I think it would be carrier-dependent. Here in the Philippines (GLOBE) we have different BIS data plans. We can activate a plan specific for BBM only, or Email only, or Social networking only, or all plans including unlimited internet surfing. And no, BBM does not work on wifi on legacy devices.
    Correction, it does work on wifi as long as you have an active BIS plan.

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    10-28-13 07:02 AM
    Ahmmmm. BBM s just included in the plan so I think you're not paying for BBM only
    10-28-13 07:05 AM
    Lol, you buy a BlackBerry for bbm?
    Normally people buy BlackBerry because they want a secure phone, or because of the keyboard.

Or even for the awesome notification led.

But for bbm?

Remember, BlackBerry is a business phone and it always will

Posted via CB10
    Maybe in developed markets where bb share has fallen below 3%.

However in Indonesia where earlier this year it accounted for 20% of worldwide blackberry users, bbm is the reason to get a blackberry.
    Same goes for the Middle East, India, etc.

To them blackberry=bbm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    garnok and Etios like this.
    10-28-13 07:14 AM
    There is no reason why BB shouldn't enhance OS 7.x to allow BBM without BIS. The OP makes a valid point. If the NOC can be configured to support IOS, Android and eventually desktop versions of BBM they can do it for OS 7.x. There are plenty of applications (Opera for one) that does direct TCP/IP without having a BIS plan. You do not need BIS for data applications in OS 7.x.

Furthermore, providing a native ActiveSync client will address the only other sustainability issue with OS 7.

People complain about the US carriers all day long in news groups and their lack of support for Blackberry. Carriers don't push blackberry because of the long history of cost to provision the handsets when there are so many other competing products that better their bottom line. Look at the NVMO market - not a single one of them in the US has a BIS plan, yet millions of Blackberries are provisioned by these providers. They all get network data in addition to WiFi, just not BIS.

OS 7 is a sustainable product if managed and marketed properly. I've owned 20+ BB devices, am a mobile enterprise solution developer supporting, IOS, Android, Blackberry and WP and currently still use my 9930 regularly over my Z10 and other ecosystems.
    10-28-13 07:16 AM
    I think the plans must be different I'm other countries but in India you need to pay for a bis connection which buys you 2g network while for the same money one gets a 3 g plan for android through which you get access to your mails and also now Bbm. Plus on BlackBerry of you don't get a bis plan then you cannot use your Bbm even through wifi but your what's app works on wifi, where's on android even if you don't have a network plan you can access through wifi. So now tell me why this difference?

Posted via CB10
    Like here in Cambodia! Unfair for old BlackBerry device

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 07:21 AM
    There is no reason why BB shouldn't enhance OS 7.x to allow BBM without BIS. The OP makes a valid point. If the NOC can be configured to support IOS, Android and eventually desktop versions of BBM they can do it for OS 7.x. There are plenty of applications (Opera for one) that does direct TCP/IP without having a BIS plan. You do not need BIS for data applications in OS 7.x.

Furthermore, providing a native ActiveSync client will address the only other sustainability issue with OS 7.

People complain about the US carriers all day long in news groups and their lack of support for Blackberry. Carriers don't push blackberry because of the long history of cost to provision the handsets when there are so many other competing products that better their bottom line. Look at the NVMO market - not a single one of them in the US has a BIS plan, yet millions of Blackberries are provisioned by these providers. They all get network data in addition to WiFi, just not BIS.

OS 7 is a sustainable product if managed and marketed properly. I've owned 20+ BB devices, am a mobile enterprise solution developer supporting, IOS, Android, Blackberry and WP and currently still use my 9930 regularly over my Z10 and other ecosystems.
    I somewhat agree about that, but just think of the time and potential chaos it would cause to upgrade every single OS 4, 5, 6, 7 circulating just to make them work without BIS. No, that is not really a common practice to have major modifications like that to old products. Either buy new phones, or get providers to offer BIS for free.

And as it has been said before: nobody should forget that BIS also gives data compression, which is necessary with 2g networks because of its speed.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    10-28-13 07:26 AM

However in Indonesia where earlier this year it accounted for 20% of worldwide blackberry users, bbm is the reason to get a blackberry.

To them blackberry=bbm

agree different market, different thinking...

that is why while people in developed countries feel BBM cross platform will help BB as a brand...and revive BB.

people in emerging market feel otherwise, BBM cross platform will be the end for Blackberry as a hardware companies because they will be losing so many BB past users pushing them to other platform.

only time will tell...

I somewhat agree about that, but just think of the time and potential chaos it would cause to upgrade every single OS 4, 5, 6, 7 circulating just to make them work without BIS. No, that is not really a common practice to have major modifications like that to old products. Either buy new phones, or get providers to offer BIS for free.

And as it has been said before: nobody should forget that BIS also gives data compression, which is necessary with 2g networks because of its speed.

not many market right now relies only 2g networks...most countries right now even in 3rd world country using minimum 3G networks..
    10-28-13 07:30 AM

To them blackberry=bbm

I agree, in most developing markets which were Blackberry stronghold, people bought blackberry for BBM, now the normal 3G plans are cheaper than BIS plans, so people are opting for Androids and iphones and this BBM app release in only accelerating this phenomenon. two of my friends have sold their BB devices for S4 and iphone respectively since the launch of BBM app on the App store and play store.
    10-28-13 07:32 AM
    not many market right now relies only 2g networks...most countries right now even in 3rd world country using minimum 3G networks..
    True, but they can't change only half of the phones, they have to change them all, hence taking the worse cases.

10-28-13 07:39 AM
    I agree, in most developing markets which were Blackberry stronghold, people bought blackberry for BBM, now the normal 3G plans are cheaper than BIS plans, so people are opting for Androids and iphones and this BBM app release in only accelerating this phenomenon. two of my friends have sold their BB devices for S4 and iphone respectively since the launch of BBM app on the App store and play store.
    Good example, here is another.. One of my daughters has a 9930 that I provisioned on a Verizon MNVO (dirt cheap over VZW price plans). She LOVES the keyboard, couldn't convince her to go anywhere else - I loaded AstraSync so she has push/sync to Hotmail/Outlook. Guess what, if BBM takes off in her circle of friends - she is gone. I'm not paying extortion rates to simply have BIS for a teen.
    Last edited by McCorp; 10-28-13 at 10:01 AM.
    10-28-13 07:47 AM
    True, but they can't change only half of the phones, they have to change them all, hence taking the worse cases.

agree with your statement...it's hard for BB to make other legacy phone free BBM not depend with BIS. because we know they prefer people buying their BB10 phone. giving people free BBM only will keeping their customers not upgrading their phone, besides free BBM will reducing BB service revenue, while BB still have to maintain their server.

while android/iOS can get BBM for free BB realized new business potential by giving them cross platform BBM...almost every social network at first not charging / put ads on their apps/website because they want it to grow before they can monetize it.
    10-28-13 08:05 AM
    I totally agree with this original posting, even though many people along the way don't get what he's talking about.

Case it point - My daughters have android devices with no data plan. They can use BBM on wifi. My wife has a BB7 phone with no data plan and she can't use BBM on wifi, as it won't work unless you have BIS and the service books. Sure my wife could buy a data plan, but to do so requires a blackberry data plan will cost more then if my daughters were to buy a data plan for their android devices. (BIS always makes the plan either smaller or more expensive). This is in Canada btw.
    Last edited by 2speedy4u; 10-28-13 at 10:11 AM.
    10-28-13 08:30 AM
    There are a couple, for example, BIS plans do not have internet limit, if you use your 2Gigs than your internet connection will degrade to a slower speed, but in iOS and Android devices, you have a limit, once you used that limit, your internet connection stops. Other then that security is much better and emails go thru faster etc.
    10-28-13 09:12 AM
    I think the title says it all. Why does BlackBerry charge for old BlackBerry handsets like 9780 and why r they giving it free to android and ios? In India you're charged a fixed monthly plan to get Bbm services? Which to me doesn't make any sense .

Posted via CB10
    You're mixing up the service with the software. The software is free, but to run the service is not free for anyone, you will still need a data service to run it, data is data, whether you call it BIS or whatever bundle its called, and data is never free!
    10-28-13 10:13 AM
    You're mixing up the service with the software. The software is free, but to run the service is not free for anyone, you will still need a data service to run it, data is data, whether you call it BIS or whatever bundle its called, and data is never free!
    Data can be free when it's wifi. You can get free wifi all over the place and use BBM with your android or iphone, but not BB7.
    10-28-13 10:23 AM
    So bbm only works over wifi on legacy device if you have BIS or BES? If so they need to change that if non bb phones can use bbm over pure wifi.
    10-28-13 10:27 AM
    redundant statement...redundant answer

if you only need data..why you still need BIS Plan even if you want to access BBM on wifi ? and in several market BB charge for BBM only plan and it is more expensive than regular data plan...so that is why BBM is not free . carrier and BB still charge their customers for subscribers fee..
    10-28-13 10:27 AM
    There are a couple, for example, BIS plans do not have internet limit, if you use your 2Gigs than your internet connection will degrade to a slower speed, but in iOS and Android devices, you have a limit, once you used that limit, your internet connection stops.
    This is not entirely true. Whether your internet connection "stops" is dependent on your carrier. For example, my carrier, T-Mobile, throttles to EDGE once you exceed your data limit. Edge is admittedly pretty slow; but, it's still fast enough to handle a couple text messages.
    10-28-13 11:04 AM
    I think the title says it all. Why does BlackBerry charge for old BlackBerry handsets like 9780 and why r they giving it free to android and ios? In India you're charged a fixed monthly plan to get Bbm services? Which to me doesn't make any sense .

Posted via CB10
    Because BB10 doesn't use BIS.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 11:49 AM
    Bbm in android and iPhone is free...bt is chargeable to blackberry users ....it's like wife charging husband for sex..n giving free sex to the city :P

It's a joke going around these days.
    I know it's free (doesn't need BIS) on BlackBerry 10.
    Just thought to share the joke lolz :P

Posted via CB 10 on my BlackBerry Z10
    kbz1960 and Etios like this.
    10-28-13 11:57 AM
    Normally people buy BlackBerry because they want a secure phone, or because of the keyboard.

But for bbm?

Posted via CB10
    Yeah but BlackBerry doesn't want to sell it just as a business phone. That's why they have the Q5 (would you really carry a pink phone as a business phone?) out for the younger market. Wish they would release them here in the US. BlackBerry is more than just a "business" phone. It's a gaming device, social networking platform (BBM and Hub), and your own personal computer in your pocket.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 12:00 PM

But for bbm?

Posted via CB10
    In emerging markets, BlackBerry is/was marketed for BBM. The ads don't mention anything else. BlackBerry actually actively tries to shed the "business only" image in their ads.

Most people in places like India buy BlackBerry only for BBM, as a cheap substitute for SMS. In many places, email is nowhere near as popular as it is in NA and Europe and most people don't even use it regularly.
    garnok and Etios like this.
    10-28-13 01:11 PM
    Data can be free when it's wifi. You can get free wifi all over the place and use BBM with your android or iphone, but not BB7.
    I doubt there's many people that use androids and iphone phones on wifi only, after all they are phones. For wifi only you might as well have a tablet.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 02:18 PM
    I doubt there's many people that use androids and iphone phones on wifi only, after all they are phones. For wifi only you might as well have a tablet.

Posted via CB10
    They might just not opt for the data plan. I've seen quite a few do that in China.
    10-28-13 04:36 PM
    Its like comparing pay as U go with contract. OS 7 is a data compression package with gives yOu a bundle of premium features including BBM which is just a small part of it.
    10-28-13 05:01 PM
78 1234