Make the passport a full screen with virtual keyboard like the 6 plus and I might be interested. Otherwise...Not.

"Dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    09-16-14 07:21 PM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Very smart of BlackBerry ceo Chen to roll out two awesome keyboard phones....solidify that market and you can do extremely well....

Rock solid base from which to build....

... from my z30 (soon awesome Passport)

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    09-16-14 07:30 PM
    I am using a z30 at the moment and I did order an iPhone 6 because I am tech junkie and I use Apple I Mac's in my desktop publishing business. I did not get the 6 plus because I honestly think the larger screen will be a pain for folks with small hands, I think the fad of the bigger iPhone will wear off after the reality of using the device as their daily driver sets in. Just my two cents.

Sent from my Lovely z30 on T Mobile USA (10.3.0.1154)
    Last edited by bakron1; 09-17-14 at 02:48 AM.
    09-16-14 07:34 PM
    Just a quick question... the ipad has no keyboard...the onscreen keyboard is good but why does ipad have a detachable keyboard? After all people don't need keyboards?

Am I right?

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    You do remember that Blackberry openly stated that no phone could succeed without a keyboard and that no one would buy it? So a company isn't allowed to change its stance based on changing times? If that was the case then you'd be sporting a Blackberry Curve running OS7infinity.
    09-16-14 07:49 PM
    The thing with many "phablets" and even larger phones that aren't quite "phablet" sized have a one handed use feature that pushes the virtual keys off to one side for improved one handed use.
    I wouldn't call it a "feature". It is a one-handed use compromise, just like the virtual keyboard is a compromise.

The "feature" is the large screen, to which everything else is subservient, these days. Hence, for those like me who prefer the touch and feel physical keys over the antiseptic blandness of virtual keyboards, pickings are thin.
    09-16-14 07:59 PM
    I wouldn't call it a "feature". It is a one-handed use compromise, just like the virtual keyboard is a compromise.

The "feature" is the large screen, to which everything else is subservient, these days. Hence, for those like me who prefer the touch and feel physical keys over the antiseptic blandness of virtual keyboards, pickings are thin.
    Just because you prefer a physical keyboard doesn't make a virtual keyboard a compromise. I'll take a virtual keyboard and can type more accurately and faster any day of the week over a physical one.
    09-16-14 08:27 PM
    Just because you prefer a physical keyboard doesn't make a virtual keyboard a compromise. I'll take a virtual keyboard and can type more accurately and faster any day of the week over a physical one.
    Ditto. I would rather not use a physical keyboard if I could help it.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    09-16-14 09:41 PM
    Just because you prefer a physical keyboard doesn't make a virtual keyboard a compromise.
    What part of "I wouldn't call it...." and "...for those like me..." don't you get? Read carefully. I made sure to not make a general statement.

Again, why don't people read? I said nothing about accuracy and speed. I talked about touch and feel. I assume that you know the difference, even if it doesn't mean much to you.

You use what you like and I'll use what I like.
    Last edited by clickitykeys; 09-16-14 at 11:31 PM.
    acovey and spikesolie like this.
    09-16-14 10:42 PM
    Not being able to turn your smartphone sideways and use it in landscape mode is a compromise.
    09-16-14 10:45 PM
    With the huge difference that the Apple device has no physical keyboard, which makes it about 99% more appealing to everyone...

Posted via CB10
    Don't prosume to answer for everyone. I decide for me NOT you and I don't type on glass.
    09-16-14 11:37 PM
    Not being able to turn your smartphone sideways and use it in landscape mode is a compromise.
    All touch devices are little TV's that some times are used as phones, NOW thats a compromise.
    09-16-14 11:58 PM
    Ditto. I would rather not use a physical keyboard if I could help it.
    Which is why the Passport annoys me.
    I would have bought a Z50 without even thinking about it...
    The Passport oth, is something I have to try out.

Don't prosume to answer for everyone. I decide for me NOT you and I don't type on glass.
    Which is why I said "99%" and "about".
    I thought that would leave enough room for the keyboard lovers, but apparently you represent more than about 1%.

All touch devices are little TV's that some times are used as phones, NOW thats a compromise.
    A "compromise" 99% of the market is gladly willing to make.
    Those guys and girls would describe a keyboard that never hides itself when not being necessary, a huge "compromise".

Posted via CB10
    m1a1mg and tinochiko like this.
    09-17-14 02:29 AM
    Which is why I said "99%" and "about".
    I thought that would leave enough room for the keyboard lovers, but apparently you represent more than about 1%.
    Not his fault, as your post said:
    "About 99% more appealing to everyone" which technically means "about 99% more appealing to 100% of all people".

He merely responded to your incorrectly constructed sentence, which changes the meaning.

:-)
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    09-17-14 02:51 AM

Agreed.

I once owned BB with physical keyboards mostly because I could bash out emails really fast. The iPhone 3GS I briefly tried was painful to use - s..l..o..w..l..y picking out each letter on the glass keyboard soon had me reaching back for my BB.

Then came swiftkey and I can "type" faster than I *ever* could on a PKB just by dragging my finger around the screen. Using wordflow (winphone's equivalent) on my 1520 is a joy... I'll never go back to a PKB. It's lost its speed advantage, and the loss of screen space a PKB takes up is a major disadvantage to me.
    09-17-14 03:00 AM
    Not his fault, as your post said:
    "About 99% more appealing to everyone" which technically means "about 99% more appealing to 100% of all people".

He merely responded to your incorrectly constructed sentence, which changes the meaning.

:-)
    I'll give you that one
    You are correct, that I haven't written exactly what I meant.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 04:09 AM
    I shifted from an iPhone the other year to an S3 then to a Note 2 then to an S4 and then to my current Note 3 last January. I just got my Q10 as a secondary handset last July. The Q10 goes to my pocket and has become my go to device for all communications needs. The Note 3 stays in my field bag most of the day. It's always a pain now to have to take it out of the bag.

The Q10 is the perfect size and form factor for a core handset. I still love my Note 3, but the Q10 has already supplanted it as my productivity tool.

Posted via CB10
    I also have a Note 3 and love it! So much so that I really don't see myself ever getting another smartphone that is not from the Note line. I actually don't think the team "phablet" exists anymore, for many people a smartphone is a device that is between 5-6 inches.
    I'm excited to see the passport although it isn't as big as 5 inches, it's still a large device.

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    09-17-14 06:53 AM
    Agreed.

I once owned BB with physical keyboards mostly because I could bash out emails really fast. The iPhone 3GS I briefly tried was painful to use - s..l..o..w..l..y picking out each letter on the glass keyboard soon had me reaching back for my BB.

Then came swiftkey and I can "type" faster than I *ever* could on a PKB just by dragging my finger around the screen. Using wordflow (winphone's equivalent) on my 1520 is a joy... I'll never go back to a PKB. It's lost its speed advantage, and the loss of screen space a PKB takes up is a major disadvantage to me.
    Swiftkey is truly amazing. I can type with incredible speed and accuracy and I find it fun to use. Swype is also pretty amazing for the dedicated swiper it's just not as pretty.

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    09-17-14 07:00 AM
    Going through various threads on different topics on CB for the past few months taught me that apparently we all have to agree that BlackBerrys is an inrepairable sinking ship making wrong decisions and there's no other solution for upcomimg market relevant devices than highest end all touch phones with metal design at very low prices running Android. Ok? So let's just move on and stop discussing, there's barely any thread left open that isn't annoying for the very same reasons.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 08:32 AM
43 12