Just laying here anf finnishing up reading kevins article about bb10 and iphone5 launch and how the dates may be days apart.

Who thinks rim is waiting for apple to announce a date and market the heck out of bb10 the weeks leading up to it?

I mean that's a given if they are released on the same week but if bb10 drops closer to december then do you think they would use it as a strategy?

Thor seems like a just get it out there guy and doesn't care about burning bridges. Seems like he's all about berry success like zuckerburg was for facebook when it was in infant form.

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk
    06-05-12 12:54 AM
    I'm not sure if they are doing that. But it would be a pretty good idea to do it. Similar to what Google is doing by releasing Google Maps before WWDC'12. If they do follow Google by releasing BB10 device(s) prior to the iPhone 5, they should re-launch their wake-up campaign, IMO.
    06-05-12 02:44 AM
    IMHO they need to sync with a major event ... what do we have ?
    06-05-12 02:50 AM
    I think at this point it is too early for RIM to even know what week they can release BB10. The carriers have to test and certify things. Remember with OS7 there were all kinds of rumors about pushing back the dates due to the carriers not approving things.

Yes I know -- the radio stack on BB10 is new, supposedly easier to certify. Just saying... it is a ways off.

And Apple typically is not going to tip their hand until what a month out or less? RIM waiting for that might complicate things. I think RIM is not really waiting for Apple.
    glassofpinot likes this.
    06-05-12 02:54 AM
    No. Why wait if you don't have to. Apple will sell 25m + phones anyway. If you could get in early and grab some of them surely you would.
    06-05-12 02:56 AM
    At this point BB10 is being held up by BB10 itself.
    When it is ready they will then worry about the timing, including what the competition will do.
    kbz1960, louzer and glassofpinot like this.
    06-05-12 11:34 AM
    I think they are waiting until it is done, and carriers have certified things to do a release date. If they do one of their announce and miss jobs like they have done for the last few devices then they get hammered by the media.
    06-05-12 11:39 AM
    I don't think they are waiting for Apple to release the ip5. They'll release BB10 when they fell it's ready.
    06-05-12 11:43 AM
    RIM needs to get these new phones out before the new IPhone.
    They already have missed a big boat with the new Galaxy S phone coming out
    this month.

What Kevin does not address (I think) is the fact that when folks get a new phone it takes them out of the market for a new phone for 1-3 years due to contracts, renewal times etc..

So when a person gets that new Galaxy S or IPhone they are out of the market for 1-3 years.

Yes, a small percentage will pay the full cost of the phone if not elegible for an upgrade, but most will not.

Taking this many prospective customers out of the market prior to RIM launching of the new phones just adds more doubt to the whole thing.

Right now RIM is not impressing me, they are not sending the signals that they are ready to launch anything with conviction and confidence. This worries me.

A Long "dry" summer is on the way for RIM.
    Another long "cold" winter is also in store for them. (using their current plans)
    Yes, Spring 2013 does not look good either right now.

I do not see RIM doing anything as far a turn around until at least late 2014. I am not sure they have the cash to last that long in their current form.

So yes, RIM should be keeping an eye out for the launch date and adjust accordingly. Before the new IPhone is the only hope of getting any sort of sales up-tick at all for RIM.

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 06-05-12 at 11:51 AM.
    06-05-12 11:47 AM
    BB10 will be a cooler product and this needs to be matched with cool marketing and a great display in carrier stores

Consumers will see the phones about one month before they're actually available to touch and cool marketing can swing people to BB10
    06-05-12 12:35 PM
    BB10 will be a cooler product and this needs to be matched with cool marketing and a great display in carrier stores

Consumers will see the phones about one month before they're actually available to touch and cool marketing can swing people to BB10

Phones? I know of only one bb10 for 2012 and no word on when another will come along.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    06-05-12 12:39 PM
    I think they are waiting to get the OS right. I also think some devs are waiting on the OS and tools.

To release a not ready product no matter what else is coming or out ahead is a death sentence. It doesn't have to be perfect as nothing is but it does have to major bug free.
    06-05-12 12:46 PM
    Apple wont release a date until probably 2 weeks out. They are generally really good about the secret thing. RIM on the other hand cant move as fast IMO. They need to just do their thing and once the carriers all approve it then release it.
    glassofpinot likes this.
    06-05-12 12:56 PM
    IMHO they need to sync with a major event ... what do we have ?
    No way

RIM needs to launch BB10 on a newly announced date, maybe giving a weeks notice of the launch date make people scramble.

RIM certainly isn't waiting for Apple to give a Launch date,

RIM MUST launch BB10 on their terms, and not play to the terms of others, the need to launch when the OS is ready, the hardware is sound, and the Key developers have their apps ready for launch day.

It doesn't matter when the iPhone5 is launching, or when the Motorola Razr extreme or the HTC eleventeen X is launching, RIM needs to promote their launch quickly and with a splash and flare who cares who else is in the pool.
    kbz1960 and glassofpinot like this.
    06-05-12 01:46 PM
    Highly unlikely Chris. If there is one given it is that iPhone buyers are almost fanatical in their
    desire for whatever Apple pushes. There is no way RIM can / will counter that and I have to
    think they know it would be a complete waste of time and marketing resources to attempt.
    06-05-12 01:53 PM
    Highly unlikely Chris. If there is one given it is that iPhone buyers are almost fanatical in their
    desire for whatever Apple pushes. There is no way RIM can / will counter that and I have to
    think they know it would be a complete waste of time and marketing resources to attempt.
    I don't believe those hardcore iPhone buyers/rebuyers are the people RIM is targeting. Just as you mentioned it would be a waste of time.

I work with a few of those users who want to get the next iPhone as soon as it launches. They don't consider it anything else for 2 reasons:

1. There ecosystem is already apple and have no desire to change
    2. They just believe nothing is better than the iPhone or that a BlackBerry is crap

Item 1 is a fare requirement and requires RIM to show something that will really make them reconsider. It isn't an easy task however, but doubtful it will done at launch date.

Item 2. That one is a lost cause. I've found those users are so subjective in there argument, you cannot have an objective discussion to begin with.

The rest of the users recycling/upgrading there contact during the iPhone launch will would wait to see what BB10 is about if the launch is really near.
    06-05-12 02:04 PM
    BB10 should be out before the iPhone 5, I don't care what anyone says
    06-05-12 02:53 PM
    I wonder if RIM will display a couple of teasers/features during the Toronto/New York BB10 Jam world tour. The dates are close together and apparently sold out in 24hrs.
    06-05-12 05:10 PM
    Just laying here anf finnishing up reading kevins article about bb10 and iphone5 launch and how the dates may be days apart.

Who thinks rim is waiting for apple to announce a date and market the heck out of bb10 the weeks leading up to it?

I mean that's a given if they are released on the same week but if bb10 drops closer to december then do you think they would use it as a strategy?

Thor seems like a just get it out there guy and doesn't care about burning bridges. Seems like he's all about berry success like zuckerburg was for facebook when it was in infant form.

I would have to disagree with your comment that Thor is like a just get it out there guy when he has been quoted in saying that he wants BB10 to be perfect (or near perfect) when they release it.
    06-05-12 08:09 PM
    I don't believe those hardcore iPhone buyers/rebuyers are the people RIM is targeting. Just as you mentioned it would be a waste of time.
    You are correct that RIM would not (I hope) make a concerted effort at targeting the intractable
    iPhone fans. The point I was trying to make was more along the lines that CB members who think
    timing the release of the BB10 device in an attempt at undercutting the iPhone 5 is short sighted
    and will kind of be seen as an act of desperation on the part of RIM.
    06-05-12 10:07 PM
    Well this thread has opened my eyes a little. I listen to podcasts and hear what others say on the crackberry team side of things and it is pretty similar to what you guys are saying.

I just hope rim has some heavy hitters like instagram,netflix, a multi video chat client (bbm,skype,oovoo and others) hulu, facebook twitter angry birds, draw something,cut the rope and some of the other major things people use for fun and for productivity.

I think if they show some vids using most of those apps and to say "they're here on the new redesigned and restructured blackberry" that may bring some new people over. Then some commercials showing the multitasking skills of the monster qnx system for the business owners and runners.

They just can't try to appeal to 1 geo anymore. We want adults and kids on blackberry. Not just adults.

06-05-12 10:36 PM
    Marketing has been one of the areas that RIM has always fallen down on so I'd love to see some
    of your ideas incorporated in an ad campaign.

Where I really think they can make their mark is by showing off BB social integration and for the
    love of all things holy, show real people in real situations using the BB to make their lives
    simpler / easier / more productive / more fun.

They must not make the mistake of trying to point out why they are different from iOS or
    Android. Focus on what BB is and nothing else.
    06-05-12 10:51 PM
    Yea like show a person texting you and then wanting to vid chat. Launch the hopefully ported over Skype app or even just through BBm or a native vid chat.

Have another commercial of someone watching Netflix and thy get an email. Swipe the screen to see who it's from while Netflix is still running. All of course with the sweet new keyboard.

I know a new android phone has the same idea of the camera thing but if blackberry markets the crap out of it people will start to believe its the only one out there. Kind of like how apple people think iMessage is a genius idea and we've had it on Berrys for our lifetime.

Sent from my blabbering thumbs using Tapatalk
    06-09-12 11:16 PM
    All mobile device makers have to be watching Apple not only for iOS6 but also for device release such as the inevitable Apple mini. By the way is there a forum discussing tablet use for educational purposes which includes experience of actual teachers as well as of parents with one or two kids. And don't argue about whether the little rascals can only use one brand or operating system.
    06-10-12 01:02 AM
    I think at this point it is too early for RIM to even know what week they can release BB10. The carriers have to test and certify things. Remember with OS7 there were all kinds of rumors about pushing back the dates due to the carriers not approving things.

Yes I know -- the radio stack on BB10 is new, supposedly easier to certify. Just saying... it is a ways off.

And Apple typically is not going to tip their hand until what a month out or less? RIM waiting for that might complicate things. I think RIM is not really waiting for Apple.

Yeah Apple is pretty notorious for unveiling new phones/devices then releasing them two weeks later.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-10-12 01:06 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD