If BB10 does not meet your needs as your daily driver, there are other options out there. Choice is a wonderful thing. All the best. BlackBerry has done poorly with marketing in the US but I have been quite satisfied with my Z10. My friends and I have compared our iPhone and Samsung phones. What we have discovered is that each ecosystem offers a specific experience. You choose what suits you the best.

Curve 8320, Bold 9780, Bold 9900, PB 64gb, Z10
    07-24-13 07:34 AM
    And to buttress my earlier point

Attachment 185543

This is a Lenovo A820, sold for $133. Nearly $250 cheaper than the Q5.

It is Dual SIM, has a bigger screen (4.5 inches, 960 x 540), runs jellybean, has a faster CPU (mediatek 6789 quad core) and a better GPU (SGX 543). It has a better 8MP camera and has a pretty decent build quality (Lenovo isn't a minor player)

So a customer in Indonesia has the chance to buy a better specced phone which allows him use two SIMs at once, has a FAR better app library and will have BBM in September...for $250 less! Why in the world would the Q5 be more attractive to him? Even with 10.2, the BB10 fragmentation issue and the fact that many sideloaded Android apps will look like pants on that square screen spoils the deal.

And this is just one of many. So when you sneer at 'cheap android phones', it's a good idea to note that those have improved massively since those days of 600mhz devices with 256MB RAM and no GPU.

The combination of the new Verizon Droid devices, Moto X (rumoured to be priced to sell in volume), Galaxy Note III, LG Optimus G2, Galaxy S4 and most importantly the upcoming new iPhone will pretty much doom the Z10/Q10/A10 to lackluster sales in the US and UK. Salvation and numbers lie in bolstering weak high end sales with low and midrange sales to boost marketshare and draw in more developers. If the OS is preventing such a push, why are you not concerned?
    Too bad it will run slower with the hire specs then the Q5. Android is not efficient.
    07-24-13 07:44 AM
    As a very dissapointed and frustrated PB owner I've already heared it again and again that I should just accept that the ubercool new saviour of this company, BB10, requires 2GB of RAM. The "sparrows (CB team & forum members) were already whistling it from the roofs" as we say in Germany and already prepared the path for Thorsten with his excuses: " yes you were right, it was the outdated hardware, bla bla bla and so on"...

While it has been the unquestioned truth for many BBRY defenders in this forum, I wonder how ignorant a fanbase must bee to ignore the fact that a 2GB requirement would successfully block BBRY out of the low entry market! Of course the arguments come that BBRY targets the premium market, etc. but then explain me why...

- BBRY hired Alicia keys...
    - Tries to raise awareness as consumer product not only a business tool
    - releases another BBOS 7 device
    - Runs after consumers in Indonesia where you can't sell your premium devices

All these examples leave a pretty strange picture of the whole BB10 strategy. Fact seems to be that they need to cater the low entry & at least the mid-range market as well and they obviously try to but they FAIL! This articles just explains it very good:

Now many people that are not blinded anymore by all the BB10 buzz (A lot of PB owners had an eye-opening moment in the last weeks) already brought many techically valid arguments that all other mobile OS run perfectly with 1GB. No one doubts that more RAM is always nice, but an OS requiring 2GB stands out and must be named what it is - a clear FAIL to renew this company with a fresh new OS.
    The OP made a couple mistake the first one you referenced bgr. When you refernce a site where they have a bunch of two bit hacks writing cause they aren't qualified to ask you would you like fries with that you loose credibillity.

Second BB10 isn't a mobile phone OS like you reffered to it as.It a mobile computng platform which no other mobile phone company has so your camparing apples and oranges.

I have a question for you what are the specs and the capabilities of the A10? you say it won't be game changer so you abviously have inside infor an BB products so plaese tell us all. FYI i have friends working at BB and they are testing 2 A10's one with snapdragon 800 series chipset and the other a duel core. So please tell us which one they will be releasing? Now you may be right the A10 may not be a game changer but, until its anounced you really don't know.

PS. If you know better go to BB and tell them how its suppose to be done and show them how to do it.
    aminrajabi likes this.
    07-24-13 08:03 AM
    Duh 2GB is better. PlayBook doesn't have it.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 08:05 AM
    Too bad it will run slower with the hire specs then the Q5. Android is not efficient.
    believe it or not, IT WILL.
    07-24-13 08:07 AM
    I'm probably mistaken but.....

1) Doesn't 4.2 require certain specs to run?
    2) Doesn't BBM require 4.2 and above to run on android? (yes)

So potentially not all low-end android handsets will get BBM...
    BBM available for ice cream sandwich device 4.0

the cheapest samsung android device Galaxy young price about $110 run on android 4.1 jelly bean, LG optimus L3 II about $130 run on android 4.1 jelly bean.

so yes BB will lose their emerging market who many only using it for BBM
    07-24-13 08:16 AM
    How does a consumer know this *before* he has purchased the phone? Answer: He/she doesn't so it's irrelevant outside of benchmark nerds even if true. "BB10 is more efficient" is a dead duck with mainstream consumers as selling point, nobody gives a crap.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    07-24-13 08:19 AM
    As far as BBM is concerned for cross platforms. My understanding is that it will be a basic free version. But if you want screen share/vid its extra same with BBM channels which will have ads but only 1 every 1hr kinda thing
    07-24-13 10:18 AM
    BB10 is designed in a way that requires 2 gig of ram. Unless you are a coder, have seen their code and know whats going on its hard to say its bloated. With the just the operating environment running, I never have more then 1.1 gig available. I would suggest the hub is using a good chunk. Could is be further optimized? Probably, but most OS's out of the gate are a little chunky. There choice of 2 gigs was smart, it kept the EXPERIENCE of the device good. Trolling (the fishing term) the forums, most complaints are not about lagging.

Also you have to consider, if they had some alpha code that was doing a lot more (headless apps, more functionality etc) and saw the hardware cycle to be 2 years, slightly over estimating the ram need again is a smart move. Its not like its something you can just add too.
    07-24-13 10:40 AM
    Do you have a source for this? Is extremely unlikely that Blackberry would write BBM exclusively for 4.2. This would put BBM behind all of the other competition right out of the starting gate.
    My mistake, it's for 4.0 and above.
    07-24-13 10:45 AM
    My mistake, it's for 4.0 and above.
    Ok. This means it will run on 61% of all current Android devices and 100% of all new Android phones.
    07-24-13 10:51 AM
    Ok. This means it will run on 61% of all current Android devices and 100% of all new Android phones.
    Yeah, Android, most people will get the cheap one, you know, the one that doesn't require a data plan. So they end up with something like the HTC wildfire or the HTC desire C. Do you guys know how much people come back with those cheap *** phones? Almost 50%!!! And you know why? Because these phones are lacking memory. You download two apps and you can't run **** after since everything is so slow and laggy so yeah, Android for the win guys
    07-24-13 11:03 AM
    I think it's a very good point. It seems to have been the accepted rule that QNX is a very efficient OS, but recent developments have shown quite the contrary.
    It also seems to have been the accepted rule that QNX = BB10. It's not. I'm sure QNX is an extremely efficient OS, but the crap piled on top of it (BB10) isn't.
    07-24-13 11:32 AM
    I wish they'd put 4GB of RAM in the darn thing. One less thing for the "spec race" peeps to complain about.

"Your phone is soo two years ago, it only has 1GB of RAM" THE SHAME!
    07-24-13 11:51 AM
    The OP made a couple mistake the first one you referenced bgr. When you refernce a site where they have a bunch of two bit hacks writing cause they aren't qualified to ask you would you like fries with that you loose credibillity.
    Typical CB argument, don't say what the site says wrong, just bash the author.

Second BB10 isn't a mobile phone OS like you reffered to it as.It a mobile computng platform which no other mobile phone company has so your camparing apples and oranges.
    What are these things it has that other platforms don't? Am I missing something here?

Besides smoke and mirrors. Lots of smoke and mirrors.
    mikeo007 and darkehawke like this.
    07-24-13 11:57 AM
    Originally Posted by BB-04

You're saying that comparing BB10 to their competition, IOS, Android, and Windows, is comparing Apples and Oranges? What a load of nonsense, this is the lamest fanboy argument I've heard yet. Are you able to keep a straight face while typing that?
    07-24-13 12:57 PM
    Who said bb10 is expensive? You can get a z10 for free
    07-24-13 01:15 PM
    It's been made clear before but some people just don't get it.

QNX is the microkernel. OS10 is the userland and its subsystems. QNX's efficiency stemmed from its small size and use in embedded devices. A smartphone requires considerably more functionality than this hence the "bloat" that encompasses OS10. The mere fact that OS10 is deployed on phones with 2GB doesn't mean it's inefficient. The efficiency of OS10 relates to its performance and functionality which as most users will attest is quite fluid and snappy.
    Thanks for pointing that out. However, it's still fair to say that OS10 'requires' 2GB as we were told performance on the PB was unsatisfactory. That means it is fairly inneficient - if it wasn't, the device wouldn't need so much RAM. I believe the OP pointed out that other mobiles OS's run smoothly with considerably less.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 01:31 PM
    Thanks for pointing that out. However, it's still fair to say that OS10 'requires' 2GB as we were told performance on the PB was unsatisfactory. That means it is fairly inneficient - if it wasn't, the device wouldn't need so much RAM. I believe the OP pointed out that other mobiles OS's run smoothly with considerably less.

Posted via CB10
    And it's also the only mobile OS that can run its own native apps and android apps. Removing the Android app support I wonder how much ram would be required then.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    07-24-13 01:49 PM
    Yeah, Android, most people will get the cheap one, you know, the one that doesn't require a data plan. So they end up with something like the HTC wildfire or the HTC desire C. Do you guys know how much people come back with those cheap *** phones? Almost 50%!!! And you know why? Because these phones are lacking memory. You download two apps and you can't run **** after since everything is so slow and laggy so yeah, Android for the win guys
    HTC wildfire?
    Desire C?

You do know we're in 2013, right?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-24-13 01:51 PM
    And it's also the only mobile OS that can run its own native apps and android apps. Removing the Android app support I wonder how much ram would be required then.

The same amount, because it's using desktop multiprocessing paradigms on a mobile device. There's a reason all other mobile OS's have abandoned the "free for all" multiprocessing that BB10 uses. It's a poor, inefficient design when used on devices who's only storage option is NAND flash.
    07-24-13 01:57 PM
    It's been made clear before but some people just don't get it.

QNX is the microkernel. OS10 is the userland and its subsystems. QNX's efficiency stemmed from its small size and use in embedded devices. A smartphone requires considerably more functionality than this hence the "bloat" that encompasses OS10. The mere fact that OS10 is deployed on phones with 2GB doesn't mean it's inefficient. The efficiency of OS10 relates to its performance and functionality which as most users will attest is quite fluid and snappy.
    Very true. BB10 CAN run on less than 2Gb of RAM. It may not be as fast as 2MB or RAM, but a 1GB RAM BB10 device still runs better than some Android devices I have had to deal with.
    Attached Thumbnails Why BB10 is BloatWare-img_00000052.png  
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    07-24-13 02:10 PM
    Very true. BB10 CAN run on less than 2Gb of RAM. It may not be as fast as 2MB or RAM, but a 1GB RAM BB10 device still runs better than some Android devices I have had to deal with.
    Speed has nothing to do with it. Try running a couple of heavier apps and you'll see your active frames start disappearing.
    07-24-13 02:12 PM
    Speed has nothing to do with it. Try running a couple of heavier apps and you'll see your active frames start disappearing.
    Apps like what? Most native apps are well optimized. The only ones that start closing down are android side loaded apps.

07-24-13 02:14 PM
    Apps like what? Most native apps are well optimized. The only ones that start closing down are android side loaded apps.

Like the browser. For example, there's an html5 page where if you run the test to completion, it will not only crash the browser but kill all your open active frames.
    07-24-13 02:17 PM
82 1234