According to The Globe and Mail (I cant post the URL) blame the iPhone; and maybe a little AT&T. I've copied the story here. (Sorry if thats a problem)

It looks as though BlackBerry enthusiasts in the U.S. have yet another reason to hate the iPhone.

Research In Motion Ltd.'s BlackBerry Bold has yet to launch with its exclusive U.S. carrier and it appears that Apple Inc.'s latest iPhone may be the reason why.

Even though the Bold is available in more than a dozen countries, AT&T Inc. has yet to offer the device in the U.S. because iPhone data traffic is clogging the telecom giant's networks, according to analysts.

Both devices use the same next generation (3G) network technology, but it now appears AT&T wasn't prepared for the bandwidth-hogging Apple device and doesn't have the resources to launch the Bold until it cures its iPhone issues.

One reason is that the iPhone lacks the data compression technology that is a hallmark of RIM's BlackBerry devices.

"AT&T really relied upon RIM for its data network management," Canaccord Adams analyst Peter Misek wrote in a note to clients this week. "Recall that RIM manages virtually all of the data traffic for its carriers globally ... AT&T in our view was spoiled by the fact that RIM essentially shielded the carrier from the full burden on the network."

Also, whereas BlackBerry data traffic is channelled through RIM's servers, the iPhone utilizes a "ping-pong" technology which must constantly access AT&T's network in order to receive data and e-mails, placing a great strain on the telecom company's cellular infrastructure. "We believe that AT&T is now realizing that it can have up to 20 BlackBerrys for every iPhone on its network," Mr. Misek said. AT&T will need to spend as much as $1-billion (U.S.) to repair its network, he added.

The Bold launched in Canada with Rogers Wireless Communications Inc. on Aug. 21.

RIM co-chief executive officer Jim Balsillie told a wireless industry conference last week that he expects the Bold will be available in the U.S. through AT&T in October.

AT&T's wireless business did not respond to requests for comment. RIM (TSX) rose $3.03 (Canadian) to $107.63. ATT (NYSE) fell 27 cents to $24.65. Matt Hartley

I think it makes sense...though how AT&T could miss that kind of an issue is beyond me.
    09-18-08 09:46 AM
    Well the bold has been pushed back to NOVEMBER! BTW
    09-18-08 10:05 AM
    i wouldnt listen to newspapers or anything at this point, just understand that we wont release a phone with problems...rogers released it and a lot of people were having memory problems and 3g issues....just be patient like i tell everyone it will be out sooner than you think and as for November, that's as true as big foot
    09-18-08 10:07 AM
    I think its hilarious.... I called issues with the iphone hogging bandwidth when they first started advertising it.... Iphone sucks just like att, they're perfect for each other.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-08 10:09 AM
    It is what it is!
    09-18-08 10:37 AM
    i really dont care when it comes out, i mean i do wish it would be sooner than later but i do want the bold to be able to work correctly
    09-18-08 06:42 PM
    Makes sense to me also. Really unfortunate that Job's gizzmo may have delayed release of the Bold. Sounds like it may affect the Bold's performance on the 3g network for a while after release?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-08 06:49 PM
    Wow, 1 iphone = 20 Bold in data usage? But there are more BB users out there. That will put much more strain on the network once the Bold is launched (likely in Oct). I believe they can still handle that pretty well given the fact that there are already so many 3G devices out there.
    09-19-08 01:22 PM
    i really dont care when it comes out, i mean i do wish it would be sooner than later but i do want the bold to be able to work correctly

lmao

that was mature. too often have we seen "wwwwhhhhheeeeerrrrrreeeee izzzzzzzz myyyyyyyyy BBBBBBBOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDD???????????"

just my $0.02
    09-19-08 02:43 PM
    Ok then why cant RIM launch the Bold with Verizon? Who cares about the storm, I like BUTTONS!
    09-19-08 08:28 PM
    The Bold cannot launch on Verizon right now because VZW does not have 3G service
    09-19-08 09:25 PM
    Ok then why cant RIM launch the Bold with Verizon? Who cares about the storm, I like BUTTONS!
    Currently the bold is only available world wide as a GSM device. Verizon's network, as well as Sprint's, is CDMA. Oh how I wish they would release a CDMA variation ASAP. If the delayed release of the bold really is due to issues with AT&T's network, then I wonder if & how that would effect the exclusivity deal between RIM & AT&T? If AT&T can't deliver, why would RIM just sit back & wait for them to get it together? Just thinking out loud as I sip my Heineken.
    09-19-08 09:28 PM
    Well the bold has been pushed back to NOVEMBER! BTW
    Please tell me that is not the official word from AT&T, King Cut.
    09-19-08 10:00 PM
    The Bold cannot launch on Verizon right now because VZW does not have 3G service
    that is so incorrect. evdo..?
    09-20-08 12:15 AM
    Please tell me that is not the official word from AT&T, King Cut.
    No official word. It was seen on a document for At&t for a ETA date for November so we'll see. Just sit back and grab a Heinekin with Mic Tech and see how it plays out.
    09-20-08 12:36 AM
    LMAO! Comments like these are so hilarious! Either you are completely clueless, or you are very comical. Which one is it?
    09-20-08 09:36 AM
    Well, I recall a post from CX(on 09/08) that mentioned at&t expanding and upgrading their network in the near future due to the 3G network.

His post:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/t-internal-plans-fix-network-70128/
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 09-21-08 at 02:28 PM.
    09-21-08 09:39 AM
    i wouldnt listen to newspapers or anything at this point, just understand that we wont release a phone with problems
    Wow! It's such a relief to know that all the news reports about iPhone problems aren't true.
    09-21-08 12:03 PM
    Wow! It's such a relief to know that all the news reports about iPhone problems aren't true.
    i thought those problems were due to apple, not at&t
    09-21-08 12:16 PM
    i thought those problems were due to apple, not at&t
    No, no. Scots11 said that ATT won't release the Bold because it has problems. By inference, they wouldn't have released the iPhone if it had problems.

So, ATT must have released the iPhone despite its problems, or the problems were ATT's to begin with.
    09-21-08 02:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD