with corp discounts, VZW had/has plans that are not terrible. I was down to $60 a month on my unlimited plan with the discounts. They have the best coverage too. So I certainly understand being with VZW.
    21stNow likes this.
    04-04-14 09:55 PM
    BlackBerry did buy one get one deals when they were on top too. It helps to rule the roost and be flush with cash and market share.

Posted via CB10
    Yep. In fact when I bought my Tour in 2009 I was just going to buy one. My wife was with me and when they mentioned I could get a second free I bought one for her as well.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    04-04-14 10:09 PM
    Whats new with this? Samsung has always(if not, then mostly) offers this deal when their new devices comes out.
    04-04-14 11:12 PM
    Correction, its not two android phones. Its two top of the line Android phones and one top of the line windows phone (Ativ SE 1080p s800)
    All are new, both Samsungs are yet to come out even. All have more apps(native) than BlackBerry and better specs. The ATIV SE soft keyboard is the fastest (or will be when 8.1 rolls out), so there is really no reason to offer anything else.
    Also, did you notice that Verizon has begun to offer more and more exclusive top of the line Windows Phones ( Icon and Ativ). While WP isn't at high market share in the US, the fact that Verizon is requesting new hardware speaks volumes vs BB
    04-05-14 01:15 AM
    With all those Z10's marked down BlackBerry should have done a deal like that,
    04-05-14 05:55 AM
    With all those Z10's marked down BlackBerry should have done a deal like that,
    For the record, they did.

it was met with so much of hostility by the as usual BlackBerry-despising trolls.

I recall a few threads about it, give and take 1-2 left if merged, and yes... many posts were removed, but it was hostile.

another company does this, and... people praise it (in this thread) like a god-sent messiah's commandment to follow happily.
    04-05-14 07:16 AM

it was met with so much of hostility by the as usual BlackBerry-despising trolls.

I recall a few threads about it, give and take 1-2 left if merged, and yes... many posts were removed, but it was hostile.

another company does this, and... people praise it (in this thread) like a god-sent messiah's commandment to follow happily.
    It's all about perception I guess. When the market leader, who has no problem selling merchandise, does it... it looks like they are strong arming their way into further dominance. When a faltering player, who can't sell devices, does it... it looks desperate.

Can you really blame the trolls though?

Posted via CB10
    Irish Blues likes this.
    04-05-14 08:26 AM
    It's all about perception I guess. When the market leader, who has no problem selling merchandise, does it... it looks like they are strong arming their way into further dominance. When a faltering player, who can't sell devices, does it... it looks desperate.

Can you really blame the trolls though?

If you are using the correct definition of troll: they deserve no sympathy whatsoever.

Incorrect definition of troll: "Someone who disagrees with me"

Correct definition of troll: "People who consistently post inflammatory material on public boards for the primary purpose of stirring up controversy and attention, often negative attention."
    Irish Blues likes this.
    04-05-14 09:08 AM
    If you are using the correct definition of troll: they deserve no sympathy whatsoever.

Incorrect definition of troll: "Someone who disagrees with me"

Correct definition of troll: "People who consistently post inflammatory material on public boards for the primary purpose of stirring up controversy and attention, often negative attention."
    It was in direct reference to badiyee's quote, and more particularly the, uhh, 'hostile participants' of the threads that bashed BlackBerry for bundling the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 09:22 AM
    Sure,.. it still requires 2-year activation/device but still... talk about aggressive.

Attachment 260794

Attachment 260792
    What would be the average selling price for that promotion? (600/2) = 300 - maybe verizon is giving some of the data money

(199/2) = about 100 dollars which per device is around 500 bucks = they are losing 199 for one device
    04-05-14 10:40 AM
    but real outcome, pertinent to CrackBerry, is that one individual's desire to get a new android device, results in two users locked in to the Android ecosystem for another two years.
    or Windows phone which is not android but also not blackberry so the topic title being some kind of pro-android "those android device vendors sure know how to incentivise those android handset purchasers" loses a bit of impact when it's a) buy one at an unknown price (probably $300) on a two year term and get another device free but also on an unknown cost 2 year term (both contracts probably at least $70 per month if not more) and b) it's not only Android, you can get another Samsung device running WP which is not android.

This is less about Android and more about the #1 phone in the world, the Samsung Galaxy Flagship (which is the S4 now or the S5 in 2 weeks) being offered on a buy one get another one half off. And it's less about Android than it is "not BlackBerry" because there is a WP device on offer too.

...but the fact is the contracts are very lucrative for the carriers and free devices on contract doesn't impress me all that much because the upside for the carrier is significant.

The title of the topic should be something like "Best deal so far on new Galaxy S5 if you need two devices on contract." which Version wouldn't be doing at all if they weren't positive they could do it and be profitable, which just means they're not being as competitive as they could be on their rate plans.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 04-05-14 at 11:48 AM.
    Omnitech likes this.
    04-05-14 11:32 AM
    Frankly I didn't even know what the third device was... figured it was some other random Android phone/tablet that I will never even consider buying.

So I guess my title should have been. "This is why BlackBerry is in the sh*tter. Can't even be given out for "free" along with the best selling Android device line."

Feel free to summon the powers that be to change it.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 11:58 AM
    Frankly I didn't even know what the third device was... figured it was some other random Android phone/tablet that I will never even consider buying.

So I guess my title should have been. "This is why BlackBerry is in the sh*tter. Can't even be given out for "free" along with the best selling Android device line."

Feel free to summon the powers that be to change it.

Posted via CB10
    Samsung ATIV SE official, now up for pre-order at Verizon | Windows Phone Central
    Samsung still makes Windows Phones: ATIV SE up for pre-order at Verizon
    Set Your Location
    Familiarize yourself
    04-05-14 12:34 PM
    there is a causality error: Android does not "rule" because Version decides to do a high-profile promotion with the S5... nor is Version doing the promo because the S5 is an android device.

version is doing this promotion with the second-most anticipated device that will be released this year which happens to run Android and IS SPECIFICALLY The Samsung Galaxy S5.

They have to do it now before people realise that for all intents and purposes it is really a Galaxy S 4.3, not significantly better than the S4 that will soon be free on contract and certainly just a draw with the new HTC One.

This isn't a BlackBerry promo because Android rules... Android doesn't rule because of promos like this... that's all I'm trying to say.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 02:15 PM
    Another point to be considered is that anyone taking this deal will have 2 lines tied up on 2 year contracts when a better phone comes out.
    04-05-14 02:52 PM
    So I guess my title should have been. "This is why BlackBerry is in the sh*tter. Can't even be given out for "free" along with the best selling Android device

Yet you are apparently still desperately looking for an excuse to post a thread that proclaims that BlackBerry is Doomed, DOOOMED, DOOOOOOMED!!

Why do so people have such a compulsion for such things around here?

Don't tell me it's because you're rooting for them, because it defies reason why one would spend so much time promoting threads like this if that is the reason.
    04-05-14 03:37 PM
    there is a causality error: Android does not "rule" because Version decides to do a high-profile promotion with the S5... nor is Version doing the promo because the S5 is an android device.

version is doing this promotion with the second-most anticipated device that will be released this year which happens to run Android and IS SPECIFICALLY The Samsung Galaxy S5.

They have to do it now before people realise that for all intents and purposes it is really a Galaxy S 4.3, not significantly better than the S4 that will soon be free on contract and certainly just a draw with the new HTC One.

This isn't a BlackBerry promo because Android rules... Android doesn't rule because of promos like this... that's all I'm trying to say.

Posted via CB10
    Its a promo of the S4.3(s5), S4.2(Ativ SE) and the HTC One 2 lol
    04-05-14 03:41 PM

Android doesn't rule because of promos like this... that's all I'm trying to say.

Posted via CB10
    It may not have gotten to the top that way, but it sure will continue growing (at the expense of the excluded brand, i.e. BlackBerry) because of promos like this. That was really the point of posting this on CrackBerry, a Blackberry fan site.

I was hoping to discuss the causes and effects of BlackBerry being excluded from promotions like this. Why wouldn't Verizon take advantage of all the upcoming attention the GS5 will receive to push slower moving merchandise like the Z10/Q10 or even the Z30? It's clearly not a Samsung deal, since HTC is included, and clearly not an Android deal, since a Windows Phone is included. Many here claim that "if only people knew" about the new devices, things would be different. Well this is one way to do it. Is it not financially feasible (is the Z30 more expensive to Verizon than the M8)? Did BlackBerry say no? Is the BlackBerry brand really so badly perceived that it would detract GS5 buyers? I don't know... just doesn't seem right as a "partner".

Instead, 40 or so posts have been spent discussing the merits of "tricking" people into signing up for overpriced contracts with marketing gimmicks, or the choice of words of the title.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 03:49 PM
    Android is awesome. So many manufacturers that you can't even name them all.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-05-14 03:50 PM

...the irony
    04-05-14 03:52 PM
    Yet you are apparently still desperately looking for an excuse to post a thread that proclaims that BlackBerry is Doomed, DOOOMED, DOOOOOOMED!!

Why do so people have such a compulsion for such things around here?

Don't tell me it's because you're rooting for them, because it defies reason why one would spend so much time promoting threads like this if that is the reason.
    LMAO

The words of the title were chosen to attract attention. I've spent enough time in the forums to know neutrally-worded titles are the death of any thread. The only thing mine was missing was the seemingly inevitable title typo... my bad.

In any case, I was pointing out the unfairness of such promos that for whatever reason exclude BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 03:55 PM
    It may not have gotten to the top that way, but it sure will continue growing (at the expense of the excluded brand, i.e. BlackBerry) because of promos like this. That was really the point of posting this on CrackBerry, a Blackberry fan site.

I was hoping to discuss the causes and effects of BlackBerry being excluded from promotions like this. Why wouldn't Verizon take advantage of all the upcoming attention the GS5 will receive to push slower moving merchandise like the Z10/Q10 or even the Z30? It's clearly not a Samsung deal, since HTC is included, and clearly not an Android deal, since a Windows Phone is included. Many here claim that "if only people knew" about the new devices, things would be different. Well this is one way to do it. Is it not financially feasible (is the Z30 more expensive to Verizon than the M8)? Did BlackBerry say no? Is the BlackBerry brand really so badly perceived that it would detract GS5 buyers? I don't know... just doesn't seem right as a "partner".

Instead, 40 or so posts have been spent discussing the merits of "tricking" people into signing up for overpriced contracts with marketing gimmicks, or the choice of words of the title.

Posted via CB10
    ....suuuurrrreee...ahm still selling that amazing beach front plot on the moon?
    04-05-14 03:56 PM
    ....suuuurrrreee...ahm still selling that amazing beach front plot on the moon?
    Comes with a free two-week time share on Mars.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 04:00 PM
    I think it is a valid point.

I have always marveled as to how Samsung, which was a so-so Android OEm (IMHO) has turned it around so quickly and effectively. I think there is something to learned there.
    04-05-14 04:06 PM
    Verizon market what sells and what sells gets marketed should be the title of OP.

Reference the latest Comscore stats

04-05-14 07:04 PM
62 123