I posted this in an Instagram thread, but felt like it belongs in its own thread:

I dont think app support will be a major issue with BB10 as the users will be there. This is not a secondary device, like the playbook- its a primary device that folks are genuinely waiting for. Netflix and Skype could never come to BB phones bc of the OS limitations, lack of screen real estate and a second camera support (skype specific). Is it possible that instagram didn't make an app for the 9900 bc of the POS camera? I think it is very much possible. What good is a camera app when the hardware on the device doesnt even have autofocus!

Of the 80M users, even if 25% of users upgrade to the L-series, and then another 10% upgrade to the N-series, that is almost 30M devices sold. That is a lot of users on a brand new platform (way more than the PlayBook thats for sure). With the success of BB10 on phones, it will bring popularity to the PlayBook- as folks will finally realize the true capabilities of BB10.

After the initial success of the L and N series, I think this then opens the door for RIM to unleash their true 'super smartphone', the A-series. Lets be honest, anyone who wants BB10 (folks who are already BB users), will buy one early on (within the first months of launch). These folks will be your marketers on the ground. So when the A-series launches around the time of the iPhone, folks will be hard pressed to not at least give this device a shot. Especially with the impressive hardware that it has rumored to have. Legacy BB users will be upset by this strategy, but I think it has proved that we are loyal and will stick around through thick and thin. We will wait for the second A-series device in a few years and be happy with our support for RIM. Black is definitely back.
    12-14-12 09:06 AM
    I'm not upset because I can buy L now and A later...
    12-14-12 09:17 AM
    I'm not upset because I can buy L now and A later...
    I feel like i could sell the L now and buy the A later as well, but not everyone is on the same boat. around the forums it looks like there are some people genuinely upset for some reason. reminds me of the chappelle skit "He tried to kill my faaaaatha" lol
    12-14-12 09:22 AM
    I think fans are more frustrated than upset.

It is slightly annoying knowing a better phone could potentially be released within the same calendar year as the L-Series, but it certainly won't stop me from being the first in line whenever that glorious day comes.
    12-14-12 09:26 AM
    I feel like i could sell the L now and buy the A later as well, but not everyone is on the same boat. around the forums it looks like there are some people genuinely upset for some reason. reminds me of the chappelle skit "He tried to kill my faaaaatha" lol
    Its electronics technology. If people are upset there's a new one in the pipeline they should find a new hobby. If its not a hobby then why be upset if the L meets your needs
    12-14-12 09:28 AM
    It is slightly annoying knowing a better phone could potentially be released within the same calendar year as the L-Series
    What? RIM releasing newer, better hardware? You mean like every other manufacturer in this fast paced industry?
    12-14-12 09:29 AM
    Fecking ell gimme something!!! Don't care l n or a. Just release it ffs. So tired of waiting
    Saiga likes this.
    12-14-12 09:33 AM
    Tech is supplanted with something that is bigger, better, faster immediately after launch. Goes with the territory. Latest and greatest is only so for a ridiculously short time.

Anyone who cries foul if the Aristo comes out later in the year needs to have a reality check.
    kbz1960, mooda, ubizmo and 2 others like this.
    12-14-12 09:35 AM
    It's quite simple. I'm pretty sure aristo will be coming out closer to the end of the year maybe with some low end phones for the Christmas period. From what I've been reading it will more battle the note than anything else. I personally wouldn't want a phone that size. The speed will be awesome but I don't think it will do a bunch of things the last series can't.

People always just want the shinier newer product. I'm just happy rim is getting phones out that will reach different types of people.
    eyhab27 likes this.
    12-14-12 09:39 AM
    What? RIM releasing newer, better hardware? You mean like every other manufacturer in this fast paced industry?
    When does a new Galaxy come out? Every year.

A new Galaxy Note? Every year.

A new(er) iPhone? Every year

So having RIM release a new phone 6 months apart will be slightly frustrating. If it released 2014, different story. There isn't a need to cannibalize your launch product that quickly.
    12-14-12 09:56 AM
    Are you really cannibalizing if your target audience is different? As someone else mentioned, the A will moreso rival the Note. Instead of picking up the A, wouldn't true BB loyalists wait for the second L? It will most likely have similar internals, just a smaller screen and removal battery door...
    12-14-12 10:00 AM
    Its electronics technology. If people are upset there's a new one in the pipeline they should find a new hobby. If its not a hobby then why be upset if the L meets your needs
    Exactly. Why are we even having this discussion? Seems like some people just need something to complain about, haha
    12-14-12 10:06 AM
    Are you really cannibalizing if your target audience is different? As someone else mentioned, the A will moreso rival the Note. Instead of picking up the A, wouldn't true BB loyalists wait for the second L? It will most likely have similar internals, just a smaller screen and removal battery door...
    The anticipated screen size of the A series is 4.7", which is smaller than the S3's 4.8" screen. It's not going rival the Note. If anything, it will rival the S4 once it becomes available in the Spring.
    12-14-12 10:08 AM
    When does a new Galaxy come out? Every year.
    Which Galaxy? They're a 'line' of phones and they come out throughout the year.

Samsung Galaxy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A new Galaxy Note? Every year.
    Again ... a line.

A new(er) iPhone? Every year
    That's a bit more predictable ... a new one comes out, the older two fall to lower segment pricing. However, there are signs that Apple is changing. Witness the short shelf life of iPad (3). Also the iPhone 5S rumours if they come true.

So having RIM release a new phone 6 months apart will be slightly frustrating. If it released 2014, different story.
    How about we wait and see rather than assume dates? Also, there is the concept of segmenting.
    12-14-12 10:49 AM
    This situation is not typical, so it shouldn't be compared to other smartphone models and lines. It has been over a year since BB10 was officially announced, and it has been delayed from its original release date. The main thing now is for the L and N series to do well enough to get BB10 some traction in the market and in the developer world. If all that happens, there will be enough momentum to release a "superphone" (whatever that actually means). If it happens this year, not only should BB loyalists not be upset; they should be thrilled, because this will mean that BB10 is doing well enough to warrant the relatively early release of the A series.
    mooda likes this.
    12-14-12 10:57 AM
    Realistically speaking, the L and N series were meant to be out by now, so logically speaking you would expect there to be a device for Xmas 2013 too and despite the leaks you would think that they would want to get back onto that schedule going forward resulting us seeing another bb10 device after only about 9 months.
    12-14-12 11:26 AM
    The anticipated screen size of the A series is 4.7", which is smaller than the S3's 4.8" screen. It's not going rival the Note. If anything, it will rival the S4 once it becomes available in the Spring.
    Are you really sure that Aristo will exist with the screen size? What about if i told you that Aristo spec is already gone to prototype but the screen size is the same with L series?
    12-14-12 11:35 AM
    Tech is supplanted with something that is bigger, better, faster immediately after launch. Goes with the territory. Latest and greatest is only so for a ridiculously short time.

Anyone who cries foul if the Aristo comes out later in the year needs to have a reality check.
    But Research In Motion only gets one kick at the cat, so to speak, for BlackBerry 10. Making potential users wait for their premium smartphone is a fool's game at this stage of RIM's attempt to re-energize and move towards their vision of a mobile computing platform. If Ford released a high-performance car with an automatic transmission but a significant percentage of their existing customer base prefer a manual transmission for more precise control of the vehicle, would Ford wave its hand at those with a manual transmission preference and say, "You can always buy the automatic transmission model today and upgrade to the manual transmission model when it is released sometime this year, maybe.
    12-14-12 11:40 AM
    If the leaks from months ago are true, and that's if, then the Aritso looks like a different device.... It's another series. Were people mad that a new Bold came out within months of a new Curve or Torch? I can appreciate some of the feelings but I believe they stated that they are going to be releasing 6 products in 2013 so this is just another device. The one true fact is, however, we will not know for sure until January 30th at the earliest. Until then, it's all speculation and people seem to be getting worked up over something that they don't know will or will not happen.
    eyhab27 likes this.
    12-14-12 11:43 AM
    It's apparent that this company simply just can't win with people.

By coming to this site, people make the choice to inform themselves with the products RIM will release in the future that the general public would never know. Sure people would love to have the most powerful device from RIM upon launch but they're releasing a mid ranged device that if priced correctly could appeal to way more consumers than a top tier A series could. It's a simple choice really...if u want the A series, then wait for it...but if u want to have BB10 first, get the L series. It's just a phone people. You're not making a life decision.
    12-14-12 12:15 PM
    I think the biggest problem is there is a leak before an actual device is launched. I5 users are mad a month after they bought their phones the rumored i5s is in the making.

This reminds me of the tour/bold fiasco. 3 days before the tour launched the bold was rumored to have wifi, a trackpad and more memory. I waited an extra 8 months and boy was I glad. All the horror stories I heard with the tour. The bold was what the tour should have been.

Sent from my game boy color
    12-14-12 01:21 PM
    To me it doesnt matter. I will be buying an l series once released and as long as the OS delivers i will also be buying an A series no matter when it comes out. Truthfully the people that know about the A series is small. the number of people that know about bb10 is pretty small to really. Although now that RIM is advertising BB10 that number is growing quite fast as they ramp up for Jan 30th. Sure some people might be peeved that the A series is coming and it might come 6 months after the initial BB10 release but its being blown out of proportion. Is samsung screwing people by releasing the S3 and then a Note 2 shortly after? heck no, they are still probably the 2 best selling android phones out there in fact.
    12-14-12 01:31 PM
    For me buying the A series is a possibility but I'm not in love with that screen size for a phone. I like the OPs numbers, 25% L series and 10% N series as a good gestimate. When the A series comes out there could be healthy demand for a used L or N. The phone looks super smooth so I am guessing it would hold its value.
    12-14-12 01:52 PM
    I'm amazed at people implying the L won't be a premium device. High PPI screen. Dual core S4 processor on the Lisbon/Laguna. Even the London will have an OMAP 4470 which is fairly new processor and performing better than quad core Tegra3 processors. The only thing better than a dual core S4 right now is a quad core S4 and that is in limited production at the moment. Would people pay $700 for an Aristo now or complain that RIM charges too much. I'd like to see RIM announce that they are using the OMAP5430 in the L devices just to watch people's jaws drop and shut up some of the more vocal critics on here.
    12-14-12 02:08 PM