I agree, but if the company is effectively excluded from the market without significant grassroots support, then buying the stock is like buying last minute seats on the Titanic.
    I see - they are having troubles now and it is not a good idea to support them. So why are you calling out Canadians for not supporting BB.

Also BB had 80% percent of the Canadian smartphone market at its heyday. Every Canadian government agency (municipal, provincial and federal levels), corporations were buying BB phones and subscribe to BES. That a lot of grassroot support.
    Last edited by Ronindan; 10-05-16 at 07:14 AM.
    10-05-16 06:38 AM
    Lack of apps...updates....no marketing....and Chen is surprised Canadians haven't supported BlackBerry. Come on Chen you know better.
    10-05-16 06:54 AM
    I see - they are having troubles now and it is not a good idea to support them. So why are you calling out Canadians for not supporting BB.

Also BB had 80% percent of the Canadian smartphone market at its heyday. Every Canadian government agency (municipal, provincial and federal levels), corporations were buying BB phones and subscribe to BES. That a lot of grassroot support.
    Exactly my point.

When economic tough times hit a few years ago, the U.S. passed legislation which were know as the "buy American" laws. Many Americans applauded this government move and while I understand why, I'm not necessarily in agreement with the action. I'm not advocating similar government legislation, what I am saying is ; where is the Canadian groundswell of support from individuals, government agencies and corporations to rally round and support this national asset so it doesn't just go away like so many previous companies or products?

....or is Blackberry fated just to become another Avro Arrow ?
    10-05-16 09:47 AM
    BlackBerry ceased to be a national asset when the Z10 turned out to be a hardware failure and subsequently finding out that there would be no app gap fix. Canadians like consumers the world over do not want a PKB phone. They can satisfy a niche with a PKB running Android but they choose not to.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 12:28 PM
    Exactly my point.

When economic tough times hit a few years ago, the U.S. passed legislation which were know as the "buy American" laws. Many Americans applauded this government move and while I understand why, I'm not necessarily in agreement with the action. I'm not advocating similar government legislation, what I am saying is ; where is the Canadian groundswell of support from individuals, government agencies and corporations to rally round and support this national asset so it doesn't just go away like so many previous companies or products?

So why don't you buy BB stock then?
    10-05-16 06:36 PM
    So why don't you buy BB stock then?
    I have and continue to do so.

However, I'm not suggesting that's everyone's preferred path.
    10-05-16 07:05 PM
    Just for start. Not mentioning how it helps your economy and pride and stuff. But like I said Patriotism has levels.
    10-09-16 02:05 AM
    Exactly my point.

Now you've gone and done it.
    10-09-16 07:40 AM
    where is the Canadian groundswell of support from individuals, government agencies and corporations to rally round and support this national asset so it doesn't just go away like so many previous companies or products?

Although Obama always loved his BlackBerry, and Clinton uses one, I read in these forums that Trudeau, and his entourage, showed up in Washington sporting iPhones. In the past, he once dumped on his BlackBerry for the Canadian press to report. Guess the iPhone does better selfies-- lol.

BB, Still the One
    10-09-16 11:02 AM
    It was extremely unfair for Chen to compare BlackBerry to Nortel. Nortel was a massive corporate fraud, second in scope only to Enron, and its failure devastated millions of Canadians' pension funds. The public would have been furious if the government had tried to bail it out. The pension funds of former Nortel employees were somewhat compensated, but not the funds of investors.

Another failed Canadian company that was brought up in an earlier post, Corel, was buried by its egotistical chairman who considered himself to be a Canadian Donald Trump (or at least a circa 2000 Trump). His ego, his trophy wife and their tawdriness repulsed their customers, who couldn't switch fast enough to Microsoft and Adobe products.

BlackBerry too had gone off the rails in 2008, when it was at its peak financially. Balsillie spent more time trying to bring an NHL hockey team to Hamilton than he did running the company. Also, the whole co-CEO structure and the founders' conflict, not to mention arrogance, just turned people off.

So patriotism can only carry a company so far. People expect ethics, sound business practices and an absence of scandals, business or personal. I'm one of a handful of remaining patriots, but the general public is pretty unforgiving.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    10-09-16 01:06 PM
    In John Chen's recent Empire Club fireside chat, he mentioned his surprise at the historic lack of support from both Canadian carriers and consumers during Blackberry's recent well known challenges.
    If Mr. Chen is so arrogant to feel slighted by BlackBerry's home turf customers who have been ignored, forgotten, and as far as I am concerned, lied to by BlackBerry, he is out of touch with the business and it's customers.

BlackBerry is directly to blame for its market share losses and shoddy performance and it's customers have have to suffer through it all. BlackBerry did this all to itself and it doesn't get the right to cry "poor me!". As much as I love BlackBerry devices and still use one today, I have no sympathy for you Mr. Chen. None at all. Stop whining and fix the problems because right now, I don't see how my next phone will be a BlackBerry and frankly that disappoints me.
    10-09-16 01:26 PM
    People will go to whatever device they like. Doesn't matter what flag is behind it. The carriers don't like BlackBerry because they aren't selling. So that's why you don't find em in the stores.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-16 02:50 PM
    Believe it or not Brand Loyalty does exist for many people. If they had good experiences with a type of car, Cellular device or a lamp, they will buy another one.

Sasktel had this selection about a month ago. Never say "never."

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    Attached Thumbnails Where are the Canadians?-tapaupload0.jpg  
    10-09-16 03:06 PM
163 ... 567