However, I do agree with you. BlackBerry hasn't done anything "revolutionary" for a long time now. This isn't really all mr.chens fault though. I cant even imagine the amount of people who work for Apple who are solely just responsible with coming up with new ideas.
    The thing about Apple that might surprise you is that they're actually quite a small company compared to the revenue they get in.

They have about 50,000 employees in the US, but more than half are actually Apple Store employees. The number of people working to support all of their lines (Mac, iPhone, iPod, iPad, accessories, Mac OS X, iOS, App Store, iTunes, dev tools, iCloud, iWork, iPhoto) etc. etc etc., is surprisingly small given the billions they bring in.
    06-11-14 06:27 AM
    Hopefully this will be an amazing device

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-con...t-drive-growth

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    06-11-14 07:24 AM
    The issue is as well not just a new device, there is no are consumer aspirations to BlackBerry amongst the mass consumer market anymore, and this is mainly due to perception, introducing a low end phone is definitely not going to change this, especially with no decent marketing support.

They just launched the Nokia XL, dual sim, android here in the UAE, it is out of stock!!!!!!, I went in to pick one up for my son, at the official Nokia store and major retailers, sold out, it's selling at like 150 USD, I don't care about specs, this is a device that has all the apps, no porting and converting and I don't know what else. It needs to be simple and make sense, and unfortunately it doesn't with BB.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 07:27 AM
    Don't get me wrong. I respect John Chen for what he has done. My question is where is that single most revolutionary moment, that device which can truly change the equilibrium
    The idea of Chen coming up with some "revolutionary device" by now is like saying "I think we've saved the patient from dying of a heart attack here on the operating table - quick, let's get him ready to play in his team's World Cup opener in a few days!" I missed where Chen said he was going to roll out a revolutionary device - especially by the end of June, 2014. Could you provide links to such statements?
    06-11-14 07:28 AM
    What would be revolutionary for BlackBerry right now would be if they could come up with a phone that actually had good/excellent specs (to appease almost everyone) and just keep working on the OS, making it more and more efficient (not that it isn't good already) and more appealing to non-BlackBerry fans.
    The bolded part alone is difficult; if BB came out with a phone with monster specs (feel free to identify that in some way you think is suitable),
    -- existing nay-sayers would poo-poo the phone with "doesn't matter, BBRY is dead - it's going to be bankrupt within a year"
    -- there would be people that would claim it's not enough,
    -- it might push the price to the point that people then start complaining it's too expensive,
    -- [insert other excuse here]

Even just "closing the app gap" without having to use Snap wouldn't get it; again, there would be cries of bankruptcy, it's too late, and so on. Similarly, my idea of what would be revolutionary differs from others. The fact is, if we all knew what would be considered "revolutionary" it would be that much easier for someone to get working on it (and others to copy). If it's going to happen, it's got to be something that (A) no one is expecting, (B) has major "wow" factor, (C) the masses say "damn, I gotta have that!" and (D) can't be quickly replicated by competitors (say, minimum 8-12 months to produce something similar). Oh, and it has to work relatively flawlessly.

Is it the phablet? Is it some other similar, "computer inside a phone" system? I don't know - but I'll be willing to bet it's not an iWatch or earphones or some other wearable.
    06-11-14 07:31 AM
    Are you kidding! Apple phones Revolutionary ? I agreed that they were when they first came out, just like BlackBerry was before them but really what was their last big idea, the fingerprint scanner? BlackBerry came up with that idea a couple of years ago and decided not to implement it because it wasn't reliable enough and it was a bit too gimmicky. As it turns up they were right how about the iwatch, wasn't there something called a pebble before that, and what is their next big thing a phone that will look a lot like the Z30 with quick notifications. What I will say is they do have great marketing with the ability to convince the masses that they are still innovative.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 08:30 AM
    I understand the OP's frustrations.. However, I don't expect to see Blackberry produce something with on-par or ahead-of-the-game features for quite some time for 2 reasons. 1. They are obviously focusing on what they're not totally behind on, which is BES, in hopes of generating income to have a little wiggle room for the consumer market. Which brings me to, 2. 2. Blackberry right now, plain and simple, doesn't have the money to take a loss on a phone with excessive specs, nor the ecosystem to support it if they just break even on the phone. Chen's driving a 20mpg car (Blackberry) with 3 gallons of gas left and 70 miles to go. If he floors it (builds the best phone ever) that car won't make it, plain and simple.

So, IMO, if you're waiting for the next Blackberry phone to rival the top phones out there, you may be there a while. I just hope they don't back out of the consumer market so much that NO Blackberry phones are offered through carriers. My local AT&T store displays 1 BB phone, and it's the Bold 9800.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    06-11-14 08:35 AM
    The device you seek, is somewhere over the rainbow, past the unicorn, and when you stumble across a little green guy, reach into his pot of gold...it'll be somewhere in there.

Kidding of course. ;-)

Devices you describe don't materialize to market as easily as the market would like. No surprise there. Quality and timeliness are at odds for all manufacturers. Do you want quality or quantity?

It's like in marriage, do you want to be right? Or do you want to be happy?

Take your pick. Can't have both.
    Grafic111 likes this.
    06-11-14 08:43 AM
    The device you seek, is somewhere over the rainbow, past the unicorn, and when you stumble across a little green guy, reach into his pot of gold...it'll be somewhere in there.

Kidding of course. ;-)

Devices you describe don't materialize to market as easily as the market would like. No surprise there. Quality and timeliness are at odds for all manufacturers. Do you want quality or quantity?

It's like in marriage, do you want to be right? Or do you want to be happy?

Take your pick. Can't have both.
    Currently BlackBerry does not have either of the both worlds. It does not get a Tick Mark on all the boxes in my book. And that seems to be the problem. They just seem to fall short of "something critical".

Posted from my SuperHuman Q10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    06-11-14 08:50 AM
    Currently BlackBerry does not have either of the both worlds. It does not get a Tick Mark on all the boxes in my book. And that seems to be the problem. They just seem to fall short of "something critical".

Posted from my SuperHuman Q10
    Well you seem to "fall short" when it comes to understanding what BBRY currently is, and what they believe will be their successful path going forward. You need to stop your drama, and join the real world
    06-11-14 08:59 AM
    To be honest, the last great revolution was the first iPhone.

I always say BlackBerry defined the smartphone, but Apple redefined it.

Unless BlackBerry can revolutionize the smartphone the way Apple did, I don't see them being anything more than a niche device. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as it allows them to focus more in areas where they have greater potential to innovate and grow, like Enterprise, Internet of Things, and Automobile Infotainment Systems.

Something that seems to have flown under the radar is Windows Phone may be implementing Kinect-like gestures in their interface. Answer a phone by simply holding it to your ear. Hang up by simply putting it in your pocket. Navigate without touching the screen. That is the kind of thing that makes people say "wow".

As awesome as BB10 is, it's not making the average person say "wow".

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk
    06-11-14 09:00 AM
    Sales =features?

Posted via CB10
    Sales = dollars = R&D = features

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    eyesopen1111 and Blacklatino like this.
    06-11-14 09:14 AM
    After they use BlackBerry 10, they will not want to switch to Android, especially not a low cost Android. BlackBerry 10 and iOS are way easier to use than Android and they just make sense. Android just seems to be a complete mess and is a pain to use. I have no clue how adoption rates are so high...but I guess when you give away your OS for free, phone manufacturers will use it. I bet if BB gave BB10 away for free, adoption rates would sky rocket.
    Something that is a "total mess" would not continue to sell, let alone be #1.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    06-11-14 09:16 AM
    The thing about Apple that might surprise you is that they're actually quite a small company compared to the revenue they get in.

They have about 50,000 employees in the US, but more than half are actually Apple Store employees. The number of people working to support all of their lines (Mac, iPhone, iPod, iPad, accessories, Mac OS X, iOS, App Store, iTunes, dev tools, iCloud, iWork, iPhoto) etc. etc etc., is surprisingly small given the billions they bring in.
    So what you're saying is they bring their employees to the consumers. This means recognition, marketing, customer support, etc. I never really thought about it this way. It sure seems to work.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-11-14 09:21 AM
    If you are waiting for a revolutionary product, you might be waiting for a while. Blackberry is going to have to get the red ink off it's balance sheet first. The best way to do that with a shaky company us to improve in the places where they have the best odds of success.. And make money at it. That's the enterprise space. When/if they get that running profitably, they will then have SOME resources to pour into the consumer space.
    Lets be honest.. Blackberry's problems are self inflicted. They gambled that the iPhone/Android products were a passing fancy, and stubbornly held on to that belief while customers walked away. Now, Blackberry throws the equivalent of a Hail Mary pass in BB10, which is app deficient, and everyone expects that the world will come knocking at the door again?
    Blackberry will be successful again if..
    1- Stop bleeding cash and actually make money.
    2- Make a product that gives customers a compelling reason to switch to Blackberry
    3- Provide after sale products and support that gives the user a positive experience.
    4- Know your market! Provide products that your customer is asking for!
    5- Never again underestimate a competitor. They want the same customers. If you won't provide the product the customers want, your competitor gladly will.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    06-11-14 09:23 AM
    Where is the bbm update, forget new device.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 09:25 AM
    Where is the bbm update, forget new device.

Posted via CB10
    When they're telling 60 million smartphone users to **** off by not giving BBM to WP, the friends effect will soon take hold and people will revert to WhatsApp, snapchat and Kik etc.
    06-11-14 09:33 AM
    Everything that was "revolutionary" died Meego and WebOS. Other OS' are still picking up features from those OS'
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    06-11-14 09:34 AM
    When they're telling 60 million smartphone users to **** off by not giving BBM to WP, the friends effect will soon take hold and people will revert to WhatsApp, snapchat and Kik etc.
    Aren't they developing a WP app? Or has that changed?

06-11-14 09:37 AM
    06-11-14 09:43 AM
    That's what you call a high quality phone? They pulled an Apple and took last years phone, added 2 things and released it as new. Aside from the LTE and added SD slot, the rest of the specs on the Moto G are far from high quality.

Aside from LTE (currently) and Quad-core, the Z3 specs are on par, if not better than, the Moto G LTE, for less. Future versions of the Z3 will have LTE although I don't know the difference in price for the LTE.
    06-11-14 09:46 AM
    Nah, that's not the revolution. The phone is too much in the low-end of the market. Also, the Nokia Lumia 520 (hope I don't have the wrong number in mind) did that before Motorola had the idea.
    Also keep in mind: how many developing markets need a phone with LTE?
    You DO realize that the Moto G 4G is a new version of the Moto G for the developed market, but that the Moto G (without LTE) will continue to be made for emerging markets, along with the lower-end and even much cheaper Moto E, right? The Moto G is direct competition to the Z3, and the Moto G 4G is direct competition to the (assumed) Z3 LTE.

A Samsung Galaxy S4 for 200$ is more in line of where we are heading.
    As in, you can pretty much buy a phone from multiple chinese manufacturers with very similar components for a price of around 200$.
    That's not going to happen anytime soon - high-end devices are still in high demand all over the world, even if the majority in many places can't afford them, and premium models will always have a premium price. Just because the Camero has impressive performance doesn't mean the Corvette isn't still twice the price. Now, i agree that the prices of high-end name-brand phones will come down, but I doubt you'll see them for less than $500 in the next several years.

But the "step-down" (from the flagship) phones will continue to improve, and those phones will definitely be great bargains.
    06-11-14 10:06 AM
    Aren't they developing a WP app? Or has that changed?

There's the issue
    06-11-14 10:20 AM
    Your kidding right. Moto G has been universally panned for cheap hardware and for a bevy of software/hardware compatibility issues.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    06-11-14 10:24 AM
    Let's give credit where it's due.

BlackBerry devices today offer great value for consumers that require the features that is presently available. And the features that is presently offered, BlackBerry does a pretty good job at it. I'm not about to trade in my BlackBerry for other devices for the very reason I'm happy with how it does those very things.

But value is a very subjective "thing" for all people. People make decisions in bells and whistles vs price all the time. Android is popular for the options it offers thru its apps to the vast consumer market relative to the price people have to shell out. Same with Apple. So when people have to choose, they often try to get the most bang out of their buck. I do it. But my definition of value is different from others. It's not wrong. Just different.
    06-11-14 10:24 AM
189 12345 ...