I think he may have been joking. I hope he was joking and not serious.
    Of course it was a joke.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-19 09:17 AM
    BB hardware features were also crap.

While iPhones and Androids not only had apps, but they focused on Lifestyle features and hardware that goes with them such as:

- Better Cameras
    - Better Audio
    - Better Displays (higher resolutions,better calibration etc...)
    - Faster Internal Storage
    - Better SoCs with incredibly powerful GPUs in them
    - Gaming services
    - Better Social Media integration
    - Financial and Health services integration
    - and an overall Ecosystem
    Agree with most of this except for audio.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-19 09:18 AM
    Agree with most of this except for audio.
    Have you listened to any of the LG V-series phones from the last few years? Their DACs are first rate.
    Tsepz_GP and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-19-19 01:24 PM
    Have you listened to any of the LG V-series phones from the last few years? Their DACs are first rate.
    This exactly. Samsung in the early Galaxy S days were also doing a great job until the Galaxy S5, as well as iPhone, but LG are the ones really still pushing.
    10-19-19 02:21 PM
    I agree that the LG phones with the dedicated DAC are best-in-class for built-in audio.

Still, the lack of decent amplification and headphone jacks mean that an outboard DAC and amplifier with wired headphones are pretty much required for decent sound these days. If you're able to deal with the extra gear, you won't be disappointed.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    10-19-19 02:41 PM
    I agree that the LG phones with the dedicated DAC are best-in-class for built-in audio.

Still, the lack of decent amplification and headphone jacks mean that an outboard DAC and amplifier with wired headphones are pretty much required for decent sound these days. If you're able to deal with the extra gear, you won't be disappointed.

I used Sony MDR7506 headphones with the in-built DAC on the LG V20. It sounded great.
    10-19-19 03:18 PM
    I used Sony MDR7506 headphones with the in-built DAC on the LG V20. It sounded great.
    I'm not surprised. That's a great setup compared to what most people use!

I'm just saying that lossless audio through an external DAC and amplifier with those same cans would be better still.
    Laura Knotek and chain13 like this.
    10-19-19 03:50 PM
    I'm just saying that lossless audio through an external DAC and amplifier with those same cans would be better still.
    Of course, but that setup really isn't very mobile-friendly, plus, it would be tough to tell the difference between the setups on a loud commuter train or a bus or on exercise equipment or many of the other places people listen to music the most. You kind of need to be in a quiet room relaxing with your headphones in order to hear the difference - and if you're doing that, you probably don't need a mobile setup in the first place.

I guess what I'm saying is that the need for ultra-great sonics with plenty of amp power in a mobile situation is a pretty small niche. And this is coming from a hard-core audio guy.
    Laura Knotek and chain13 like this.
    10-19-19 05:34 PM
    Of course, but that setup really isn't very mobile-friendly, plus, it would be tough to tell the difference between the setups on a loud commuter train or a bus or on exercise equipment or many of the other places people listen to music the most. You kind of need to be in a quiet room relaxing with your headphones in order to hear the difference - and if you're doing that, you probably don't need a mobile setup in the first place.

I guess what I'm saying is that the need for ultra-great sonics with plenty of amp power in a mobile situation is a pretty small niche. And this is coming from a hard-core audio guy.
    I spend a lot of time listening to music and have three external DACs: one at my desk at home; one at work, and a small one in my bag. I don't use them for streaming or for podcasts, but I do use them with my lossless high resolution files.

But, to your point, a good on-board DAC and decent wired headphones will make a big difference for mp3s and streaming music, as well as video.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-19-19 06:53 PM
    Here we go again....Re-hashing the same old stuff. What if's and what could have's...
    This is what CB has become.
    10-19-19 09:14 PM
    Here we go again....Re-hashing the same old stuff. What if's and what could have's...
    This is what CB has become.
    But, do you get it??? Haha.
    10-19-19 10:42 PM
    I spend a lot of time listening to music and have three external DACs: one at my desk at home; one at work, and a small one in my bag. I don't use them for streaming or for podcasts, but I do use them with my lossless high resolution files.

But, to your point, a good on-board DAC and decent wired headphones will make a big difference for mp3s and streaming music, as well as video.

I do use an external DAC on my desktop PC when listening to FLAC or WAV files using headphones at home.

I don't use an external DAC with headphones when playing FLAC or WAV files on my phone at the gym or on a bus.
    10-19-19 11:04 PM
    I agree with the marketing argument. It has been shown many times that a poor product can gain market traction over a better competing product, when carpet bombing style advertising is used. This is what really happened and the BlackBerry board of directors, at the time, were asleep.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    10-20-19 02:02 AM
    Back in 2012 when I had my Playbook and in 2013 when I has my Z10, I was quite content in using Android apps on those devices.

In 2012 , it might have been possible to offer a forked Android device which is what BlackBerry was. The problem for me as a user was that there was no Android store to acquire the Android apps. By the time the Amazon partnership store came along it was too late to change.

Or put it another way, in 2011, I would have definitely purchased a BlackBerry device that used Android apps.
    10-20-19 06:26 AM
    I agree with the marketing argument. It has been shown many times that a poor product can gain market traction over a better competing product, when carpet bombing style advertising is used. This is what really happened and the BlackBerry board of directors, at the time, were asleep.
    They could have carpet bombed the entire universe and it wouldn’t have changed a thing.
    People had already chosen from the two platforms and a third was not needed or wanted by the majority of smartphone users.
    10-20-19 07:24 AM
    I do use an external DAC on my desktop PC when listening to FLAC or WAV files using headphones at home.

I don't use an external DAC with headphones when playing FLAC or WAV files on my phone at the gym or on a bus.
    I really like Tidal, so there is less need for me to have different content (and different playlists) for casual vs more serious listening.

yes, at the gym or on a plane or something I use BT headphones. But I have found use for a transportable battery powered DAC/amp in my life (and closed back, wired cans). I travel a lot and go to a lot of different offices and it’s nice to have something I can put in the office I’m using for a couple days and also take it back to my hotel at night or use it in a library or cafe or wework
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-20-19 08:56 AM
    All they need to do was more marketing.....
    In the end the iphone proves that. I’m having a 6se, also around are k2le, classic, k1 with shattered screen ( and all repair parts in a box) and i service a lumina 650.

From usage flexibilty point of view and usage pont of view, bb10 runs circles around all others. Simole example, typoos on this text would have been caught as it easily deals with multiple languages used throughout each other.

This iphone has decided this text is dutch, will stop crackberry or any other app to run as it has to tell me its battery is low eg or any other crap message it needs to show me, refused to let lice stream video continue while answering a message, refuses an sd card, has no file system accesable from a laptop, enforces updates and comes with most crappy VKB (aka surrogate keyboard) of them all as a standard.

Still marketing made it cool, gave it status and I eg am stuck with it as a work supplied phone.

Marketing does work. I mean Nike isn’t quality wise excelling above any brand either. Still people pay for it.
    10-20-19 03:59 PM
    In the end the iphone proves that. I’m having a 6se, also around are k2le, classic, k1 with shattered screen ( and all repair parts in a box) and i service a lumina 650.

From usage flexibilty point of view and usage pont of view, bb10 runs circles around all others. Simole example, typoos on this text would have been caught as it easily deals with multiple languages used throughout each other.

This iphone has decided this text is dutch, will stop crackberry or any other app to run as it has to tell me its battery is low eg or any other crap message it needs to show me, refused to let lice stream video continue while answering a message, refuses an sd card, has no file system accesable from a laptop, enforces updates and comes with most crappy VKB (aka surrogate keyboard) of them all as a standard.

Still marketing made it cool, gave it status and I eg am stuck with it as a work supplied phone.

Marketing does work. I mean Nike isn’t quality wise excelling above any brand either. Still people pay for it.
    Sure - a multi-billion campaign over many years.
    10-20-19 11:10 PM
    Sure - a multi-billion campaign over many years.
    Obviously. Good luck to anybody trying today.
    10-21-19 06:33 AM

Maybe if you bought a more current phone.... I'm happier my my iPhone than I was with either of the last Android's I've had. Marketing can only get you so far...
    10-21-19 07:08 AM
    Neither do I. In that context there's so much background noise that you'd need to use noise reduction, which would negate the increase in fidelity anyway. In the gym, on a bus or on a plane,I usually listen to podcasts, radio, or streaming services of some kind, nit my lossless files.

However, I work out of half a dozen offices, and stay in hotels about 25% of the time, so I always have an external DAC with me, which I use for both my laptop and KEYone.

10-21-19 08:54 AM
    Maybe if you bought a more current phone.... I'm happier my my iPhone than I was with either of the last Android's I've had. Marketing can only get you so far...
    Ask my company.:-) Now having said that. What a newer iphone has solved in the items i mention? Zero if i’m not mistaken. Sure it will be faster than the 6se. And hey, maybe this time they packed a decent battery. SD card? Proper file system?
    10-22-19 09:53 AM
47 12