I think it is interesting that the US release ties in with the NCAA basketball tournament. There are a lot of similarities between the two. This year, BlackBerry is coming in as an underdog, but with a lot of promise. The only issue is that the last couple of days make it look like they were happy just to make it to the show. Here's what I mean.

I love my Z10. It is definitely a great device, and so much better than previous BlackBerry devices. I love showing it off, and demoing the features. It's the phones features that really sell the device. Even CrackBerry reported that it takes some time to get used to how to use the phone. So why don't the commercials address this? With each basketball game I watch, there are several BlackBerry commercials played - fireman sliding down a pole, soccer player sliding across wet grass, person floating in a pool (with supposedly a Z10 in hand), a two second clip of the keyboard flicking, and maybe five seconds of someone accessing the hub. I like the commercial. I think it definitely is with the "keep Moving" theme. But it is just a step above the old BBM commercials. Where are the shots showing off everything the phone can do? Where is the time-shift camera? Where is BBM video? Where is a better shot of the flicking action from the keyboard? There are so many features that make BlackBerry stand out that don't get mentioned or shown off. It's almost like the current commercial tells me that the new Z10 will help me slide across wet grass and make a splash - heck, my current phone will do that! Where is the message that "BlackBerry is Back!"?

Then there is this whole AT&T launch day fiasco. I'm sure BlackBerry sent promotional media, but the stores aren't displaying it. Phones are placed in the back of the stores, out of sight, with nothing around them to promote it. Employees aren't trained, and some stores don't even know the phone is released (some thinking the launch is Sunday). Some stores are better informed, but where is the launch day consistency? Store employees swaying people away from the Z10, even. For a carrier to get first release in the US, it went over like a very soft opening.

It's almost as if the BlackBerry AT&T availability message is "Shhh... Yes, we have the Z10. Don't tell anyone."

I don't know if it is AT&T's fault, BlackBerry's, or the current aversion to BlackBerry that some people in the US feel towards the old BlackBerry, but it makes me feel like I'm watching my NCAA 16-seed team barely putting any effort into the game. Okay, so the USA is more like a 3 seed in the cell phone market, so that would make BlackBerry more of a 14 seed, but the analogy still is the same.

So, where is the fight? What is BlackBerry doing to show they deserve to be in the tournament? Are they calling AT&T to get more stores on board? Are they having their reps go around their markets and make sure stores are better trained? Are they working on better commercials to SHOW what the devices can do? Are they working on making sure the T-Mobile and Verizon releases are more vocal? Or are they just hoping that their fans, sitting up in the nose-bleed section will be loud enough to stir on the team?

I want BlackBerry to succeed. I want them to be aggressive. Just like an underdog in the tournament, I want them to head into the game working towards getting into the the championship game. I want them to not only believe they can win the game, but to show it in their stance, excitement, and game play. Right now, it almost feels like they are just happy to be in the tournament - taking a very passive approach to the game. The opponents (carriers, bloggers, analysts) are bigger, stronger, and more vocal. Sure, BlackBerry has their banners out all around their home town (Canada), but what are they doing to get the message out in opponent territory? I want BlackBerry to show they are in for the entire game, not letting the other team bury them in the first ten minutes. At times, it feels like BlackBerry is being flat-footed, walking down the court instead of running, almost standing on the court as a spectator rather than taking the shot and thinking they have what it takes to move on in the tournament. B E aggressive!

I really want to see BlackBerry fight for this game. I want to hear the fans, competitors, announcers, cheerleaders, and the team screaming (and believing) that BlackBerry is Back.
    03-23-13 09:54 AM
    i would like to see ads where the features are shown off. One thing is to pretend being superior, another is to actually be.

Blackberry can really show off in ads where it would knock off the iPhone, Androids, on highlighted features....
    Xopher likes this.
    03-23-13 10:12 AM
    I feel the same as you do. Everyday that I go somewhere I am getting the word out for both Crackberry and Blackberry with my truck.

BlackBerry fan creates the 'CrackBerry Dodge' to win a free BlackBerry 10 phone! | CrackBerry.com

Can't wait to get my Z10 to start showing off. Everyone I know seems to have the BlackBerry stigma cloud above their head. BlackBerry is in for a long road in the US, but will be successful with good marketing and fan support.
    Xopher likes this.
    03-23-13 10:17 AM