We are developing an app for Android and I decided to buy a Samsung Galaxy S3 to test it. Hehe, I also wanted to have a new device while waiting for BB10.
    I have used a few BB's, an iPhone 4, and for the first time a flag ship device running android. So far only this galaxy slab has made me go WOW!!!!
    Ok, I know the screen is a bit too large, the UI is confusing some times, some security concerns? and there are minor glitches throughout, but if BB10 wants to impress a Galaxy S3 user it will need a lot more than what we have seen so far. It is about the screen, camera, options, visual UI, widgets, integration of apps, speed, did I say speed?, maps, apps, connectivity, ease of use, seamless experience... Did I mention it is fast?
    It might be because I am coming from a 9860 and it is only my humble opinion. Hard work ahead RIM... and apple.
    BTW, the developers advice was to forget about BB10 "it has been delayed for ages". I guess will port it first and will go native when proven worth it.
    10-16-12 07:02 PM
    I guess will port it first and will go native when proven worth it.
    You'll be scorned and tossed aside for those that are already native.

If you port and test waters, you might as well not even bother. People will sniff out the lack of commitment and your app will gain nothing but comments like "WTF, this is weak.. should have been native.. deleted". In turn, giving you a somewhat bad impression of the user base and making you not want to even bother building native.

Go big or go home because others are ready to take your place with whatever your offering is.
    10-16-12 07:22 PM
    Unfortunately money is a scarce resource, if we are successful people will download it anyway as it will be at their service and free. We will not charge and they will not care. I would install a ported Skype.
    I wish I could go native from the very beginning but money do not understand about loyalty or promises.
    It is sad, but it is the way it is.
    Might better go home. We are looking for investors if you want to put the money...
    10-16-12 07:42 PM
    I'll care. I've replaced every single android ported app on my PB I favour of native ones. The only android app I run Is Repligo pdf reader and it's a sideload not from app world.

As for wow factor, android currently does not wow me. The S3 is impressive... For now. Talk to me in 12 months when Android X.x is released and S3 owners are all saying "hey wtf Samsung, what's taking you so long to update the S3 to X.x??? So-and-so just released their new phone and it already has that version of Android on it!"
    Until Google gets their shiz together on the Nexus program, that's pretty much how buying any OEM android phone plays out. All shiny and new for a short while and then falls way behind keeping up with Android version updates. It's the often discussed fragmentation issue.

I'm not even going to discuss iphone. They're so frigging uninspired and vanilla for so long now I won't even consider one. I'm not arguing that it's a bad business model. It's not. There's a heck of a lot more people who know f-all about tech than people who do, and the iSnore will appeal to them. I'm not one of them though and will not buy one.

Although I'm currently on Android on my phone I will seriously consider both WP8 and BB10 if, and only if, Google has not lived up to their claim that they will have all the major OEMs participating in the Nexus program by the time those other OS's are out.
    00stryder likes this.
    10-16-12 08:31 PM
    I am not a programmer and do not know what you are programming, but I have started and run a couple of successful businesses and I have to agree with Bla1ze. BB users (usually) value someone's application, why not invest money in making a nice native application and charging for it?
    Running a business has a lot to do with reaching for the fruit at the top of the tree.
    10-16-12 08:42 PM
    Please go native.

Money may be scarce, but if you can afford a high-end iPhone and S3, then what the heck?
    bahandi likes this.
    10-16-12 11:38 PM
    Wow factor? RIM does. As in, wow, why in the heck (because apparently the opposite of heaven is filtered) hasn't BB 10 been released yet?
    10-17-12 02:28 AM
    As a developer, I questioned the same thing. I decided to go Native with PlayBook/BB10 for a few reasons.

- Although they run Android apps, they don't get all of the features that native apps get, such as predictive text on the keyboard. This can make the user experience less than desirable.

- Currently, the Android Player supports the Android SDK, but doesn't seem to support the NDK. If your app uses any C++/NDK functionality, it will probably crash on the PlayBook/BB10.

- Many PlayBook users prefer to only use native apps. Although having the Android app out initially, reviews might get lower ratings, and any features that aren't fully supported will get noticed right away.

I've read that App World tends to be more profitable for developers as apps get lost quickly in other app stores due to the large volume of apps. I think PlayBook/BB10 owners are more receptive to Android apps when they have a large, popular following on other systems. If your app has a great following on iOS or Android, BB users may be a little more forgiving just to get the app on QNX. I read somewhere that on iOS, to be profitable, you have to stay in the top 20 of your category just to get downloaded.

PlayBook users keep asking for native Netflix and Skype, but I'm sure most would be happy if either of the Android apps would actually work.
    10-17-12 03:45 AM
    Hhhhhmmmm.....for the first time on a LONG time I'm not obsessing over getting a new phone, even with the iP5 and Galaxy 3 releases.
    I have hardly visited iMore and I haven't gone near AC for weeks.
    Sadly, I'm not excited about one single piece of tech right now....

Or I might just be focusing on my man coming over from across the pond.....

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    mikeo007, bluetroll and 00stryder like this.
    10-17-12 08:01 AM
    You'll be scorned and tossed aside for those that are already native.
    Not to be mean to the Android ports, but I really wish there was some sort of indicator on the apps to let us know how it was built.
    recompile and Zirak like this.
    10-17-12 08:11 AM
    The wow factor goes to QNX. I research every app that goes on my PlayBook and Android is not allowed. If a developer is not invested in QNX don't expect me to invest my money in you. Even if it's free I don't want it.
    10-17-12 12:48 PM
    I am not a programmer and do not know what you are programming, but I have started and run a couple of successful businesses and I have to agree with Bla1ze. BB users (usually) value someone's application, why not invest money in making a nice native application and charging for it?
    Running a business has a lot to do with reaching for the fruit at the top of the tree.
    Believe me I would definitely go native if the app was the product itself, but it is not. It is a mean to our product and we need to get as big as user base as possible. And that is Android at present.

[/QUOTE] Money may be scarce, but if you can afford a high-end iPhone and S3, then what the heck?.[/QUOTE]

I wish it was as much, I would not think about it twice.
    Still waiting for BB10.
    One question to all ported haters: Would you install Skype if it was ported? What about Viber?
    10-17-12 04:07 PM
    WOW You should be diverse in business and make native apps for all platforms. There is a lot of crap apps out there and porting in garbage is not a solution. If your not prepared to build quality native BB apps perhaps apple or droid are more styled to the apps you want to build.
    10-17-12 04:36 PM
    WOW You should be diverse in business and make native apps for all platforms. There is a lot of crap apps out there and porting in garbage is not a solution. If your not prepared to build quality native BB apps perhaps apple or droid are more styled to the apps you want to build.
    Well, you know, Android accounts for 78.7% of the smartphone marketshare in my country. BB10 = 0% ish.
    That is something RIM will have to fight against.
    Times will change, and we will have to adapt, hopefully to a Blackberry comeback, but for now...
    10-17-12 05:00 PM
    Hhhhhmmmm.....for the first time on a LONG time I'm not obsessing over getting a new phone, even with the iP5 and Galaxy 3 releases.
    I have hardly visited iMore and I haven't gone near AC for weeks.
    Sadly, I'm not excited about one single piece of tech right now....

Or I might just be focusing on my man coming over from across the pond.....

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Be sure to apply some Febreze frequently to keep your place smelling nice...
    10-17-12 05:55 PM
    I understand your point, you want to invest in an OS that have a large consumer base stablished. But one thing you need to remember in android you are going to be competing against thousands of apps. With BB 10 you are going to be one of the first one and you might be more likely to become popular faster than android. Like others mentioned android has many problem still, apps don't work the same way in every phone and that really sucks. I have a galaxy nexus and one of my favorite apps is Flipboard, but when you compare the app to the iOS app, Flipboard (in iOS) is a beauty compare to the android version. My point choose an OS which is stable in every single phone and not just in one. In your case your app is going to be stable in the S3 but what about the HTC one X or the new LG phone. If you do not want develop for BB 10 right now I think is better if you create an iOS or even a WP 8 OS.
    10-17-12 07:15 PM
    I understand your point, you want to invest in an OS that have a large consumer base stablished. But one thing you need to remember in android you are going to be competing against thousands of apps. With BB 10 you are going to be one of the first one and you might be more likely to become popular faster than android. Like others mentioned android has many problem still, apps don't work the same way in every phone and that really sucks. I have a galaxy nexus and one of my favorite apps is Flipboard, but when you compare the app to the iOS app, Flipboard (in iOS) is a beauty compare to the android version. My point choose an OS which is stable in every single phone and not just in one. In your case your app is going to be stable in the S3 but what about the HTC one X or the new LG phone. If you do not want develop for BB 10 right now I think is better if you create an iOS or even a WP 8 OS.
    We are developing for Android 2.2 Froyo first because it is the largest userbase, iOS will follow and we will consider WP8 and BB10 afterwards. We need user base and that is why we are going for android 2.2. Fragmentation is indeed a problem in Android.
    Our app is a mean, not the end, that is why we have chose Android first. The app is not a product that we can sell, but a useful tool for our product.
    10-17-12 07:55 PM
    Be sure to apply some Febreze frequently to keep your place smelling nice...

ah well but I won't need Febreeze when he's here......

know what's really funny....only the 50000 get it!!!
    10-17-12 08:21 PM
    WebOS...it's making a comeback, just wait.
    00stryder likes this.
    10-17-12 08:23 PM
    Would the 10k guarantee be able to apply to your app?
    10-17-12 08:33 PM
    Well, if you get on it right now, you'll have a good amount of time to get a solid native application for BB10 up and running. Being a native app close to launch can be a big thing for an application developer, getting featured in the app store is a possibility, plenty of people easily finding, purchasing, and downloading your application, as well a whole new OS to fiddle and play around with. Taking into consideration the fact that your already developing applications, it won't be to hard for you to develop a great application that'll really gain some ground in a relatively new market. People want to pick up a new device, and get straight to all the new features. Let's be honest, although porting is great, everyone enjoys the experience of natives apps more. You'll be able to get fast feedback from all the great people on the BlackBerry market, (If it's anything like the PlayBook or previous BB versions of course.) And perfect the app right away. By the time more and more people decide to pick up BB10 devices, you'll already have your foot in the door as a five star application (With the right development and support behind you, of course.) Who knows, you might just become the next Rovio.
    10-17-12 08:43 PM
    Well, you know, Android accounts for 78.7% of the smartphone marketshare in my country. BB10 = 10% ish.
    That is something RIM will have to fight against.
    Times will change, and we will have to adapt, hopefully to a Blackberry comeback, but for now...
    Fixed your percentage for you.
    BTW, did you know that 10% of the Asian market is larger than the entire population of the U.S.A., not the cellphone market, the entire population.
    10-18-12 04:34 AM
    BTW, did you know that 10% of the Asian market is larger than the entire population of the U.S.A., not the cellphone market, the entire population.
    Nope, pretty sure you're dead wrong. It's 0%. BB10 is not out yet.
    10-18-12 06:42 AM
    Clever boy!
    1. BB10 is not out, so its marketshare is 0%
    2. I am not asian.
    3. Asia is not a country
    Thanks for the fix!
    10-18-12 09:01 AM
    We are developing an app for Android and I decided to buy a Samsung Galaxy S3 to test it. Hehe, I also wanted to have a new device while waiting for BB10.
    I have used a few BB's, an iPhone 4, and for the first time a flag ship device running android. So far only this galaxy slab has made me go WOW!!!!
    Ok, I know the screen is a bit too large, the UI is confusing some times, some security concerns? and there are minor glitches throughout, but if BB10 wants to impress a Galaxy S3 user it will need a lot more than what we have seen so far. It is about the screen, camera, options, visual UI, widgets, integration of apps, speed, did I say speed?, maps, apps, connectivity, ease of use, seamless experience... Did I mention it is fast?
    It might be because I am coming from a 9860 and it is only my humble opinion. Hard work ahead RIM... and apple.
    BTW, the developers advice was to forget about BB10 "it has been delayed for ages". I guess will port it first and will go native when proven worth it.
    Personally, I don't find the S3 impressive at all - big plastic phone with buggy OS and poor battery life. You have also presented a serious internal contradiction in your own argument by claiming seamless in the same paragraph in which you note "minor glitches throughout" and "UI is confusing some times." Those are pretty much the opposite of seamless. FWIW, it may be faster than a 2 year old BB, but (like most things Android) it is not as fast as it should be since all Android phones are hamstrung by poor OS architecture, resource hogging, resulting occasional lag. Even in the Android forums people still complain about lag with the highest end Android phones, including the GS3. I am sorry but this really just sounds like a Google/Android sales pitch which touts "amazing" until you pay attention to the words. RIM needs to get devices out ASAP but they do not need to replicate the latest and greatest (so to speak) Android devices. BTW, VZW sells more Android phones than anyone else in the US but it was iPhone 5 sales that pushed the revenue up and made their quarter.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-18-12 01:23 PM
27 12