View Poll Results: Who Dropped the Ball?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carriers

86 64.18%
  • BlackBerry

24 17.91%
  • Both

24 17.91%
    I called at&t and they told me 2day in corporate stores. Made me feel foolish for posting it (at&t will pay). If RIMM/Blackberry can give us an unlocked option to purchase. I will be fine with that. But to have me anticipating this day and leave me devastated like this... This is a National Disaster and we need help

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-30-13 06:38 PM
    There has been some suggestion that carriers effectively formed a cartel to enforce common pressure on device pricing and a shared release date. I have no doubt if any US carrier had been prepared to break ranks there would be truckloads of Z10s crossing the border tonight.
    Perhaps it isn't even as widespread as this, maybe it is just that AT&T and VZW are the ones that are not ready and since they are that much bigger, none of the US carriers get any.
    01-30-13 06:45 PM
    Its complete BS. Blackberry obviously understands the importance of the US. I mean where did they release the phones from today. Where was the CEO & owner of the company. New York. How can you acknowledge the importance of the US and then give them the shaft. So ignorant.
    01-30-13 06:47 PM
    Maybe RIM, uh BlackBerry, didn't do their homework on the contracts, but couldn't move January 30th as they would get slaughtered in the markets. Oh, that happened anyway.
    Moving the date would have been really stupid on their part, most of the world will have released the z10 by the time the maerican carriers join in, so the devices and software are clearly ready so any delays would be throwing away time that is better used for selling hardware.
    01-30-13 06:48 PM
    What could blackberry do?
    They have absolutely no sway with the carriers.
    BB could have said to the US carriers - if you are not ready by < date > then no BlackBerry smartphones for your subscribers. Sometimes playing hardball is necessary.
    01-30-13 06:52 PM
    There has been some suggestion that carriers effectively formed a cartel to enforce common pressure on device pricing and a shared release date. I have no doubt if any US carrier had been prepared to break ranks there would be truckloads of Z10s crossing the border tonight.
    What do the carriers have to gain by releasing the phone later? Pricing I guess I can understand but how does a March release benefit them?
    01-30-13 06:52 PM
    I voted carriers. I have no inside information but things already started fishy from the moment the carriers opened their mouth about BB10. It was more of a general, "have-to-say-something" kind of response. There was no excitement or anything to it versus the response from other carriers. I don't think BlackBerry would just say, "Yeah, lets but the market we're struggling the most in at the farthest date of any other market."

I think the USA carriers have no faith in BlackBerry. The USA launch is going to sour tons of people too, Verizon is getting the Z10 exclusively in white with no sight of a Q10, they only believe in big screens. Android has poisoned their mind....

Sprint is only talking about the Q10 and nothing said about the Z10... pretty sure customers on sprint want both options. Then that leaves AT&T and T-Mobile.... we'll see what they say in the coming months.

All in all, I would say the US launch is flaming and headed straight for the ground...
    01-30-13 06:53 PM
    BB could have said to the US carriers - if you are not ready by < date > then no BlackBerry smartphones for your subscribers. Sometimes playing hardball is necessary.
    isnt that what has happened
    01-30-13 06:57 PM
    yep i did hear that
    The thought that first went through my mind was that one of the competing manufacturers might have successfully contracted carriers with a n-month blackout period between its last flagship launch and acceptance of a competing product. I have no idea whether that is plausible and lawful in reality.
    01-30-13 07:09 PM
    What do the carriers have to gain by releasing the phone later? Pricing I guess I can understand but how does a March release benefit them?
    Maybe somebody hasn't finished network upgrades and testing. Testing is like software development, it's ready when it's ready... Real Soon Now boss, we're sure there won't be any more problems...
    01-30-13 07:11 PM
    i am sure they can try something like that but i would think it violates fair business laws in some way. Then again apple and att signed a 3 year deal i think it was for the iphone
    01-30-13 07:13 PM
    Moving the date would have been really stupid on their part, most of the world will have released the z10 by the time the maerican carriers join in, so the devices and software are clearly ready so any delays would be throwing away time that is better used for selling hardware.
    That was exactly the situation with the Bold 9000 launch, the 9700 was not much better, and AT&T customers are still waiting for the 9790 almost a year after it could have been available to them.
    01-30-13 07:13 PM
    carriers all the way. whether because testing is too rigid or collusion.
    01-30-13 07:16 PM
    I voted BOTH...........thats just what I think. I don't have anything besides that to contribute, however I do know I'm pissed
    01-30-13 07:18 PM
    there needs to be a both option as its on both shoulders....i am leaning more on BB for this one though. I can understand not having it on 2 maybe but to not have it on any is just odd. For the first time Im the one with the tin foil hat on lol
    Totally agreed. All 4 major players not having it - its all on Blackbery.
    01-30-13 07:18 PM
    i am sure they can try something like that but i would think it violates fair business laws in some way. Then again apple and att signed a 3 year deal i think it was for the iphone
    The relative size (bargaining strength) of the likely parties is comparable and both sides have freedom to choose where they sell or buy so I don't see it falling under consumer protection laws or anti-trust. If an agreement is freely entered by both sides and also carries a confidentiality clause it would be very difficult to expose or have it overturned without risking future business between the parties. For a product classed as "must-have" the pressure to conform or lose access to a market leading product would probably be unbearable.
    01-30-13 07:20 PM
    why havent the carriers come out and said so then.
    They've always been quick to lay the blame at blackberry's door before

sorry i just cant buy into it
    donmateo, shaleem and MoolahMitch like this.
    01-30-13 07:20 PM
    My theory: I think this US delay is BlackBerry's doing. Canada and Europe are stronger markets, release it there, sell it out, create hype and launch it in the US almost another month later riding that hype.
    This is a good thought on the matter.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    01-30-13 07:31 PM
    That is a very plausible idea, except for the fact that carriers HATE each other and it is difficult to believe one (perhaps a pink one that is struggling) wouldn't break ranks.
    It wouldn't need the complicity of the bit players. With two huge carriers effectively holding the lion's share of the market either or both could easily explain that a product will only be accepted if they are part of the first round national release. After that the voice of the regional and smaller national networks are of little consequence.
    SixStringMadness likes this.
    01-30-13 07:32 PM
    Means nothing about all about blackberry, all carriers in Canada, even smaller ones have it no problem, so cant be a BB situation there, the only common denomination in the US is all carriers DO NOT have it, so has to be on them for sure!!!! IF one or two of the big companies in Canada had it like Bell and Telus but not Rogers then I would maybe blame BB, but all 4 not at all, too consistent for my tastes. Maybe it was the media constantly saying it was dead and all the pimply faced so called know it all store reps constantly saying rim is dead and out of business made the big 4 decide to say we will take a wait and see attitude if it is worth selling. All that does is leave the american market that wants a free choice to go elsewhere has to wait! Sucks but maybe all the hate played a bigger part than we know of!
    01-30-13 07:32 PM
    It wouldn't need the complicity of the bit players. With two huge carriers effectively holding the lion's share of the market either or both could easily explain that a product will only be accepted if they are part of the first round national release. After that the voice of the regional and smaller national networks are of little consequence.
    i dont know how the US carriers work, but in Britain, the smaller bit players piggy back their networks on one of the big 4 networks.
    Is the US similar?
    01-30-13 07:33 PM
    This is a good thought on the matter.
    Very plausible if uptake is good in the release areas. It increases the Me-too factor for those following behind, and would go a long way to erasing the US perception of BlackBerry as a toxic brand.
    01-30-13 07:34 PM
    there needs to be a both option as its on both shoulders....i am leaning more on BB for this one though. I can understand not having it on 2 maybe but to not have it on any is just odd. For the first time Im the one with the tin foil hat on lol
    Just a quick thought, but now that there's no need for BIS - why the h*ll does Blackberry need to be so carrier reliant?? Why not sell direct to the public too, like Apple and Google and just about everyone else?
    01-30-13 07:35 PM
    Just a quick thought, but now that there's no need for BIS - why the h*ll does Blackberry need to be so carrier reliant?? Why not sell direct to the public too, like Apple and Google and just about everyone else?
    dont phones have to be cleared by carriers before being sold?
    to prevent any dodgy guy from making a phone in his basement that melts after a week of using a network?
    01-30-13 07:37 PM
    In another thread, SixStringMadness conjectured that one of the larger US carriers, probably Verizon, said they wouldn't carry BB10 unless no US carrier got it until March--presumably because March is what fits best into VZW's road map. It's sheer conjecture, but I find it believable in that it explains why all four carrier would end up with March release, but without conspiracy/collusion. It would be a case of the biggest carrier flexing it's muscle, and it wouldn't be the first time that happened.
    01-30-13 07:37 PM
67 123