I don't understand why after my gps fix, my bb maps is working, but google maps is not. The google map is giving me the general location +/- 1800 meter. Anyone else having this issue, should work with gps, right??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-09 05:39 PM
    Should...yes. Does...not always. Google will give you a location based on the tower you are accessing and the range of that tower. You might be 10 ft or 4800 meters away. Sometimes (I use thay term loosely) google will get a gps sat lock. Now of course if you are vzw google won't get gps at all afaik.

06-27-09 06:25 PM
    Google Maps is very bad at finding/activating the GPS chip. If it is ruynning already (such as having BBMaps running in the background) Google Maps will pull from the GPS chip easily.

If Google Maps doesn't get a response from the GPS chip, then it defaults to tower triangulation, which gives you the large round blue circle on the map instead of 5-15 meter circle. If I remember correctly, Google Maps also doesn't refresh the GPS signal, so GPS may time out and Google Maps will revert back to tower triangulation.
    06-30-09 03:19 PM
    It doesn't use triangulation though, google just uses the tower your phone is accessing and the range of that tower to give you an approximate area you are in. So if you're imn a rural area with few towers you might be upwards of 5000 meters(3+ miles) from the center of the blue area. Conversely if you are in town your location might be very close to where it is showing you.

06-30-09 05:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD