God forbid if the world becomes a world of Iphone clones...
    06-29-12 05:19 PM
    There are viable options besides the iPhone....
    Unfortunately, right now, BB 10 is not one of them.
    06-29-12 05:20 PM
    And wasting tons of capital and resources building a tablet (that despite what some say) can't be considered anything except a flop. And it wasn't an iPad.
    I could not agree more and will go one step further:

RIM needs to get out of the tablet space COMPLETELY. Discontinue the Playbook in all versions
    and concentrate on the smartphone space.

Now I know there will be two camps of disagreement, one being the current Playbook owners
    to whom I say get over it. The thing is a profit dog and RIM would be wise to just stop it's
    production now.

The other camp will be the "ecosystem" (that is really a dumbass term btw) champions. To
    them I say, until RIM can get it's core product line back on the right road all the forays into
    other areas will do nothing but hurt the brand.

Anything that is not moving off the shelves and showing a profit needs to be considered dead
    weight as of yesterday.
    06-29-12 05:48 PM
    That's a question only RIM can answer.RIM needs to listen to it's customers (loyal )listen to their investors listen to their stock holders ,,,,stop holding a deaf ear and stop talking and for God SAKE LISTEN!
    06-29-12 05:54 PM
    There are viable options besides the iPhone....
    Unfortunately, right now, BB 10 is not one of them.

I might argue that most of Iphone's competitors are really imitations. But you are technically correct there.
    Last edited by Speedygi; 06-29-12 at 09:16 PM.
    06-29-12 09:13 PM
    Just my amateur take on it.

RIM focused itself quite successfully on the enterprise market for a long time but consumers started adopting their products and they were ill prepared.

They released half baked products(Storm) and their product launches were almost all done wrong.

For instance the OS 7 launch. They let slip that they were working on a brand new OS and that the OS 7 was a stopgap basically. They also said it wouldn't be that long till the next generation came out and that the phones would not be able to be upgraded. Never do that in business.

Additionally the phones they launched were a half generation behind PALM and the Pre 3 which was launching at that time as well. This was actually consistent with almost every product launch they had since the iPhone leapfrogged them.

The OS 7 was also a bad launch because they chose to do one big launch not a staggered launch for the 99XX, 9810 and 9850/60 which didn't allow any of these phones enough attention on their own. Also it left them in a product drought as opposed to being that company always launching something new. They had enough products to do it.

Another issue has been proliferation of the product line. Apple has focused on one tiered product largely in this sector. Not 7 and their variants! I actually think its more The main point is that they have been producing all these budget compromised lines when they should have been launching their four core models, Curve, Torch, Touch, Bold then doing six month updates.

And all that is just the OS 7 launch, imagine what I could write about them from 2007!
    Last edited by BoldPreza; 06-29-12 at 09:58 PM.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    06-29-12 09:29 PM
    They simply tried to keep the main demographic happy. Business people who can afford a laptop or tablet and don't need the phone to do everything.
    06-30-12 12:31 AM
    Physical Keyboard. It held them back from creating their own iPhone 4S/Galaxy SIII like device.

Look it up, I said it many time how much I love it and hated Touch Screen but eventually you LEARN to love and accept it.

I started out with the Bold 9000, then the 9700 tried the iPhone 3GS and went back to 9800. I don't know if it was the Apps and/or just wanted the Fastest/Greatest Specs but after the Torch I was done with BlackBerry.

I said this about the PlayBook many times too. As much as I love it, the 64GB is not worth $750. Knowing Apple owns the Tablet war why would anyone pay that much when they could buy an iPad 2. I'm not sure who RIM but their products but this didn't help them.

Last point, is Marketing. It was non existent.
    06-30-12 07:39 AM
    God forbid if the world becomes a world of Iphone clones...
    That is why you (RIM) fail.

As they say learn from best. Just ask Samsung. LOL

I love both had the iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, Samsung Nexus S, Note LTE and soon Galaxy SIII. In a few months...iPhone 5.
    06-30-12 07:54 AM
    RIM probably won't go out of business just yet but it is now in serious trouble. The big marketing problem now is one of perception. BlackBerrys just ain't see as cool by kids today. This means they won't buy them. Worse if Mom and Pop buy one, their kids laugh at them. Somehow RIM have to ovecome this. I have no idea how.
    I agree that this is a huge problem. The corporate image that was part of their success is now part of their downfall.

One thing that could help with this: More cross-platform apps, especially social and recreational ones like Words With Friends. This helps to convey the message that BlackBerry isn't alone on an island of pain. And owning a BlackBerry doesn't mean isolation.
    06-30-12 01:20 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD