Steve Jobs

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 05:14 PM
    I strongly doubt that most bbry managers have even heard of Crackberry never mind consider it a source of testing.
    Most R&D groups have many young, bright, enthusiasts - and security is never as tight as it could /should be.
    Just guessing though...
    Well the ceo knows about crackberry....

From zee coolest flicking smartphone ever
    00stryder likes this.
    03-25-14 05:17 PM
    Those who do actually know can't say...
    anon(5906760) and 00stryder like this.
    03-25-14 05:20 PM
    Those who do actually know can't say...
    Cumooon give us a hint hahah

Posted via CB10
    Mangelhaft likes this.
    03-25-14 05:26 PM
    From an engineering standpoint, it is impossible to create every situation in a lab. There is a near infinite combination of settings and loaded apps. Therefore, I conclude that all the Α testing is done in the labs, and the OSs are leaked for broad Β testing.
    03-25-14 05:49 PM
    Well the ceo knows about crackberry....

From zee coolest flicking smartphone ever
    Yes, so what?
    There is just no way blackberry engineers are officially scouring Crackberry threads for release feedback. They beta test internally (with employees) and have proper fault logging /tracking systems.
    03-25-14 06:26 PM
    Heh. Your ignorance is amusing

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 06:29 PM
    So with BlackBerry OS 10.3 being leaked, I began to wonder: Who is Responsible for OS Leaks and Why do They do it? I'm just curious and I have some immediate postulates:

1. They are leaked by BlackBerry's R&D or Quality team to secretly get feedback from a larger sample of BlackBerry users
    2. Enthusiastic BlackBerry employees go against protocol and leak these Operating Systems just for the sheer desire of sharing it with other BlackBerry enthusiasts
    3. A rogue BlackBerry employee (or rogue employees) leak the OSes to a friend, who gives it another friend, who gives it to another friend, who gives it to another friend, who uploads it to a website where CrackBerry users and others can get it.

If anyone is more knowledgeable as to why OS builds are leaked, I would love to hear your take. I would love to hear any other plausible theories.

(please don't say things like a BlackBerry research monkey stole a banana with an SD card inside it that contains the OS files; the monkey eats the bananas and defecates where the SD card is mixed in with fecal matter and a traveler steps in monkey poo, realizes an SD card is on the bottom of his shoe, picks it out, goes home and tries it and realizes that a BlackBerry OS is contained therein.)
    Who is Responsible for OS Leaks and Why do They do it?-img_20140326_020423_edit.png

... I could not resist... sorry...
    Found in the net... selling on eBay... nothing to do with stepping...
    Just for fun, but the "clichee" is there!

I agree with Jaydee... It is a sort of beta-testing, I am glad it exists... If I could afford it, I would buy a cheap device to install leaks on it, so that I can detect errors/issues and participate in getting solution to them... Issues have to be detected to be prevented... I am considering to get a Z3 for that purpose... however not cheap enough ;-)

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2102
    Nharzhool likes this.
    03-25-14 08:14 PM
    I strongly doubt that most bbry managers have even heard of Crackberry never mind consider it a source of testing.
    Most R&D groups have many young, bright, enthusiasts - and security is never as tight as it could /should be.
    Just guessing though...
    I was talking to BlackBerry the other day about AT&T and was telling him about all the complaint on CB and he told me that the we're well aware of what was being said on CB. He also said they work with CB. Take that for what it's worth. However my own opinion is to test it with some of us and read the feedback. That being said I would like to know the real answer also.

Rockin Z30 on 10.2.1.2234 on AT&T
    03-25-14 08:39 PM
    Yes, so what?
    There is just no way blackberry engineers are officially scouring Crackberry threads for release feedback. They beta test internally (with employees) and have proper fault logging /tracking systems.
    From what I've seen around here, BlackBerry is well aware of CrackBerry according to ex-employees. It used to be so strict at a point that anyone who accessed CrackBerry while in the workplace would be terminated and that there were employees that would monitor BlackBerry fan forums. Most of them make accounts on here after they've stopped working for BlackBerry, so BlackBerry is well aware of what potential they have with CrackBerry and their forums

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 08:56 PM
    S�bastien morineau-mes, vp

Better android than android. The future is black....
    03-25-14 10:12 PM
    Why can't just Beta Zone the OS Builds? At a certain milestone, they can do UAT already. It also saves time from Carrier testing.

Z30 | Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.2228 | Globe PH
    03-25-14 10:28 PM
    Aliens and/or Ninjas.......
    03-25-14 10:49 PM
    I prefer the monkey theory...
    But then I think BlackBerry knows of these leaks and we are the beta testers.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 10:55 PM
    They have plans why they leak the OS, to secure that a certain features on the software were implemented first before other competitors will copy it. Just like some features of the 10.3 now. Imagine if they will release the updates of 10.3 after 4 months, ios or android might copy those and tell the world that they invented it first.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 11:20 PM
    Why pay people to test when you can get others to do it for free!
    00stryder likes this.
    03-25-14 11:25 PM
    From what I've seen around here, BlackBerry is well aware of CrackBerry according to ex-employees. It used to be so strict at a point that anyone who accessed CrackBerry while in the workplace would be terminated and that there were employees that would monitor BlackBerry fan forums. Most of them make accounts on here after they've stopped working for BlackBerry, so BlackBerry is well aware of what potential they have with CrackBerry and their forums

Posted via CB10
    I am ex-BlackBerry. In the time I was there I never heard any manager mention Crackberry, never saw a single email mention it, I had a Crackberry account while working there too. Just my corner of the empire though.
    eldricho likes this.
    03-26-14 02:34 AM
    USB drives left in the CrackBerry parking lot?

Posted via CB10 on a Z10
    KemKev likes this.
    03-26-14 04:24 AM
    I couldn't care less so long as they keep the leaks going. I enjoy the challenge of getting the leak working.

Posted via ZedTen
    03-26-14 04:36 AM
    I am ex-BlackBerry. In the time I was there I never heard any manager mention Crackberry, never saw a single email mention it, I had a Crackberry account while working there too. Just my corner of the empire though.
    You may not have heard it mentioned but do you think managers and execs know it exists and that there may be some employees tasked to monitor it? I remember several years ago when the site vault.com became popular. I never heard any managers speaking directly about that either but it was pretty common knowledge that the site was out there and people were anonymously posting about our company.

Z10
    spikesolie likes this.
    03-26-14 05:12 AM
    I used to work at blackberry and once I heard that

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 08:02 AM
    I can tell you exactly why there are OS leaks here, Blackberry is addicted to it!
    03-26-14 09:15 AM
    So with BlackBerry OS 10.3 being leaked, I began to wonder: Who is Responsible for OS Leaks and Why do They do it?

<snip>

(please don't say things like a BlackBerry research monkey stole a banana with an SD card inside it that contains the OS files; the monkey eats the bananas and defecates where the SD card is mixed in with fecal matter and a traveler steps in monkey poo, realizes an SD card is on the bottom of his shoe, picks it out, goes home and tries it and realizes that a BlackBerry OS is contained therein.)
    Since you already said it, I'm not going to bother repeating it

Seriously though, we can speculate all we want and maybe the truth is a combination of things but as long as no employee gets fired in the process, I say "bring on the leaks!"
    03-26-14 09:22 AM
    hello
    controlled leaks are sneaky and funny to me, sure its neat to see stuff and opinions and free testers get out there but..
    on the flip side berry is all about control and security but to me it appears that berry has no control internally and lack of internals security to let things like this happen
    thats how i see leaks!
    03-26-14 09:29 AM
    I am ex-BlackBerry. In the time I was there I never heard any manager mention Crackberry, never saw a single email mention it.
    interesting, kind of suprized but i would assume that specific departments must be accessing its a wealth of options and user experience
    03-26-14 09:31 AM
88 1234