Heard from a friend who's testing the onyx that the trackpad is a hit or miss...if anything RIM needs 2 bring sexy back aka SIDESCROLL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-09 03:06 PM
    If it ain't broke, then why fix it?

Although with competitive forces growing which necessitates change, I'm willing to try!
    09-16-09 03:09 PM
    I was in a T-Mobile store the other day trying out the 8520 (is that the right number?) just for the fun of it and I have to say that the trackpad was f'ing nice. I almost instantly fell in love with it. It worked just like a trackball but better. Whenever I finally get rid of my Tour, I'll only be interested in a trackpad BB.

09-16-09 05:24 PM
    Ive never used a track pad before but im willing to give it a try
    09-16-09 06:05 PM
    i think with some spare time tomorrow i may swing into a tmo store but well see
    09-16-09 07:13 PM
    I just think the trackpad was something that rim is doing to stop all the dirty trackball problems that happen over time.

09-16-09 09:33 PM
    I was at a T-Mobile store this evening, setting up a new line and picking up my daughter's first phone. While there, I tried out the BB with the new trackpad -- I fully expected to be disappointed, having been using BB trackballs since first moving away from the wheel on the 8700. Wow -- the trackpad blew me away. Worked perfectly, and my first impression is that it will be far more reliable and consistent than the trackball.

I'll be curious to keep up with actual users' feedback over the coming months. I'm not due for an upgrade for a while, and I'm still enjoying my 8900. But when it's time for the next BB, I'll definitely consider a trackpad device.
    09-16-09 09:56 PM
    Haven't tried a trackpad but eager to. Extended use of the trackball leaves my thumbs sore sometimes. Even if the trackpad is a great experience its not enough of a change for me to go through the hassle and $$ of switching BBs.
    09-16-09 10:00 PM
    I am more or less neutral in regards to the trackpad, I just want something that is intuitive and reliable as I know very little about those two requirements and the trackpad I don't yet have a preference, but if it works great then by all means I will get on board.

09-16-09 11:06 PM
    A lot of people said the same thing about the trackball and a majority ended up liking (and even loving) it. I feel the same will happen with the trackpad, except, it will be liked a bit more.
    09-16-09 11:14 PM
    My father has an 8520 curve and i must say the trackpad is not that bad, definetly need time to get use to it though, im so use to using the trackball. (although i wont miss the trackball getting dirty and stuck) when i eventually upgrade.
    09-16-09 11:43 PM
    not seen one but as a guy with big hands it would have to be pretty large to be useful for me. what's going away to make room?
    09-17-09 12:26 AM
    Tried both of them out, I much prefer the trackball. Great feel, and look. Mine hasn't broke yet (mind you I have had my curve for a week now) and imstill in love with it.
    09-17-09 02:39 AM
    Now in all the phones out today who has ever seen a waterproof one. Honestly if you think a trackpad will waterproof your phone then you my friend are deranged. If they made a waterproof phone then boobe would have to buy new ones when they get a phone wet,
    The only way to water proof any electronic is with rubber seals at all connetions (where the casing goes together, key pad, navigation device, etc...) by the time they did all that the price would go from 400 to 1000+ per phone.
    I for one don't like trackpads but if it works I will use it if it all blackberry offrees at the time I get a new phone.

09-17-09 07:02 AM
    not seen one but as a guy with big hands it would have to be pretty large to be useful for me. what's going away to make room?
    I've got pretty large hands also, but found that the trackpad was actually just as easy, if not easier, to use than the trackball in the few mins I spent trying one out. Worth spending a bit of time in a T-Mobile store to try one out live to see if it works for you.

I went through the typical learning curves with Blackberry's -- first getting used to my first 8700 with the track-wheel. Then adjusting from the track-wheel to the trackball -- tough at first, but now I wouldn't want to go back to the wheel. I suspect moving to the trackpad will be similar -- a bit awkward at first, but something totally natural after a short time.
    09-17-09 07:07 AM
    Now in all the phones out today who has ever seen a waterproof one. Honestly if you think a trackpad will waterproof your phone then you my friend are deranged. If they made a waterproof phone then boobe would have to buy new ones when they get a phone wet,
    The only way to water proof any electronic is with rubber seals at all connetions (where the casing goes together, key pad, navigation device, etc...) by the time they did all that the price would go from 400 to 1000+ per phone.
    I for one don't like trackpads but if it works I will use it if it all blackberry offrees at the time I get a new phone.

A trackpad, alone, will certainly not make a Blackberry waterproof. No doubt that making a waterproof Blackberry would mean making one that's bulkier than what we're used to today. But the price point wouldn't necessarily have to jump drastically. A good example of modern waterproof personal electronics can be seen with the Canon PowerShot D10 waterproof camera. It's incredibly rugged (waterproof / freezeproof / shockproof), only a bit bigger than a normal digital camera with comparable features, and can be bought for about $275 (US). Here's a link to a review on Engadget:
    Canon PowerShot D10 review

It looks like this.

09-17-09 07:42 AM
    Sweet camera, but you are my point the trackpad is not gonna waterproof a blackberry. Water can and will get in and crack or hole that is there, even if you can't see it. And most waterproof electronics have to be worked on and or serviced by a professional because the slightest tear or pinhole in or around the seals and you can forget it, without a new seal or un the case you damage the casing around near the seal it will never be waterproof again.
    And yes waterproof devices are larger and bulkier than the originals

09-17-09 08:52 AM
    i love my TB but my bold is still fairly new so i fear the TB dirt coming soon to my Bold. can't wait to try to the TP.
    09-17-09 08:58 AM
    i would try a trackpad but i'm in no hurry. i'm sure i would miss the trackball. do the trackpads light up as well? if not, i'm sure we'd miss being able to customize the colors.
    09-17-09 11:20 AM
    Would the TrackPad be clickable? How woud you click?

jr
    09-17-09 11:23 AM
    If it is like a laptop track pad then you just tap the pad to click,

09-17-09 11:28 AM
    Would the TrackPad be clickable? How woud you click?

jr
    just aks that guy with the onyx.
    09-17-09 12:50 PM
    does the pad light up like the ball does?
    09-17-09 01:06 PM
    Rather then making a waterproof trackpad, by changing to trackpad you'll be able to use a standard waterproof cover. The trackball doesn't allow this.
    For this reason alone I vote for trackpad.

09-17-09 02:11 PM
    Rather then making a waterproof trackpad, by changing to trackpad you'll be able to use a standard waterproof cover. The trackball doesn't allow this.
    For this reason alone I vote for trackpad.

Do we know that for a fact? Depends on what kind of technology the trackpad uses. If it's a capacitance-based proximity sensor like the iPod, then a thin skin would probably still work. I just wouldn't count on this until we know for sure.
    09-17-09 02:54 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD