Now that we are able to install apk files from the file manager.......i would also like to have the ability to install bar files

Who's with me? There are currently some great native apps that we need to side load as they aren't supported in BlackBerry World.

Having the ability to install bar files from the file manager would be a great feature to have imho.

Who's with me?

Posted via CB10
    xxslxx likes this.
    12-03-13 03:37 PM
    Imho. The ability to have bar files installed through the file manager is more important than apk's.

Posted via CB10
    menshawy likes this.
    12-03-13 03:42 PM
    Yeah that would be cool
    12-03-13 03:47 PM
    Yeah that would be cool
    It would be very cool. However I feel there is a security aspect that might be more difficult to implement. I could very well be wrong.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 06:05 PM
    I installed Droid Store the other day. It is a bar file. Would have been great to just install the bar file from the file manager

Posted via CB10
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    12-03-13 06:06 PM
    hum ... mitigated about this.
    would prefer
    BARs = monitored and certified (BBWorld)
    APKs = distributed by a (several) BB trusted source(s).

This was fun, but I believe we need to go back to ... business.
    Sorry for being the party poo.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-03-13 06:11 PM
    I think I agree with Superfly...

Apks NEED to be side loaded, so having the capabilities of installing them straight from the device is fantastic! If you want to develop an ecosystem, like blackberry is trying to do with BlackBerry World, it doesn't make sense to give the option to install bar files on their own. Security is also a concern as well as metrics.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR and QtHelex like this.
    12-03-13 06:17 PM
    hum ... mitigated about this.
    would prefer
    BARs = monitored and certified (BBWorld)
    APKs = distributed by a (several) BB trusted source(s).

This was fun, but I believe we need to go back to ... business.
    Sorry for being the party poo.
    I just feel that the end user should be free to discover and obtain bar files at their own discretion. Blackberry is calling bb10 a mobile computing solution. With this should come the freedom of choice imho

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 06:25 PM
    I just feel that the end user should be free to discover and obtain bar files at their own discretion. Blackberry is calling bb10 a mobile computing solution. With this should come the freedom of choice imho

Posted via CB10
    Can be done within a repository where people submitting bar are at least required to be known. Same goes for APKs ... No biggie, but solves many issues, regarding IP and (a minimum of) security, aka responsibility.

edit : What you describe is Android-like, with all the associated inherited "problems".
    xxslxx likes this.
    12-03-13 06:52 PM
    For sho OP!

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 06:59 PM
    I think I agree with Superfly...

Apks NEED to be side loaded, so having the capabilities of installing them straight from the device is fantastic! If you want to develop an ecosystem, like blackberry is trying to do with BlackBerry World, it doesn't make sense to give the option to install bar files on their own. Security is also a concern as well as metrics.

Posted via CB10
    BBOS could install bar files. So we're still a step back from that. I feel more secure installing a downloaded. Bar that entering development mode and having my device be open to traffic.
    12-03-13 07:52 PM
    I don't know. In all honesty, I have been basically against sideloading and Android runtime from the beginning and I don't see it as a solution to the app problem. It's an excuse. I just wish BlackBerry focused all of that effort into getting the apps on board as the native apps provide a richer (and more fitting) experience. And now it's almost as if they are encouraging it all while giving up on the native apps. With BAR files, will we then give up on BlackBerry World all together? That might not quite be the case yet, but it could be. It starts as the norm of being able to install from a typical app store, then sideloads come along and you can do that through the computer. Now with 10.2.1 you can install APK files right from the phone itself. Then BAR files could follow. And in the end, you're running all Android apps so why not just switch to Android? I have always seen it as more of a slippery slope
    QtHelex likes this.
    12-03-13 08:02 PM
    I tweeted Alec Saunders. See if he replies

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 09:17 PM
    You've taken the words out of my mouth! I was talking about this in my BBM group the other day. Mostly because I didn't want to have to sideload the newest version of Snap (which I haven't done yet...). Then since I can't, I wondered if the dev would just make an apk version since that's easier to install.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    12-03-13 09:25 PM
    I tweeted Alec Saunders. See if he replies

Posted via CB10
    He's quite clear about it already

"On the topic of trust, first of all I would say you can trust the BlackBerry App World store. Secondly, if you're going to download Android .apk files from other stores, take note that some of those stores are trusted."
    12-04-13 05:45 AM
    Some apps won't be approved by BB World for various business/legal/CYA reasons, yet users want them and would like an easier way to install them. That's the elephant in the room here, which it's hard to have a frank discussion with BlackBerry about.

Besides that, BB10 currently has no way for developers to put out public pre-releaae beta/testing versions of their apps. Hopefully this will change with the evolution of the new Beta Zone app, but that has yet to happen. This is actually a big problem as well.

Also remember that these apps still need to be signed, and still need to permissions for things they do on the device.

Yes, we had website OTA of apps BBOS.
    Yes, Android currently has this as well.
    It'd Apple that made it "cool" to take this away, and many decided to copy them. I wish they hadn't.

So please, dammit, let us directly install BAR files without needing tools running external to the device and a special developer mode.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and missing_K-W like this.
    12-04-13 10:52 AM
    Besides that, BB10 currently has no way for developers to put out public pre-releaae beta/testing versions of their apps. Hopefully this will change with the evolution of the new Beta Zone app, but that has yet to happen. This is actually a big problem as well.
    [...]
    So please, dammit, let us directly install BAR files without needing tools running external to the device and a special developer mode.
    Posted via CB10
    You can have "beta release" (aka sandbox) in the isv portal.

for the second sentence, I agree with most ... "let us install BAR files to the device with a BlackBerry 10 feature and no special developer mode"
    I believe this might be the ideal combination ... as much as I can trust many devs here, I'm not very comfortable with external tools playing with my ROM. And this might somehow "scan" the bar to detect obvious dangers.
    Creative 2 cents here.
    12-04-13 12:15 PM
    You can have "beta release" (aka sandbox) in the isv portal.
    This is, IMHO, not good enough. It satisfies the use case of "let my couple of friends test it out," but ignores the case of "let any eager person test it out." Including the latter group, without having to explicitly add them, helps find a lot more issues.
    12-04-13 12:29 PM
    I'm not a dev so be kind. But couldn't a dev make an app which would allow us to directly install bar files? I know BB World wouldn't allow the app in it but at least we could side one the one app and then directly install others that we want.

Just a thought...
    12-04-13 07:59 PM
    No, this isn't possible. Creating an app that can install other apps requires special permissions that only BlackBerry themselves can use, as far as anyone knows. (The "Beta Zone" app is an example of this.)

Of course you actually could write apps that do this on old BBOS, since they did expose public APIs for installing things there.
    12-05-13 12:29 AM
    I volunteer

Who wants to see bar file installation supported?-iv.jpg

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 01:05 AM
    No, this isn't possible. Creating an app that can install other apps requires special permissions that only BlackBerry themselves can use
    Therefore a BB10 feature, not an app.
    12-05-13 05:54 AM
    I really do hope we get this feature. Goes with the freedom of mobile computing

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 09:25 AM
    Drag, Drop, Done! 3D's of BB.
    12-05-13 09:34 AM
    Yes i really hope....

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 09:41 AM
31 12