View Poll Results: Who Dropped the Ball?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carriers

86 64.18%
  • BlackBerry

24 17.91%
  • Both

24 17.91%
    Simple as that, who do you think dropped the ball? Please keep this civil, no personal attacks. And FWIW, I think it was carriers being jack*sses about it because of RIMs past with them...
    01-30-13 05:20 PM
    If it was Blackberry, i believe we would have seen statements from carriers laying the blame firmly on Blackberry by now.
    So far they've stayed silent or given stock responses that do not answer the questions
    flyingsolid and BergerKing like this.
    01-30-13 05:24 PM
    I think it was both of them. BLACKBERRY AKA RIMM should have realized what a delay would do to the stock market. They should have pulled out all stops to get at least one US carrier ready to move on this. The carriers are once again showing that they are the joke of world wide carriers and as long as no carrier has it all they loose is a slight delay and the opportunity to continue to sell Iphones and Android phones. Maybe the carriers don't care if there is a Blackberry company in the future. The stock dropped nearly 3 dollars today and may continue to drop as the US media plays this situation from many angles. Some will crucify BB and others will say it shows there is no interest for a BB phone. We need a new player in the phone carrier business that provides a true global phone direct to consumers all over the world.
    jertell likes this.
    01-30-13 05:30 PM
    I think it was both of them. BLACKBERRY AKA RIMM should have realized what a delay would do to the stock market. They should have pulled out all stops to get at least one US carrier ready to move on this. The carriers are once again showing that they are the joke of world wide carriers and as long as no carrier has it all they loose is a slight delay and the opportunity to continue to sell Iphones and Android phones. Maybe the carriers don't care if there is a Blackberry company in the future. The stock dropped nearly 3 dollars today and may continue to drop as the US media plays this situation from many angles. Some will crucify BB and others will say it shows there is no interest for a BB phone. We need a new player in the phone carrier business that provides a true global phone direct to consumers all over the world.
    What could blackberry do?
    They have absolutely no sway with the carriers.
    sorry, i just dont understand what people expect blackberry to do to speed up the carriers?
    Maybe for the next release they could compromising photo's of all the carrier's CEO's
    01-30-13 05:32 PM
    there needs to be a both option as its on both shoulders....i am leaning more on BB for this one though. I can understand not having it on 2 maybe but to not have it on any is just odd. For the first time Im the one with the tin foil hat on lol
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-30-13 05:35 PM
    My theory: I think this US delay is BlackBerry's doing. Canada and Europe are stronger markets, release it there, sell it out, create hype and launch it in the US almost another month later riding that hype.
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-30-13 05:36 PM
    I don't know who to balme to be honest, I want tp blame ATT (my carrier) much more than I do BlackBerry...but I find it so hard to believe that ALL thr carriers in the US get the same date (or close) and some of the blame has to go to BlackBerry.

I would love to hear something from BlackBerry or CrackBerry on this matter instead of our rants...yes I am upset about it but qhat can we do besides wait it out, I wish I had the money to buy one for $1000+ on ebay...but I don't and I assume most others don't either. So I wait...
    Wait - the Zee/Zed 10 will be available in March, right? That's the First Quarter. No one changed the dates.
    To be sure there were overinflated expectations, made up dates and media hype (or lack thereof) from people "in the know" but March is still Q1.
    BergerKing and 9of13 like this.
    Wait - the Zee/Zed 10 will be available in March, right? That's the First Quarter. No one changed the dates.
    To be sure there were overinflated expectations, made up dates and media hype (or lack thereof) from people "in the know" but March is still Q1.
    This is very true...it is...
    01-30-13 05:37 PM
    I think it's RIM's failure to convince the carriers it was in their best interest (financially) to get the new devices out sooner. Yes March is in the first quarter but I think RIM will regret this as they will likely loose sales over the delay. BlackBerry just failed to sell the carriers in my opinion. Maybe it was pay back from carriers for past grievances as some have speculated but as a consumer I have to say I don't care. I just think it was a dumb move.
    01-30-13 05:47 PM
    there needs to be a both option as its on both shoulders....i am leaning more on BB for this one though. I can understand not having it on 2 maybe but to not have it on any is just odd. For the first time Im the one with the tin foil hat on lol
    There has been some suggestion that carriers effectively formed a cartel to enforce common pressure on device pricing and a shared release date. I have no doubt if any US carrier had been prepared to break ranks there would be truckloads of Z10s crossing the border tonight.
    01-30-13 05:51 PM
    That is a very plausible idea, except for the fact that carriers HATE each other and it is difficult to believe one (perhaps a pink one that is struggling) wouldn't break ranks.
    01-30-13 05:53 PM
    There has been some suggestion that carriers effectively formed a cartel to enforce common pressure on device pricing and a shared release date. I have no doubt if any US carrier had been prepared to break ranks there would be truckloads of Z10s crossing the border tonight.
    exactly.
    i think seeing as blackberry's do not sell over there, they are trying to maximise profit from each device. No carrier wants to lose out on that extra profit so none of them have gone rogue.

All utter speculation. but one thing is sure, if Blackberry deliberately held the carriers back, the carriers would have made a song and dance about it
    01-30-13 05:55 PM
    I am blaming the carriers. Why do all the UK and Canadian carriers get it sooner.... is it because they like to sell BlackBerry????
    01-30-13 05:56 PM
    I have no idea whatsoever and I'm pissed off of who to blame, and you know what. It is what it is. Seriously considering getting one from canada or the uk..or just waiting till aristo if it exists
    shipping z10s from canada. $1200.....DM me!!!!!!!!!!
    I would really like to know who though and after reading the other thread about a guy who called att I'm even more confused.
    yep i did hear that
    01-30-13 05:57 PM
    It's the carriers' fault, not BlackBerry's. Let's look at all of the promotion carriers in Canada and the UK have been doing in the weeks and months prior to the launch and look at what T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon and Sprint did in the form of promoting BB10 during that same time. It's almost as if they want BlackBerry to fail and by not starting to promote BB10 until the day of the product launch and not even putting the Z10 on sale until well over a month after the launch, that's the sort of impression that comes across.
    01-30-13 05:57 PM
    Regardless of where the delay lies, I fear Blackberry will pay the price in the end.
    JR A and MoolahMitch like this.
    01-30-13 05:58 PM
    I didn't think we would see a US release today. I've been expecting March until we would see it here. I suspected that we would see an implosion of people royally fired up that they can't have it right flippin' now, but I wasn't surprised. If anything, I expected US carriers to adopt a delay position, just to be able to read the lay of the land. The last thing they wanna do is fork out for devices that might not go, since so many of them have become so cuddly with the Green and the Apple.
    01-30-13 06:00 PM
    Its just upsetting to me personally that I think it'll hurt blackberry in the end with the comeback. And if it does come to that we can blame the us carriers in part for that.
    01-30-13 06:03 PM
    You will anyway...
    The anti American sentiment here is over the top. Again.

Maybe RIM, uh BlackBerry, didn't do their homework on the contracts, but couldn't move January 30th as they would get slaughtered in the markets. Oh, that happened anyway.

Overinflated expectations, fed by many on this site. No conspiracies. Just inflated expectations.
    01-30-13 06:07 PM
    what a waste, who dropped the ball? the question is what can Blackberry do to mitigate the negative effect of any further delays
    01-30-13 06:10 PM
    While I think that is the best possibility I have to wonder if there isn't some type of US Federal regulation against that type of activity. (I mean God knows there has to be, there are regulations against everything else).
    01-30-13 06:31 PM
67 123