I was thinking about it this morning and I have concluded that the success of BBM cross platform will be a true indicator of BlackBerry's potential in the US.
    Why? Because its adoption by Android and Apple users does not depend on BestBuy salespeople or carriers. Salespeople and stores might have quotas to meet for various phones or financial incentives for selling various phones. Likewise with carriers.
    With BBM VS the competition, it is only about what product is the best. Which product has the best features. Which product is the most reliable.
    Plus, BlackBerry can do as much advertising as the other IM products do, which is essentially none.
    09-20-13 09:05 AM
    It has little to do with which product is "the best".

But everything to do with which product is good enough.

iMessage for example (I could mention Whatsapp, but don't really know the latter) has all the options most people need, and all of their friends are accessible. So why would someone move to BBM? I don't doubt that BBM has more features than some of their competitors, but as long as the competitors need people's needs, whys would they switch?

Cross platform BBM is a good idea, but it came too late. Once people are used to a messaging platform it's hard to make them switch....
    FSeverino and JeepBB like this.
    09-20-13 09:13 AM
    BlackBerry's potential for what in the US, exactly? Not for selling handheld devices. As a competitor with WhatsApp, WeChat, ChatOn, Hangouts, iMessage, etc., etc.? That's kind of like going from being a top-rated NASCAR driver to driving a cab.
    notfanboy, mikeo007 and JeepBB like this.
    09-20-13 09:14 AM

iMessage for example (I could mention Whatsapp, but don't really know the latter) has all the options most people need, and all of their friends are accessible. So why would someone move to BBM? I don't doubt that BBM has more features than some of their competitors, but as long as the competitors need people's needs, whys would they switch?

Cross platform BBM is a good idea, but it came too late. Once people are used to a messaging platform it's hard to make them switch....
    Is iMessage cross platform? If not, then you are incorrect. Only if everyone is on an iPhone can you reach them.
    09-20-13 09:21 AM
    BlackBerry's potential for what in the US, exactly? Not for selling handheld devices. As a competitor with WhatsApp, WeChat, ChatOn, Hangouts, iMessage, etc., etc.? That's kind of like going from being a top-rated NASCAR driver to driving a cab.
    I am saying that with BBM, we are filtering out the negatives of carriers and salepeople who often times push people towards devices that they get paid extra to sell. I think BBRY would sell more smartphone devices if this did not happen.
    09-20-13 09:23 AM
    Not sure I agree with this statement, kids are forever trying new apps and messaging toys, if a new one comes along that offers something unique they will move to it quickly. BBM does have some uniqueness to offer but it needs to bring Channels in very quickly to really show that it is cool and fun. Channels stands a chance of hooking people in because they may end up more deeply invested in it and so less willing to move away from it, ala Facebook.

Ricocan
    09-20-13 09:49 AM
    I am saying that with BBM, we are filtering out the negatives of carriers and salepeople who often times push people towards devices that they get paid extra to sell. I think BBRY would sell more smartphone devices if this did not happen.
    Leaving that aside, how does BBM's availability on non-BBs sell more BBs? I've never quite gotten the handle on that theory.
    09-20-13 10:06 AM
    Leaving that aside, how does BBM's availability on non-BBs sell more BBs? I've never quite gotten the handle on that theory.
    I never said it would. Although if people like it enough, they may be tempted to look at the phones next time they are due for an upgrade.
    It is about rebuilding the brand name in the US.
    Rui Jorge likes this.
    09-20-13 10:22 AM
    I agree. If this didn't work then we wouldn't have Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and WhatsApp phones. After all, Facebook users always look for a Facebook phone when its time to upgrade because even though they know that Facebook works on their current platform, it might work even better on a Facebook phone.

That's the main reason people buy a phone over all other considerations. That's how Facebook and Twitter built their smartphone hardware businesses - on the strength of their brand names.
    notfanboy likes this.
    09-20-13 10:28 AM

iMessage is not cross platform. to take a marketing cue from Apple ......More people rock Android devices then any other platform in the world

BBM will provide the best cross platform cummunication and IM service on the planet. It still has positive brand recognition, it will be free to download.

Its free, it's the best, recognized and trusted .......... I think a the only fair question is why WOULDN'T everyone use it?
    09-20-13 10:32 AM
    Its free, it's the best, recognized and trusted .......... I think a the only fair question is why WOULDN'T everyone use it?
    It's free - [check]
    It's the best - [TBD]
    It's recognized - [as previously popular]
    It's trusted - [TBD]

So what we have, essentially, is a previously popular smartphone platform came out with a free messaging app. Are there that many people looking for a free messaging app?
    mikeo007 and JeepBB like this.
    09-20-13 10:45 AM
    Most people would rather something free over paying for something. Wether or not its enough to bring people over? like you said is still to be determined.
    09-20-13 11:03 AM
    I never said it would. Although if people like it enough, they may be tempted to look at the phones next time they are due for an upgrade.
    It is about rebuilding the brand name in the US.
    I agree this sentiment. The mind share will definitely increase with x platform BBM. Whether BlackBerry can capitalize that mindshare and monetize BBM remains to be seen.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 11:10 AM
    I agree. If this didn't work then we wouldn't have Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and WhatsApp phones. After all, Facebook users always look for a Facebook phone when its time to upgrade because even though they know that Facebook works on their current platform, it might work even better on a Facebook phone.

That's the main reason people buy a phone over all other considerations. That's how Facebook and Twitter built their smartphone hardware businesses - on the strength of their brand names.
    The Facebook phone flopped. As for a Twitter phone, I'm not aware of one.

iMessage is not cross platform. to take a marketing cue from Apple ......More people rock Android devices then any other platform in the world

BBM will provide the best cross platform cummunication and IM service on the planet. It still has positive brand recognition, it will be free to download.
    To take another cue from Apple, iMessage is intended to grow iOS. . .it's not intended to make it more pleasant to use Android devices. BBM was originally used the same way, but now apparently BBRY has decided to improve messaging on competing platforms at no cost to users. The users will appreciate it, but I don't think BBRY shareholders will.

It is free and many recognize it as the best, but most people still don't know what it is. Keep in mind that many Apple users don't know what "iMessage" is (the app is labeled "Messages") after all, even though it comes installed on their devices by default. Being the best is one thing, but getting that message out for something like a messaging app is very difficult, even for companies who have a history of going to market effectively (which doesn't seem to describe BBRY).
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-20-13 11:26 AM
    I think a the only fair question is why WOULDN'T everyone use it?
    Uh, because my BBM contact list dropped down to zero a year or so ago?
    09-20-13 11:51 AM

The Facebook phone flopped. As for a Twitter phone, I'm not aware of one.
    Um, Sarcasm, meet Literally. Literally, I'd like you to meet Sarcasm.
    09-20-13 11:54 AM
    I don't know anyone who uses a Blackberry, either, but I'll download it just so I can try out some of these crazy Crackberry groups
    09-20-13 11:54 AM
    Is iMessage cross platform? If not, then you are incorrect. Only if everyone is on an iPhone can you reach them.
    Nope, iMessage automatically sends an SMS if you're writing to somebody without an iPhone.

Functionally, for the iPhone user it is crossplatform. You wouldn't need to use anything else, whether you're writing to somebody with an iPhone or not...
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-20-13 12:56 PM
    Uh, because my BBM contact list dropped down to zero a year or so ago?
    Exactly... Most of the people who need a messaging app, already has one: whether iMessage, Whatsapp, Kik or Samsungs app.

(Also keep in mind that you don't pay anything for incoming messages in most countries, and outgoing SMS are dirt cheap or free. SMS is the default messaging platform, especially when integrated with iMessages or Samsungs offering.)

So the people I know are most likely on one of my messaging apps already. Why would anyone switch to BBM?!?

"Free" isn't enough...
    09-20-13 01:03 PM
    People are putting way too much thought into this lol

My understanding is it will do good from the get go..

Look at these things from the very start...

Samsung team up with BBM in emerging markets

They are known for making the right decisions and have excellent marketing. WIN

BBM teamed up with Micromax in India.. once again a good partner in an emerging market.

There popularity in places such as Indonesia and Malaysia are huge so once again growth can be expected.

From what I see/hear it should move well in Canada as well.

The US maybe a tough nut to crack, I doubt a total flop and with big numbers elsewhere it will be a featured app in said stores..

Overall I'm happy for this too happen and can't wait for my friends list to grow again

Posted via Z10
    nathan3d likes this.
    09-20-13 01:28 PM
    Overall I'm happy for this too happen and can't wait for my friends list to grow again
    See, this is what I don't get. Even though you still have some BBM contacts left, what makes you think that all of those other friends are going to suddenly start using BBM so they can chat with you and you can add them to your BBM contact list? What have they been using all of this time?
    09-20-13 01:39 PM
    I have never understood the whole "BBM will lead to more BB10 sales" theory either (not that that is what OP implied).

IMHO, smartphone purchases are a relatively simple process, even for those that don't live and die by tech soundbites. They look at a phone of a friend, or family member, or co-worker. Then, they want a device that can at least replicate those features. So far, because of its relatively sparse ecosystem, BB10 struggles to give consumers that replication.

BBM4ALL does not solve that problem, and I don't think BBRY has any allusions that it will.
    09-20-13 01:47 PM
    See, this is what I don't get. Even though you still have some BBM contacts left, what makes you think that all of those other friends are going to suddenly start using BBM so they can chat with you and you can add them to your BBM contact list? What have they been using all of this time?
    Well it's more from people I have talked to and there excitement. Most of them hated losing BBM when they left BlackBerry. Many have expressed interest.. likewise some haven't but majority has and that alone will cause others to join

Posted via Z10
    09-20-13 02:00 PM
    I have never understood the whole "BBM will lead to more BB10 sales" theory either (not that that is what OP implied).

IMHO, smartphone purchases are a relatively simple process, even for those that don't live and die by tech soundbites. They look at a phone of a friend, or family member, or co-worker. Then, they want a device that can at least replicate those features. So far, because of its relatively sparse ecosystem, BB10 struggles to give consumers that replication.

BBM4ALL does not solve that problem, and I don't think BBRY has any allusions that it will.
    It's rather simple problem.. BlackBerry has zero name recognition in the US ect. ... BBM if done right will help change the perception of BlackBerry.. that alone will cause people to look at BlackBerry. Nobody said it will be drastic change but it should help in that and that alone

Posted via Z10
    09-20-13 02:16 PM
  25. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    BlackBerry needs a huge win with bbm cross platform launch and adoption.....

Let's help that process along by encouraging as many of our non blackberry friends to download and use bbm!!

It can make a big difference. I beleive.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 07:39 PM
37 12