I thought Blackberry was supposed to be a leader here?

How Google and Apple are turning your car into a giant smartphone - NBC News.com

- R.
    12-30-13 04:58 PM
    Never heard of QNX huh? You know, the system that is in a large majority of the cars Apple and Google are trying to get into.
    • Acura
    • Audi (Yes, I'm aware of the Google / Audi news)
    • BMW
    • Chrysler
    • Daewoo
    • GM
    • Hyundai
    • Landrover
    • Porsche
    • Saab

And more... - http://www.qnx.com/company/customer_stories/
    Corbu and jstirtzinger like this.
    12-30-13 05:04 PM
    Isn't it also on the space shuttle?

BB Proud
    12-30-13 05:24 PM
    Never heard of QNX huh? You know, the system that is in a large majority of the cars Apple and Google are trying to get into.
    • Acura
    • BMW
    • Chrysler
    • Daewoo
    • GM
    • Hyundai
    • Landrover
    • Porsche
    • Saab

And more... - Customers
    Yes, Bla1ze, I have. That's why I asked. But once again it seems that in an area touted as a Blackberry strength, Blackberry isn't on anyone's radar. Maybe QNX will be under all these iOS and Android autotainment systems, but that doesn't help Blackberry's case unless people are aware of it. And even then, if they know of it as QNX and not "Blackberry's QNX" or "Blackberry QNX" then the average consumer, car buyer and auto exec won't have any idea of the Blackberry association. Where's the benefit in that?

According to what you said, that article should have been entitled "How Blackberry, Google and Apple ..." at the very least. I was asking why it wasn't.

- R.
    cgangoli and Knightcrawler like this.
    12-30-13 05:31 PM
    Yes, Bla1ze, I have. That's why I asked. But once again it seems that in an area touted as a Blackberry strength, Blackberry isn't on anyone's radar. Maybe QNX will be under all these iOS and Android autotainment systems, but that doesn't help Blackberry's case unless people are aware of it. And even then, if they know of it as QNX and not "Blackberry's QNX" or "Blackberry QNX" then the average consumer, car buyer and auto exec won't have any idea of the Blackberry association. Where's the benefit in that?

According to what you said, that article should have been entitled "How Blackberry, Google and Apple ..." at the very least. I was asking why it wasn't.

- R.
    Why does it matter if people know who is responsible for the backbone of their infotainment system? From a business stand point, as long as they continue to be the backbone, thats all that matters.

Do we need to tout the name BlackBerry as being a background program of the actual google/ apple user interface? I dont see that as a win in my book, but if they owned both the UI and background programming than yes, id love to see that BlackBerry QNX logo on every single car produced

Posted via CB10
    propeller10 and SK122387 like this.
    12-31-13 06:58 AM
    Rooster raises a good point. Ok qnx has been in the infrastructure of many cars for years and earns a modest profit from this. The question is how this can be exploited to BlackBerry's advantage in the smartphone arena to provide another major revenue stream. They've been crowing about this prospect for years but have delivered zilch.
    Marauder2 likes this.
    12-31-13 09:32 AM
    Just my opinion here blackberry should try and keep qnx as the backbone and make it so people could super-impose (i.e. bluetooth, miracast, bridge) there smartphone on there in-car dash, maybe allow a specific car UI.
    12-31-13 09:51 AM
    I thought Blackberry was supposed to be a leader here?

How Google and Apple are turning your car into a giant smartphone - NBC News.com

- R.
    Until Google launches some satellites to broadcast content, it's just another "beta" product from them. It will probably come with ads.
    12-31-13 10:02 AM
    Good old advertising article that's void of facts. BlackBerry could have the same article if they paid for it. Funny how some think these articles are anything but advertising.

Posted via CB10
    Loc22 likes this.
    01-01-14 10:07 AM
    Rooster raises a good point. Ok qnx has been in the infrastructure of many cars for years and earns a modest profit from this. The question is how this can be exploited to BlackBerry's advantage in the smartphone arena to provide another major revenue stream. They've been crowing about this prospect for years but have delivered zilch.
    The answer is, they can't.

QNX doesn't make Blackberry a lot of money. And in order for QNX to continue to be used by car manufacturers, it will need to work with Android and iOS - otherwise the manufacturers would abandon it for something else. It'll work seamlessly and people won't know or care what's running in the car - they just know their phone will work with it.

Having QNX work with BB10 offers no advantage for Blackberry - people aren't going to buy a BB10 device because it works with QNX, since the infinitely more popular Android and iOS will work with it just the same.

Other than using QNX to run on their handsets (which sell horribly), all QNX does for Blackberry is give them a small revenue stream.

All this talk about QNX running in cars, used by NASA, nuclear plants, etc. giving Blackberry an advantage was and continues to be nonsense.
    01-01-14 10:34 AM
    Why does it matter if people know who is responsible for the backbone of their infotainment system? From a business stand point, as long as they continue to be the backbone, thats all that matters.

Do we need to tout the name BlackBerry as being a background program of the actual google/ apple user interface? I dont see that as a win in my book, but if they owned both the UI and background programming than yes, id love to see that BlackBerry QNX logo on every single car produced

Posted via CB10
    I beg to differ in this as being know by the end user makes alot of difference. This will definitely carry alot of mileage for BlackBerry at a time when they need it most.

I'm sure this will then be able to even translate into additional device sales as well if people know that the company is not bankrupt or gone.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-14 10:42 AM
    This Is why it matters that people know.

01-01-14 01:25 PM
    Funny how everyone is up in arms over this when not long ago most including myself didn't know qnx existed.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-14 01:42 PM
    • Acura
    • BMW
    • Chrysler
    • Daewoo
    • GM
    • Hyundai
    • Landrover
    • Porsche
    • Saab

And more... - http://www.qnx.com/company/customer_stories/
    You can add Infiniti/Nissan to the list. Many if us on the Infiniti car forums have uncovered QNX while hacking the OEM Sat Nav/music HardDisk on 2007 and newer models. Not sure how much deeper it runs.

Z30, 10.2.1.1925
    01-01-14 01:44 PM
    The answer is, they can't.

QNX doesn't make Blackberry a lot of money. And in order for QNX to continue to be used by car manufacturers, it will need to work with Android and iOS - otherwise the manufacturers would abandon it for something else.
    You can already use Android apps on QNX and the iOS would be on top of QNX.

So, why would a car company switch (beyond being thrown a ton of money from Google and Apple)?
    01-01-14 09:44 PM

So, why would a car company switch (beyond being thrown a ton of money from Google and Apple)?
    It's not a matter of switching. QNX will still be there, running underneath either Apple or Google's user interface.

*sigh* leave it to blackberry to acquire a software company that runs on literally everything but manages to make no money.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Bla1ze likes this.
    01-02-14 12:44 AM
    Audio has used elements of Google for a while now on top of QNX. The system that navigates the car, sets up its suspension, gear, even the headlights, is all linked in to the Google Earth-like Satnav system & it's data. This deal does not surprise me. I suspect Android will be running on top of QNX.

Let's not forget that Mercedes-Benz and BMW both use QNX, which both are much better than Audi anyway. Remember, only c**ks drive Audi's. Cars that are better than Android Audi's: the kings of german luxury/performance "teched-out"cars, the Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG and the BMW M5 & M3. Three QNX cars that can no doubt kick the crap out of Audi.

It's probably obvious that I'm not an Audi fan at all.

Hint: the next QNX car looks to be a Mercedes CLA, possibly the CLA45 AMG. I wish it was the Mercedes S-Class Coupe Concept or the Rolls-Royce Wraith.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bjschey; 01-02-14 at 10:47 AM.
    01-02-14 04:08 AM

- R.
    Honestly, the BlackBerry brand at this point is so beat up, it wouldn't exactly be the best idea to make anything "BlackBerry QNX"... QNX has been riding on their own for quite some time and there's no real reason to change that as of yet. Should the tides change for 'BlackBerry', then sure look at rebranding it but until they should just leave it alone.

There's nothing about QNX that can really help BlackBerry as its own entity in the consumer market. As mentioned already, not many people are going to rush out and buy a car with QNX just because BlackBerry owns them. Truth of the matter is, if you asked any normal person they'd have ZERO clue who QNX was.

I totally get what you're saying, you'd like to see more BlackBerry QNX association and BlackBerry be more of a driving force and let it be known that they're powering all this but it's not the right time as of yet. It would be a total gamble to mix the two in a huge way right now.

It could either help the BlackBerry brand or it lower the QNX value by being associated with BlackBerry. As much as that sucks to say. Improve the BlackBerry brand first, then push BlackBerry QNX because again, right now QNX is fine on their own.

Also, you need to step back and look at it from a car buyer perspective. What exactly does BlackBerry offer that would appeal to customers buying a car? BlackBerry Maps? No. BlackBerry Travel? Maybe. BBM? Might be a little rough to control in a car. Where as Google Maps is a pretty well trusted mapping application, Google Now in the car would be pretty slick and having access to your iTunes library that's worth thousands of dollars on the go would be great.

All those things MIGHT get people to buy a car..... Do you think it would have the same impact on consumers if the dealer said something like 'You'll have access to the BlackBerry Browser and BlackBerry Maps and hey look, you can even access your BlackBerry Messenger'.. doubt it. I think QNX and ultimately BlackBerry, for right now is fine with being the underlying technology that powers it all.

A simple way to look at it is that Apple and Google are pretty much helping sell QNX as a platform as it stands today, right now. Though I'd be remiss if I didn't say that could change, eventually. There's no shame in taking the back seat here because the general public doesn't know wtf their vehicles are running on anyway and as long as the deals with auto manufacturers keep coming, it's all good for QNX.
    Toodeurep and BeautyEh like this.
    01-02-14 04:44 AM
    It's not a matter of switching. QNX will still be there, running underneath either Apple or Google's user interface.

*sigh* leave it to blackberry to acquire a software company that runs on literally everything but manages to make no money.

$10 million in profit a year is more than "no money".
    01-02-14 07:20 AM
    $10 million in profit a year is more than "no money".
    Well that i'll grant you. I could live comfortably for the rest of my days with it.

But its not going to save Blackberry.

01-02-14 12:16 PM
    Actually, car manufacturers would probably not allow any Blackberry branding in their cars because the average potential customer would think "I don't have a Blackberry, I have an iPhone and I wanted a system that would work with an iPhone." Even if the salesperson got a chance to explain that it doesn't matter what smartphone you use, the customer might still think that the system is optimized for Blackberry. That's not something the car companies would want.
    01-02-14 12:31 PM

I said that QNX has to continue to work well with Android and iOS, otherwise the manufacturers will switch. So QNX in cars provides little advantage to Blackberry and BB10 over Android/iOS.
    01-02-14 12:44 PM
    Actually, car manufacturers would probably not allow any Blackberry branding in their cars because the average potential customer would think "I don't have a Blackberry, I have an iPhone and I wanted a system that would work with an iPhone." Even if the salesperson got a chance to explain that it doesn't matter what smartphone you use, the customer might still think that the system is optimized for Blackberry. That's not something the car companies would want.
    That's the reason for BlackBerry keeping QNX as QNX, not BlackBerry or BlackBerry QNX. It's also the reason why Audi is not saying much about the Android partnership. Audi already has the perception that only c**ks drive their cars (thanks to Top Gear), and I'm sure they don't just want c**ks with Android phones to drive their cars. They want c**ks with BlackBerry's & iPhones too, so of course they are trying to be discreet about the Android deal. That's why they'll talk about their new Laser/LED headlights for hours, even days (FYI Laser/LED headlights are illegal in the U.S., thanks to the c**ks in D.C.).

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 01:20 PM
    Honestly, the BlackBerry brand at this point is so beat up, it wouldn't exactly be the best idea to make anything "BlackBerry QNX"... QNX has been riding on their own for quite some time and there's no real reason to change that as of yet. Should the tides change for 'BlackBerry', then sure look at rebranding it but until they should just leave it alone.

There's nothing about QNX that can really help BlackBerry as its own entity in the consumer market. As mentioned already, not many people are going to rush out and buy a car with QNX just because BlackBerry owns them. Truth of the matter is, if you asked any normal person they'd have ZERO clue who QNX was.

I totally get what you're saying, you'd like to see more BlackBerry QNX association and BlackBerry be more of a driving force and let it be known that they're powering all this but it's not the right time as of yet. It would be a total gamble to mix the two in a huge way right now.

It could either help the BlackBerry brand or it lower the QNX value by being associated with BlackBerry. As much as that sucks to say. Improve the BlackBerry brand first, then push BlackBerry QNX because again, right now QNX is fine on their own.

Also, you need to step back and look at it from a car buyer perspective. What exactly does BlackBerry offer that would appeal to customers buying a car? BlackBerry Maps? No. BlackBerry Travel? Maybe. BBM? Might be a little rough to control in a car. Where as Google Maps is a pretty well trusted mapping application, Google Now in the car would be pretty slick and having access to your iTunes library that's worth thousands of dollars on the go would be great.

All those things MIGHT get people to buy a car..... Do you think it would have the same impact on consumers if the dealer said something like 'You'll have access to the BlackBerry Browser and BlackBerry Maps and hey look, you can even access your BlackBerry Messenger'.. doubt it. I think QNX and ultimately BlackBerry, for right now is fine with being the underlying technology that powers it all.

A simple way to look at it is that Apple and Google are pretty much helping sell QNX as a platform as it stands today, right now. Though I'd be remiss if I didn't say that could change, eventually. There's no shame in taking the back seat here because the general public doesn't know wtf their vehicles are running on anyway and as long as the deals with auto manufacturers keep coming, it's all good for QNX.
    They should 'subtly' change the QNX eula so that it stipulates that any current utilisation of it requires the displaying of a GIANT BlackBerry logo. Lol!

CB10 on Z10
    01-02-14 01:57 PM
    Blaze has the right idea,and his editorial put it out there as an explanation for all the stories out their saying google and iOS are invading the automotive sector, blah blah blah.

BlackBerry is a tarnished brand name right now, that is a fact, and making the link between BlackBerry and QNX for the general public right now would be down right silly, as Blaze said, build back up the BlackBerry brand name first, than when the association is made it will actually bring value to the QNX brand.

QNX can continue to be the background that everything runs on, and as long as the QNX team keeps beefing up their software offerings (OTA software updates for cars, stereoscopic voice calling, etc) than they will continue to generate profit and maybe increase their profits as well as their customer base. (i would love to see 100% of cars running QNX)

Their is a time and place to make the link between BlackBerry and QNX, but that time is not now

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 06:46 PM
26 12