Do you really think anybody will ever have a candid conversation with a Google glass wearer? No chance in helll.

Edit, also make sure you have a real ease for with you if you do that lol.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    That's going to be an interesting discussion in the coming years when everyone has some type of wearable computing and can record anything!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-23-14 02:05 PM
    This thread is on fire!

But seriously, can we tone it down a bit and talk rationally about the OP's post?

The point is that the sales rep fed the OP some misinformation. And since she (or he, it doesn't matter either way) did that to someone who has a history with BlackBerry, it's likely that she/he has done the same with other customers.

I have a friend who's been fed a similar lot of BULL from a Virgin Rep in Canada (see earlier in the thread).

Obviously, this is an issue for BlackBerry when it come to the point of sale with carriers. It's all well and good to blame BlackBerry (yawn) but the bigger question is: why is this happening? Is it because sales reps (from all carriers let's assume) are lazy? Is it perception?

Can we debate this intelligently without turning it into a slugfest?
    Its habit, the same reason we do most things.

Inject yourself into the picture. You're working at XYZ mobile sales. Almost everyone who comes in wants an iPhone or Android. Once in a blue moon a person asks for a Blackberry. How would you (really) act? Think about it.

BTW: you probably don't use a Blackberry either.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    02-23-14 02:07 PM
    A person in a store sticking a camera in the face of employees is not a "peaceful customer." That person is considered insane and would be removed from the store. I have worked retail, and this would not be tolerated. It is the customer with the camera who would be considered crazy- why would anyone care enough about a phone to act this way? If they would do this- what is next? That is how normal people would think.

Posted via CB10
    I guess people who pull out cameras when watching or being handled incorrectly by officers of the law are crazy for doing so as well? By your standard "they're just doing their job" I guess right?
    Omnitech likes this.
    That's going to be an interesting discussion in the coming years when everyone has some type of wearable computing and can record anything!
    Laws will follow, besides, wiretapping laws already apply, shops are not public places.

Personally I think wearables are a fad, apparently 50% of users loose interest after a couple of months.

By the way, it's kind of interesting how you know about my ex-GF's opinions and how "clear they are to others'. ROFL.

You in the NSA, brah?
    First of all, I'm a girl. Second, I don't know your girlfriend. Third, it is obvious to anyone reading your comments that you overanalyze. It was clear to your girlfriend and clear to anyone who can read. Not a criticism- an observation.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    For those unable to search on their own ... daft pillocks!

Definition of a Blackberry Elite found here.
    https://developer.blackberry.com/jamcommunity/bbelite/
    anon6040766 likes this.
    02-23-14 02:08 PM
    ...this has become very entertaining. Everyone just remember, we're on the Internet, and you are arguing. Really? Stay focused, and deliver your point, and no finger pointing or name calling. Just saying
    JeepBB and TgeekB like this.
    02-23-14 02:09 PM
    First of all, I'm a girl. Second, I don't know your girlfriend. Third, it is obvious to anyone reading your comments that you overanalyze. It was clear to your girlfriend and clear to anyone who can read. Not a criticism- an observation.

Posted via CB10
    So I guess we shouldn't call you "brah" then. Haha.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    02-23-14 02:09 PM
    Do you really think anybody will ever have a candid conversation with a Google glass wearer? No chance in helll.

Edit, also make sure you have a real ease for with you if you do that lol.

No I don't, that's the point. It shouldn't take a camera to your face to make you tell the truth.

I personally will keep away from Google Glass wearing people. Not because I am afraid of being caught doing something I shouldn't, but because the term "Glasshole" will be in full force. I don't need to wonder if the person I'm talking to me is recording. This piece of technology will be abused to no end.
    bbq10l likes this.
    02-23-14 02:10 PM
    How is someone insane for pulling out a camera? You are the insane one if you think you can lie to someones face and get away with it in todays world.

I guess I'm insane, but if a rep blatantly lied to me, I would record it and talk to their manager. Just like we can record the police if we have to deal with them.

Wait till Google Glass is officially available at a consumer pricepoint. You won't know who is and isn't recording you.

I have seen people recording things in a retail store before, no one was ever kicked out. Only an insane person would LIE to a customer and think they can get away with it.

Just do your job and this wont happen.

And the person isn't "sticking a camera in their face", no need to make this sound more aggressive than it really is. You can still be peaceful with a camera in your hand. I don't understand how holding a camera losses that tone.

Are peaceful protestors holding cameras no longer peaceful just because of a camera? I don't think so.
    I can't believe you would equate filming a rep in a phone store with protestors or the police. BlackBerry is just not that important. You are dealing with sales and marketing; you are not protesting a government nor are your civil rigjts being violated.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and Moonbase0ne like this.
    02-23-14 02:11 PM
    No I don't, that's the point. It shouldn't take a camera to your face to make you tell the truth.

I personally will keep away from Google Glass wearing people. Not because I am afraid of being caught doing something I shouldn't, but because the term "Glasshole" will be in full force. I don't need to wonder if the person I'm talking to me is recording. This piece of technology will be abused to no end.
    Have you actually seen someone wearing one yet? I haven't. I wonder if they will catch on or not.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    02-23-14 02:12 PM
    I would have recorded it and posted it here and on YouTube. It would have caught attention, especially with the fans here, and the carrier would have made note. Then I would email the video to BlackBerry with a short letter explaining my experience.

This is not hard to do. Complaining here gets nothing done. Providing video evidence catching them red handed and distributing it to the right people does.
    Wasn't expecting the sales assistant to come out with this. So pulling my phone out and recording her, may of silenced her.

Posted via CB10
    You are using "ethically" incorrectly but let's stick with it for the moment -

"is it unethical for a minimum wage member of staff who earns commission and works for a multinational to do what they can to maximise their earnings to put food on the table?"
    In the US, and definitely at least at Verizon, commissions are based on number of phone activations not the price of the phone. Thus there is technically no incentive to push for an Android over a BlackBerry.

Reps will tell you that when BlackBerry Z10 first launched they were just as willing to push the phone as any other phone, but they had a high return rate. Returns take up the reps time away from selling another phone plus the person who originally sold the phone loses the commission. Thus, reps will always try to sell phones with the lowest to return rate. However I blame the lack of BlackBerry 10 knowledge on the number of returns because reps could have helped those customers out better when they came back.

So what do I believe...I believe the reps are paid on activations for bonus, period. The whole return ratio, probably BS...they simply sell what they prefer. For every 18-35 year old who knows what they want there are tons of older people who ask for help choosing and BlackBerry isn't on the menu.

Posted via my BlackBerry Q10 or Z30 on VZW from Philly
    bbq10l, JeepBB and pantlesspenguin like this.

Inject yourself into the picture. You're working at XYZ mobile sales. Almost everyone who comes in wants an iPhone or Android. Once in a blue moon a person asks for a Blackberry. How would you (really) act? Think about it.

I know how *I* would act, because I used to do that job for a living.

Are you going to just throw out that data again because it doesn't agree with your stance?
    02-23-14 02:13 PM

BTW: you probably don't use a Blackberry either.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    I totally get it from a sales perspective: most people are looking for the latest Samsung, or iPhone, mostly. So I can see how a sales rep is probably better informed and more likely to recommend. What's curious is the propensity to take the opposite tack and be negative about BlackBerry. If all commissions are equal, who cares what the customer buys in the end?

I've read on other threads that Samsung offers incentives to sales reps if they sell their phones. I don't know if that's true, but if it is, that would certainly explain the evangelism of some sales reps.

BTW, you're wrong: I do use a BlackBerry. I have a Z10, been using it since Feb, 2013 and I love it. The integrated Hub is amazing. But I also use iOS and Android (I have several tablets and phones). I actually like iOS and Android, but just not for my personal mobile use.
    02-23-14 02:14 PM
    For the record, being a secret pretend shopper was never part of being a BB Elite.

bbq10l, JeepBB and Moonbase0ne like this.
    02-23-14 02:16 PM
    TBH, anyone wandering from store to store secretly recording women from their front trouser pocket might have another problem - "It's all about dishonest sales techniques your honour!"
    LOVE IT.

Posted via CB10
    Second, I don't know your girlfriend.

Then how is it possible that you claim to know whether something that happened 20 years ago between people you've never met was "obvious to others", hmm?

Perhaps it is that lack of "analysis" that causes people to make silly presumptions.

I'd like to hear someone accuse Stephen Hawking of "overanalysis" some day, that would be hilarious. I'm sure Mr. Hawking would be terribly offended.

It was clear to your girlfriend

You're such a crackup. Ignoring now.
    Laws will follow, besides, wiretapping laws already apply, shops are not public places.

Personally I think wearables are a fad, apparently 50% of users loose interest after a couple of months.

Yeah, private property is a different animal, for sure, point taken.

I don't think wearables are a fad at all. I think it's the next big thing, even if I'm not personally a fan of it!
    02-23-14 02:17 PM
    Yeah, sales people telling lies to get a bigger commission, that's a new one to you? Lol

I think the OP is taking the Elite thing a bit too far. I mean I had to put up with the same crap when my wife upgraded to the 9790 but going into a shop just for the sake of it without the intention to buy is taking it a bit far, last time I checked BB Elites weren't shop inspectors.

Imagine somebody walking into your work place and start telling you how to do your job.

Just one thing Eugene. I did not just walk into the shop to ask this. I went in as a customer and was served. Then I asked the question, as I noticed there were no BlackBerry smartphones on display. As she was adamant that she was telling the truth and what ever I said to correct her was wrong. I as a last resort informed her I was a BlackBerry Elite member, hoping it would help resolve this and that I knew she was wrong. End of.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Craigash; 02-23-14 at 03:01 PM.
    02-23-14 02:20 PM
    I totally get it from a sales perspective: most people are looking for the latest Samsung, or iPhone, mostly. So I can see how a sales rep is probably better informed and more likely to recommend. What's curious is the propensity to take the opposite tack and be negative about BlackBerry. If all commissions are equal, who cares what the customer buys in the end?

I've read on other threads that Samsung offers incentives to sales reps if they sell their phones. I don't know if that's true, but if it is, that would certainly explain the evangelism of some sales reps.

BTW, you're wrong: I do use a BlackBerry. I have a Z10, been using it since Feb, 2013 and I love it. The integrated Hub is amazing. But I also use iOS and Android (I have several tablets and phones). I actually like iOS and Android, but just not for my personal mobile use.
    No, I meant in the scenario that you probably don't use a Blackberry. Most of them probably use something else which they are much more familiar with.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    02-23-14 02:22 PM
    Then how is it possible that you claim to know whether something that happened 20 years ago between people you've never met was "obvious to others", hmm?

Perhaps it is that lack of "analysis" that causes people to make silly presumptions.

I'd like to hear someone accuse Stephen Hawking of "overanalysis" some day, that would be hilarious. I'm sure Mr. Hawking would be terribly offended.

You're such a crackup. Ignoring now.
    And my point continues to be made...the world needs people like you!

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-23-14 02:24 PM
    You know it's like we know we are walking into the lions den and just keep going. Let's face it. The majority of encounters in retail stores where a BlackBerry device purchase is attempted is greeted either with being steered to a different device, asked a ton of "why" questions, or told there's no phones available.

I take a different approach. I tell them what I want and ask if they have any. If no, I leave...No discussion. If they say yes, and then they ask me "why" BlackBerry questions, I respond cause its my preference, now can I purchase the phone please. If they do anything other than get the phone, I ask for a representative that will ring me up and activate the phone without wasting more of my time.

I'm a firm buyer. I don't give them a chance to start in with their tactics. As much as it pisses me off that they have an impact on sales, they are not going to impact me.

Posted via my BlackBerry Q10 or Z30 on VZW from Philly
    Yes, I do much the same.

I know what I want long before I ever get to the shop. I might have a small shortlist that I want to handle as a final "try before buy" thing, but once I've decided on "the one", the sales person is just a server. I would never be swayed by their opinion, as I've made my mind up by then. I wouldn't be an *** about it, I'd listen politely to what they said, but ... I'd walk out with my choice of phone, or I'd go and buy it elsewhere.
    No, I meant in the scenario that you probably don't use a Blackberry. Most of them probably use something else which they are much more familiar with.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Ah, gotcha.
    Why do you worry so much about other people? Shouldn't you worry about improving yourself? You're not perfect, are you?

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    I thought you wanted to be/stay on topic.
    Omnitech likes this.
    02-23-14 02:26 PM
339 ... 56789 ...