So to start with, I love blackberry and I wish I could use it for longer. I love the way it just works, calendar, contact, mail sync.I am loving it.

But the way the providers in this country (Hungary) treat BES traffic as something that can be sold in the price of gold and diamonds is just crazy and makes me unable to do so. When it comes to Data on Blackberry (BIS or BES) versus data on android/iphones prices differ and not by a small bit. If you want to break down both for 1 Gigabyte of traffic.you have to choose to pay about $10 for android/iphone but if you want to use the same data for BES you need to pay about $2000. No, that's not a type-o that comes from the standard service that includes 25, 100 or 150 Mbyte of traffic (depending the provider) and after that it's something like $0.2 - 0.5 per 10 Kbytes again depending the provider.

So after this I have to ask the question is there something special about BES traffic that justifies the difference? I know that for BIS the provider has to have some servers hanging around etc. but for BES AFAIK all the infrastructure is with the company and not the provider and the provider sees nothing but plain old data.
    03-23-12 02:42 AM
    I thought in most countries there was a 1€ (or equivalent) BB service charge, but after that your standard data rates applied (that's how it happens here in France and the countries around France).
    The advantage of the BB is that it compresses the data before sending, so it takes up less space (according to reseach I've seen) than [for example] an iPhone.

I have no idea why you're getting screwed over like that, but I'd suggest talking to a BB Customer Service person to find out if those tarrifs are correct.

Si.
    03-23-12 04:26 AM
    could you post some plan details like actual plans,

as for why BES data is special is because BES devices are encrypted end to end via a company encryption, they are a secured platform, with completely secured devices, I don't expect a regular user would use BES it would be part of a company package.

NOW if ALL devices have 10MB- 25MB and 100MB data plans, but Android are 0.02-0.03 per KB overage, and BlackBerry's on BES are 0.10 overage, the big difference is BlackBerry's CAN live on 10MB of data, in 2008 my BB had a 2MB data limit. you wont find an Android/iPhone device that can even provide just email with 10MB in a month.
    03-23-12 04:35 AM
    could you post some plan details like actual plans,
    Google translate does transalte currency but doesn't convert htem. So � should read as HUF. 1 USD cent costs about 2,2 HUF. (https://www.google.com/search?client...utf-8&oe=utf-8)

Google Translate

Google Translate

Vodafone in particular doesn't post his BES solution, customer support should be called for that.

Other data plans:
    Google Translate

Google Translate

Google Translate

Does the provider have to care about the compression? I mean does the phone and BES server does the encryption or some device in the middle?
    03-23-12 07:44 AM
    Vodafone has upped the data limit to 2G for the same monthly cost finally. Still doesn't explain why others seem to be stuck in 1999 for pricing.
    03-23-12 10:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD