I'm sorry but this is one area where RIM is seriously lacking. The cat is out of the bag for both Samsung and Apple with regards to their respective flaghsip devices and update OS's. Apple has an iOS 6 icon on their website where people can see the upcoming features, relevant or not has been covered in other threads. Even though the no one (outside of Apple) has an idea what the device looks like.

RIM has BB10 with a potential release of mid - late fall. So where on your website do mention anything BB10 related? That's right NO WHERE!

Look, I want RIM to succeed but they are not doing themselves any favours by not even promoting the OS on their very own website. We are going on two months since the announcement in Orlando so why not get information to the public? As mentioned thousands of times RIM is not really in the best position to keep things to private.
    06-12-12 03:33 PM
    First... we have no idea for sure what the Iphone 5 will be... Apple has released no details..... anything out there is pure conjecture.....

As for OS... when Playbook OS 2 was close to release the features started to leak out from RIM... My guess is the same will happen with BB10......

Apple on the other hand clamped down tight and released no info from the company on OS6.... untill yesterday......

As for BB10.... if RIM did release details via hardware or OS... the media and bloggers would decimate anything RIM announces and kill any chance for a good lauch....
    Last edited by dbmalloy; 06-12-12 at 03:43 PM.
    06-12-12 03:40 PM
    They don't even know when they will release it, if they start making hype about it now sales of current BBs will drop rapidly and they are already weak. It wouldn't do them any good if they were to start promoting right now.
    06-12-12 03:41 PM
    The difference is that iOS 6 is backwards compatible, so it won't hurt sales of their current phones. BB10 will not be backwards compatible and they want to do as little as possible to talk about it too early. They had to let a little info out for the investing community and the developers, but they don't want the average consumer to know about it yet.

While I disagree with this logic, I truly believe this is what is going on. I get why they would do it, but at the same time I think talking about what has already been shown off of BB10 would be a better idea. Hopefully it's only 2 months before more info comes out and they start pushing BB10.
    06-12-12 03:51 PM
    First... we have no idea for sure what the Iphone 5 will be... Apple has released no details..... anything out there is pure conjecture..... Exactly that is why I mentioned no one outside of Apple knows what the IP5 looks like. Similar to BB10.
    As for OS... when Playbook OS 2 was close to release the features started to leak out from RIM... My guess is the same will happen with BB10......

Apple on the other hand clamped down tight and released no info from the company on OS6.... untill yesterday...... Again, similar to BB10 up until Orlando. There was speculation but that was all until BB10 was revealed. So now what is stopping from RIM posting anything BB10 related on their website?

As for BB10.... if RIM did release details via hardware or OS... the media and bloggers would decimate anything RIM announces and kill any chance for a good lauch....
    Why would the media decimate and rip them to shreds? I think if anything it would be a huge benefit to RIM. Get people talking, create the buzz of the next generation of Blackberry.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    06-12-12 03:53 PM
    Who in there right mind would say we have a total new OS coming near the end of the year, so don't bother buying a soon to be obsolete phone, costing us millions in revenue. Because that's basically what you want them to do...

/le sigh
    06-12-12 04:20 PM
    Who in there right mind would say we have a total new OS coming near the end of the year, so don't bother buying a soon to be obsolete phone, costing us millions in revenue. Because that's basically what you want them to do...

/le sigh
    The question you have to weigh though is how many people would hold off on going to a competitor and wait and see what BB10 holds if they knew more about it at this point. Basically any BB user that comes up for a new phone in the next 2 months and isn't happy with BB will leave and go to a competitor. If they knew more about BB10, maybe they would wait a little longer to see what's to come. But also, maybe they wouldn't.
    06-12-12 04:40 PM
    The question you have to weigh though is how many people would hold off on going to a competitor and wait and see what BB10 holds if they knew more about it at this point. Basically any BB user that comes up for a new phone in the next 2 months and isn't happy with BB will leave and go to a competitor. If they knew more about BB10, maybe they would wait a little longer to see what's to come. But also, maybe they wouldn't.

You are both right, except.....^minority of normal users and ˅Majority of normal users. There is info about BB10 (Forums and blogs and some tech sites, etc...) and RIM is continuing to lose market share and revenue (at least in North America) We know (read as hope) that BB10 should be pretty different to say the least, but where does RIM draw the line between not spilling the beans, but spilling revenue sources, or offer more in depth information about the new OS, and risk alienating potential NA customers? It's a tough call either way.

/le sigh
    06-12-12 06:17 PM
    Why in the name of all that is holy would RIM publish for public consumption details of
    a device and an OS that is as of this point unfinished, untested and has nothing coming
    close to the developer support (by this I mean working apps)

RIM has done quite a few things right in respect to BB10 but this would be akin to a very
    loud and public suicide.
    06-12-12 07:12 PM
    Why in the name of all that is holy would RIM publish for public consumption details of
    a device and an OS that is as of this point unfinished, untested and has nothing coming
    close to the developer support (by this I mean working apps)

RIM has done quite a few things right in respect to BB10 but this would be akin to a very
    loud and public suicide.

I can guarantee iOS6 isn't close to being finished. There is at least still two - three months until launch date for Apple. But guess what there are snippets of what is to come. Sure most of these enhancements are just upgraded features of iOS5 however, still people know what to expect.

You can't tell me that RIM has absolutely nothing to show for its efforts. I'm not talking a finished device. I'm referring to what this new OS has to offer to the consumer other than what was shown at the Blackberry conference. Something has to have been modified since then.

I'm not trying to put RIM and Apple on the same pedestal but Heins has to look at the big picture here and realize we need to get our ideas out to the people who could be potentially buying our smart phones. Reclaim some of that lost market share.
    06-12-12 08:08 PM

You can't tell me that RIM has absolutely nothing to show for its efforts. I'm not talking a finished device. I'm referring to what this new OS has to offer to the consumer other than what was shown at the Blackberry conference. Something has to have been modified since then.
    Completely different argument.

1) iOS for whatever it enhances or improves is a known quantity so releasing information on what
    are essentially incremental tweaks / upgrades / improvements isn't quite the same as the
    situation RIM is in (I'll come back to this)

2) iOS users will generally accept whatever is thrown at them and swear there has NEVER been
    anything like it in the history of mankind. Even if Apple was to release a device and OS that
    completely F'd the dog, there would still be legions of buyers. This is a given.

3) Unlike Apple, RIM is not revamping an OS or making minor device modifications. The OS
    is completely new. The device is unlike anything they have done and has the potential to be
    a game changer. With that, it is in their (RIMs) best interest to play this a close to the vest
    as possible. The worse thing they can do at this point is over promise, over hype and fail
    to deliver.

4) While everyone would like to know as many details as possible, and Kevin, Chris, Adam
    and the team are doing a good job in keeping us abreast, RIM has a vested interest in controlling
    the flow of information. That starts with what get published / released to the public.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-12-12 08:30 PM
    I get what you are saying. RIM is in a damned if you, damned if you don't position.

I also realize it is a completely new OS. One I hope does well on the BB10 if and when the device does get released. But RIM also needs to get the consumer to think about another product other than Apple or Android. Microsoft is nipping at RIM's heels as well with their upcoming WP8 devices.
    06-12-12 08:48 PM
    Hm, I agree but then I disgree.
    I agree that they should have some kind of BB10 related info on there.
    Didn't they make a preview video?
    I think I had saw it on Youtube, where it basically showed off the keyboard & the call screen or something.
    They could at least put that on there.

But at the same time nobody for sure knows the release. So it might not be that great of an idea to put BB10 info on the site if its not being released anytime soon (from what we know)

I think they should put up info a week or two before the phones release.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-12-12 09:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD