View Poll Results: Who Dropped the Ball?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carriers

86 64.18%
  • BlackBerry

24 17.91%
  • Both

24 17.91%
01-31-13 01:24 AM
67 123
tools
    dont phones have to be cleared by carriers before being sold?
    to prevent any dodgy guy from making a phone in his basement that melts after a week of using a network?
    How do all the other manufacturers do it then? I think there's a compliance authority in each country (like the FCC in the US) that would cover that.
    01-30-13 07:38 PM
    How do all the other manufacturers do it then? I think there's a compliance authority in each country (like the FCC in the US) that would cover that.
    I do not know, i'm just speculating, amybe the carriers have to clear it to the FCC?
    anyone in the US carrier business have any idea?
    01-30-13 07:40 PM
    Wait - the Zee/Zed 10 will be available in March, right? That's the First Quarter. No one changed the dates.
    To be sure there were overinflated expectations, made up dates and media hype (or lack thereof) from people "in the know" but March is still Q1.
    I normally disagree with nj but he is right...doesn't mean I have to feel good about a "late march" launch though
    01-30-13 07:41 PM
    RIM could easily sell them online unsubsidized and unbranded. But they may also be under contract with US carriers in such a way that they can't directly sell unbranded Blackberrys in the US.
    01-30-13 07:43 PM
    I vote carriers.

Simple fact is that the phone will be available in other markets...why the heck are US carriers dragging their feet through the mud? Testing? Scratching their balls? BlackBerry got the phones out the door...US carriers didn't bother snagging them.
    01-30-13 07:51 PM
    If Blackberry managed to get so many carriers in other countries ready to release within a week after unveiling, there's no way it's their fault it's coming out late in the U.S.. Heck U.S. carriers were probably the first ones they started talking to.
    01-30-13 08:54 PM
    I'm going with BlackBerry. Their is simply no way that all four carriers would have come up with a March release given that it has cleared the FCC already, and has been in testing for a while. I don't think RIM could do a global release and for some reason decided the US was the best to make wait.
    01-30-13 11:26 PM
    US carriers are evil and BlackBerry is the smartphone stepchild that they hate on.
    01-30-13 11:31 PM
    What do the carriers have to gain by releasing the phone later? Pricing I guess I can understand but how does a March release benefit them?
    it makes the phones more marketable by actually having apps like netflix available and not just "committed".

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    01-30-13 11:38 PM
    I think it was both of them. BLACKBERRY AKA RIMM should have realized what a delay would do to the stock market. They should have pulled out all stops to get at least one US carrier ready to move on this. The carriers are once again showing that they are the joke of world wide carriers and as long as no carrier has it all they loose is a slight delay and the opportunity to continue to sell Iphones and Android phones. Maybe the carriers don't care if there is a Blackberry company in the future. The stock dropped nearly 3 dollars today and may continue to drop as the US media plays this situation from many angles. Some will crucify BB and others will say it shows there is no interest for a BB phone. We need a new player in the phone carrier business that provides a true global phone direct to consumers all over the world.
    I've seen your stance on this across a few threads now and still no answer to this - if they HAD done everything in their power to move the US carriers faster, but couldn't budge them any more than they have... then what's your answer to that? Storm the Verizon HQ with pitchforks? Do you seriously believe BB doesn't want a piece of the US market pie? C'mon man. Come. On. As for the stock market comment above, I believe Thunderbuck summed it up well:

The stock drop wasn't entirely unanticipated. Lots of investors cashing in from recent gains. Day-to-day volatility isn't an indicator of overall company health. Market cap still way closer to book value than it was 6 months ago
    01-30-13 11:39 PM
    In another thread, SixStringMadness conjectured that one of the larger US carriers, probably Verizon, said they wouldn't carry BB10 unless no US carrier got it until March--presumably because March is what fits best into VZW's road map. It's sheer conjecture, but I find it believable in that it explains why all four carrier would end up with March release, but without conspiracy/collusion. It would be a case of the biggest carrier flexing it's muscle, and it wouldn't be the first time that happened.
    hmmm. interesting.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    01-30-13 11:40 PM
    I voted carriers because having experienced carriers in the UK and US, the US are not consumer orientated and fleece the consumers to suite their needs at evry turn in comparison. It is one the top things I miss about the UK along with the Cable/Sky and broadband services. I personally believe this has to do with how they are regulated, carriers and providers in the wirelss/cable/broadband industry dont seem to be as regulated as in the UK. You have a governing body that you can complaining to about any unfair treatment and the carriers are **** scared of them. Over here in the US, I believe the FCC comes the closest to that but they dont seem to do phuck all!!!

Right now I am trying to find out if Everyting Everywhere LTE network is compatible with T-Mobile US current network so I can get my hands on one that way. The delay has killed my enthusiasm!
    01-30-13 11:43 PM
    I voted carriers. I don't see the reason why Blackberry had to **** US consumers even more by delaying the products. They already have major uphill battle in that market without further help IMHO. For carriers, they don't lose much by delaying as long as all carriers keep release date close. Sure, some potential bb upgraders might get fed up for delays & decide to go for something else but still getting that something else from one of those carriers. So it's Blackberry's loss not theirs. Only loss might be from people go cross border shopping to Canada for unlocked phone. But I've read somewhere that unlocking phones in States is now illegal or something???
    01-31-13 12:02 AM
    BlackBerry, if you are listening to this. You must do something about the US launch date. Please don't tell us that your hands are tight. Push them to release sooner please.
    01-31-13 12:14 AM
    RIM announced they started carrier testing with 50 carriers back in late October/early November. Not sure how other US carriers work but it takes Sprint about 12-15 weeks for certification on its network. That falls within a late January/February launch. So if Sprint didn't get there test phones in that first 50, then that's obviously going to push the launch even later. Factor any other deals with other US carriers (like white Z10 exclusivity) and issues with testing (oh how I waited forever for a Sony Ericsson T608), it'd be hard to pinpoint who is at fault for the late launch. If I had to choose, I'd say both cause there's just too many variables to just blame one or the other without knowing more details.
    01-31-13 12:15 AM
    Seems to me the carriers. Thor mentioned onstage that the US carriers are still testing. Now right after the event we had press releases form the major US four: Verizon and AT&T said they will have both, with Verizon landing the exclusive White Z10. T-Mobile said they will have the Z10(no word on Q10). Sprint said they will have the Q10(no word on Z10). They seemed to have been able to pick and choose which ones they wanted. And with devices being available as early as in well, given times zones, NOW, it all comes down to carriers. remember, 2 of the major US carriers uses a CDMA network.
    01-31-13 12:18 AM
    Carriers. I think it's because they'd rather put the time and effort towards apples new ipad and iOS 6.1, not lowly blackberry.

http://techland.time.com/2013/01/29/...-next-tuesday/
    01-31-13 01:24 AM
67 123