03-06-14 04:29 AM
36 12
tools
    Sorry about post but I posted the links somehow came out like that. Anyhow runbox or countermail both hosted via offshore servers.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 11:39 AM
    Gmail primarily and Hotmail as backup. I am using the email services with full acknowledgment that everything can be spied upon easily.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 11:52 AM
    Zoho.com on own domain

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 11:53 AM
    Never Gmail! Surrendered my youtube acct too when Google acquired them.

Using Opera mail (sold to Fastmail several years ago) and junk goes to Yahoo.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 12:04 PM
    Hotmail for business, transitioning from Yahoo to Gmail for personal. With BB10 I'm now syncing my contact info with my Hotmail account, I removed high value info (drivers license #, social security #, ect) from my contacts info, because I don't trust them with it. I'm against the NSA mass data collection, but there are other people out there I trust less then the NSA.
    11-17-13 06:21 PM
    Fastmail, and been with them for years. I still use Google for Calendar/Contacts, but I'll switch that the moment Fastmail offers those services as well. (It is on their roadmap for the next year, I believe.)

Prior to Fastmail, I just ran my own Email server. Worked fine, but after a while I felt I was better off just having it managed by someone else.
    11-18-13 12:13 AM
    I use Gmail. Why? Because nothing in my email would be of interest to anyone but me, because 99% of the people I email use Gmail, Outlook, or Yahoo mail (all compromised by NSA), so even if my own email was secure, theirs isn't, because Google is actually working to encrypt all of their (our) data internally to prevent future NSA breaches (they're the only company to do this so far), and because Google's scanning of my emails actually provides ME very useful benefits, such as Google Now functionality.

The Snowden documents have gotten a TON of people very upset, for very good reason, but that's actually a GOOD thing, because experts are furiously working to solve that problem technically. The email protocols we use today were never intended to be the least big secure, and what little security we've added was very minimal. Now, we have people looking to completely replace the current email protocols with fully end-to-end encrypted protocols, and among the bigger services, I think you'll see Google implement it first (as an option), though I think you'll see the other big companies adopt it pretty quickly as well. SMTP has always sucked, but until the Snowden documents, there was never a big enough reason to justify replacing billions of email accounts with new protocols. Now there IS a reason, and it's actively being worked on, and soon I don't see this as being an issue anymore.
    11-18-13 12:54 AM
    I use Gmail. Why? Because nothing in my email would be of interest to anyone but me, because 99% of the people I email use Gmail, Outlook, or Yahoo mail (all compromised by NSA), so even if my own email was secure, theirs isn't, because Google is actually working to encrypt all of their (our) data internally to prevent future NSA breaches (they're the only company to do this so far), and because Google's scanning of my emails actually provides ME very useful benefits, such as Google Now functionality.

The Snowden documents have gotten a TON of people very upset, for very good reason, but that's actually a GOOD thing, because experts are furiously working to solve that problem technically. The email protocols we use today were never intended to be the least big secure, and what little security we've added was very minimal. Now, we have people looking to completely replace the current email protocols with fully end-to-end encrypted protocols, and among the bigger services, I think you'll see Google implement it first (as an option), though I think you'll see the other big companies adopt it pretty quickly as well. SMTP has always sucked, but until the Snowden documents, there was never a big enough reason to justify replacing billions of email accounts with new protocols. Now there IS a reason, and it's actively being worked on, and soon I don't see this as being an issue anymore.
    That's true, just like competition creates innovation, the Snowden leaks will push companies to become more secure (or so they will have us believe) to keep their customers from switching to one that does have encryption. They probably would never have bother, but since Gmail Facebook etc are loosing people they will want to do things to keep people from following. I will have to keep my eye on the progress of Gmail since I still need it for youtube.

Also Hushmail works good for a free encrypted email but imap is only for premium users so it won't work in the Hub.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 02:34 AM
    In terms of US email and web hosting on the topic of "security", I like the notion of hosting data in Canada. When choosing a company to host the data, make sure the servers are actually located in Canada (and not just a Canadian company reselling out of the USA):

https://www.dedicatedservers.ca/blog...dicated-server
    11-22-13 10:17 AM
    Yahoo/Google/Fastmail/Outlook/Zoho. Multiple accounts with each providing a clear separation of services (personal/receipts/banking/cloud/etc). Only gripe with Fastmail is the lack of true TFA security (restricted alternative logins are the only workarounds).

SQN100-1 10.2.1.2141 | STA100-3 10.2.1.2141
    03-06-14 02:34 AM
    After 7 years of using gmail, I switched to outlook.com with my own domain.
    Pros:
    -ActiveSync(unlike gmail, with no clear future)
    -Less spam
    -Not ugly UI, nice and clear
    -Cheap OneDrive storage.
    03-06-14 04:29 AM
36 12