So I am trying out an iphone. Had it for about 24 hours now. My data usage is 190mb incoming, 16.4mb outgoing.

My last bill showed 250MB of data used on my blackberry bold.

What does this show? I pay $30 for 190 per day, thats around 6 gigs of data per month. And I was paying $30 for 250MB per month. Mind you my blackberry was used heavily everyday. Kind of unfair, dont you think?
    11-09-09 05:46 PM
    No, it's a smartphone. That is the normal cost for a data plan on all of the big carriers. If they lowered it that would be great, but they would need to lower the data plans for every other smartphone and I don't see that happening.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-09 05:53 PM
    So I am trying out an iphone. Had it for about 24 hours now. My data usage is 190mb incoming, 16.4mb outgoing.

My last bill showed 250MB of data used on my blackberry bold.

What does this show? I pay $30 for 190 per day, thats around 6 gigs of data per month. And I was paying $30 for 250MB per month. Mind you my blackberry was used heavily everyday. Kind of unfair, dont you think?
    Not at all unfair. Just because you're going by your usage doesn't mean it's
    the same for other users. iPhone or Blackberry.
    11-09-09 06:03 PM
    What? You're not paying $30 for unlimited data? What planet do you live on?

11-09-09 06:08 PM
    How much data did you use the first day on a blackberry? It isn't a fair comparison. The first day with a phone is spent downloading crap to get it where you want it, using the novelty factor. How long did you have the bb for? Compare your iphone usage after that same amount of time, and then complain.

11-09-09 06:11 PM
    I honestly don't understand the complaint. Unlimited data plans cost $30, so why bother analyzing the amount used if he's not tethering with the phones? If he was, then I would understand, especially if he's going over on the 5gig ghost cap.

11-09-09 06:30 PM
    16.4mb outgoing ...
    Wow, that is more then a couple random clicks.
    11-09-09 07:06 PM
    Geez I didnt think i was going to get flamed so much for complaining about a phone company monopoly.

What could one possibly do on a blackberry to even get remotely close to that amount of data? The "apps" in the app store are usually under 2MB, there is no native itunes app on the BB, the internet browser loads compressed pages, in the end, the blackberry TENDS to use less data than the iphone.

One could make the argument that SOME users use more data on blackberry than iphone, but then why would the at&t network be boggled down with all the iphone users?

Point is that I am complaining about the hypocrisy of the "unlimited" data plan, where one phone is meant to use it to the fullest, while another one is virtually incapable of using it as much. I know the prices wont change, but just point it out...
    11-09-09 07:46 PM
    So according to you BIS plan prices should only account for the possible amount of data incoming and outgoing?

I'm pretty sure that's not simply what BIS boils down to...

So then say you're using a server-based browser like Opera Mini on any OS. Technically you're getting ripped off because you can't possibly utilize the same amount of bandwidth with the same usage?
    11-09-09 07:51 PM
    I see what you're saying.

11-09-09 07:52 PM
    At&t should lower their prices just to compete with VZ. I have vz and the storm 1. I am alright with my contract. but my storm 1 is full of bugs, glitches, freezing. The typical storm problems. Vz has tried to help me with the phone and I am thankful. But I am still paying too much considering the limited use I get and all the software issues the storm has. Also, Apple is in talks with vz about an iphone contract? Not any word of any time soon. But the rumors are on yahoo and over the stock market world. A newly renovated iphone in the future and vz's service could destroy At&t. A good thing. i am a T shareholder and the stock is pure junk, imo. I hope to break even and for T to fall like the ways of sprint.
    11-09-09 08:18 PM
    The Verizon BB personal plans cost more... Why would they have to lower the prices to compete?
    11-09-09 08:19 PM
    Sprint Commercial just showed family plans are now $42.99 per line as a Simply Everything Plan. INSANE!
    11-09-09 09:23 PM
    At&t should lower their prices just to compete with VZ. I have vz and the storm 1. I am alright with my contract. but my storm 1 is full of bugs, glitches, freezing. The typical storm problems. Vz has tried to help me with the phone and I am thankful. But I am still paying too much considering the limited use I get and all the software issues the storm has. Also, Apple is in talks with vz about an iphone contract? Not any word of any time soon. But the rumors are on yahoo and over the stock market world. A newly renovated iphone in the future and vz's service could destroy At&t. A good thing. i am a T shareholder and the stock is pure junk, imo. I hope to break even and for T to fall like the ways of sprint.
    Lower to compete? The data plan prices are the same. Of course we would all like data to be cheaper, but the prices are what they are. Unless you wanted a inferior data network like tmobile and pay dirt cheap for data, then you are at liberty to switch. I did see something about the possibility of tiered data plan e.g. 15 bucks for 250 MB or something. So we'll see how that works out.
    11-09-09 09:33 PM
    Sprint Commercial just showed family plans are now $42.99 per line as a Simply Everything Plan. INSANE!
    Do you know how many customers Sprint has lost in the past 5 years? They have to price cheap to keep from going bankrupt or getting bought. Their devices stink, customer service is awful and they need to do anything to get customers.
    11-09-09 09:35 PM
    The reps should have offered the unlimited data plan to you to begin with.
    11-09-09 10:14 PM
    So according to you BIS plan prices should only account for the possible amount of data incoming and outgoing?

I'm pretty sure that's not simply what BIS boils down to...

So then say you're using a server-based browser like Opera Mini on any OS. Technically you're getting ripped off because you can't possibly utilize the same amount of bandwidth with the same usage?

I'm not sure I understand you. iPhone users get the best of the AT&T network because they use the most data "in theory". Yet we all pay the same price. However the iPhone community is using so much bandwidth it is hurting the bb community b bottlenecking the network. My opinion (don't flame me) is that we as bb users should get lower rates because we don't use that much bandwidth. I know it wont happen but it's worth a mention...
    11-09-09 11:16 PM
    Any OS that doesn't use data compression (basically all of the other ones) and any phone that comes bundled with browser that encourage media streaming or visiting a lot of non-wap sites use far more data than BB's.

So is the plan to punish all OSes, since the iphone shouldn't be singled out? If not, you're basically assuming charging more simply because of the iphone's popularity....

Not to mention you're assuming AT&T's network issues are primarily because of the iphone... How do you prove that as a basis for suggesting other AT&T customers should pay more than you?
    11-10-09 01:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD