I am sorry for RIM, I hope it works out for them. The deal breaker for me was simply the lack of features in Adobe Reader on the Playbook. That's it.

I work with very large PDF files and I need to be able to search, bookmark and other essentials, instead RIM emphasized games. They this is a business tablet but I could not use it for business.

I was a loyal bb user, I purchased 2 playbooks for my kids. They liked it but had to switch to iPads. Good luck RIM, it's the small things that matters not gaming.
    from the new build that N4BB reviewed Lucas stated:

"From my experience, the PDF reader is much improved from the Playbook version. The Print-to-Go app runs smoother and seems more fully featured on BlackBerry 10 than it does on the PlayBook."

i dunno if that will include all the features u want but it seems to be getting better.. just thought i'd share ; >
    11-08-12 12:00 PM
    This I agree with entirely, people will then start to care but that's also when all the major manufacturers (and 3rd parties involved) start to pay attention and try to make sure their customers are secure, not just RIM. To assume that 80 million people bought a blackberry because of its security is Naive, its discounts those that are issued a BB, those in emerging markets that bought it because it was the cheapest option and those that want it merely for BBM. If security was the deciding factor RIMs market share wouldn't have slipped as badly as it has. Yes, there are a percentage of users that stick to the BB because of its security but I doubt many of them are your average consumer and I would wager it was a fairly low percentage. Thankfully they have that option.
    isnt BBM secure then, I agree that the 80 mil figure is an intergration of all uses, security in my terms is also extended to cloud computing as I mentioned earlier so if a platform uses the cloud then it will not by definition be as secure as an in house computation given it's own secruity levels. BB is now one of the only devices which afford the facility to it's users.
    11-08-12 12:07 PM
    Seeing as someone quoted BD.

NO ONE CARES ABOUT SECURITY!

The market numbers have proven that security is not a selling point for the majority of buyers. They just don't care. Security will not help RIM gain market share. Sorry, it is what it is. It just doesn't matter except to a handful of people. Apps and Eco-system matter, if RIM can nail that they're in with a chance. Without that they'll be a minor player.

Sent from my 4s using TapaTalk
    Security may become an important factor with the increasing popularity of banking and credit card payments via smartphones, no?
    11-08-12 12:17 PM
    Security may become an important factor with the increasing popularity of banking and credit card payments via smartphones, no?
    I agree. If people start really getting into using this technology, you betcha they'll start paying more attention to security besides the current measures already being taken.
    11-08-12 12:21 PM
    Yes, I addressed it earlier, Remember however that there will be third parties involved in that, They will also have to be secure. Security goes beyond merely the handset.

richardat likes this.
    11-08-12 01:02 PM
    I agree. If people start really getting into using this technology, you betcha they'll start paying more attention to security besides the current measures already being taken.
    Yes, I addressed it earlier, Remember however that there will be third parties involved in that, They will also have to be secure. Security goes beyond merely the handset.

I can't seem to find the source, but I remember IDC saying secure mobile platforms will be highly required/requested/used in the next few years. I'll dig it up when I get a chance. The main thing is, with NFC still in nascent stages and expected to grow tremendously over a 3-5 year period, mobile device security will become important and eventually taken for granted. By this time, the BB10 platform will be mature enough.
    11-08-12 01:20 PM
    No one? 80 million feel different.

Are you sure you can back that up? I know plenty people that value their security and privacy. Maybe you mean the majority doesn't care and I'm not part of that.
    So you are saying everyone that has a BB bought it because of the security?
    Blacklatino likes this.
    11-08-12 01:26 PM
    Once people are able to pay for things online with their PCs, I am sure that PC security will become an important factor for general consumers.
    11-08-12 01:54 PM
    I would beg to differ & think it would be fairly easy for RIM to compete...
    ...All they need to do is insure they have the popular APPS the majority of people want that are on the other devices.
    ...That means Skype and Netflix.

People are fickle - I can remember when everyone was gaga over myspace....
    ...Smething better came along and the individuals investment in MS didn't matter.
    ..."TIME" is a person's biggest asset & I believe RIM will come loaded for bear, this time.

Now, if they don't have Netflix and Skype it will all be for nothing.......
    ...It will only confirm to the masses that they got involved too late and missed the boat.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    11-08-12 02:02 PM
    Well my feeling is that BB10 will not only survive but be a major player not only in the handheld device area but also in automotive intergration. I believe that RIM have already done this in producing BB10.
    sf49ers and dglx3d like this.
    11-08-12 02:07 PM
    I knew it was all rubbish from the second I read "And that's how most other buyers feel, I reckon", but I read the rest anyway.

All of that just to shill for a BB-Android hybrid? No thank you.
    11-08-12 02:23 PM
    I would beg to differ & think it would be fairly easy for RIM to compete...
    ...All they need to do is insure they have the popular APPS the majority of people want that are on the other devices.
    ...That means Skype and Netflix.

People are fickle - I can remember when everyone was gaga over myspace....
    ...Smething better came along and the individuals investment in MS didn't matter.
    ..."TIME" is a person's biggest asset & I believe RIM will come loaded for bear, this time.

Now, if they don't have Netflix and Skype it will all be for nothing.......
    ...It will only confirm to the masses that they got involved too late and missed the boat.
    I wouldn't worry much about Netflix, Sky has already launched a service that gets movies way before Netflix and Lovefilm. As long as the content is there it doesn't matter to the user really.

Skype is important to much more people and I have word that it's coming.
    11-08-12 02:26 PM
    OP you are genius! Why didn't RIM think of that! Bravo and when does your CEO position start?

Oh sorry you're just another forum member with a bad idea. Carry on.
    Actually RIM did think of this, and they considered it very seriously, so obviously they thought it a serious potential alternative. That certainly puts your sarcastic and condescending response in an embarrassing light.
    11-08-12 04:01 PM
    Marketshare in the states not the world. There is so much more to the rest of the world than USA. Only the US media amd retailers seem to be oblivious to what RIM have been doing. And when bb10 takes off it will be the US behind and back pedalling to see the potential.
    I believe it's the other way around. The temporal patterns of deployment and marketshare, suggest that North America leads the trend. It's up to RIM to move developing nations to BB10 before the erosion begins in earnest there. (I noted that quite a long time ago...it's why I think bb10 deployment there should not be delayed.....bb10 won't be a "catchup" there, but can be see as "leading") We won't know the numbers for a while, but it is possible the erosion is starting already in many of those other countries, and I expect the growth of alternatives there to start biting into RIM.
    11-08-12 04:07 PM
    I believe it's the other way around. The temporal patterns of deployment and marketshare, suggest that North America leads the trend. It's up to RIM to move developing nations to BB10 before the erosion begins in earnest there. (I noted that quite a long time ago...it's why I think bb10 deployment there should not be delayed.....bb10 won't be a "catchup" there, but can be see as "leading") We won't know the numbers for a while, but it is possible the erosion is starting already in many of those other countries, and I expect the growth of alternatives there to start biting into RIM.
    without giving specific numbers, i can say the errosion has not started in several of RIM's key markets. i was in indonesia in september. a lot of blackberry there. they arent getting iphones thats forsure, high end androids no. they wont downgrade to dumbphones obviously. low end androids cant have tiered data plans, which are the only reason people can afford data in the first place. i expect bb7 to be growing here for atleast another year or until a low end bb10 phone launch.
    11-08-12 04:24 PM
    snip... (Produce a secure, FIPS certified, unroot able Android phone, for example) ...
    The terms secure, FIPS and unroot don't belong in the same sentence as Android.

The term that best fits in a sentence with Android is malware.
    11-08-12 04:48 PM
    Android and iOS are just plain good enough. There isn't really that much difference between the top tier mobile systems, that one of them is dramatically worse or better than the others. It often just comes down to little idiosyncrasies, whether one prefers widgets or iOS UI, that makes people choose one of the two.

Enter BB10. Is it significantly different from other mobile OSes? Nope... Is it better? Sure it MIGHT be in some ways. Just not dramatically so. And that's RIMs biggest problem. They're launching a mobile OS that don't really offer any dramatic improvement over the competition.

Android and iOS did that. Offered something dramatically better than the competition. And they've split the market between them, since its taken Microsoft, Nokia and RIM over 3-4 years to match their advantage.

But somewhere, deep in RIMs secret R&D vaults, Ill bet you that there is a couple of prototypes of a Blackberry Android phone, don't ya think?
    You may want to clarify if said differences are "significant" and "dramatic" or not. Kind of flip-flops here.

Having said that, it depends on what differences are being considered. In some respects, all platforms are the same, not much difference in what they do. However, they significantly differ in key areas and their user bases gravitate to these differences. It's what makes them special.

FFS how many threads exist with the theme of "mine can do THIS thing and yours can't neener neener your platform sucks"?

I don't see BB10 being a fail. It may not make RIM top dog, but I certainly don't think it'll fail.

9930+Tapatalk
    11-08-12 04:53 PM
    rim should take android so that they can be succesful like htc and lg.
    lol iswydt
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-08-12 05:02 PM
    snip...BB10s gonna take a big chunk out of the top two in NA and will cotinue to dominate in other markets like it already is with BB7. Its got legs and this things a marathon. ...
    Remember this guy?

Why BB10 Will likely fail, and what RIM can do.-d9-20110601-113842-3751-380x285.jpg

You don't wanna be making "marathon" comparisons. Didn't work out too well before.

L�o: In the short term, it�s about putting webOS out there. You�ll see it�s starting to gain some traction. This isn�t about taking Apple head-on. It�s about establishing credibility. Once we are the third alternative, it�s a marathon, not a sprint.

L�o Apotheker, June 1 2011 D9 Conference
    11-08-12 05:02 PM
    I know that BlackBerry is the most secure of phones, but has there been documented cases of iPhones being hacked (particularly those owned by stars/starlets or CEO's) and the contents used for evil purposes? I have friends with Android phones that said they have been hit by viruses and they have anti-virus programs running on their phones (!) Are BlackBerry phones susceptible to viruses? I've owned them for over five years and as far as I can tell I don't think I've ever had any such problem. Maybe this is something that RIM should use in their marketing. I hear posters above saying "most people don't care about security" and I agree, but perhaps they will care if someone brings it to their attention.
    11-08-12 05:33 PM
    No one? 80 million feel different.

Are you sure you can back that up? I know plenty people that value their security and privacy. Maybe you mean the majority doesn't care and I'm not part of that.
    This:
    Nov 2, 2012: IDC: Android Claims 75% of Smartphone Shipments
    Sept. 5, 2012 Business Insider CHART OF THE DAY: Google Is Activating 1.3 Million Android Devices On A Daily Basis

How does that stack up against 80 million?
    11-08-12 05:35 PM
    Seeing as someone quoted BD.

NO ONE CARES ABOUT SECURITY!

The market numbers have proven that security is not a selling point for the majority of buyers. They just don't care. Security will not help RIM gain market share. Sorry, it is what it is. It just doesn't matter except to a handful of people. Apps and Eco-system matter, if RIM can nail that they're in with a chance. Without that they'll be a minor player.

I just read that RIM had a certification on security matters from USA, that means the govemerment will be able to use again the devices for their bussiness, they used to be but were replaced ... So maybe is not always about all of us, they are pointing to all the possible markets.

And yes I care about it too, but I am sure there is a different reason RIM cares about information security.

Actually is part of the forums in here ... BlackBerry 10 Receives FIPS Security Certification Ahead of Launch
    11-08-12 05:51 PM
    You may want to clarify if said differences are "significant" and "dramatic" or not. Kind of flip-flops here.
    k
    It appears as though he was doing a comparison between android and ios in his first statement: the sentence previous strongly suggest that, as does the sentence proceeding it. The later highlight refers to a comparison between the ios/android and it's other earlier competitors.
    11-08-12 06:26 PM
    ANOTHER post advocating that RIM simply become another Android hardware supplier?

*YAWN*

Why BB10 Will likely fail, and what RIM can do.-cat-cute-tongue-yawn.jpg

There is little money to be made in being just another "me too" device maker...
    Snap51 and lorax1284 like this.
    11-08-12 06:30 PM
    To the OP, where did a good chunk of Android and IOS users come from? BB...many people didn't have WP and when WP7 dropped it wasn't getting apps like iOS and Android did, no crazy features, no addictive service like BBM ...here comes BB10 time warp camera/gestures/team-view/world leading browser/ world leading security/keyboard/ multi-language keyboard to name a few oh and BBM Video. They've been great developers, companies that weren't on before getting on the bandwagon. But back to that first sentence i wrote about android and iOS users being previous BB owners, that right there is gonna spark curiosity to see what they're old device maker has now put up when they go in to pay the cell bill or when its time for a upgrade. I talked to two friends today that are on android waiting for it to be released amongst others i see when i search the #BB10 on twitter. Oh, and we have a CMO now!!
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    11-08-12 06:32 PM
197 12345 ...