Ah, now I understand - poor interface design. BlackBerry devices allow the user to simply select and control each service individually without touching the others. I never imagined that Android would omit such a basic function.
    Sounds like Android is cheating the Airplane mode to me, surely.
    12-16-12 03:23 PM
    Not really cheating, just a clunky workaround. You are used to the easy access on a BB, where airplane mode (all-off) and the individual component service controls are only one click away from home screen. That makes it only two clicks to drop cellular for us, but it looks like Android doesn't provide the same easy access to control the cellular radio alone, it is buried many clicks deeper.
    12-16-12 03:34 PM
    Not really cheating, just a clunky workaround. You are used to the easy access on a BB, where airplane mode (all-off) and the individual component service controls are only one click away from home screen. That makes it only two clicks to drop cellular for us, but it looks like Android doesn't provide the same easy access to control the cellular radio alone, it is buried many clicks deeper.
    BlackBerrry Airplane Mode for the BlackBerry tablet and Cortado Flight Mode for the BlackBerry smartphone are two very useful features. Hopefully, BlackBerry OS 10 includes BlackBerry Airplane Mode.
    12-16-12 03:41 PM
    It is cheating, it shows airplane mode and wifi on at the same time, that shouldn't happen. Turn wifi on and airplane mode should disappear.
    12-16-12 03:41 PM
    BlackBerrry Airplane Mode for the BlackBerry tablet and Cortado Flight Mode for the BlackBerry smartphone are two very useful features. Hopefully, BlackBerry OS 10 includes BlackBerry Airplane Mode.
    Huh? What do you think "All Off" option is?
    12-16-12 03:43 PM
    this has been a very entertaining thread... thanks.

ok, who did rim annoy? well, most everbody on the playbook (and even the fans/apologists know it) through a selection of incredibly poor choices. no native email, mis/ill-functioning apps and features, and so forth early on... not a great start (and hardly much for the media to get behind) despite being technically excellent... nearly 2 years on, the pb sales jump dramatically, mainly thanks to aggressive discounting in the americas and europe/uk, and active sales techniques that promote this. however, the os updates are debatably positive with upgrades tempered by other mis/ill-functioning apps and features.
    currently, the pb (a browser led device) appears to be creaking due to its internet abilities. its use of flash (remember those ads?) is increasingly patchy, and javascript seems to fox it into remarkably slow processing, even with nothing else in the background. this brower led machine ( as evidenced by the stock icons) is finding browsing a little awkward!
    a case in point? well, alongside watching the browser crash on many, regular, diverse occasions, I'm trying to post a sale on ebay.co.uk. limitations in the browser prevent me from publishing the sale (it cannot select paypal, which is already selected!)
    before the naysayers begin, the fact is that the browser gives a pretty standard signature to sites: it is not the sites, it is the pb os. you cannot expect to have a flourishing system that has issues with basic functionality unless you're competing with the cheapest of the cheapest... oh, wait.. could it be?
    either way, rim did this... no one else.
    bb10? bring it on, it better be good
    12-16-12 03:57 PM
    It is cheating, it shows airplane mode and wifi on at the same time, that shouldn't happen. Turn wifi on and airplane mode should disappear.
    True... it doesn't comply with airline requirements - false indication that flight mode is activated.
    12-16-12 04:26 PM
    really? this seems to say that pb does it too (posted with airplane mode on with wifi)
    Attached Thumbnails Who did RIM **** off?-uploadfromtaptalk1355697197625.jpg  
    mikeo007 likes this.
    12-16-12 04:34 PM
    If I turn airplane mode on, it shuts down data and voice.
    I can then turn on wifi. This is useful when accessing wifi in flight.
    On my BB, I turn network off and can turn wifi on when accessing wifi in flight.
    Same function.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    12-16-12 04:50 PM
    really? this seems to say that pb does it too (posted with airplane mode on with wifi)
    Good catch, I'd call that a bug. At least both have a visible clue in the wifi icon - but IMO if airplane mode is activated all radios should be dead, so it is still a bug.
    12-16-12 05:28 PM
    Dude this really isn't that hard to figure out is it?

Airplanes have in flight WiFi. How would you be able to use said WiFi if airplane mode disabled your WiFi radio?
    Last edited by Saiga; 12-16-12 at 07:11 PM.
    12-16-12 05:33 PM
    it is conformant to have reduced power wifi while in airplane mode.

it is also true that PB is a massive failure and anyone who purchased one for more than $129 is likely ****ed off, along with people waiting for BB10 for the last two years, app developers who see RIM's incompetence dealing with backward compatibility, investors, and users who can't surf the internet. Probably more people but that's a big chunk right there.
    12-17-12 12:20 AM
    it is conformant to have reduced power wifi while in airplane mode.

it is also true that PB is a massive failure and anyone who purchased one for more than $129 is likely ****ed off, along with people waiting for BB10 for the last two years, app developers who see RIM's incompetence dealing with backward compatibility, investors, and users who can't surf the internet. Probably more people but that's a big chunk right there.
    Tim Cook? Is that you?
    Dude, what's with the bitter posts in multiple threads?
    You need to lay off the hatorade, or what ever intoxicating substance you're drinking tonight.
    Lehomer, bungaboy, Saiga and 2 others like this.
    12-17-12 12:32 AM
    I've been reviewing all of the media I could possibly find over the past several months, and in retrospect It looks like there is a concerted effort to completely bury RIM.

Suits, sensational articles about exploding batteries (well, ONE exploding battery lol), stock upgrades/downgrades, US gov't departments dropping them as a goto device and moving to others...I could go on, but that pretty much covers the things that I've found.

I can't help but think this is an orchestrated effort to get rid of a very strong device in the marketplace. Any thoughts on this?
    I think it was kinda RIM's own fault.
    They overslept some things to be still "cool".
    They entered too late the "app-market".
    They brought out some devices, which hardware was too outdated, when they came out.
    They relayed too much on their "old" OS and they focused too much on "business".

Don't get me wrong, I would never trade my BB for an other plattform - but that are some facts why RIM was bashed the last few months/years.

But I also understand RIM's point of few.
    They took the business costumers a bit too serious and wanted a better batterylife over high-res. displays and crazy processor performances.
    But times have changed and people prefer multimedia abilties with their phones.

So resting on their strenghs was too less, compaired to developing for new markets.

Still BBs are the best devices for email and communication, but as I wrote - nowadays it's too less to be on time and too be "cool".
    12-17-12 02:21 AM
    I've been reviewing all of the media I could possibly find over the past several months, and in retrospect It looks like there is a concerted effort to completely bury RIM.

Suits, sensational articles about exploding batteries (well, ONE exploding battery lol), stock upgrades/downgrades, US gov't departments dropping them as a goto device and moving to others...I could go on, but that pretty much covers the things that I've found.

I can't help but think this is an orchestrated effort to get rid of a very strong device in the marketplace. Any thoughts on this?
    I think what happens is that consumers (as well as media) get tired of companies that turn a blind eye to what people want. Blackberry have been stuck in the stone ages for years and basically gave the middle finger to the general public by refusing to change or heavily update their aging OS, and now those chickens are coming home to roost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Saiga likes this.
    12-17-12 09:48 AM
    I think what happens is that consumers (as well as media) get tired of companies that turn a blind eye to what people want. Blackberry have been stuck in the stone ages for years and basically gave the middle finger to the general public by refusing to change or heavily update their aging OS, and now those chickens are coming home to roost.

Except companies have been caught in the past hiring PR agencies to smear competitors, ie Facebook vs Google.
    12-17-12 09:51 AM
    Except companies have been caught in the past hiring PR agencies to smear competitors, ie Facebook vs Google.
    Both of those companies produce good products, therefore the smear campaigns did not work...it's called capitalism. BB's problem is their products have been sub par for years.

12-17-12 10:06 AM
    Both of those companies produce good products, therefore the smear campaigns did not work...it's called capitalism. BB's problem is their products have been sub par for years.

Actually when it comes to social networks, the common competing ground for these two, Google failed big time.

Technically BBs have always been subpar, even compared to some "dumb" phones, the overall experience was excellent though. BBs have never been leading in tech, rather used older but trusted tech.
    12-17-12 10:12 AM
    The conspiracy theories crack me up.

I like my BlackBerry devices for what they do, but I use other platforms also and I am honest enough with myself to admit that RIM is behind. Using these other platforms have clearly shown me that BlackBerry is very far behind when it comes to the things that the vast majority of consumers actually care about.

Why would anyone need to pay money for a smear campaign against RIM? You said it yourself - "Hiring PR agencies to smear competitors". Sorry to break it to you, but RIM hasn't been competitive for the last couple of years. Why would a company waste good money on trying to hurt RIM when RIM has done a perfectly fine job of hurting themselves?
    bk1022 and imz like this.
    12-17-12 10:18 AM
    The conspiracy theories crack me up.

I like my BlackBerry devices for what they do, but I use other platforms also and I am honest enough with myself to admit that RIM is behind. Using these other platforms have clearly shown me that BlackBerry is very far behind when it comes to the things that the vast majority of consumers actually care about.

Why would anyone need to pay money for a smear campaign against RIM? You said it yourself - "Hiring PR agencies to smear competitors". Sorry to break it to you, but RIM hasn't been competitive for the last couple of years. Why would a company waste good money on trying to hurt RIM when RIM has done a perfectly fine job of hurting themselves?
    Facebook has been caught hiring a PR Company against Google, and they were caught by accident.

It proves that this does happen so you cannot rule it out as a "conspiracy theory"

Now tell me, how successful has google been at social networks and how many they started have failed and closed?
    12-17-12 10:26 AM
    Tim Cook? Is that you?
    Dude, what's with the bitter posts in multiple threads?
    You need to lay off the hatorade, or what ever intoxicating substance you're drinking tonight.
    Care to dispute anything I've said? The truth hurts I guess..

HAS RIM not upset devs, customers, investors and former employees? Heck for a while they were even annoying the NHL. So far the only group of people RIM hasn't ****'d off is the class, "competitors."
    12-17-12 10:38 AM
    Facebook has been caught hiring a PR Company against Google, and they were caught by accident.

It proves that this does happen so you cannot rule it out as a "conspiracy theory"

Now tell me, how successful has google been at social networks and how many they started have failed and closed?
    I'm not saying that didn't happen with FB and Google, but where is the proof that it is happening to RIM? Do we really think Apple or Google are worried about RIM? Worried enough to pay money to hurt their already stellar reputation in the tech industry? Lol

No one cares that much about RIM. RIM hasn't been a serious threat to anyone in years. Why throw expensive dynamite on a train wreck when the damage is already done?
    12-17-12 10:56 AM
    I'm not saying that didn't happen with FB and Google, but where is the proof that it is happening to RIM? Do we really think Apple or Google are worried about RIM? Worried enough to pay money to hurt their already stellar reputation in the tech industry? Lol

No one cares that much about RIM. RIM hasn't been a serious threat to anyone in years. Why throw expensive dynamite on a train wreck when the damage is already done?
    RIM still has a multi billion business, are you saying nobody wants their slice of the pie? Really? Nobody cares about RIM?

What other company beside Apple and Samsung is doing better then RIM in the smartphone market?

Yeah right, nobody cares about RIM.
    12-17-12 11:01 AM
    RIM still has a multi billion business, are you saying nobody wants their slice of the pie? Really? Nobody cares about RIM?

What other company beside Apple and Samsung is doing better then RIM in the smartphone market?

Yeah right, nobody cares about RIM.
    Uhmmm for one LG. You know a profitable company instead of a non profitable company. Maybe Apple and Google are smearing LG since they actually make money.

But you are right. Apple and Google do want RIM's slice of the pie and they have easily taken the vast majority of it (if we are talking about the market share pie) by investing money into making and marketing products that people actually want. Not by paying for smear campaigns.
    bk1022 likes this.
    12-17-12 11:10 AM

I think the answer is best provided by Ray Kroc, "If they [competitor] were drowning to death, I would put a hose in their mouth."
    12-17-12 11:30 AM
158 ... 34567