You're confusing Push with fast email delivery, a BB never polls for new email, you probably have yours set to poll every 5-10 minutes.

I host with 1and1 and my emails arrive in exactly 7 seconds, tested many times, no exchange needed..
    Is 1and1 email POP3? Are you on BIS? If so it is technically impossible for you to receive every email in 7 seconds. And that's according to RIM. I've seen you spread wrong information around before. You can say whatever you want. BUT if you are on BIS with a POP3 account, it is slow. This is how it works - BIS will check your POP3 account every 15 minutes. If something is received, it gets pushed to your BlackBerry. Once BIS has found a new message, it will begin to check every 3 minutes for awhile until there's nothing new coming in. Then it reverts back to the standard 15 minute intervals. You are lying if you claim to get POP3 emails in exactly 7 seconds consistently with a POP3 account on BIS. Simply put, it isn't possible. But please reply and tell me that I am wrong, and also make sure you acknowledge that RIM doesn't even know how to describe how their own email works. Since the information I just provided came directly from RIM when I complained about how slow POP3 email accounts are on my BlackBerry.

You claim that RIM being the only platform that has push for POP3 accounts is some how a good thing. Yet its still notoriously slow. Who knows what Android uses for POP3, for all I know Android is push for POP3. I don't know and I don't care. Whatever Android uses, works much better than what RIM is doing. I never had to do research, or call technical support to try to figure out why POP3 email accounts were so slow on Android, because they aren't slow like they are on BlackBerry. On Android you set it up and it works with satisfactory results. That's not the case with RIM's handling of POP3 accounts.
    Last edited by Saiga; 12-16-12 at 08:11 AM.
    12-16-12 07:59 AM
    Is 1and1 email POP3? Are you on BIS? If so it is technically impossible for you to receive every email in 7 seconds. And that's according to RIM. I've seen you spread this bull around before. You can say whatever you want. BUT if you are on BIS with a POP3 account, it is slow. This is how it works - BIS will check your POP3 account every 15 minutes. If something is received, it gets pushed to your BlackBerry. Once BIS has found a new message, it will begin to check every 3 minutes for awhile until there's nothing new coming in. Then it reverts back to the standard 15 minute intervals. You are lying if you claim to get POP3 emails in exactly 7 seconds consistently with a POP3 account on BIS. Simply put, it isn't possible. But please reply and tell me that I am wrong, and also make sure you acknowledge that RIM doesn't even know how to describe how their own email works. Since the information I just provided came directly from RIM when I complained about how slow POP3 email accounts are on my BlackBerry.

You claim that RIM being the only platform that has push for POP3 accounts is some how a good thing. Yet its still notoriously slow. Who knows what Android uses for POP3, for all I know Android is push for POP3. I don't know and I don't care. Whatever Android uses, works much better than what RIM is doing. I never had to do research, or call technical support to try to figure out why POP3 email accounts were so slow on Android, because they aren't slow like they are on BlackBerry. On Android you set it up and it works with satisfactory results. That's not the case with RIM's handling of POP3 accounts.
    You are wrong and you're jumping the gun a little.

1and1 supports imap idle which makes it instant push on a BIS BlackBerry.

POP3 emails are not instant on a BlackBerry but they are most certainly push, meaning the phone does not search for new emails.

You can probably set your Android to pull for new pop3 emails every 5 minutes and they will be decently fast but battery will suffer as well as incurring extra data charges if you're ever roaming.
    12-16-12 08:13 AM

POP3 emails are not instant on a BlackBerry but they are most certainly push, meaning the phone does not search for new emails.
    When did I ever say they weren't push? OH thank goodness the phone don't search for new emails. That's amazing! Too bad the server does have to search for new emails which happens once every 15 minutes and cause emails to arrive very slowly. Darn it that sucks. Kinda makes the whole push advantage moot doesn't it? If the emails arrive slow they arrive slow. I don't care how they get there I just want them there fast.

Oh I took the liberty of showing my battery life for the day. So yeah I don't really care if my Android polls every 5 minutes. Doesn't really seem to be hurting my amazing battery life so far. That was taken a couple minutes ago. I've never had a BlackBerry last that long.

You seem to act like it is still 2008 and RIM is still the only company with good email and battery life.
    Attached Thumbnails Who did RIM **** off?-2012-12-16-09.21.32.jpg  
    12-16-12 08:26 AM
    Is 1and1 email POP3? Are you on BIS? If so it is technically impossible for you to receive every email in 7 seconds. And that's according to RIM. I've seen you spread wrong information around before. You can say whatever you want. BUT if you are on BIS with a POP3 account, it is slow. This is how it works - BIS will check your POP3 account every 15 minutes. If something is received, it gets pushed to your BlackBerry. Once BIS has found a new message, it will begin to check every 3 minutes for awhile until there's nothing new coming in. Then it reverts back to the standard 15 minute intervals. You are lying if you claim to get POP3 emails in exactly 7 seconds consistently with a POP3 account on BIS. Simply put, it isn't possible. But please reply and tell me that I am wrong, and also make sure you acknowledge that RIM doesn't even know how to describe how their own email works. Since the information I just provided came directly from RIM when I complained about how slow POP3 email accounts are on my BlackBerry.

Well I just tested mine and . . . . . . 7 seconds exactly. NO BULL.
    12-16-12 08:35 AM
    Well I just tested mine and . . . . . . 7 seconds exactly. NO BULL.
    Welp I wish my POP3 accounts would do that. Who is the email account through? Does it consistently do that? Or was it just a fluke and you sent the test mail right before the sever was scanned?
    12-16-12 08:40 AM
    Welp I wish my POP3 accounts would do that. Who is the email account through? Does it consistently do that? Or was it just a fluke and you sent the test mail right before the sever was scanned?
    Just did 2 more 4 seconds and 3 seconds respectively. I am with Bell Mobility. Don't think it was a fluke.
    12-16-12 09:09 AM
    Just did 2 more 4 seconds and 3 seconds respectively. I am with Bell Mobility. Don't think it was a fluke.
    Lol well you should let RIM know that they don't know what they are talking about. Are you absolutely sure that this is a POP3 account and that you're on BIS? If so you have it much better than I and all of the other people that are stuck with BIS scanning our POP3 servers for new emails. I honestly wish I was as lucky as you. If you know how you got your BlackBerry to work the way it is working, please let me know. Since RIM's technical support still hasn't figured out how to make POP3 email work instantly like you have.

Even Bellfast acknowledges the delay with POP3 on BIS. By design, it shouldn't be possible for you to have the results you are seeing. I mean people do a work around where they forward their POP3 account to their carrier supplied email account. Is that what you are doing? POP3 on BIS requires polling. That's simply fact according to RIM.
    12-16-12 09:19 AM
    When did I ever say they weren't push? OH thank goodness the phone don't search for new emails. That's amazing! Too bad the server does have to search for new emails which happens once every 15 minutes and cause emails to arrive very slowly. Darn it that sucks. Kinda makes the whole push advantage moot doesn't it? If the emails arrive slow they arrive slow. I don't care how they get there I just want them there fast.

Oh I took the liberty of showing my battery life for the day. So yeah I don't really care if my Android polls every 5 minutes. Doesn't really seem to be hurting my amazing battery life so far. That was taken a couple minutes ago. I've never had a BlackBerry last that long.

You seem to act like it is still 2008 and RIM is still the only company with good email and battery life.
    I roam a couple of times a week so it's important to me.

Lol, you'll have to explain that picture to me, what's 44% not charging and are you on airplane mode?
    12-16-12 09:49 AM

Lol, you'll have to explain that picture to me, what's 44% not charging and are you on airplane mode?
    Yeah I use my Nexus 4 on WiFi only when I'm at home. I have T-Mobile for data at $30 per month. It comes with 100 minutes and sms, but I never use any of T-Mobiles minutes or sms because I have Google Voice for those things.

T-Mobile's data while im on the move and WiFi when I'm at home works out great and gives me a fully featured phone with unlimited voice minutes and SMS for only $30 a month.

Either way when in airplane mode and on WiFi I am still using the pone. I am making phone calls and sending and/or receiving hundreds of SMS through my Google voice number as carrier supplied SMS is horrible. Google voice SMS is like having all of your contacts on a instant messaging app. There is no service issues and no having to hit resend when a message fails to send the first time. It works out great for me.

Look in my avatar. There is a Optimus G on at&t there. My screen shot is from my Nexus 4, but the carrier connected full time, never in airplane mode, Optimus G still gets great battery life. They are the same basic phone after all.

EDIT

I was wrong, the Optimus G actually does better than my Nexus 4 that is in airplane mode, I keep forgetting that it has an amazing battery saver feature that the Nexus 4 doesn't have.
    Attached Thumbnails Who did RIM **** off?-screenshot_2012-12-16-11-04-52.jpg  
    Last edited by Saiga; 12-16-12 at 10:37 AM.
    12-16-12 10:01 AM
    Remember he's in USA and they don't have the roaming rip-off problem there.

Either way when in airplane mode and on WiFi I am still sending hundreds of SMS through my Google voice number as carrier supplied SMS is horrible.
    Something doesn't stack up here. Airplane mode means NO RADIO CONNECTIONS. Not cellular, not WiFi, not Bluetooth. Explanations needed.
    12-16-12 10:17 AM
    Something doesn't stack up here. Airplane mode means NO RADIO CONNECTIONS. Not cellular, not WiFi, not Bluetooth. Explanations needed.
    Once you're in Airplane Mode, you can afterwards individually turn each connection back on. So basically, he means no cellular, but on WiFi.
    Saiga likes this.
    12-16-12 10:22 AM
    No it doesn't. Not on Android. You turn on Airplane mode, it kills the radio connections, then you can go back and turn them all back on one by one except the cellular connection. Airplane mode is just my way of killing T-Mobile when I have WiFi. WiFi and Bluetooth and NFC all work while the Nexus 4 is in Airplane mode. What I do isn't rare, it's actually pretty common to use Google Voice on a mostly WiFi only phone and use T-Mobile prepaid for when you are away from WiFi. Do a Google search about it.

EDIT

Thanks Roo Zilla, why am I not seeing the like and thanks buttons?
    12-16-12 10:22 AM
    I have been surprised by the battery life of my SGIII.
    The attached pic was yesterday, both on the network and on WiFi as I was out and about and at home.
    As far as email, I have my iPhone on an hourly schedule. Both my BB and SGIII are push, since the battery is replaceable. Both emails are within a second of each other.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Who did RIM **** off?-uploadfromtaptalk1355675361496.jpg  
    12-16-12 10:29 AM
    What I do isn't rare, it's actually pretty common to use Google Voice on a mostly WiFi only phone and use T-Mobile prepaid for when you are away from WiFi. Do a Google search about it.
    I have to agree, Google Voice on Android is really excellent. If I switch to Android, this is one of the major reasons I would do it for.
    12-16-12 10:30 AM
    No it doesn't. Not on Android. You turn on Airplane mode, it kills the radio connections, then you can go back and turn them all back on one by one except the cellular connection. Airplane mode is just my way of killing T-Mobile when I have WiFi. WiFi and Bluetooth and NFC all work while the Nexus 4 is in Airplane mode. What I do isn't rare, it's actually pretty common to use Google Voice on a mostly WiFi only phone and use T-Mobile prepaid for when you are away from WiFi. Do a Google search about it.

EDIT

Thanks Roo Zilla, why am I not seeing the like and thanks buttons?
    That's not exactly normal usage for a mobile phone, enphasasing on "mobile"

What about the 44% not charging, what's that all about?
    12-16-12 10:40 AM
    That is my remaining battery life - charge status

I had 44% battery life left and I wasn't charging the battery.

That meter resets once you plug your phone in. The time on battery is the time you've been on battery since you last charged your phone.

In what way is my Nexus 4 not "mobile"? It is as mobile as any other cellphone. Its not like WiFi is connected by a wire. Do you not use WiFi when you have it? I can leave T-Mobile on when I have WiFi, but why would I? No one has that phone number.

Is my Optimus G normal usage? Or what about qbnkelt's SIII, Is that normal usage? I don't know about you, but once my Bold 9930 has been on for 7 hours I'm at 10-30% remaining at the very most, Not 60% like QBN's SIII is.
    Last edited by Saiga; 12-16-12 at 01:48 PM.
    12-16-12 10:44 AM
    What say we get back on topic?
    Ray UM likes this.
    12-16-12 10:54 AM
    Thus far this phone routinely gets me from the car in the morning, on the Metro, full day at work, on the Metro home, back into the car. This is significant because I consider the Metro to be the acid test, in and out of signal.
    I don't use airplane mode because right now I'm pushing the device to test it.

Attached is usage for my 9900.

Who did RIM **** off?-screencap_1355677337990.jpg

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 12-16-12 at 11:24 AM.
    12-16-12 10:56 AM
    No it doesn't. Not on Android. You turn on Airplane mode, it kills the radio connections, then you can go back and turn them all back on one by one except the cellular connection. Airplane mode is just my way of killing T-Mobile when I have WiFi. WiFi and Bluetooth and NFC all work while the Nexus 4 is in Airplane mode.
    Ah, now I understand - poor interface design. BlackBerry devices allow the user to simply select and control each service individually without touching the others. I never imagined that Android would omit such a basic function.
    12-16-12 01:38 PM
    Ah, now I understand - poor interface design. BlackBerry devices allow the user to simply select and control each service individually without touching the others. I never imagined that Android would omit such a basic function.
    You can do it that way too. It's just faster to turn on Airplane mode, then turn on Wifi.
    Saiga and mikeo007 like this.
    12-16-12 01:47 PM
    You can, Branta. I actually attached two screenshots to show you how, but then I noticed they had personal info so I deleted them.

****in your inbox****
    Saiga likes this.
    12-16-12 01:50 PM
    You can do it that way too. It's just faster to turn on Airplane mode, then turn on Wifi.
    Exactly, Why do things the harder and slower way?
    12-16-12 02:12 PM
    Exactly, Why do things the harder and slower way?
    Why go to the doctor when you can just put a bandaid on it right
    12-16-12 02:14 PM
    Everybody loves a comeback story!
    12-16-12 02:17 PM
    Why go to the doctor when you can just put a bandaid on it right
    Uhm that doesn't really apply here. Putting on airplane mode and turning WiFi back on accomplishes the same thing as turning off cellular connection by itself. Just its faster and easier to do it the way I do it. Why do things the harder way if the end result is exactly the same?

A bandaid might be easier and faster, but it doesn't always have the same end result. But oh well
    12-16-12 02:20 PM
158 ... 23456 ...