Hey folks,

I know it happened a while ago in a key note speech. I completely forgot who said it, but I think it was Lazaridis that said RIM invented the smartphone. Can someone confirm please if it was him or someone else?

Would appreciate it!
    02-12-11 02:36 PM
    In 1994, IBM and BellSouth introduced a combination phone and PDA called the Simon Personal Communicator. Often touted as the first smartphone, ...
    Read more: Smartphone: Information from Answers.com

I can find no available evidence that it was referred to as a "Smartphone", at that time.

Geek.com PDA Review: Ericsson R380 Smartphone

Reviewer: David Bowman
    Posted: 11/24/00

Ericsson R380

A very wireless Internet connectivity-oriented smartphone that delivers essential communication in a small package, along with basic PDA/PIM functions ...
    Kyocera Communications, Inc.

Press Releases

06/13/01 Kyocera's QCP 6035 Smartphone Receives 3G Industry Achievement Award from the CDMA Development Group

Innovative Palm Powered™ handset points the way in wireless phone development ...
    02-12-11 02:42 PM
    Forbes India - The End Is Near: Blackberry’s GRIM Reaper Story

Your answer is half way down this page.
    Last edited by Mr One 2; 02-12-11 at 03:04 PM.
    02-12-11 02:59 PM
    correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the first smart phone was the Nokia 6330

I had this phone when it was released and it was the first Nokia phone to offer a 1.3 Megapixel camera when no other phones had a megapixel camera to start with. And it offered 3G speeds and video calling support.
    02-12-11 03:04 PM
    correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the first smart phone was the Nokia 6330

I had this phone when it was released and it was the first Nokia phone to offer a 1.3 Megapixel camera when no other phones had a megapixel camera to start with. And it offered 3G speeds and video calling support.
    I was just reading up on this and some say it was a Microsoft phone called Simon and other say the nokia 9000. Also Jim balsillie from rim said they "practically" invented the smartphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-11 03:09 PM
    My-Symbian.com - Symbian OS Series 60 1st & 2nd Edition Software and News

Introduction/Reviews of Series 60 smartphones

The Nokia 6630 is Nokia's first 3G phone based on Symbian OS 8.0a. ...
    expected to be available in the fourth quarter of 2004. ...
    A questions like this beg for access to IBM Watson, the Jeopardy playing 'puter that will take on the reigning champions Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter for a $1,000,000 prize.

02-12-11 03:32 PM
    It was the IBM Simon that was debut in 1992, and the Nokia Communicator 9000, that started production on 1996. The word smartphone is anybody's guess, but my money is on a teenager with thick rimmed glasses.
    02-12-11 06:26 PM
    That's what I was looking, thank you.
    02-12-11 06:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD