Hey CB. Alright, well as some of you know I along with a few other members help a lot with people upgrading their OS. However, with the new Official 4.5 OS's coming out, we now have more people than EVER upgrading their SW. As you can imagine most are new and have never done this before. And they're having MAJOR problems. The main problem I am seeing is that the DM is not prompting them for an update, and this is caused by the Vendor XML NOT being deleted. They just can't find it. I am not familiar with Vista so I need some people who have Vista to please tell me where the Vendor XML file is located in Vista. In XP and older the Vendor XML file can be found in C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Applo ader. Well, this obviously is not the case in Vista. I believe I've read it's hidden somewhere. So this is what I need:

I need a few different people with Vista to tell me where to find the Vendor XML file in Vista. Please keep in mind, that this information is going to be posted in all the stickies so it HAS TO BE CORRECT. I will read all the posts but there has to be a CONSENSUS. Thank you for all your help, this information will help out a lot of members!!!
    10-05-08 09:32 AM
    The directory that you listed is exactly where you will find the vendor file in Vista.
    10-05-08 09:34 AM
    The directory that you listed is exactly where you will find the vendor file in Vista.
    Thank you for the reply, but I've told members with Vista to look right there and they claim it's not there. I'm not there with them so I don't know, and I can't tell them they don't know what they're talking about. I've seen quite a few people say it's in hidden files or folders. Thanks for your input, and I will take note.
    10-05-08 09:36 AM
    its in the same directory as XP. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
    10-05-08 09:36 AM
    Ok, that's 2. Wow. In the 83xx sub-forum in the newest OS sticky, there are tons of people with Vista claiming it's not in that spot. I dunno. But thanks and I will take note.
    10-05-08 09:38 AM
    Yup, just checked on my copy of Vista 32-bit business, and its in the same spot: C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\AppLo ader
    10-05-08 09:38 AM
    Wow. Thanks. Here are some screenshots from some people who have Vista claiming it's not there.

Thanks for the input, will take note.
    10-05-08 09:40 AM
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
    They also need to ensure they have at least 4.5 of the DM
    10-05-08 09:43 AM
    There are two significant variants of MS Vista and they store their files differently.

Vista 32 (which is what most of us have) stores its programs just as Windows XP does so the Vendor.xml file may be found at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader.

Vista 64 is not widely installed but is out there and it splits its Program File folder into two types of programs. There are 64 bit programs that do not concern this thread and 32 bit programs which include all BlackBerry programs. Both Desktop Manager and OSs fall into this category. These programs can be found under C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader.

If you use a multi-boot system (Linux / Windows) then your Windows boot drive may well be different from C:

CrackMem handles this without fault since this is programmed into it.
    10-05-08 09:44 AM
    Wow. Thanks. Here are some screenshots from some people who have Vista claiming it's not there.

X~ I just wanna know what program you're running for your windows desktop? (humble apologies for thread jackin'!)
    10-05-08 09:47 AM
    And just in case the files are hidden,
    Show hidden files

Follow these steps to display hidden files and folders.

Click to open Folder Options.

Click the View tab.

Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.
    10-05-08 09:51 AM
    There are two significant variants of MS Vista and they store their files differently.

Vista 32 (which is what most of us have) stores its programs just as Windows XP does so the Vendor.xml file may be found at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader.

Vista 64 is not widely installed but is out there and it splits its Program File folder into two types of programs. There are 64 bit programs that do not concern this thread and 32 bit programs which include all BlackBerry programs. Both Desktop Manager and OSs fall into this category. These programs can be found under C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader.

If you use a multi-boot system (Linux / Windows) then your Windows boot drive may well be different from C:

CrackMem handles this without fault since this is programmed into it.
    Thanks Pete, I just don't get why they are having such a problem finding the Vendor XML file. It baffles me.

X~ I just wanna know what program you're running for your windows desktop? (humble apologies for thread jackin'!)
    Scan, I use XP. I can't stand Vista.
    10-05-08 09:52 AM
    Quick question for you Pete. If Vista 32 is basically the norm for Vista, then while is finding the vendor.xml so hard? Is it possible that it's hidden? I forget the path to unhide system files, but I'm thinking that may be why some people see it & some dont.

10-05-08 09:52 AM
    Quick question for you Pete. If Vista 32 is basically the norm for Vista, then while is finding the vendor.xml so hard? Is it possible that it's hidden? I forget the path to unhide system files, but I'm thinking that may be why some people see it & some dont.

I can confirm on my Vista desktop, it is not a hidden file, nor is it in a hidden folder.

Maybe its because Vista is a bit different than XP and some people have trouble navigating the folders on it? It is strange that some people seem to have trouble finding the file.
    10-05-08 09:54 AM
    Yeah, that's not my screenshot Scan. But I also use Google Chrome also. Like you mentioned about the paths, some users are claiming it's in hidden files and folders. I'm just trying to find a solution, because there are quite a few members having this problem.
    10-05-08 09:55 AM
    And just in case the files are hidden,
    Show hidden files

Follow these steps to display hidden files and folders.

Click to open Folder Options.

Click the View tab.

Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.
    THATS IT!!
    10-05-08 09:55 AM
    Yeah, that's not my screenshot Scan. But I also use Google Chrome also. Like you mentioned about the paths, some users are claiming it's in hidden files and folders. I'm just trying to find a solution, because there are quite a few members having this problem.
    I did try the Google Chrome browser; but I'm so used to Safari that I dont think about GC. I was referring to your actual desktop. Looking at the widgets you have on your desktop I thought you were using a program.

EDIT....yeah, that's not my screenshot Scan. Brain a tad slow right now.
    10-05-08 09:58 AM
    Thank you all for your input. I've been soooo frustrated lately!! They want to upgrade pretty bad, but can't find it, and most have given up. Atleast now when I try an help I now have something to reference. Thanks a bunch, a lot of members will benefit from this thread.
    10-05-08 10:03 AM
    Awesome use of the collective brain CX.

10-05-08 10:16 AM
    I just created a new user account on my Vista system. I created a Standard User account (not Administrator) and tried to find Vendor.xml. It was just as easy as finding it under my normal Administrator account.

The only thing that I can think of is that Vista, like XP, comes as standard with 'Hide extensions for known file types' turned off. In other words, the user will only see a file called Vendor, not Vendor.xml. The file extension (.xml) will not be displayed by default in either system.

The fix (in Vista and XP although it's easier in XP) is to open Control Panel and select Appearance and Personalization. Now select Folder Options and then View in the new panel. Now uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types'. Now when you go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader you will see Vendor.xml. It is the only thing that I can think of.

There was no question of enablig viewing Hidden or System files on either XP or Vista. I have both systems here running on identical Dell laptop PCs. A test could not be done under closer conditions.
    Last edited by Pete6; 10-05-08 at 10:27 AM.
    10-05-08 10:21 AM
    Awesome use of the collective brain CX.
    Brane, brane, wossa brane?
    10-05-08 10:26 AM
    A correctly installed copy of CrackMem does it all for you under any system (XP, Vista 32, Vista 64, multi-boot) I spent ages finding out what all these systems did and have now coded all these options into the program. Now you instal the program, set it up to run as Administrator Instructions in the Help file) and run it.

For me, CrackMem is by far the easiset way to upgrade but then, I am probably biased.
    10-05-08 10:31 AM
    A correctly installed copy of CrackMem does it all for you under any system (XP, Vista 32, Vista 64, multi-boot) I spent ages finding out what all these systems did and have now coded all these options into the program. Now you instal the program, set it up to run as Administrator Instructions in the Help file) and run it.

For me, CrackMem is by far the easiset way to upgrade but then, I am probably biased.
    Thanks for all your input Pete!! But from now on, I will suggest Crackmem.
    And thanks Reed.
    10-05-08 10:41 AM
    The fix (in Vista and XP although it's easier in XP) is to open Control Panel and select Appearance and Personalization. Now select Folder Options and then View in the new panel. Now uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types'. Now when you go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader you will see Vendor.xml. It is the only thing that I can think of.
    So that's where its hidden in Vista. Thanks Pete6

The other settings (hidden, etc) might be relevant for a few, and it might even be necessary to turn on display of 'System' files. In XP this is 'Hide protected operatinng system files' but I have no idea where in Vista. I know a few cases where the OS (XP) decides a particular 3-character filename extension is a system file even when the SH attributes are not set. The weird thing is it seems to hit some systems and not others with nominally identical setup. (The one I see most is .vdr files)
    10-05-08 11:19 AM
    So that's where its hidden in Vista. Thanks Pete6

The other settings (hidden, etc) might be relevant for a few, and it might even be necessary to turn on display of 'System' files. In XP this is 'Hide protected operatinng system files' but I have no idea where in Vista. I know a few cases where the OS (XP) decides a particular 3-character filename extension is a system file even when the SH attributes are not set. The weird thing is it seems to hit some systems and not others with nominally identical setup. (The one I see most is .vdr files)
    I have 5 - XP systems here and one single Vista 32 system. I understand what your are saying but I canot for the life of me, re-produce it. On any Vista (mine or my customers') I can click on Computer, C:, Program Files, Common Files and navigate around. Obviously not ALL my customers have BlackBerry OSs installed - silly people.

From now on I am going to try ths on every single Vista system I get near (about 4 a week) and report back here.

This should not happen but, there's a reason that I run mainly Xp....
    10-05-08 12:10 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD