Sure,.. it still requires 2-year activation/device but still... talk about aggressive.

Why Android leads: Carrier backing, Marketing, Free device deals!-vzwadpng.png

Why Android leads: Carrier backing, Marketing, Free device deals!-4-4-2014-8-11-29-pm.png
    04-04-14 07:18 PM
    isn't that just proof that the cost of eligible plans are inflated? Nothing is "free" and the G5, regardless of the economies of scale, and HTC One are top tier devices. Paying for two when you only need one isn't a huge endorsement for Android.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 07:21 PM
    Perhaps, but how many actually understand the concept of marginal utility and apply it to their daily consumption decisions, nowadays?

It's FREE!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 07:31 PM
    isn't that just proof that the cost of eligible plans are inflated? Nothing is "free" and the G5, regardless of the economies of scale, and HTC One are top tier devices. Paying for two when you only need one isn't a huge endorsement for Android.
    You kinda lost me. Correct, nothing is free, but:

It helps the carrier: two lines. It helps Android: propagation. It helps Samsung: raw sales.
    21stNow and RyanGermann like this.
    04-04-14 07:32 PM
    Ha! Contract. What's that?

Rather buy an unlocked nexus 5

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 07:34 PM

It helps the carrier: two lines. It helps Android: propagation. It helps Samsung: raw sales.
    Exactly, what really got me was that it's not the usual "Buy the top device, and get:

(a) the same one free/half-off ... which is kinda boring/less useful unless you really have two individuals that want the same exact device.

Or

(b) an old model/feature phone...

With this offer they actually let you select another top-tier device.... for Free (not $199, or $99).

I mean the m8 just launched, and the GS5 is on pre-order... compare that to the "efforts" put into (or by) BlackBerry... LOL

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 07:55 PM

So how is one free phones with two contracts different than one free phone half price on one contract? If it's not two phones one contract it's a Marketing double talk scam for the non-thinking and offering Windows Phone as an option != android propagation... whether or not people will actually take last year's second tier WP device over the OneM8 is not a puzzler... of course they won't. You're paying for two... and my android comments are directly related to the topic title, not android in general.
    04-04-14 08:08 PM
    Yes, what it means is that they are overcharging you for your monthly service.

Hope that helps.
    04-04-14 08:12 PM
    So how is two free phones with two contracts different than one free phone with one contract? If it's not two phones one contract it's a Marketing double talk scam for the non-thinking and offering Windows Phone as an option != android propagation... whether or not people will actually take last year's second tier WP device over the OneM8 is not a puzzler... of course they won't. You're paying for two.
    Well, I'm assuming solo people with a need for one phone won't activate two lines (if i understand the fine print correctly, 2 yr contracts are needed for both phones).

For the most part, only duos (friends, family, couples, etc) will go for the two. I wouldn't get two if I only needed one, because I would not want to be paying for two lines for two years.
    04-04-14 08:14 PM
    Yes, what it means is that they are overcharging you for your monthly service.

Hope that helps.
    No one is going to argue with this point LOL.

But am I understanding the promo incorrectly? If someone picks u the free device, another 2-yr contract is required, no?
    04-04-14 08:16 PM
    Well, I'm assuming solo people with a need for one phone won't activate two lines (if i understand the fine print correctly, 2 yr contracts are needed for both phones).

For the most part, only duos (friends, family, couples, etc) will go for the two. I wouldn't get two if I only needed one, because I would not want to be paying for two lines for two years.
    Reread my comments in context of a reply to the topic title. There is no pricing mentioned: if the minimum contracted monthly fee was closer to $100 than to$50, it's simply not a good deal. It may be the best deal going for an S5 but there isn't a $100 monthly plan that's not gouging by the carrier with a distracting shiny thing to entice you.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 08:17 PM
    No one is going to argue with this point LOL.

But am I understanding the promo incorrectly? If someone picks u the free device, another 2-yr contract is required, no?

Yes, each device must be activated on a new 2-year contract.

I got the same email.
    04-04-14 08:19 PM
    Reread my comments in context of a reply to the topic title. There is no pricing mentioned: if the minimum contracted monthly fee was closer to $100 than to$50, it's simply not a good deal. It may be the best deal going for an S5 but there isn't a $100 monthly plan that's not gouging by the carrier with a distracting shiny thing to entice you.
    Fair point. You would want to know the plan details first.
    04-04-14 08:26 PM
    They need to be aggressive to sell new devices, the market is saturated.

Z30 on 10.2.1 in Canada
    Irish Blues likes this.
    04-04-14 08:40 PM
    You're all are being way too generous to the general consumer's analytical abilities.

In any case, I can think of many situations in which this would work: a large family in which the teen wants the GS5 but mom thinks he's spoilt, or a boyfriend/husband that wants to get a new phone but his gf/wife thinks he doesn't need one, etc. This type of offer frames the splurge on the SG5 as more of a "shared" benefit "because, look, you can get one too for free mom/honey". It takes that self-indulgent guilt of buying a personal tech gadget away. It's not really math, it's emotions.

... but real outcome, pertinent to CrackBerry, is that one individual's desire to get a new android device, results in two users locked in to the Android ecosystem for another two years.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 08:41 PM
    You're all are being way too generous to the general consumer's analytical abilities.

In any case, I can think of many situations in which this would work: a large family in which the teen wants the GS5 but mom thinks he's spoilt, or a boyfriend/husband that wants to get a new phone but his gf/wife thinks he doesn't need one, etc. This type of offer frames the splurge on the SG5 as more of a "shared" benefit "because, look, you can get one too for free mom/honey". It takes that self-indulgent guilt of buying a personal tech gadget away. It's not really math, it's emotions.

... but real outcome, pertinent to CrackBerry, is that one individual's desire to get a new android device, results in two users locked in to the Android ecosystem for another two years.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed.
    04-04-14 08:48 PM
    BlackBerry did buy one get one deals when they were on top too. It helps to rule the roost and be flush with cash and market share.

Posted via CB10
    howarmat likes this.
    04-04-14 08:50 PM
    BlackBerry did buy one get one deals when they were on top too. It helps to rule the roost and be flush with cash and market share.

Posted via CB10
    hell i remember the buy 1 BB and get 3-4 curves free deals. It was great for families.
    04-04-14 08:55 PM
    You should read their fine prints; you're getting a second phone for free but you would need to activate or renew a total of two lines (I haven't read it but that's how it works with carriers). If you were to buy one GS5 and get another GS5 for free by activating or renewing only one phone line then yeah it would be free but not in this case with carriers.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 08:55 PM
    You should read their fine prints; you're getting a second phone for free but you would need to activate or renew a total of two lines (I haven't read it but that's how it works with carriers). If you were to buy one GS5 and get another GS5 for free by activating or renewing only one phone line then yeah it would be free but not in this case with carriers.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, that was what I was pointing out. So, in theory, only people that need two lines will go for this. The second one is not really free at all.
    Nharzhool likes this.
    04-04-14 09:04 PM
    I don't understand what's with all this "no deal", "bad deal" talks. If you are on a contacts and do not know or do not care for else, than, this is extraordinarily good deal. In other words no such deal was given before in US contract world. If you go no contract, prepaid deal as the most smartphone enthusiasts, then of course it is laughable to say the least.
    04-04-14 09:07 PM
    And one more thing, nowhere it says the second phone must be an android. You can pretty much chose Z30 to be your second phone. The heck, if you are smart enough (even though smart and contract don't go together in the same sentence) you can buy like 2 S5s for 50 bucks, sell them for $1200, and get yourself 2 Z30 for 900 and pocket the difference.
    04-04-14 09:16 PM
    Is this like the old joke?
    The winner gets a S5, the loser gets two s5, or a HTC ONE M8?

Omnitech likes this.
    04-04-14 09:22 PM
    The problem with this promotion is that it means you would have 2 phone lines on Verizon's high monthly 2 year contract plans.
    04-04-14 09:22 PM
    The problem with this promotion is that it means you would have 2 phone lines on Verizon's high monthly 2 year contract plans.
    Right, but TONS of people already do, so if it's close to renewal time for them, this is a great deal (to them, anyway). I think Verizon's prices are highway robbery, but clearly most of the country either can't do math or has other priorities than cost, because Verizon has the most subscribers of any carrier in the US.
    04-04-14 09:51 PM
62 123