So I just got curious, it's been what 5 months now since Snowden leaked the nsa prism spy scandal and we all know the big American tech companies hand over a lot of information (Thanks, Snowden! Now All The Major Tech Companies Reveal How Often They Give Data To Government - Forbes). So I am wondering, has this effected any bodies perception and habits in trusting these companies? What email service are people more leaning towards for privacy. I know some people just don't care, but it's kind of unsettling knowing that my stuff could be snooped on, not that I really have anything important in my email but I don't want just anybody reading my private juicy convos either lol. Plus some of my accounts have more sensitive information like banking accounts etc.

One reason I switched to bb10 from iphone was to get away from these companies knowing BlackBerry is good for their security, but it doesn't really matter if the email you use is giving away everything anyways.

So are people using Gmail or outlook more? Or are their other good providers out there that not everybody knows about?

Side note, how do people feel about this when it comes to apps like bbm, imessage etc? And is blackberry doing the same as Google etc?
    Or are people just complacent and just don't really care? It will only get worse in time if they aren't stopped by somebody like EU, and if the TPP trade agreement passes it will definitely get harder to talk to somebody without ever word potentially being used against you later.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 01:07 AM
    Gmail and Hotmail are mah jam

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 01:13 AM
    Important emails are on either Fastmail (security through obscurity, hehe) or my university email. Really important things are in person with the blinds closed.
    midnightdoom likes this.
    11-16-13 01:15 AM
    Google Apps Mail for everything.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 01:26 AM
    Angelfire, I mean geocities.

Posted via CB10
    Brandon Orr likes this.
    11-16-13 01:36 AM
    Angelfire, I mean geocities.

Posted via CB10
    I did not know they were still around. Lol I remember the early days of geocities, that brings back memories

The fastmail looks pretty good. Not too expensive either

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 02:23 AM
    Outlook is my personal mail and Gmail is for all the other stuff

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 02:31 AM
    My yahoo and gmail.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 02:38 AM
    GMail for the last several years. I like the fact all my email, calendar and contacts are backed up on the Google servers.

As far as security goes, a friend who is a IT guy once told me nothing is safe if it's broadcast over an open network and/or the internet, period.

Sent using the CB app from my iPhone 5S
    11-16-13 02:43 AM
    It matters not what email provider you use because they all can be compromised by man-in-the-middle (MITM) interception but CSEC, GCHQ, NSA et. Al. The few encrypted email providers shutdown either under legal threat of a government or shuttered their services out of an unwillingness to force the evil hand of the government of their respective country.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    11-16-13 03:01 AM
    BlackBerry NSA proof phone. My e-mail is Sasktl's

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30.
    11-16-13 03:14 AM
    Outlook/Hotmail and Gmail. I personally don't use any form of tinfoil shielding.
    11-16-13 05:18 AM
    Gmail for important stuff and aol for junk from other companies

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    11-16-13 05:32 AM
    My internet provider for personal, company for business. We also have our own website that has email hosting on the server. Personally, for professional use, I think free email options do not look good.
    Revampd likes this.
    11-16-13 05:44 AM
    Gmail for important stuff and aol for junk from other companies

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    Just to understand the rational behind it:
    You use Gmail, which is known to scan the contents of your Mails, for important stuff?
    Why?

It's also not to single you out, as there are a ton of users who do the exact same thing, but timing wise I thought I'd ask you.
    Why would someone willingly put up with GMail for important stuff?

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 05:46 AM
    My internet provider for personal, company for business. We also have our own website that has email hosting on the server. Personally, for professional use, I think free email options do not look good.
    You can get domain names on some free email hosters, so it's not that obvious.
    But I agree with you, as I use a paid hosted account as well, and the company I work for also provides an Email adress for their employees on their servers.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 05:48 AM
    Gmail

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 08:02 AM
    hotmail/outlook user for many years. Mainly because of their messenger when facebook wasn't mainstream
    11-16-13 08:15 AM
    For junk I use my Timer Warner Road Runner Account funny part I have not had a Time Warner connection for two years but as long as the account stays active it remains free and running. For serious stuff I have my own private domain as a small business owner.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 08:19 AM
    Actually, midnightdoom, all of the big service providers have arrangements with the security operations to provide either back doors or give over the raw data. MITM attacks are for individual attacks once a target has been determined. The two encrypted email providers were forced out by the government(s), but there may be others in the making. MS, Apple, Google, etc., are all active participants, either on their own accord or thru FISA court orders.

The real question is how secure is BBM? Anyone?
    midnightdoom likes this.
    11-16-13 08:38 AM
    Actually, midnightdoom, all of the big service providers have arrangements with the security operations to provide either back doors or give over the raw data. MITM attacks are for individual attacks once a target has been determined. The two encrypted email providers were forced out by the government(s), but there may be others in the making. MS, Apple, Google, etc., are all active participants, either on their own accord or thru FISA court orders.

The real question is how secure is BBM? Anyone?
    Yah that's what I mainly wanted to see. As of now I still use Hotmail and Gmail but want to get away from them but don't know to who. I have been following the situation and know lavabit etc shut down, and I know Snowden said essentially any American .com site has to comply to these fisa orders. I did look into that fastmail and being it's Australian they say they don't have to answer to America unless they go through the Australian court. Also Mega(upload) is coming out with an email service soon. Now being I am from Canada I don't know how that effects the backdoor access but have been reading that they are going to leak soon what Canadas version of NSA is up to.

But yah I am also curious on bbm, and if BlackBerry releases the transparency numbers of requests.

I'm not really being "tinfoil hat" about this. This is about our rights to privacy and since these companies don't care to protect it than I don't want to support their services anymore plain and simple.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 04:23 PM
    Just to understand the rational behind it:
    You use Gmail, which is known to scan the contents of your Mails, for important stuff?
    Why?

It's also not to single you out, as there are a ton of users who do the exact same thing, but timing wise I thought I'd ask you.
    Why would someone willingly put up with GMail for important stuff?

Posted via CB10
    My important stuff is all church related so no national secrets...

Sent from my iPad
    11-16-13 05:50 PM
    The problem is even if you host your own email as soon as you send mail to a Gmail account it is "compromised". Same for email you receive from anyone using those services. That also does not even consider the possibility of data interception/forced access without provider back doors.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 06:43 PM
    Check out hushmail.com. For a secure email alternative. You can send encrypted mail to a non Hushmail user and they can view it by answering a security question. The company is in Canada and yes they will cooperate with the law according to their terms of service. That is a good thing. I don't like crooks.

Zed 10 via CB10
    midnightdoom likes this.
    11-16-13 07:08 PM
    11-17-13 11:37 AM
36 12