Does anyone know why RIM (a canadian company) would leave out français québécois from their list of language on the blackberry ? there is an option for brazilian portuguese and even british english but no québec french ?

Is there a way to download additional langagues ?

Thank you

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-09 07:19 PM
    You should be able to install french through DM.

04-13-09 10:30 PM
    comes with every OS.
    04-13-09 11:07 PM
    I'm not looking for the stanard français because there are vocabulary differences between this and french spoken in québec.

04-13-09 11:28 PM
    isnt it close enough to work though?
    04-13-09 11:43 PM
    I'm not looking for the stanard français because there are vocabulary differences between this and french spoken in québec.

dont think the quebec french option will become available... maybe who knows.. but yes i do agree there is a difference in the vocabulary of both
    04-14-09 09:54 AM
    Does anyone know why RIM (a canadian company) would leave out français québécois from their list of language on the blackberry ? there is an option for brazilian portuguese and even british english but no québec french ?

Thank you

Are you sure French Canadian isn't in there? I don't have any extra languages installed, but I'm pretty sure I saw it before I cleared the languages off.
    04-14-09 10:20 AM
    Are you sure French Canadian isn't in there? I don't have any extra languages installed, but I'm pretty sure I saw it before I cleared the languages off.
    One would certainly think a Canadian (or should I spell it Canadien???) company would have a French Canadian option.
    04-14-09 10:33 AM
    Come on, there is no such thing as Quebec french(written). Quebec French sound different when spoken, there is a Quebec accent on the french language, Canadian French and Quebec French share the same spelling of words.
    04-14-09 12:42 PM
    You do have to wonder. Based on normal population distribution, there should be about 25% French Canadian speaking employees.

I am sure that was a hot topic when the decisions were being made, but there is only one French language option in a BlackBerry.
    04-14-09 01:28 PM
    Belgina French and Swiss French is also missing. You seem to just get French.

I do not think that you will find and answer here. You should contact RIM or, your loacal carrier phone store and ask them to help you.

I just looked on my harddisk at OS 4.6.1.206 and OS 5.0.0.90 for my 8900 (I did not have any 9000 OSs installed) and both just list French as the only option.
    04-14-09 01:42 PM
    How 'bout Swiss German?
    04-14-09 02:25 PM
    How 'bout Swiss German?
    Same thing, I think.

Swiss-German is more a large collection of spoken dialects and accents within the Eastern part of Switzerland. It is used today to differentiate between the various Cantons and towns and, of course, fro, Germany. It preserve a national and local identity but it is nt really a written language. School children are taught to write Hoch-Deutsch (high German). Even so, certain ords such as Greuzi (hello) are now written.

In earlier times I am sure that the distinctive Swiss-German dilatects came about due to various valleys being completely cut off by snow for up to 5 months of the year and that gave enouhg social separation for the strong accent to mature. Today, with helicopters and trains and good roads, almost nowhere is thus isolated for more than a few days in an emergency.

I live in the Western end of the country where we speak French and even there we have audible differences depending upon where you come from.
    04-15-09 01:46 AM
    You do have to wonder. Based on normal population distribution, there should be about 25% French Canadian speaking employees.

I am sure that was a hot topic when the decisions were being made, but there is only one French language option in a BlackBerry.
    I doubt it was discussed much at all.

First, french isn't normally distributed in Canada, it's very compartmentalized. For example, even some place as close to Quebec (province not city) as Missussauga (relatively speaking) there are more Chinese first language speakers than french. There are more Polish first language speakers. But that's not really the issue.

The only difference between Canadian French and "Quebec french" that would need different spell checking is slang. (Here in the Outaouais, that generally means every sentence has at least one English word in it ) There aren't any localized alternative spellings for "proper" french words that would dictate the need for a new dictionary just for Quebec. On the same token, I don't know of any variants of dictionaries made solely to accommodate slang.

In contrast there are noted differences in accepted proper spelling between US and Canadian English that necessitate distinct dictionaries.
    04-15-09 08:06 AM

Thank you

It is probably a commercial decision. There are not enough differences from standard french, and not enough users to make the extra development economic.
    04-15-09 09:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD