A correctly installed copy of CrackMem does it all for you under any system (XP, Vista 32, Vista 64, multi-boot) I spent ages finding out what all these systems did and have now coded all these options into the program. Now you instal the program, set it up to run as Administrator Instructions in the Help file) and run it.

For me, CrackMem is by far the easiset way to upgrade but then, I am probably biased.
    I find your program just amazing. I went from having an average of 12MB free to 21MB on my 8830 after using CrackMem to get rid of all the junk!
    10-05-08 12:21 PM
    I believe Pete already mentioned it was C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader.

The biggest repetitive PEBKAC error i've seen is people not reading "Common Files" and going strait to the Research in Motion folder.

ie: going to C:\Program Files\Research In Motion and then getting confused

if not this then some people have a cognitive dissonance issue, they are looking for their keys while their keys are in their hand.
    10-05-08 01:15 PM
    the location you listed is correct under he Windows Vista O.S. and it iss NOT a hidden file or contained in a hidden folder
    10-05-08 01:19 PM
    I believe Pete already mentioned it was C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader.

The biggest repetitive PEBKAC error i've seen is people not reading "Common Files" and going strait to the Research in Motion folder.

ie: going to C:\Program Files\Research In Motion and then getting confused

if not this then some people have a cognitive dissonance issue, they are looking for their keys while their keys are in their hand.
    I believe that you may have this issue to rights. There has to be an explanation and they either have, as you suggest, a cognitive dissonance disorder or, they have over imbibed of the amber beverage and are thus cross-eyed.
    10-05-08 01:31 PM
    I believe that you may have this issue to rights. There has to be an explanation and they either have, as you suggest, a cognitive dissonance disorder or, they have over imbibed of the amber beverage and are thus cross-eyed.
    Honestly I agree, but honestly, it's irrelevant. I can see that a new member maybe just got their device, or just found CB, and the thought of getting something better is overwhelming. Hence why they may overlook certain things. Regardless, sometimes it's frustrating, but we're here to help. Thanks again to all who replied.
    10-05-08 03:35 PM
    I've not read this entire thread. But, on Windows Vista, why not go to START / SEARCH, and enter the file name, it should find it in seconds, no?
    10-05-08 03:52 PM
    I've not read this entire thread. But, on Windows Vista, why not go to START / SEARCH, and enter the file name, it should find it in seconds, no?
    When helping people, I've asked them to do just that. But they say it doesn't find it. Then I ask them to search hidden files and folders, and the same thing. So I wanted to ask and get a consensus where it's at, so there can be no doubt to where it's located at. Trust me Navi, a lot of newer members have been having great difficulty finding the Vendor XML file in Vista. So frustrating. But this helps.
    10-05-08 03:56 PM
    It must be frustrating for you cruc! It is right where it is supposed to be on my Vista notebook.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-08 04:12 PM
    I just tried to make Vista search for 'Vendor' from START / SEARCH and it found a couple of files that I had in my C:\BlackBerry folder(s) but it never found any files that were in Program Files.

I tried to force this in Advanced Search but that did not work either.

It seems that Vista tries to 'help' users by not confusing them with silly details like the contents of Program Files, etc.

There is a reason that I run mostly XP. Today I read on Engadget that MS may extend the downdrade to XP offer until June 2009.

I have a number of customers who are buyng new PCs from me but are recycling their XP licenses rather than go to Vista.

All that aside, I think that the only way to find Vendor.xml is to know precisely where it is. There are two possible locations:
    Vista 32: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
    Vista 64: C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
    If the user has a multi-boot system then the only other thing the user need to know is the letter of the boot disk.
    10-05-08 04:19 PM
    Crucial, not disputing you, at all.

I work in I.T. and support people 24/7, so I know where you're coming from.

I've just tested on my two Vista pc (laptop and desktop), and the search function works, flawlessly. Weird...
    10-05-08 04:33 PM
    I think this will become more common as more and more 64 bit machines are sold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-08 04:33 PM
    Crucial, not disputing you, at all.

I work in I.T. and support people 24/7, so I know where you're coming from.

I've just tested on my two Vista pc (laptop and desktop), and the search function works, flawlessly. Weird...
    I just tried again. I have 2 accounts on my Vista system a User account called Test and my Administrator account (called Pete).

Typing Vendor in the Start / Search box does not find any Vendor or Vendor.xml files in Program Files in either account.

This is very wierd because my system is doing the exact opposite of naviwilliams's two systems.
    10-05-08 04:52 PM
    Well this thread here will be awesome. I've only used Vista briefly once or twice, and basically know nothing about it. So all of the information posted here will be a huge help when someone has a problem. Thanks again to all.
    10-05-08 05:27 PM
    I have 5 - XP systems here and one single Vista 32 system. I understand what your are saying but I canot for the life of me, re-produce it. On any Vista (mine or my customers') I can click on Computer, C:, Program Files, Common Files and navigate around. Obviously not ALL my customers have BlackBerry OSs installed - silly people.

From now on I am going to try ths on every single Vista system I get near (about 4 a week) and report back here.

This should not happen but, there's a reason that I run mainly Xp....
    You're right, it is a complete mystery why a few systems decide to class certain files or types as 'System'. Its something in registry, it has to be but I have no idea what or why it gets set. All I know is that sometimes we have to expose OS files on customer's computer, simply to view the data files created by equipment we support.

The ATTRIB command from a DOS prompt is a pretty handy tool too.
    10-05-08 06:39 PM
    When I upgraded to 4.5 I went to start and searched for the file and my laptop found it no prob. I run vista but I liked xp better I think.
    10-05-08 10:03 PM
    I think that I may have an explanation as to why my Vista system and naviwilliams 2 Vista systems differ in our search results.

I went to the Microsoft site and found this link You cannot find files when you search a Windows Vista-based computer even though the files exist on the computer from which here is an extract:

Cause 2: The file is located in a system folder

By default, when you try to find a file that is located on your computer, Windows Vista does not search system folders. System folders include the Program Files folder and the Windows folder. To search a system folder, use one of the following methods.

Method 1
    Search within the system folder that contains the file. For example, if you want to find the Shell32.dll file, do not search by using the Everywhere option. Instead, locate the Drive:\Windows folder, and then search for the Shell32.dll file.

Method 2
    Click Organize, and then click Folder and Search Options. In the Folder Options dialog box, click the Search tab, and then under When searching non-indexed locations, click to select the Include system directories check box.

The blue text is the part that is relevant to this thread.

I, like naviwilliams make my living in IT and I do not like it when a PC does not do what I ask it to do. Once I had done the above, my Vista system found Vendor in Program files. It was not neccessary to type Vendor.xml.

The search was done from a non-administrator account so once the relevant check-box is checked, Vendor.xml should be findable by all who seek.

Last edited by Pete6; 10-06-08 at 07:06 AM.
    10-06-08 03:31 AM
    i too have Vista and the file is in the AppLoader folder all the way down at the bottom. My DM didn't find my 4.5 os either. It told me no available updates. I clicked back to the Application Loader screen. I checked the AppLoader folder again and for some weird reason the vendor file was still there, so i deleted it again. I checked the recycle bin and i had 2 vendor files. Went back to DM and did the Update Apps again and finally the 4.5 OS update showed up. it was just wierd that i deleted the vendor file once and it showed up again.
    10-06-08 06:50 AM
    I have vista home premium and 32bit and it is in the same location as everyone else..
    10-06-08 08:58 AM
    I have vista home premium and 32bit and it is in the same location as everyone else..
    Can you please tell me if, on your system, the box I showed is checked in the last picture on my post. Thanks.
    10-06-08 09:41 AM
    Can you please tell me if, on your system, the box I showed is checked in the last picture on my post. Thanks.
    It wasn't... but i did not try and search then.. When I upgraded I was able to find the vendor file.

I did go in and change that option and it now comes up in search.. which now that i think about it why would it show up if it suppsed to be deleted??? Hmmm
    10-06-08 09:49 AM
    It wasn't... but i did not try and search then.. When I upgraded I was able to find the vendor file.

I did go in and change that option and it now comes up in search.. which now that i think about it why would it show up if it suppsed to be deleted??? Hmmm
    Thanks. What you say is in agreement with what I found.

What this thread is about is helping people in the future. Newbies (and no so Newbies) come along to CrackBerry and have a different PC OS to the person trying to help them so things get confusing. The helper says 'Go find your Vendor file, do this...' The user goes away and comes back and says 'Not there, now what?'

we are trying to find out exactly what needs to be done to any give Vista 32 bit system to find the Vendor.xml file with 100% success.

You have hleped that process. Have a cookie. Thank you.
    10-06-08 10:16 AM
    It could be that it says "Vender", and further over on the line is the "XML"
    10-06-08 01:57 PM
    [FONT="Tahoma"]Wow. Thanks. Here are some screenshots from some people who have Vista claiming it's not there.

Thanks for the input, will take note.
    You see where it says "compatibility files?" If you click on that, there is sometimes a vendor.xml file in there. I've used Crackmem and it seems to miss that vendor.xml file in there. Sorry, I didn't read the entire thread if this was already posted. Hope this helps.
    10-06-08 03:20 PM
    There are two significant variants of MS Vista and they store their files differently.

Vista 32 (which is what most of us have) stores its programs just as Windows XP does so the Vendor.xml file may be found at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader.

Vista 64 is not widely installed but is out there and it splits its Program File folder into two types of programs. There are 64 bit programs that do not concern this thread and 32 bit programs which include all BlackBerry programs. Both Desktop Manager and OSs fall into this category. These programs can be found under C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader.

If you use a multi-boot system (Linux / Windows) then your Windows boot drive may well be different from C:

CrackMem handles this without fault since this is programmed into it.
    I have the 64-bit version of Vista and this is exactly where it's located. "Program Files(x86)" is probably the culprit..
    10-06-08 03:31 PM
    SK1 - There was a bug in CrackMem that refused to delete Vendor.xml from the Apploader folder if there was a previously removed copy of the file in the RemovedFiles folder. The fix in v2.6 was to delete the copy in RemovedFiles. Now, it works correctly.

BlackBerryBob - Thanks for the information. It took me a while to find out for certain where x64 kept its 32 bit programs. I have coded this into CrackMem and that was how I was able to say for sure in here.
    10-07-08 03:55 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD