on the same idea, immediately adjusted their plans once the iPhone was announced, dropping work on their "Sooner" BB Bold-style phone and putting all their effort in the all-touch "Dream" concept (which became the HTC Dream/T-Mobile G1). But Mike, seeing the same thing Google saw, simply insisted that people really didn't want iPhones, touchscreens, cameras, mobile media, full web browsers, or apps - rather, he decided, physical keyboards (PKBs) and mobile email & messaging were all that mattered. Instead of immediately starting work on a next-gen OS (which should have been in the works long before the iPhone announcement), he focused on making touchscreens FEEL like a keyboard - something no one actually asked for. And a ton of time was invested in hacking their old, 1st-gen OS capable of working with a clickable touchscreen, cameras, and an improved web experience.

The Storm, the device in question, was a massive flop, requiring a replacement in the Storm 2 - which further wasted development time on the old OS when BB should have been focused in a new one. In fact, BB didn't even start development for 3 years after the iPhone launch, and took another 3 years to release a bug-filled version on older hardware at a high price. Again, it flopped, and truthfully BB didn't have a really stable, full-featured release for yet another full year - 7 years post-iPhone.

Seven years is an eternity in the tech business. BB effectively stood by and watched as Apple, and then Google ate their lunch and poached their business, and by the time they finally got into gear, the war had already been lost.

BB10 died in 2009, before the first line of code was even written, because that was the year that Apple and Google's ecosystems became so big and so diverse that they simply couldn't be caught, even with hundreds of billions of dollars in resources (I'm looking at Microsoft here).

Similarly, Microsoft had no excuse. They'd also been in the game for years, always half-heartedly, and that still really hasn't changed. By all rights, MS should be the kings of the mobile OS - they had a huge lead in many ways - but Ballmer just didn't understand mobile's importance, despite Bill Gates having been a mobile cheerleader for a decade before the iPhone.

Nokia and Palm also made similar mistakes, though to Palm's credit, they knew what was going on and were working on it - they just lacked the funds and were forced to sell themselves to HP, which was the kiss of death.

BB (Mike L) should have known better, but he thought 2001 problems were still the pressing issues in 2007, while the rest of the world had moved on.
    07-01-16 10:14 PM
    Yeah no one could have said it better than Troy, It was just too late.. They had to release it early enough to gain traction and support from developers, when they still had a huge users base.. Back at the end of 2012.. I had a Bold 9780.. and I was looking to buy a new device.. My first consideration went to BlackBerry, but they just didn't have a response to the innovation of Android And iOS.. They were seriously behind.. at times where Samsung had the Note II & S3.

That's what happened to almost everyone I knew who had a BlackBerry, we all wanted to jump to the next generation of BlackBerry phones.. We waited for them to do something, come up with something great.. But the offerings were seriously inferior to what was out there.. Even BB10 wasn't out at this time.. It was just too late.. They should've figured that out.. There response wasn't at the same level of Android & iOS.. They should've adopted Android back then in order to catch up quickly.. It would've saved them tons of money, and we wouldn't be where we're now.. They could've been seriously competing if they moved to Android early on, like everyone did..
    07-01-16 10:41 PM
    1st-gen OS capable of working with a clickable touchscreen,
    Wait so you're telling me the early Privs with the clicky screen was a feature? :P
    07-01-16 11:21 PM
    07-01-16 11:24 PM
    I didnt get a smartphone til 2012. I learned LG = android = bad, I learned BlackBerry = good, whether 10 or 07. BlackBerry is not dead until it IS dead. BlackBerry 'die-hards' are that way for good reason.

All the people posting about BlackBerry phones on this forum BECAUSE they don't like them, is Just Plain Weird.

I think somebody is paying people to come here and hate BlackBerry. It's the only explanation that makes sense to me.

And all the people griping about PKB's too. If you gripe we don't need them, its only because you've never used one.

And believing BlackBerry IS dead, you still come to a BlackBerry forum to post about how BlackBerry is dead? Why do you care that people keep using it. I think it will end up dead to the general public and unavailable for them (us), but will still be out there as the important real choice people (not us) need. The rest of us are being taught we want bt spied upon, we don't want privacy, if we did we must be doing something wrong. The younger generation swallow this hook line and sinker. They still run with the pak just like jr hi school. Anyone who cares whether they are using the same phone as other people is still in jr hi school.

I could give a damn about the apps BlackBerry does not have, it has replaced my need to own a buggy eavesdropping computer with Windoze 10 and Goggle Hears Everything.

EVERYTHING.

And virus protection and cache cleaners and firewalls. And the worst offender: forced self installing self updating malware apps.

Oh wait, it's not just Windoze that has Goggle. Is there any phone besides BlackBerry where you don't Have to use it? Does anyone care? If not that's why BlackBerry is 'dying,' nobody cares about what is DIFFERENT about it anymore ... But if only they knew.
    07-01-16 11:28 PM
    We're discussing the mistakes of the past, no need to get angry mate.. Just an analysis.. I'm all for BB10 myself.. As long as I've an android for everything else.
    TgeekB, Ronindan, chain13 and 1 others like this.
    07-01-16 11:35 PM
    I didnt get a smartphone til 2012. I learned LG = android = bad, I learned BlackBerry = good, whether 10 or 07. BlackBerry is not dead until it IS dead. BlackBerry 'die-hards' are that way for good reason.
    Let me guess... you got one of those prepackaged LG Android prepaid phones, probably an Optimus still running Gingerbread or ICS that the carriers try to pass on as "smartphones" , which runs worse than a 10 year old flip phone...
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    07-01-16 11:35 PM
    Yeah no one could have said it better than Troy, It was just too late.. They had to release it early enough to gain traction and support from developers, when they still had a huge users base.. Back at the end of 2012.. I had a Bold 9780.. and I was looking to buy a new device.. My first consideration went to BlackBerry, but they just didn't have a response to the innovation of Android And iOS.. They were seriously behind.. at times where Samsung had the Note II & S3.

That's what happened to almost everyone I knew who had a BlackBerry, we all wanted to jump to the next generation of BlackBerry phones.. We waited for them to do something, come up with something great.. But the offerings were seriously inferior to what was out there.. Even BB10 wasn't out at this time.. It was just too late.. They should've figured that out.. There response wasn't at the same level of Android & iOS.. They should've adopted Android back then in order to catch up quickly.. It would've saved them tons of money, and we wouldn't be where we're now.. They could've been seriously competing if they moved to Android early on, like everyone did..
    Going Android was never going to be a solution. BlackBerry would have messed it up as they did BB10. BlackBerry needed a change of leadership or even ownership to bring a change in thinking. Mike would still have tried to sell a BlackBerry OS, Android PKB clone. He would have tried a Android Storm, the Storm 2 and the Torch because he was convinced that PKB was what the consumers wanted. BB10 though late had given them a fighting chance, because it was different.

Long Live BB10!
    Linlithgow0 likes this.
    07-02-16 02:40 AM
    Going Android was never going to be a solution. BlackBerry would have messed it up as they did BB10. BlackBerry needed a change of leadership or even ownership to bring a change in thinking. Mike would still have tried to sell a BlackBerry OS, Android PKB clone. He would have tried a Android Storm, the Storm 2 and the Torch because he was convinced that PKB was what the consumers wanted. BB10 though late had given them a fighting chance, because it was different.
    !
    If being "different" were all it took, WindowsPhone would be hugely profitable.

As with everything, consumers buy based on a value-proposition that whatever-it-is provides them with benefit/advantage over something else that they could buy. Everyone's definition of value is different - for an overwhelming many, it's Apps; for the BBOS die-hards, it's the PKB and the (even now) functional and capable UI.

BB10's value-proposition simply didn't stack-up for enough people... I questioned several years ago if the Hub and the "peeking" paradigm was enough in the absence of Apps. It clearly wasn't, and now BB10 is on its way to phone heaven.

I actually agree with you that Android won't save BB's hardware division, and probably never could have done, regardless of when BB went Android. And it's another value proposition argument - BB's android phones will have the Apps (big tick!), and they'll also have the Hub (tick for BB10 fans, few others care)... but I doubt BB will be able to sell them at a price people are willing to pay - it'll be too much for the market... BB has always priced it's phones too high for the market!

People for whom price is important, will buy one of the many other fine Android phones.

People for whom specs are key, are likely to buy the latest whizzy thing from Samsung.

People who love BlackBerry, might buy a BB Android phone (if it's not too expensive and specs are adequate) but the "dozens" of BB fans remaining won't be enough to make BB Android a success, or profitable. And profitability is everything: Chen has always been clear that unprofitable parts of BB will be "gone".

So, yes BB10 is dead. BB Android is hot on it's heels.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 07-02-16 at 03:23 AM.
    07-02-16 03:11 AM
    I dont blame Chen, he saved Blackberry from going down completely.

The best BBOS was my Bold 9900, even then I was constantly messing around with radio files to improve the phone. Playbook looked good, was ok for a year and then just got passed by. Classic and Z30 were the the best of OS10 for me, unfortunately to late for the developers and to limited to make an impact on the Brand.

I have to be honest tried a Priv, was ok for a while, started to look flakey and have now dissapointentedly moved to S7 Edge
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    07-02-16 05:25 AM

I actually agree with you that Android won't save BB's hardware division, and probably never could have done, regardless of when BB went Android. And it's another value proposition argument - BB's android phones will have the Apps (big tick!), and they'll also have the Hub (tick for BB10 fans, few others care)... but I doubt BB will be able to sell them at a price people are willing to pay - it'll be too much for the market... BB has always priced it's phones too high for the market!
    I think the problem is with BlackBerry's mindset that the board still thinks it's 2007 where they can pull the margins where they have a large sheep to herd like Apple. Think Chen mentioned it's at what, 40%?

I think when they mean by "not profitable" they mean "underperforming their unrealistic margins" . Especially after someone explained the writedown was not considered a total loss I thought it was, it just meant that inventory couldn't pull the profit margin that was originally expected. That's just more signs they pegged the margin too high.

I mean I HIGHLY doubt companies like OnePlus/Oppo, Xiaomi pulls margins like that. And probably reason why hardware is restructured under mobility solutions along with Good and the other acquisitions, that's to let the board see the whole picture.
    07-02-16 07:06 AM
    To talk about margins, did u guys remember the quality of bold 9000, a solid built device with quality speaking for itself at that time, I dont remember BlackBerry build the same quality of that time: now, and asking same price in return. Remember apple devices lOok premium with medicore specs.
    Now u price same like samsung and apple and give ppl an average quality of materials and say we r done with hardware division. I mean did they ever tried to give porche design kinda feel in priv? And they say they priced it wrong. Frankly speaking chen is not a harware guy, this thing need a mindset and a person like apple designer tbh.
    07-02-16 08:18 AM
    Please no. again?

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-02-16 08:32 AM
    BB Android is hot on it's heels.
    Perhaps, but it will still be a serviceable Android device for years to come, and Android devices can be updated. I was no fan of Android and liked the BB10 interface better, but the fact remains that few out there support BB10 any more, while Android has all the support.
    TgeekB and skinnymike1 like this.
    07-02-16 09:04 AM
    Perhaps, but it will still be a serviceable Android device for years to come, and Android devices can be updated. I was no fan of Android and liked the BB10 interface better, but the fact remains that few out there support BB10 any more, while Android has all the support.
    Unfortunately (perhaps) it's as simple as this.
    07-02-16 09:34 AM
209 123 ...