04-10-14 02:03 AM
58 123
tools
    who says BlackBerry is only focusing on phones? I thought they had a;ready made that pivot....hmmm it seems I missed the memo
    Under Chen BlackBerry is focusing on everything else, but SSSShhhh, don't tell anyone else....

They're still focused on whether or not the next 'device' is 1080p. Apparently they're confused by the Android OS runtime and think it's just another Android device where they can go on and on and on and on about specs.

Versus fluidity of the OS. Don't ever mention that, it upsets them apparently.
    04-07-14 10:52 PM
    It will never be a good time to do it. They will never have the market dominance they once had, or beat iOS or Android. But I think it is safe to see that without the pieces available that customers are moving to, that the competition is putting out, that they won't be considered at all. They should be able to do these things on the cheap, the OS is done, the hardware is a Z30 without a screen. Game pad support us in the OS.
    It'll be a toughie; I agree, there won't be any perfect time; I do kinda feel that it might be counter-intuitive for BBRY to try clawing back into the phone business when others are using their leads to inch into other categories that are still being defined.

I somewhat like the purported strategic retreat into Enterprise, but even there, I think there is opportunities to branch out into things that go a bit beyond just software and device management.

I still think cross-platform wearables can be a valuable investment.
    04-07-14 11:56 PM
    this simply isnt the case. They own QNX and actually pretty much have a monopoly in this business. QNX is delving into other connected areas as well. So it might not seem like they are offering up anything other then phones but they are. They arent going after the low end customer either. The Z3 was released as a developing market phone and possibly being used for a low end alternative for business class users. Their focus is enterprise. They have the q20 coming as well. They are not ignoring markets they are however picking and choosing markets which will give them the best return and right now the focus is on BES, BBM, QNX and some niche handset business. The handset business is mainly to move people off the old OS so they have a stronger user base. They cant afford to take on anything else other then this at the moment. Its all a big game in motion. They need to stop the bleeding and then continue finding areas that make money. So yes they might not be getting into specific areas you talk about the tablet market is a write off anyway. Almost no one is actually making any money at it. Apple perhaps the rest its just a way to move people on to their platform. Thats not a way to generate the revenue they need. So you might think they arent getting into specific areas and in some cases you are correct but their is a purpose to this.
    04-08-14 12:08 AM
    If that is the excuse then they will never succeed as they will always be in a Catch 22 situation. They have been in "transition" now for how long? Funny how smaller companies can make a TV box, or fitness band.

Posted via CB10
    No excuse, simply an observation based on what has been gleaned. Not the first time we've seen a company go through a period of adaptation. There was this niche company a few years back that hovered on the cusp of extinction for years. No one bought their products, and everyone said they were through. Now they're one of the biggest in the world.

Have we become so jaded as to realize that it takes time to undo a mess? So impatient that we let reality tell us we can't wait? The fact is, in a me, too world, we too often demand things that we don't really even understand why we made that choice. Oftentimes, those things we demanded disappoint us, because they aren't what we expected.

So, expect to be placated for a while longer.
    04-08-14 01:23 AM
    Qnet, M2M, Mobile computing....all parts of QNX that were HEAVILY hyped on these forums before BB10's launch. I really look forward to the innovations I feel BB is capable of but I dont think you can blame people for thinking the grass may be greener at this point in time. Hopefully Chen has some real aces up his sleeve
    04-08-14 02:27 PM
    BlackBerry already has a big presence in the automotive via the QNX, which is more than others have expanded by now. If talking further expansion, it is the medical field that BlackBerry should expand to. We can await Samsung to expand there soon, in order to penetrate a field that is not about simple consumer electronics.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 03:37 PM
    Qnet, M2M, Mobile computing....all parts of QNX that were HEAVILY hyped on these forums before BB10's launch. I really look forward to the innovations I feel BB is capable of but I dont think you can blame people for thinking the grass may be greener at this point in time. Hopefully Chen has some real aces up his sleeve
    These were hyped before that all the way back to when PlayBook was launched. Where is the distributed processing. My BB10 phone and PlayBook working with each other to crunch numbers.

Posted via CB10
    Rello likes this.
    04-08-14 06:06 PM
    BlackBerry is chasing low end markets with the Z3 and totally ignoring this expansion beyond the phone into complimentary, connected devices.
    Haha, Oh dear. If only you knew
    04-08-14 06:11 PM
    Haha, Oh dear. If only you knew
    Care to share? The car side I don't count because it isn't BlackBerry or even QNX branded.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 06:38 PM
    Huh? It's everybody else that's obsessed with phones...

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 06:41 PM
    These were hyped before that all the way back to when PlayBook was launched. Where is the distributed processing. My BB10 phone and PlayBook working with each other to crunch numbers.

Posted via CB10
    haha yup i forgot about that one too..."coming soon" i bet
    04-08-14 07:23 PM
    I was just thinking about the fire tv this weekend and how much it makes me wish the cyclone had come/ was coming out. I want to be fully immersed in a BB ecosystem, not half android half blackberry like I am now. Sure I could use the hdmi but it would be nice to have a content consumption device on its own you know?
    04-08-14 08:09 PM
    I was just thinking about the fire tv this weekend and how much it makes me wish the cyclone had come/ was coming out. I want to be fully immersed in a BB ecosystem, not half android half blackberry like I am now. Sure I could use the hdmi but it would be nice to have a content consumption device on its own you know?
    Yep this is my point. When I had got the PlayBook, and the Cyclone rumors started coming out, and BBX/BB10 phones were going to be out "soon", it was very exciting and it seemed like BlackBerry was finally getting it. They were going all in to compete with the big boys. Then they just focused on phones, dumped the PlayBook, dropped the Cyclone development and here we are with a bunch of phones that aren't selling, a bunch of pissed off PlayBook owners, and prototypes of the Cyclone floating out their leaving people to wonder what if. Hell it wouldn't surprise me if Netflix bailed after the Cyclone was scrapped as their was obviously a file on the prototypes.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 08:53 PM
    who says BlackBerry is only focusing on phones? I thought they had a;ready made that pivot....hmmm it seems I missed the memo
    Your right of course, there are the four components, Phones, QNX, Enterprise and BBM, but for the moment with the Jakarta just around the corner, there is mostly a lot of hype around the phone part. Especially here on CrackBerry anyway. Long live BlackBerry.
    04-08-14 08:53 PM
    @Inchols "BlackBerry focuses only on phones" is your starting point here and it's miles away from my perception. QNX as a (1 out of 4) division is a strong signal; BlackBerry (the enterprise) just is one step away from the Internet of Things and M2M (machine to machine) leadership. At least, they are one stroke ahead the competition and are already "ready to go" (in fact "running" in several areas like automotive) while others are still experimenting.

Now, if you talk about physical devices, I agree that they (probably) won't release anything but smartphones in the coming year(s ?). The PlayBook was a financial abyss, I won't bet a penny on "exotic hardware" for now.

But you know the adage : "Those who made ​​a fortune during the gold rush were not gold diggers, but those selling shovels". That's what QNX and the attached services are : tools for the $hundreds Billions IoT and M2M markets. The kind of tool you mandatory need to enter the market.
    nycspaces. likes this.
    04-09-14 02:43 AM
    @Inchols "BlackBerry focuses only on phones" is your starting point here and it's miles away from my perception. QNX as a (1 out of 4) division is a strong signal; BlackBerry (the enterprise) just is one step away from the Internet of Things and M2M (machine to machine) leadership. At least, they are one stroke ahead the competition and are already "ready to go" (in fact "running" in several areas like automotive) while others are still experimenting.

Now, if you talk about physical devices, I agree that they (probably) won't release anything but smartphones in the coming year(s ?). The PlayBook was a financial abyss, I won't bet a penny on "exotic hardware" for now.

But you know the adage : "Those who made ​​a fortune during the gold rush were not gold diggers, but those selling shovels". That's what QNX and the attached services are : tools for the $hundreds Billions IoT and M2M markets. The kind of tool you mandatory need to enter the market.
    Yes but they are always "one step away", getting ready to leapfrog the competition. Etc. The longer they take to get there, the more soiled, tarnished and irrelevant the brand becomes, and the negative perception continues to build. People want more than phones now. They want complimentary device that work flawlessly together, and would prefer to stay all in the same brand to guarantee it works, or at least go to a single point for problem resolution. We've been hearing BlackBerry state just what you have stated for years, and it still isn't here. In the automotive side the industry is more excited about Android and Apple coming in and it is generating more buzz then QNX. It is frustrating to sit back watch, and hear the same tired "coming soon" from BlackBerry or people here that are just parroting what the company has said, when their track record for delivering us abysmal.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 05:40 AM
    Smart watches are a fad and niche market. Why move into another sector of the mobile world that they will lose money on?

Right now BBerry cant afford to have anymore loosing ventures. They should be of course focusing on what got the company to where it used to be, handsets and second to none communications.

FYI, the only companies making any money in the smartphone market is apple, and Samsung on the android side. They have enough cash to burn to start a venture and lose 100 mill without batting an eyelash. BBerry on the other hand doesn't even have 1 mill to lose on a whim if they went into another venture besides phones and communications.
    04-09-14 06:13 AM
    Smart watches are a fad and niche market. Why move into another sector of the mobile world that they will lose money on?

Right now BBerry cant afford to have anymore loosing ventures. They should be of course focusing on what got the company to where it used to be, handsets and second to none communications.

FYI, the only companies making any money in the smartphone market is apple, and Samsung on the android side. They have enough cash to burn to start a venture and lose 100 mill without batting an eyelash. BBerry on the other hand doesn't even have 1 mill to lose on a whim if they went into another venture besides phones and communications.
    People here have been saying that BlackBerry needs to cater to niche market. Basically the excuses I hear here are that BlackBerry can't compete with the others, they don't have the resources, and they will eventually get there.

They have great phones with 10.2.1 now but nobody knows it outside of the base, and many of the base are scared to stick their necks out and recommend the platform based on being burnt by doing this with things like the PlayBook, and the BB10 launch fiasco. When people complain about advertising the excuses of resources comes up again.

Basically what you can piece together by the logic in here is BlackBerry is done because they can't advertise, can't expand beyond phones, and because they are in the transition still.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 06:52 AM
    They need to identify the next disruptive technology and stay away from the me-too implementations. QNX and M2M is the promise, can they or do they have enough true innovation within the 4 walls to make it happen??? If they can innovate in m2m with an offering that is not BBRY specific but is the next mobile killer app that everyone needs to license they could radically change their outlook.

It might not be consumer facing but it seems MSFT makes more on Android Licencing fees in a year than BBRY's total market cap...all for doing nothing but holding a key patent. If the QNX potential can be harnessed into the M2M space and integrated into a mobile offering rather than a BBRY offering they could certainly come back, re-build the war chest, and if by staying lean and smart re-focus back on how the handset market plays into this.
    04-09-14 08:36 AM
    You looking for a BlackFire TV or something? LOL
    04-09-14 08:47 AM
    Yes but they are always "one step away", getting ready to leapfrog the competition. Etc. The longer they take to get there, the more soiled, tarnished and irrelevant the brand becomes, and the negative perception continues to build. People want more than phones now. They want complimentary device that work flawlessly together, and would prefer to stay all in the same brand to guarantee it works, or at least go to a single point for problem resolution. We've been hearing BlackBerry state just what you have stated for years, and it still isn't here. In the automotive side the industry is more excited about Android and Apple coming in and it is generating more buzz then QNX. It is frustrating to sit back watch, and hear the same tired "coming soon" from BlackBerry or people here that are just parroting what the company has said, when their track record for delivering us abysmal.

Posted via CB10
    So what's the solution ? Invest Billions into hardware we know costly (negative margins or break even at very best) on a market where BlackBerry has (at best) zero legitimity ? Samsung and the likes on the smartwatch market (yet a tiny market) are investing piles of $, betting on future incomes.
    As of date, this is not something BlackBerry can afford.

I believe the software approach (the kind you pay fees/royalties for) is the good one not only to put a foot in various area, but mostly lock the market at your advantage.

About the automotive segment, I'm very glad people get excited. About half of this excitement will promote QNX Automotive platform (exactly because it's cross platform connected for years already) and I'm not even pinching my nose when I realize once again Apple pulls the cover with a "simple" coating, namely AppleCar. Nevermind, money has no smell.

M. Chen's mantra is execution and, so far, I must say I'm quite confident he will stick to it and deliver.

SF
    04-09-14 09:00 AM
    In such a short period of time Chen has done well, or very well. I believe BlackBerry will continue through Chen to do well. The Jarkata will reveal to which degree the people of Indonesia will flock to and favour the new BlackBerry experience in BB10. We all know this could be very interesting, and could have a very positive impact from sentiments with repercussions moving forward into BlackBerry's future with it's hardware. Repercussions reaching out to the rest of the world with a more positive note. Let's wait and see. I don't believe as does the OP that BlackBerry needs to expend, and be less focused on the hand held devises at this time (if I understand the OP correctly). Strong small steps can also be most productive in the long run. Remaining focused on the here and now by aiming for the most productive results, for the least amount of money spent is important. We don't have to all agree. I'm glad Chen is making the decisions here.
    Agree that at this point small steps are the only way to proceed.

BUT limiting devices and form factors, limits the whole ecosystem. Apple is growing in enterprise, not because of the iPhone necessarily but because of the iPad. Which does in turn help iPhone sales and overall adoption....

Many here think that the only device needed will be the phone and that then it will be a matter of having different displays. While it's a nice idea, it isn't really the direction the rest of the market is heading in. And it sure isn't going to happen within the time frame that BlackBerry has left.

Chen is doing a good job with what he had to work with...

At the earning report in September, if sales of BB10 devices (Jarkata) are not shown to have magically taken off in Indonesia, due to the lack of BIS.... will that be the turning point that will allow reality to take hold?
    04-09-14 09:13 AM
    So what's the solution ? Invest Billions into hardware we know costly (negative margins or break even at very best) on a market where BlackBerry has (at best) zero legitimity ? Samsung and the likes on the smartwatch market (yet a tiny market) are investing piles of $, betting on future incomes.
    As of date, this is not something BlackBerry can afford.

I believe the software approach (the kind you pay fees/royalties for) is the good one not only to put a foot in various area, but mostly lock the market at your advantage.

About the automotive segment, I'm very glad people get excited. About half of this excitement will promote QNX Automotive platform (exactly because it's cross platform connected for years already) and I'm not even pinching my nose when I realize once again Apple pulls the cover with a "simple" coating, namely AppleCar. Nevermind, money has no smell.

M. Chen's mantra is execution and, so far, I must say I'm quite confident he will stick to it and deliver.

SF
    Why does it have to be Billions? Roku was founded in 2002, and had received on $67.4 Million in funding as of July 25, 2012, and that was just after a $45 Million dollar investment. Fit bit just raided and additional $43 Million dollars for the fitness bands. I think too many people here over estimate how much it costs to birth a product. Do you think Amazon spent Billions to throw Android on a box with an HDMI port?

They have an OS in BB10, that can be put on tablets, TV Boxes, and should be able to be stripped down to a fitness and/or smart watch functionality real easily with minimal investment and could partner with a hardware maker like the Foxconn Z3 deal to make the devices. I know that BlackBerry has spent Billions on failed products, but other companies have spent Millions on successful ones.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 10:32 AM
    [...] but other companies have spent Millions on successful ones.
    While I can definitely see value in the future, I don't believe any of these "accessories" made any profit yet.
    About costs, it's not the cost to create a product that counts (I'm pretty sure BlackBerry has some nice gadgets in the drawer already), it's operational costs, when you are a global (worldwide) company. Short story : each device sold costs before the range becomes profitable after you've sold a solid number; likely in the next generation. 1st gen rarely wins.
    Headcount, $promotion, $support ... nothing BlackBerry can do amateur, nor has in excess right now.

Anyways, right now, they have another focus, away from the individuals : the enterprise. And I believe any penny available is yet to be invested in that direction.
    04-09-14 10:52 AM
    BlackBerry's fundamental strategy has changed or rather gone back to its roots. The first BlackBerry devices were built to be sold to Enterprise IT Managers and they are going back to that.

Now, before everyone screams BYOD just remember that they are only targeting key verticals where BYOD is not feasible like Government, Financial, Legal, etc. I imagine their goal is to be the number one corporate issued device out there. The Z3 supports such large scale deployments. Such a strategy also requires fewer carrier partners (see T-Mobile).

In the recent past they made the mistake of attempting to enter the mainstream consumer market with BB10 and PlayBook. This is where Cyclone came from and it's a relief they are backing away from this market. Because they don't understand it at all and cannot compete with Samsung Apple Google Amazon out of sheer scale.

If BB's software strategy in the past was to maximize phone sales, it is now to maximize service revenue. The only phone sales that matter are the ones with a BES license attached.

If BlackBerry invests in building peripherals it should be cheap tablets that double as in-field modules/handheld scanners. Their money comes from managing large scale connected device deployments and not from the latest Iron Man rental.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-09-14 11:31 AM
58 123