As a Canadian why should I support an inferior product just because it wraps itself in the Canadian flag?
    Blackberry is not an inferior product, BB10 is unique, I love the physical keyboard, there are a lot of great attributes. I haven't seen anything in android or apple phones that would make me want to change. Even a famous someone believed the physical keyboard was a great option because an iphone add-on was worth developing.

I am very proud to be a Blackberry user, proud it is Canadian and very sad to see this icon be watered down to this level.

Posted via CB10
    TCB on Z10 and acovey like this.
    09-29-16 01:15 AM
    Canadian enough to ;
    - Design software
    - support Canadian employment
    - support the Canadian retirement fund.

I think that should be Canadian enough isn't it?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Fixed that for you to fix the new world.
    09-29-16 01:17 AM
    Guys, I think all of us are missing the point here. A CEO of a brand which used to be global claiming for patriotic feelings from his customers, investors or whatever? Seriously? I don't care about nationality. Almost all of you are Canadians, I'm Brazilian and... that's it. We're talking about business here, not patriotism. Canadians lost jobs because fall of BlackBerry? I'm so sorry, but that's capitalism means to be. You work for a company, the company is mismanaged, you lost your job. It doesn't matter if this company is Canadian, Brazilian, Thai or whatever... no company in 21st century have single nationality after all.

But, look, be proud! I'm Brazilian but love hockey and support Canadiens. Have two t-shirts really made in Canada already. I'm Brazilian but really like Messi and Argentina national team. I'm Brazilian but love British McLaren, support German Sebastian Vettel and love multinational F1. Buy stuff of all of them. I'm Brazilian and used to have a Passport, sold because it doesn't fit my needs anymore. So I changed it for a brand new American iPhone, designed in California but assembled in China with multinational pieces and chips. And, with all this... I'm Brazilian, ashamed with my country's politics, not exactly patriotic and with no need to feel bad because of this, supporter of Brazilian Sao Paulo FC and... I guess you took the point already. Talk about nationalism today is simply very strange. The fact Americans are doesn't make this something right, in fact I think it is the opposite. Mix patriotic claimings with business things is, imho, ridiculous, to stay on minimum.

Cheers,
    krazyatom likes this.
    09-29-16 02:06 AM
    Though I am a BlackBerry user and supporter, I also look at it this way. Not many people are happy with a Canadian company who launched their own products in other markets before their own, and usually with cheaper prices or promos unavailable in their home market.

You want more support from Canadians? Cater to Canadians first. I understand the difference in currency plays a major role here, so if adjusting price is an issue, offer some kind of incentive for Canadians instead.

Instead, they focused on the US as well as emerging markets, and left their home turf to suffer by way of charging more, and offering less of the same.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 04:28 AM
    As a Canadian I have purchased many of BlackBerry devices with my hard earned money only to be let down by no support or updates of course Chen has laid off (let go) most employees I used to get a good feeling when I drove by all the iconic BlackBerry building in Waterloo with my BlackBerry beside me however things have changed Mr.Chen and possibly people do not agree with the Android route I still see all kinds of BlackBerrys in people's hands but very few Privs or dtek (none) the way I see it a lot of people were forced to move on by BlackBerrys poor decisions Chen included I know he has a job to do but don't try to shame Canadians for BlackBerrys mistakes .I still drive a north american vehicle (mine made in Canada) because I can support Canadian jobs .
    09-29-16 06:27 AM
    I wonder how Apple or Samsung help their country by exporting products across the world.
    Apple export their main product from China right?
    09-29-16 06:33 AM
    Apple export their main product from China right?
    That's not the case. The money comes to US
    09-29-16 06:37 AM
    That's not the case. The money comes to US
    They don't pay their manufacturer ?
    09-29-16 06:50 AM
    They don't pay their manufacturer ?
    Well they do of course. But the money they pay to Foxconn plus the profit comes back to US after selling the phone right?
    09-29-16 06:54 AM
    As many Canadians have, I did give BlackBerry a chance with their Z10. It wasn't a good experience.
    Random reboots, short battery life, and I had 2 returns for the hardware burning up.
    I'm glad BlackBerry has gone Android. They can't afford to stand alone on their own little unique island and simply hope that customers show up. Whereas when BB10 rolled out, what you got was android apps giving BB10 most of its apps for a half respectable app selection.
    Again... that was my experience. And that's how I based my decision to switch to iPhone first then to Android which I quite enjoy. I have a waterproof handset that is tough as nails. I've dropped it several times without any issues whatsoever. I make phone calls, send texts, emails, and print from my phone all quite nicely. Picture quality is great so I don't have to light around a camera when I'm on vacation either. I still have BBM for the few contacts that I still have, but I can see dropping that next year.
    BlackBerry can point fingers of blame all they want for the situation they got themselves into. Time would be better spent looking in a mirror.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Bbnivende likes this.
    09-29-16 07:57 AM
    If you look at the Empire Club interview again, I think you'll agree he was revealing his genuine shock at the lack of of any Canadian corporate, government or consumer response to the market pummelling Blackberry was taking during their darkest hours. It is a daily occurrence that U.S. Senators get up and bemoan any contract awards to foreign suppliers. You just have to look no further than the Tanker deal to see what I mean.

I'm not complaining at the U.S. response because they have every right to do that in their own country, but where is the Canadian equivalent outrage ?
    It's targeted at the company, justifiably, but what most Canadians seem too naive and/or polite to notice is that at the same time the company was also being constantly checked from behind and high sticked in the face by goons paid for by Wall Street in a game that was rigged to take them out. That's where the outrage should have risen from, but instead we get apathy, with the exception of a lone reclusive (proud) Canadian billionaire who knows a thing or two about taking on Wall Street.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    09-29-16 08:28 AM
    Well they do of course. But the money they pay to Foxconn plus the profit comes back to US after selling the phone right?
    Yes of course; They charge more for the phone than it costs to manufacture. Always the money that eventually lives with the seller is one slice of the cake, and other companies (& countries) get the other slices.
    09-29-16 09:56 AM
    I have a question:

How come Android was the saviour to Motorola when they were just about bust, but the same did not help Blackberry?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Motorola adapted to the demands of consumers rather then try and dictate what consumers wanted.

Motorola offered a unique high end phone at mid range prices.
    They also offered a mid range phone and low end prices which was their true hero device.

The Moto X and Moto G were well built and the software was exactly how it should have been

Blackberry came out with a slider... at a high end price point.
    Most people dont want a PKB and wont pay extra for one.
    09-29-16 10:13 AM
    Blackberry is not an inferior product, BB10 is unique, I love the physical keyboard, there are a lot of great attributes. I haven't seen anything in android or apple phones that would make me want to change. Even a famous someone believed the physical keyboard was a great option because an iphone add-on was worth developing.

I am very proud to be a Blackberry user, proud it is Canadian and very sad to see this icon be watered down to this level.

Posted via CB10
    Except to many it is inferior

I used to love BB10 but using it now is like a massive step backwards.

Used to love PKB but the BB VKB has converted me. Could never give up the screen for a pkb now.

My main requirement on a phone is a good camera. Blackberry has never had that until the Priv and even the Priv wasnt one of the best.
    09-29-16 10:17 AM
    So, let me get this straight: according to the Canadians in this thread and the other, BlackBerry began to fall with either Heins or Chen, but not with the Canadian leadership who failed to stay up to date and relevent? And from others, that BlackBerry has turned their backs to Canada because they are no longer going with an OS (BB10) that was practically dead on arrival?

It's seems that what you really want is a product that is unique to Canada, no matter how out of date it may be.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    09-29-16 10:54 AM
    Hmm let me guess. Because it is home to many Canadians who worked there? Just for start. Not mentioning how it helps your economy and pride and stuff. But like I said Patriotism has levels.
    Do you buy Canadian when ever you can? The topic is a very slippery slope.
    09-29-16 11:14 AM
    Do you buy Canadian when ever you can? The topic is a very slippery slope.
    I'm not Canadian. But I buy Turkish whenever I can. Even when fueling up my car. Its a stance.
    09-29-16 11:16 AM
    In John Chen's recent Empire Club fireside chat, he mentioned his surprise at the historic lack of support from both Canadian carriers and consumers during Blackberry's recent well known challenges.

He also mentioned Nortel as another domestically abandoned iconic Canadian market leader, which is now typically mentioned by the media in conjunction with Blackberry's fall from prominence. Are Canadians maintaining our famous polite indifference or displaying our well known national low self esteem ? Here we are today greeting the announcement of Blackberry's exit from designing and manufacturing hardware with silent resignation as we watch another Canadian point of pride is driven out of a marketplace they helped create.
    Is this the same Nortel which was the Canadian poster child of major fraudulent behavior that led to its downfall? Are memories seriously that short?

One can understand when ICE (U.S. Immigration) elected to move wholesale to Apple, in part to channel taxpayer funding to support their domestic player and (I'm sure) comply with the very vocal local Congressmen to do the patriotic thing and buy American. Nothing wrong in that. However, I've not heard one Canadian voice or institution stand up and a show any concern or support for this home grown innovative company whose brand is known around the world. Where are our politicians giving tangible support to keep this company able to compete internationally by supporting it at home?

I can only surmise that John's "surprise" comes from knowing this type of national indifference would never happen in the U.S. or for that matter in China.
    Nope. Same lame shaming has occurred in the every industry in every country. Cue the outcry when US manufacturing went overseas. Ditto the air industry (those were some seriously well-paid blue collar jobs lost there. Lumber. Shall we go on?
    09-29-16 11:21 AM
    I'm not Canadian. But I buy Turkish whenever I can. Even when fueling up my car. Its a stance.
    Apologies for mistaking your location.
    09-29-16 11:22 AM
    Apologies for mistaking your location.
    Not a problem a bit. .
    09-29-16 11:22 AM
    Is this the same Nortel which was the Canadian poster child of major fraudulent behavior that led to its downfall? Are memories seriously that short?

Nope. Same lame shaming has occurred in the every industry in every country. Cue the outcry when US manufacturing went overseas. Ditto the air industry (those were some seriously well-paid blue collar jobs lost there. Lumber. Shall we go on?
    But this does not make it right? Does it?

Anyways, these are political stances. No need to discuss.
    09-29-16 11:25 AM
    I have a question:

How come Android was the saviour to Motorola when they were just about bust, but the same did not help Blackberry?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Motorola was in the right place at the right time. When Verizon was looking for an alternative to the iPhone(and BB couldn't provide one in time), Moto was tapped for it. Verizon had millions in advertising money and was willing to spend it on BB, but they fouled up, and we got the Droid line from Moto and the "iDon't/Droid Does" campaign, mocking the iPhone.
    09-29-16 11:37 AM
    Motorola was in the right place at the right time. When Verizon was looking for an alternative to the iPhone(and BB couldn't provide one in time), Moto was tapped for it. Verizon had millions in advertising money and was willing to spend it on BB, but they fouled up, and we got the Droid line from Moto and the "iDon't/Droid Does" campaign, mocking the iPhone.
    Er... Motorola is dead too. Only difference between it and Blackberry is somebody wanted to spend some bucks to buy its remains. But today's Motorola isn't the same old Motorola, not at all...

Cheers,
    09-29-16 11:48 AM
    To be fair, we had this, remember?

09-29-16 11:51 AM
    the company was also being constantly checked from behind and high sticked in the face by goons paid for by Wall Street in a game that was rigged to take them out.
    Yes, the market shortsellers and their media buddies!

BB, Still the One
    09-29-16 12:06 PM
163 ... 23456 ...