I know there are a lot of threads discussing this but still wanted to pen down my thoughts in case BBRY is listening
    It was really shocking how BB screwed up with their OS when they had such a great chance with BB10 to really come back in the market.
    why did it fail ? one thing that I just couldnt understand was that why did it take them 3 Software releases to bring back speed dialing ? was that feature something that required some complex coding ?
    Why did they screw up with search feature ? search on BBOS was so instantaneous , it was amazing but on BB10 even with all the Ram and processing power it starts off with a lag ? why ? Please improve that in future builds. PLEASE.
    Even now , with QNX at its heart , the software still has so many bugs and issues like texting problems, slow boot up, the battery doesnt charge completely at times , the phone just shuts off. I feel more than anything BBRY should completely take care of all these small but irritating bugs. when will we see a Glitch free phone from BBRY ?
    I feel more than the apps, people were more let down by all this, as to how the software was still so amateur that it even removed some the so useful features of BBOS. Why would it take them 3 software releases to bring custom profiles ? Why not have it from the start ?
    Why did the screw up with the BBM emoticons ? New isn't always better. BBRY please if you are listening . listen to what loyalists want. and make it a glitch free and the fastest OS.
    02-08-14 10:42 AM
    The issue with the features is same issue that webOS had when it replaced Palm OS
    A new operating system built from the ground up and on a very tight deadline means that a lot of features are simply not going to be done. The old OS had years feature creep built into it. And there will be plenty of bugs because it took years to chase down all the bugs from of the other one. So BB10 was never going to have the same feature set as its predecessor. You can be sure that that was never on the table.
    02-08-14 10:51 AM
    I dont have problems you mentioned. No restarts, lag or bugs.

It does start slowish but how often does one let their phone die?

Z30, Q10, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    02-08-14 11:02 AM
    I think they could have shot up their sales by naming their OS simply QNX( it sounds good ) instead of confusing BB10. they've skipped 8 and 9 somewhere in between. That's sad. Also, bbos7 is a very pretty OS, but BIS is the problem. I don't think majority now prefers to pay extra for data compression. And the BBOS7 devices are pretty cheap, but running internet on them is pretty expensive. whereas BB10 is expensive, but running it is cheap(internet wise). Blackberry has indeed messed up big time.
    there's no customer orientation as of now. no target audience. devices which are affordable by young bb fans are pretty heavy on internet plans. And bb10 is very expensive. Also, poor advertising. Half of my friends don't even know what blackberry10 is. and they love to hate it, as they still believe that its a primitive device manufacturer.
    I wish blackberry considers my opinion
    Mecca EL and Sniper535i like this.
    02-08-14 11:15 AM
    I know there are a lot of threads discussing this but still wanted to pen down my thoughts in case BBRY is listening
    It was really shocking how BB screwed up with their OS when they had such a great chance with BB10 to really come back in the market.
    why did it fail ? one thing that I just couldnt understand was that why did it take them 3 Software releases to bring back speed dialing ? was that feature something that required some complex coding ?
    Why did they screw up with search feature ? search on BBOS was so instantaneous , it was amazing but on BB10 even with all the Ram and processing power it starts off with a lag ? why ? Please improve that in future builds. PLEASE.
    Even now , with QNX at its heart , the software still has so many bugs and issues like texting problems, slow boot up, the battery doesnt charge completely at times , the phone just shuts off. I feel more than anything BBRY should completely take care of all these small but irritating bugs. when will we see a Glitch free phone from BBRY ?
    I feel more than the apps, people were more let down by all this, as to how the software was still so amateur that it even removed some the so useful features of BBOS. Why would it take them 3 software releases to bring custom profiles ? Why not have it from the start ?
    Why did the screw up with the BBM emoticons ? New isn't always better. BBRY please if you are listening . listen to what loyalists want. and make it a glitch free and the fastest OS.
    Those are way down on the reasons why BB10 has not taken off. With Samsung and Apple dominating the smartphone market, BlackBerry had to do something really special to break into this duopoly. Failures in marketing, apps and carrier support ensured it's failure.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-08-14 11:23 AM
    I completely skipped OS7 because of battery life and camera. OS7 was just yet another extension of the existing OS with all of the flaws inherent in the underlying framework. I'll take the 'bugs' on my Q10 any day over the constant memory leaks, need to reboot/pull battery, spinning clock, lack of LTE, and crashes any day of the week! BB10 is a new OS into which BB is slowly introducing popular old functionality as well as some pretty cool new stuff. It's yet to be seen if they can find a proper niche and regain traction, but that's a corporate problem that, in my mind, does nothing to diminish how enjoyable the BB10 experience is to me! Different strokes for different folks, but, personally, I'm thrilled with the functionality and usability of my Q10 as a daily driver. BB has not failed. They've certainly stumbled quite a bit. But as long as my phone works and the essential BB services are available, I'm happy.
    kbz1960, Q10Bold, CHIP72 and 3 others like this.
    02-08-14 11:47 AM
    The doors are still open and they are still in business. They have not failed, yet.
    02-08-14 11:57 AM
    The doors are still open and they are still in business. They have not failed, yet.
    02-08-14 12:05 PM
    Failures in marketing, apps and carrier support ensured it's failure.
    These are the main reasons why it didn't take off. Not what OP wrote down. SMH

Posted via CB10
    Nharzhool, brout and KemKev like this.
    02-08-14 12:10 PM
    A lot of the issues blackberry has suffered with come down to management, and lack thereof. Behind the scenes it has been a directionless mess and it took way longer than anticipated for bb10 to get to the market. Bb is behind the curve.

That said, there is now another new CEO: perhaps he can do what the previous "new saviour" was unable to do, and galvanise and revitalise bb. BLACKBERRY have great products but they need to do more to let people know what's what. Perhaps Chen can do what Heins couldn't: make blackberry relevant in an increasingly disinterested market space.

Windows Phone has been out for a while and the OS is WAY behind bb10 in terms of features, usable business orientated features. That said, it is selling better. Why? Marketing? Gorgeous handsets? Pricing? I don't know. I just know that as good an experience one may have on WP8, i always feel that bb10 has the edge. But i seem to be in the minority - as are we all.

I hope this will change, as MS are pushing for greater feature parity, and they are doing everything they can to address the "app gap" and it is working for them.

This is another new start. I hope it works out better with this new chap in charge.

Sent from Tapatalk
    02-08-14 12:12 PM
    OP, do you honestly think that building a totally brand new platform OS is a simple task? Did you expect the platform to be perfect at launch? And who said BB has failed because the last time I checked, BBRY stocks are still trading.
    The BB10 OS is just a 1yr old and is no different from any other new thing with its "growing pains". It would be understandable if you are pointing out bugs, mistakes or areas that need improvements, but be real! Your title "Why BB failed" sounds absolute. SMH.
    02-08-14 12:25 PM
    Because they did not hire me as CEO.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-08-14 12:30 PM
    An OS which wasn't finished just like the playbook. It worked but didn't work well. Missing features legacy devices had, and lack of marketing. Also the ecosystem was poor compared to the big dogs. Most users didn't know about side loading and couldn't be bothered..

The first two killed it.
    ssinghb and JeepBB like this.
    02-08-14 12:31 PM
    I think they could have shot up their sales by naming their OS simply QNX( it sounds good ) instead of confusing BB10. they've skipped 8 and 9 somewhere in between. That's sad. Also, bbos7 is a very pretty OS, but BIS is the problem. I don't think majority now prefers to pay extra for data compression. And the BBOS7 devices are pretty cheap, but running internet on them is pretty expensive. whereas BB10 is expensive, but running it is cheap(internet wise). Blackberry has indeed messed up big time.
    there's no customer orientation as of now. no target audience. devices which are affordable by young bb fans are pretty heavy on internet plans. And bb10 is very expensive. Also, poor advertising. Half of my friends don't even know what blackberry10 is. and they love to hate it, as they still believe that its a primitive device manufacturer.
    I wish blackberry considers my opinion
    Well the problem with them just naming it QNX is that it's not composed of only QNX. QNX is its embedded software, BB10 is its OS plus you still have to broadband. Also BlackBerry does have a target audience. Those are people who believe in security & privacy, like tactile physical keyboards, and are social businessmen or women. The only thing lacking is the proper marketing and now with new XOs in office that will start to change. In the case of pricing, the Jakarta should fix that problem since the Q5 wasn't the device to sale cheap but to sale to the younger market.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 12:37 PM
    Not dead yet....just starting to take a life of its own. 10.2.1 is an awesome upgrade and better things ahead. the things the OP complained about, well I don't share those issues at all. Z30 is the way to go.

Posted via CB10
    acovey and ssinghb like this.
    02-08-14 12:37 PM
    These are the main reasons why it didn't take off. Not what OP wrote down. SMH

Posted via CB10
    They have failed due to almost nonexistent marketing...pure and simple.

And Chen is doing nothing about it either.

Very sad... I'm going to miss my BlackBerry and will keep it as long as I can.. but it will be soon over.

You can't succeed when nobody knows about ya...

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    02-08-14 12:42 PM
    I've used BlackBerry since before the first cellular BlackBerry.

They just grafted on a keyboard to the OS10 touch-screen BlackBerry, leaving behind the trackpad and all of the polished up tweaks of BBOS.

Just as an example, I have over 5800 contacts...I'm not going to go to a Q10 when there are no Categories in the address book, and a bunch of other omissions, the trackpad loss hurting me most of all.

With a new OS, BB10, and the computing power that the OS10 devices have, it would have been possible to add:
    • a protocol conversion layer
    • then bring the BBOS user interface (with its keyboard shortcuts) over to a keyboard + trackpad OS10 device (this software is directly available from the 9900...doesn't have to be written from scratch)
    • the Android app function
    • Balance, to keep personal and enterprise separate
    • Hub option -- let user select it or not
    • the other useful stuff from OS10, such as microHDMI port,...

I purchased a used Bold 9900 as a backup to my old 9900. I have a used Q10, but just for keeping up -- thanks to the 'leaked' versions on CrackBerry !!! But my device in use will be a Bold for quite a while, I believe.

There's an interesting thread (103 pages long) on the BlackBerry Community Forum,

Glad to see all the comments.

George_B
    Last edited by George_B; 02-08-14 at 01:19 PM. Reason: add minor comment
    Davidro1 and xanadome like this.
    02-08-14 01:15 PM
    I've used BlackBerry since before the first cellular BlackBerry.

They just grafted on a keyboard to the OS10 touch-screen BlackBerry, leaving behind the trackpad and all of the polished up tweaks of BBOS.

Just as an example, I have over 5800 contacts...I'm not going to go to a Q10 when there are no Categories in the address book, and a bunch of other omissions, the trackpad loss hurting me most of all.

With a new OS, BB10, and the computing power that the OS10 devices have, it would have been possible to add:
    • a protocol conversion layer
    • then bring the BBOS user interface (with its keyboard shortcuts) over to a keyboard + trackpad OS10 device (this software is directly available from the 9900...doesn't have to be written from scratch)
    • the Android app function
    • Balance, to keep personal and enterprise separate
    • Hub option -- let user select it or not
    • the other useful stuff from OS10, such as microHDMI port,...

I purchased a used Bold 9900 as a backup to my old 9900. I have a used Q10, but just for keeping up -- thanks to the 'leaked' versions on CrackBerry !!! But my device in use will be a Bold for quite a while, I believe.

There's an interesting thread (103 pages long) on the BlackBerry Community Forum,

Glad to see all the comments.

George_B
    Hope OS 10.3 will be sufficient to bring you on board the BB10 Train.
    02-08-14 01:57 PM
    They have failed due to almost nonexistent marketing...pure and simple.

And Chen is doing nothing about it either.

Very sad... I'm going to miss my BlackBerry and will keep it as long as I can.. but it will be soon over.

You can't succeed when nobody knows about ya...

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    What do you want Chen to advertise? The year old Z10 and Q10? Maybe the Z30, but I don't see the need for it. Hopefully he'll show some good ads for the future BlackBerry 10 phones

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    02-08-14 01:59 PM
    my 2 cents is... bb didn't fail.. there where a few issues with the launch that if avoided might have gone better...you can tell the os was not completely ready but they couldn't delay anymore...that hurt them...they original delay hurt them... if they had launch back in sept 2012. would people be saying z10 looks like iphone 5.. no because z10 would have been first..any who....

i think the problem bb faces is that no one knows about bb10 the commercials are so vague that its hard to see what its like.. if i had not have been looking for a tablet i would have never found crackberry and found out about bb10..

another problem they have is that people don't understand, this is a brand new os..they wanted 10.9.9.999 build right out of the gate...and don't understand why they can't have it...think windos 95 how crappy was that? it took years to polish bring features..ios 1 was crappy and laggy and full of holes...7 os updates later..it still sucks..

i have never had any of the issues the op has..but reading alot of the problems most of them are verizon phones... which could be cause by there bloat wear...

blackberry has a great os and phones... we need to keep the faith, i was just reading about the new phone for summer of 2015... it really needs to be fall of this year but... so be it...to stay some what relevant blackberry needs to release another high end phone by sept...

they should just do 7 devises a year... sept the need to release a high end touch and qwerty, and slider. december mid range touch,qwerty and slider.. and a tablet in there...

now that the os is shaping up great, they need to start advertising.. i know they are going after the enterprise for now and not really concentrating on consumer.. but they don't have to spend a lot of money on it.. let the faithfull do it.... have a competition, best bb10 commercial you win a next gen bb devise..and air them...blackberry is not dead..
    acovey, ssinghb and cman5 like this.
    02-08-14 02:05 PM
    Smh people act as if building a new os is like drawing. Stick figure. With the time constraints, money needs and new ideas, you should be freaking realistic and expect to see some bugs.

I mean I remember people taking about bugs on every apple release. It's always that way. Smh but hey its blackberry so they must be the only one.

The reason they failed is a combination of image and well having nothing special.

The os is beautiful but anyone who hasn't used it wouldn't have a "key feature" to lure them in that doesn't have to do directly with the os as a whole.

For example ip5s finger print scanner was a novel feature at best but it's unique to apple.

Also marketing.. the super bowl ad and every other commercial was ****e. Lots of people don't even know blackberry has touchscreen phones.

Finally people are locked into ecosystems and blackberry is counting specifically only on their phones

Posted via CB10
    brout likes this.
    02-08-14 02:09 PM
    I seriously question how true these are because I've never had any problems and I don't know anyone with BlackBerry 10 who has had any problems. I'm sure there are people (like any phone) who do have problems with it but I'm wonder if it's really as bad as people complain.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 04:12 PM
    I seriously question how true these are because I've never had any problems and I don't know anyone with BlackBerry 10 who has had any problems. I'm sure there are people (like any phone) who do have problems with it but I'm wonder if it's really as bad as people complain.
    Last night, for example, the phone charged until 74% and stayed there. Not dropping or going up, as if 74% was being read internally as the value, the battery should be kept at. I was asleep at the time, so the phone was not in use and should have fully charged.

Re-plugging solved the charging issue.
    Why BB failed-img_20140208_234059.png

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 04:52 PM
    Smh people act as if building a new os is like drawing. Stick figure. With the time constraints, money needs and new ideas, you should be freaking realistic and expect to see some bugs.
    Consumers don't care about WHY. They care about what the phone they buy TODAY, does TODAY. It's not their issue that BB took 6-7 years to answer the iPhone/Android - what they see is that the latest iPhone or Android phone does a ton of things that the BB either can't do or can't do well, and they look at the lack of an ecosystem (no tablet, no wearables, no cloud services, poor media offerings, weak app store), and the decision to bypass BB is easy. Why should they choose BB and give up the things they're used to having on other platforms? The hub? Gestures? These are not going to be enough.

No one cared WHY a Yugo car was crappy, they just knew that it was crappy, and so Yugo sold very few despite the low price. Very few cared that it was Yugoslavia's first car export, or that they didn't have 80 years of experience building cars. They had to compete against the cars of the day, and if they couldn't compete, then they failed in the market.

Most consumers aren't brand-loyal, because they know the companies have no particular loyalty to them either. They buy the product that gives them the best bang for their buck, and meets their needs and desires the best. WHY it does that, or doesn't, isn't their problem or their concern.
    02-08-14 04:57 PM
    Consumers don't care about WHY. They care about what the phone they buy TODAY, does TODAY. It's not their issue that BB took 6-7 years to answer the iPhone/Android - what they see is that the latest iPhone or Android phone does a ton of things that the BB either can't do or can't do well, and they look at the lack of an ecosystem (no tablet, no wearables, no cloud services, poor media offerings, weak app store), and the decision to bypass BB is easy. Why should they choose BB and give up the things they're used to having on other platforms? The hub? Gestures? These are not going to be enough.

No one cared WHY a Yugo car was crappy, they just knew that it was crappy, and so Yugo sold very few despite the low price. Very few cared that it was Yugoslavia's first car export, or that they didn't have 80 years of experience building cars. They had to compete against the cars of the day, and if they couldn't compete, then they failed in the market.

Most consumers aren't brand-loyal, because they know the companies have no particular loyalty to them either. They buy the product that gives them the best bang for their buck, and meets their needs and desires the best. WHY it does that, or doesn't, isn't their problem or their concern.
    That is true and everyone BB including has to understand that, if you don't want to deal with deadlines and time constraints, shouldn't be sitting on your a** for years waiting for competition to eat you, but innovating and being one step ahead, especially since you're in Hi-Tech field where one moth is like one year in other fields.
    02-08-14 05:07 PM
101 123 ...